Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Emma.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Emma. » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:27 pm

clskelton wrote:What's a ts1 and ts2? My interview (jr1) is scheduled for tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed!

TS = Toby Stock. Replaced by Josh Rubenstein this year, hence the JR1.

clskelton

Postby clskelton » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 pm

emrose wrote:
clskelton wrote:What's a ts1 and ts2? My interview (jr1) is scheduled for tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed!

TS = Toby Stock. Replaced by Josh Rubenstein this year, hence the JR1.

Thanks and good luck!

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Chichaca wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:my JR1 went just over 6 minutes. seemed like we'd barely started talking when it ended. other than it seeming so short, i think it went pretty well. of course, it's what he thinks and not what i think that matters, so we'll see.

Same: 6 minutes 18 seconds. I'm not overly concerned about the length of the interview. I stuttered a little bit (nerves), but the content of what I said was fine.

I also asked if they've seen a huge increase in applicants. He said although it's still early in the cycle, so far there's definitely been an increase but nothing crazy or apocalyptic.

Nice question.. didn't think to ask that. Yeah but I believe that while there is an uptick in applications this year, the amount applying to the very top schools hasn't changed that drastically.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 pm

If I went 'Under Review' on 11/4, when should I expect to get the e-mail? If in fact I do get it...

third row m

Postby third row m » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:35 pm

The Dan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
badwillhunting wrote:
zamd006 wrote:Do you guys know of anyone, in the past few years, getting their TS1 before Nov 20th and ultimately getting rejected?

so i actually did some digging on this (on a very slow day at work). went through every single person on lsn who applied to harvard last year. of those who actually listed they had a ts1 before thanksgiving, 100% were accepted.

now, that obviously doesn't mean that 100% of the entire universe of people who got ts1's before thanksgiving got ts2's... but it's at worst a positive sign for those of us who have already had jr1's.

(in other words: i am pondering changing my (actual, legal) name to "fingers crossed")

How big was the sample size?

Doesn't matter. The sample is probably biased.

the sample is obviously biased... lsn notoriously gives people the wrong idea.

Isa

Postby Isa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:20 am

logically, those of us with JR1s but no "complete" email should receive a complete email before next week if we're going to be in the pre-Thanksgiving batch, right? argh

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am

Isa wrote:logically, those of us with JR1s but no "complete" email should receive a complete email before next week if we're going to be in the pre-Thanksgiving batch, right? argh

not necessarily, i don't think, i think many schools are extremely delayed with online updates -- don't think it's uncommon for admittance calls to come before status checker/online confirmation

zamd006

Postby zamd006 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 am

Do we have a consensus on whether this year has been noticeably different from last year? I mean, so far the people who have received JR1's are exceptional right? they don't have lower numbers or things like that correct?

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 am

If pre-thanksgiving TS1s weren't overwhelming favorites to get a TS2, I find it difficult to believe that every single rejection went to a person too ashamed to post the fact on their anonymous LSN account. The complete absence of such reported rejections leads me to believe that the success rate is at least 90-95 percent.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 am

soullesswonder wrote:If pre-thanksgiving TS1s weren't overwhelming favorites to get a TS2, I find it difficult to believe that every single rejection went to a person too ashamed to post the fact on their anonymous LSN account. The complete absence of such reported rejections leads me to believe that the success rate is at least 90-95 percent.

Let's hope you're right.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:32 am

zamd006 wrote:Do we have a consensus on whether this year has been noticeably different from last year? I mean, so far the people who have received JR1's are exceptional right? they don't have lower numbers or things like that correct?

A bunch of people with ~170 LSAT scores have gotten JR1s, but they generally have GPAs at or above Harvard's 75th percentile.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 am

soullesswonder wrote:If pre-thanksgiving TS1s weren't overwhelming favorites to get a TS2, I find it difficult to believe that every single rejection went to a person too ashamed to post the fact on their anonymous LSN account. The complete absence of such reported rejections leads me to believe that the success rate is at least 90-95 percent.

i like your logic! +1 lol

T14

Postby T14 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 am

I was thinking the same thing and, of course, really hope this is true.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:37 am

crackberry wrote:
zamd006 wrote:Do we have a consensus on whether this year has been noticeably different from last year? I mean, so far the people who have received JR1's are exceptional right? they don't have lower numbers or things like that correct?

A bunch of people with ~170 LSAT scores have gotten JR1s, but they generally have GPAs at or above Harvard's 75th percentile.

so yeah, nothing earth shattering. some have amazing numbers, some have good numbers, and others have had 'good enough' numbers. i havent seen anyone who got a JR1 w/ numbers that shocked me - though im sure a great PS and softs may be the reason why such a person would get a JR1 right now.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 am

T14 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing and, of course, really hope this is true.

only thing that worries me is if they change things up THIS yr like have MORE JR1's or try to get waitlists out sooner and that somehow throws it out of whack.

we'll have to see in a week! exciting/scary/gut wrenching

emptybee

Postby emptybee » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:43 am

Everyone keeps talking about there being no pre-Thanksgiving JR1's that posted a rejection on LSN. But are they many (any?) post-Thanksgiving JR1's that actually posted their getting a JR1 but not JR2?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 am

emptybee wrote:Everyone keeps talking about there being no pre-Thanksgiving JR1's that posted a rejection on LSN. But are they many (any?) post-Thanksgiving JR1's that actually posted their getting a JR1 but not JR2?

i think there are some but not many...but keep in mind, getting a JR1 and not getting a JR2 (or rather TS really since we dont know EXACTLY how JR is doing it) is already somewhat rare (~25%).

If LSN is a sample size of say 10% of applicants, we'd assume we could find 30 of such individuals...though im betting a lot of them are the ones who have apps that still say "pending." if im getting rejected or dont hear anything for almost a yr, im not updating my LSN! hahaha

clskelton

Postby clskelton » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:10 am

Twelve hours until my JR1! Anyone else doing it tomorrow?

I would imagine that they are interviewing a variety of candidates, both those with strong stats and those with strong softs. (I would place myself in the former category, but I don't know.) Probably there will be a greater proportion of candidates interviewed early in the cycle, when there are fewer total applicants.

My personal timetable was application complete on 11/5, under review on 11/9, interview email on 11/13, interview scheduled for 11/18.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:21 am

inspired by the person who asked JR if there were more apps this yr than last - i have a question for those who have received the JR1 email but not yet the actual interview...it would help a lot of us in this thread to hear something substantial from the horse's mouth instead of simply speculating.

your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to ask JR if they have been/will be giving out more JR1's (phone interviews) this yr than last cycle.

personally, i am extremely curious as to what the answer is.

ylc

Postby ylc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
emptybee wrote:Everyone keeps talking about there being no pre-Thanksgiving JR1's that posted a rejection on LSN. But are they many (any?) post-Thanksgiving JR1's that actually posted their getting a JR1 but not JR2?

i think there are some but not many...but keep in mind, getting a JR1 and not getting a JR2 (or rather TS really since we dont know EXACTLY how JR is doing it) is already somewhat rare (~25%).

If LSN is a sample size of say 10% of applicants, we'd assume we could find 30 of such individuals...though im betting a lot of them are the ones who have apps that still say "pending." if im getting rejected or dont hear anything for almost a yr, im not updating my LSN! hahaha

I read through some of last year's threads and, if I'm remembering right, found only one person who was waitlisted and ended up at Columbia. To me this means that either the 1100 interviews thing is fallacious or else that TLS really is unrepresentative of the whole.

emptybee

Postby emptybee » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 pm

ylc wrote:I read through some of last year's threads and, if I'm remembering right, found only one person who was waitlisted and ended up at Columbia. To me this means that either the 1100 interviews thing is fallacious or else that TLS really is unrepresentative of the whole.

I still believe that a fair number of people get JR1 but not JR2 and that Harvard has no reason to lie about the whole 800/1100 thing. That being said, TLS/LSN may be a bit unrepresentative...we all know about the interview, what to expect, etc...

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm

ylc wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

I read through some of last year's threads and, if I'm remembering right, found only one person who was waitlisted and ended up at Columbia. To me this means that either the 1100 interviews thing is fallacious or else that TLS really is unrepresentative of the whole.

the ~1100 interviews and ~830 acceptances are definitely true - it has been confirmed by various adcomms and HLS deans multiple times, and i see no reason for them to lie about that

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ylc wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

the ~1100 interviews and ~830 acceptances are definitely true - it has been confirmed by various adcomms and HLS deans multiple times

TITCR. if you look on LSN the # of apps to harvard is well below even the 830 admits (only 414 at last check). there are a huge # of people out there applying to HLS who are on neither TLS nor LSN -- my guess is a large percentage of the JR1s without JR2s is coming from them. all above points about TLS/LSN being a biased/unrepresentative sample are correct, imo.

ylc

Postby ylc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:42 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
the ~1100 interviews and ~830 acceptances are definitely true - it has been confirmed by various adcomms and HLS deans multiple times, and i see no reason for them to lie about that

The reason would be to make the 5% rejected feel better about themselves :)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 pm

ylc wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

The reason would be to make the 5% rejected feel better about themselves :)

lol why would HLS care about this?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”