U Chicago 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
puppleberry finn

Silver

Re: U Chicago 2010

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 pm

rayiner wrote: What would also be nice: ponies.
oh are they handing those out now at northwestern poly tech?

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm

rayiner wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:otoh it is frustrating, to be complete for months and months and not have a decision while other schools are already making $ offers. it's hard to factor chicago into those calculations, because not only do I not know if they will offer comparable financial aid, but I don't even know if I will be accepted. it would be nice to have more than a week or two in April to weigh my options.
What would also be nice: ponies.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:
rayiner wrote: What would also be nice: ponies.
oh are they handing those out now at northwestern poly tech?
I hear they're handing them out at Harvard.

So I guess neither of us are getting ponies...

LDC

New

Post by LDC » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Any guesses as to when those of us who went UR 2/15 or thereabouts will hear?

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Got my financial aid !

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Kretzy wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:otoh it is frustrating, to be complete for months and months and not have a decision while other schools are already making $ offers. it's hard to factor chicago into those calculations, because not only do I not know if they will offer comparable financial aid, but I don't even know if I will be accepted. it would be nice to have more than a week or two in April to weigh my options.
Honestly, this is a fair complaint, but do we really think Chicago will extend many offers after its ASW? I'd imagine almost every admit will be admitted with time to book a flight to Chicago for April 8-10; if not, that would be pretty shitty on UofC's part.
It's hard to imagine Chicago getting through all the applications before 4/8, especially if people who submitted in December are not under review yet. I submitted mid-January and I'm not even complete yet. I visited Chicago for undergrad and I have a pretty good idea what the school, the city and the midwest are like, so missing the ASW is not a deal-breaker for me.

legendwaitforitdairy

New

Post by legendwaitforitdairy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 pm

lz06 wrote:Got my financial aid !

ahh!! omg congrats!!! did you get it via email?? I'm waiting to see if i get any....and its killlllling me!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 pm

To the above, do you have really high numbers? I haven't gotten mine yet, I was admitted back in Dec: (, still haven't gotten anything even though I turned in all of my stuff.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:33 am

I apologize for interrupting the scholarship parade, but I have a question about how long it takes to get a decision after one goes under review. I went UR on 2/9. Is there a chance I could hear back this week? Chicago has been (painfully) consistent and predictable with the timing of its complete and UR processing. Are they as consistent with releasing decisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

captainkirk

New

Post by captainkirk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 am

Dignan wrote:I apologize for interrupting the scholarship parade, but I have a question about how long it takes to get a decision after one goes under review. I went UR on 2/9. Is there a chance I could hear back this week? Chicago has been (painfully) consistent and predictable with the timing of its complete and UR processing. Are they as consistent with releasing decisions?
I'm not sure if they are following any sort of pattern as far as decisions release dates go, but I was UR for about 3-4 weeks before I got my decision, if that helps. I'm pretty sure some people were UR for a bit longer/shorter, IIRC.

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

Anyone hear back who was invited to apply for the Merit Scholarship? It's been well over a week.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 am

ranovr32 wrote:To the above, do you have really high numbers? I haven't gotten mine yet, I was admitted back in Dec: (, still haven't gotten anything even though I turned in all of my stuff.
Most of the "Financial Aid" that is coming out right now is basically merit scholarships... i don't think the normal aid has been calculated yet.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:Anyone hear back who was invited to apply for the Merit Scholarship? It's been well over a week.
I am still a little weirded out about the phrasing of my invitation: you haven't been accepted yet, but write us an essay and we may give you an unspecified amount of money, b/c you seem awesome. It really does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the place. Instead, it feels like they are looking at me solely in terms of how my attendance would help their numbers and how if I declined their offer it would hurt their numbers.

And, no, still no word. I applied in October.

For the record, I have had more personal contact from HLS than any other school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 pm

skynet wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:Anyone hear back who was invited to apply for the Merit Scholarship? It's been well over a week.
I am still a little weirded out about the phrasing of my invitation: you haven't been accepted yet, but write us an essay and we may give you an unspecified amount of money, b/c you seem awesome. It really does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the place. Instead, it feels like they are looking at me solely in terms of how my attendance would help their numbers and how if I declined their offer it would hurt their numbers.

For the record, I have had more personal contact from HLS than any other school.
+1. I also went complete in October, and I also applied for the merit scholarship. I really thought that after the 15th passed everyone who submitted their merit essay was going to get an offer of admission, but evidently not.

GlobeTrotter

New

Post by GlobeTrotter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
skynet wrote:

+1. I also went complete in October, and I also applied for the merit scholarship. I really thought that after the 15th passed everyone who submitted their merit essay was going to get an offer of admission, but evidently not.
+1 I think the plan is to YP the people who don't bother to write the 500 word essay.

AWegrzyn17

New

Post by AWegrzyn17 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm

Got my fin aid letter via email today. 15k a year for merit scholarship. Had the break down of scholarship, stafford loans and direct loans along with costs of attendence as well.

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm just concerned because the people who were accepted flat-out have been getting fin aid offers, and plenty of them have been in the 60 to 90K range. That's a lot of money, and I frankly don't see myself at least getting more than that. Show us some love, Chicago, and some $$$$!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
skynet wrote:

+1 I think the plan is to YP the people who don't bother to write the 500 word essay.

Not to cause undue alarm, but someone whom I know wrote the essay and got WL'ed or dinged (I can't remember which) anyway.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 pm

[quote="CardinalRules"

Not to cause undue alarm, but someone whom I know wrote the essay and got WL'ed or dinged (I can't remember which) anyway.[/quote]

Unless that person really ****ed up the essay, that's just TTT.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I read the essay, and it was OK. Nothing remarkable, but nothing glaringly wrong either. Oh, and I just checked with the person: straight-up ding.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Are they just handing out merit right now, or the whole scholly package. If the latter, where is mine. :evil:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Are they just handing out merit right now, or the whole scholly package. If the latter, where is mine. :evil:
Everything is together. They don't differentiate.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Are they just handing out merit right now, or the whole scholly package. If the latter, where is mine. :evil:
Then where is my package. :(

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Kronk wrote:
I think they're not done sending them out yet. Should know by tomorrow or Friday.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Kronk wrote:
I think they're not done sending them out yet. Should know by tomorrow or Friday.
Oh, well thanks for the heads up! I hope I get something...it would make my decision easier if I don't get something from NYU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”