U Chicago 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Gold

Re: U Chicago 2010

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:33 pm

The WL emails are all the same people.

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:40 pm

crackberry wrote:The WL emails are all the same people.
Thanks for the info.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 pm

eas331 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
You and I have exactly the same numbers (to the same one-hundreth of a GPA point). I think we'd be near the top of their WL pile. I've already withdrawn, but if you want Chicago, you should definitely pursue it.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 pm

crackberry wrote:
eas331 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
You and I have exactly the same numbers (to the same one-hundreth of a GPA point). I think we'd be near the top of their WL pile. I've already withdrawn, but if you want Chicago, you should definitely pursue it.
Crack, i got the WL too...do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that cali residents would self-select schools from the coasts?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm

TheWire wrote:
crackberry wrote:
eas331 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Crack, i got the WL too...do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that cali residents would self-select schools from the coasts?
Haha maybe? BioE was also WLed and I would have thought at least one of us would have gotten in.

Chicago definitely takes some California kids though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:51 pm

TheWire wrote:
crackberry wrote:
eas331 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Speaking of self-selecting, I did my undergrad at that other good university in the Chicago area -- you know, where students are well-rounded and stuff... Maybe the U of C knew I'd have a hard time swallowing my prejudices, even though I know their law school is outstanding. :wink:

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:52 pm

TheWire wrote:
crackberry wrote:
eas331 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
I got WL'd with identical numbers to you from the east coast (South FL). Maybe the coast theory is correct. Or maybe my application sucked :|

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:57 pm

At the risk of sounding extremely immodest, I am shocked by some of the applicants Chicago is WLing this cycle, including myself. My best guesses are A) they know some of us aren't interested and it's a very selective form of YP or B) something about our applications rubbed them the wrong way.

It can't be numbers-related. People with lower numbers than many people on the WL have gotten in, and people with numbers above both medians (and, in some cases, above one 75th and median>other>75) have been WLed.

I think Chicago knows who is a good fit and who is not.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm

crackberry wrote:At the risk of sounding extremely immodest, I am shocked by some of the applicants Chicago is WLing this cycle, including myself. My best guesses are A) they know some of us aren't interested and it's a very selective form of YP or B) something about our applications rubbed them the wrong way.
Besides Y and S, Chicago is the only law school in the T10 with a small class size. I've noticed that schools with smaller class sizes tend to make more difficult-to-explain decisions. Even Cornell, which is obviously quite a bit less selective than Chicago, makes some curious choices during the admissions cycle. It makes sense, I guess. When a school has 180 seats to fill instead of 500, they're more free to rely on "will they fit in?" intuitions and other idiosyncratic criteria.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:06 pm

crackberry wrote:At the risk of sounding extremely immodest, I am shocked by some of the applicants Chicago is WLing this cycle, including myself. My best guesses are A) they know some of us aren't interested and it's a very selective form of YP or B) something about our applications rubbed them the wrong way.

It can't be numbers-related. People with lower numbers than many people on the WL have gotten in, and people with numbers above both medians (and, in some cases, above one 75th and median>other>75) have been WLed.

I agree. I mean, they kinda hit it on the money...the WLers in this thread don't seem nearly as heart broken as those in other threads. My friend from Berkeley was trying to give me perspective on how Boalt yield like 4 times the amount of cross admits with Michigan. I think in this case, maybe UofC realizes the some people (for varying reasons) aren't necessarily Uber excited about the midwest. FWIW, bioE and I went to high school together, and it seems like our decisions to go to public UG's didn't fly with UofC

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:09 pm

My last realistic shot at entering legal academia, my dream career, most likely just went out the window, so if they were banking on "A" then they're unfortunately incorrect. That said, I was exactly at medians, an LSAT retaker, and a non URM with less than a year of work experience. I sincerely doubt that I'm YP material.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm

js87 wrote:

My last realistic shot at entering legal academia, my dream career, most likely just went out the window, so if they were banking on "A" then they're unfortunately incorrect. That said, I was exactly at medians, an LSAT retaker, and a non URM with less than a year of work experience. I sincerely doubt that I'm YP material.
Be #1 in your class next year and transfer to Yale.

Yes I know it's not that simple.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Dignan wrote:
Besides Y and S, Chicago is the only law school in the T10 with a small class size. I've noticed that schools with smaller class sizes tend to make more difficult-to-explain decisions. Even Cornell, which is obviously quite a bit less selective than Chicago, makes some curious choices during the admissions cycle. It makes sense, I guess. When a school has 180 seats to fill instead of 500, they're more free to rely on "will they fit in?" intuitions and other idiosyncratic criteria.
Credited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Crack, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this "fitting in" thing. As Dignan mentioned, Chicago is small and has the ability to be more selective in terms of non-quantitative criteria.

And Wire, just because Chicago doesn't seem to love the UCs doesn't mean they're not awesome :D
js87 wrote: My last realistic shot at entering legal academia, my dream career, most likely just went out the window, so if they were banking on "A" then they're unfortunately incorrect. That said, I was exactly at medians, an LSAT retaker, and a non URM with less than a year of work experience. I sincerely doubt that I'm YP material.
Sorry to hear this, js.

WhatUpKells

New

Post by WhatUpKells » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

js87 wrote:

This. My cycle is driving me insane.

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

js87 wrote:
Sounds like you should write that extra essay! Good luck!

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Maybe I should send the adcomms a note: "Hey guys, while you're plumbing the depths of my soul, can you tell me what season I am?"

Theory: Chicago is putting out more merit money in an effort to pull some applicants away from HYS, and is using the WL as a reserve in case that gambit fails. The WL'ed applicants are not necessarily YP, but their desire didn't jump out for some reason and so the school isn't ready to commit to them just yet.

If I'm anywhere close to the truth (disclaimer: probably not), then there could be some significant WL action in March and April

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:16 pm

I have to say my PS was perfect to fit in at Chicago if they took it seriously. However, my numbers are what kept me out. Also I'm not sure if I would pay sticker at any school, so maybe they followed me on this board and figured that out.

stopscreaming

New

Post by stopscreaming » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Dignan wrote:
As one of the aforementioned people who got in with lower numbers, I think that the second explanation sounds right. My U of C acceptance letter was the first one I have seen which actually seemed tailored to me specifically. "You were chosen because of..." Even with Michigan, where Dean Z adds hand written notes, nothing was this specific.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 pm

:shock:

now am terrified re: WLs.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Crack, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this "fitting in" thing. As Dignan mentioned, Chicago is small and has the ability to be more selective in terms of non-quantitative criteria.

And Wire, just because Chicago doesn't seem to love the UCs doesn't mean they're not awesome :D
js87 wrote: My last realistic shot at entering legal academia, my dream career, most likely just went out the window, so if they were banking on "A" then they're unfortunately incorrect. That said, I was exactly at medians, an LSAT retaker, and a non URM with less than a year of work experience. I sincerely doubt that I'm YP material.
Sorry to hear this, js.
Bio...
Of course; not like I'm trippin' about future prospects.

If i get into berk. ill be there to visit and u should kick it with me and Mr.Trojan-boalt. I'm gonna show you how to slay them bitches...ask our boy, my advice has paid dividends for him @ boalt. Imagine the tools I can supply you with to dominate an entire undergrad...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm

puppleberry finn wrote::shock:

now am terrified re: WLs.
Don't be. Rejection email will arrive soon enough. hth.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 pm

My status checker has said "Application Received" since 01/06. Should I send them an email to find out why I still haven't gone complete or is this the standard length?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:My status checker has said "Application Received" since 01/06. Should I send them an email to find out why I still haven't gone complete or is this the standard length?
I was at app received for months.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 am

stopscreaming wrote:
Dignan wrote:
As one of the aforementioned people who got in with lower numbers, I think that the second explanation sounds right. My U of C acceptance letter was the first one I have seen which actually seemed tailored to me specifically. "You were chosen because of..." Even with Michigan, where Dean Z adds hand written notes, nothing was this specific.
I got WL'd today with numbers that, by all rights, should have gotten me dinged straight out. I may actually start to believe that they're even reading our applications. There's no other reason for them to have kept me, really.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”