Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MeredithGrey

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MeredithGrey » Wed May 05, 2010 12:58 pm

It's actually not bad. zero from undergrad tuition/board, zero for tuition after that. Most of my loans were for living expenses after undergrad. Law schools on the other hand, have not been as generous. Although this is only from one school (Gtown). I am on 5 other t14 waiting lists. *Sigh*

Cinco de Mayo is here and still no decision.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 am

Its really quiet around here. Am I the only one left waiting? Who else is waiting for an initial decision, and when did you go complete? r6 are you still around?

I really hope we hear by Friday.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:Its really quiet around here. Am I the only one left waiting? Who else is waiting for an initial decision, and when did you go complete? r6 are you still around?

I really hope we hear by Friday.

Yup. I guess we will hear when we hear. Maybe they forgot to tell us we were waitlisted. :lol:

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Well my status still says under review.

A waitlist would actually be an honor and I would be totally excited about it!

But it could be either and we'll just have to wait and see.

I really do hope they tell us something by tomorrow.

Gtown asked me for a binding commitment to attend in 2011 and I got an extension to make the decision by the end of this week. If I am waitlisted at HLS, I think I'll turn down the offer (even though I LOVED Gtown and studying law in DC!) because since I'll be at Harvard anyway 2010-2011 for graduate school, I can take my chances and ride out the waitlist and worst case scenario reapply if I dont get in.

Again, a waitlist would be totally incredible, and I would be more than excited about it, but at this point, anything is possible, and unfortunately, I dont think its necessarily a waitlist.

Best of luck!

Edit: Well I do think we'll hear today or tomorrow. some more rejections today on LSN, with around the same completion date as me. Praying for a decision by tomorrow!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Best of luck to you! If I were you I'd just decline gtown and go to H for the policy school. I was interested in the joint degree too but I wouldn't want to do an extra year. I think ABA doesn't allow credits earned before law school matriculation to go toward the JD, so are you going to finish the policy degree before law schol? I am actually probably heading to policy school too this fall, but I hope to work out a joint degree once I start law school since I will only be half way done the policy degree. I am probably going to be doing a MS and the policy masters at the same time. I still haven't heard from Cornell yet, but that is pretty much inconsequential.

lta

Postby lta » Thu May 06, 2010 2:15 pm

she's going to be in the mph program, not mpp.

but...yeah... ms. gray, won't you lose a lot of the joint mph/jd financial benefits by doing a whole year of your mph before entering jd (at hls)?

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 pm

yea the jd-mph at HLS is really unique in that its 3 yrs and a summer so you save time and money. There is no other program like it in the country. Anywhere else JD/MPH is 4 yrs. So even if I dont get into HLS, an MPH from HSPH is still my first choice because even if I wait another year to retake the LSAT and reapply, I will be delaying what I want to do by another year. Also there is no certainty that I will be admitted to the combined program even next year at HLS. So I might as well get started now, plus I am really looking forward to starting public health school and got a generous award from HSPH! Then next year I can apply again (and much earlier this time!!) or go to Gtown. Either way it'll be a 4 year process (unless I get into the combined program THIS year at HLS).

Also I feel like if I study all over for the LSAT my peak will pretty much be 170. Science and medicine have caused me to have a reading habit that is very meticulous and thorough and it will be hard for me to break that habit in a short time. I think I can improve but am not confident I can do better than a 170, realistically. So even next year I may not get into Harvards JD/MPH program. Also if I retake I would definitely do it in Sept because the late applications and LSAT have put me on 5 waiting lists and counting :)

Are you still waiting too lta? Lets hope we get an answer by tomorrow! Everyone on LSN with complete dates in March and April now officially have a decision. I want to move on with this decision but I can't until I hear back from them, and dont think Gtown will give me another extension (nor do I think it's fair if I ask them too).
Last edited by MeredithGrey on Thu May 06, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 06, 2010 4:08 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:Are you still waiting too lta? Lets hope we get an answer by tomorrow! Everyone on LSN with complete dates in March and April now officially has a decision. I want to move on with this decision but I can't until I hear back from them, and dont think Gtown will give me another extension (nor do I think it's fair if I ask them too).

There is a bug on LSN's javascript that if you use the pop up calendar to chose your decision date it goes into the completion box instead if you don't already have a completion date picked. So I wouldn't necessary say that people who completed in April received decisions.

There is one rejection reported today that has a 3/30 completion date, that's later than both ours. However that looks like an auto reject. So maybe we are actually in consideration. Maybe there is no point in issuing us a WL now, might as well hold until deposits are finalized and make decisions until then with the rest of the WL? I hope not but possible.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 06, 2010 4:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MeredithGrey wrote:Are you still waiting too lta? Lets hope we get an answer by tomorrow! Everyone on LSN with complete dates in March and April now officially has a decision. I want to move on with this decision but I can't until I hear back from them, and dont think Gtown will give me another extension (nor do I think it's fair if I ask them too).

There is a bug on LSN's javascript that if you use the pop up calendar to chose your decision date it goes into the completion box instead if you don't already have a completion date picked. So I wouldn't necessary say that people who completed in April received decisions.

There is one rejection reported today that has a 3/30 completion date, that's later than both ours. However that looks like an auto reject. So maybe we are actually in consideration. Maybe there is no point in issuing us a WL now, might as well hold until deposits are finalized and make decisions until then with the rest of the WL? I hope not but possible.

I just hit the completion date link (not decision date) and saw that everyone with a March or April completion date already has a decision (and there is no one pending, propabably because these LSN members are more recent and more likely to update their account). I really hope the scenario you propose doesn't occur. I think we should get an initial decision first, and soon, especially given all the deadlines schools are imposing on us :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 06, 2010 6:07 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:I just hit the completion date link (not decision date) and saw that everyone with a March or April completion date already has a decision (and there is no one pending, propabably because these LSN members are more recent and more likely to update their account). I really hope the scenario you propose doesn't occur. I think we should get an initial decision first, and soon, especially given all the deadlines schools are imposing on us :(

I was explaining in tech talk that when people trying to fill out their decision date, it ends up being saved as their completion date instead. So most people who's completion date says April but decision date is blank should really have their decision date as April and completion date blank. It's a programming error on LSN. I think Harvard stated that if you are complete before the deadline you will receive timely review and decision. So since we went complete in March, they are not obligated to grant full consideration to our apps.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Applying late was an overall bad idea. I'm really not quite sure what to do if I am not given a decision by tomorrow. HSPH suggested I email them about my situation and ask about a timeline. I don't really want to rush them so I didn't. Lta did you submit your app on time? I think as long as you submit your app by feb 1 eve if the rest of the stuff comes in a little later you still are considered on time. I submitted after the deadline but they said they were still accepting applications.

Lt. Aldo Raine

Postby Lt. Aldo Raine » Thu May 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Am I still alive?

I went complete in late March but I've been under review since mid-March.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Lt. Aldo Raine wrote:Am I still alive?

I went complete in late March but I've been under review since mid-March.

You make 4 of us still waiting. They've starting pulling from the waitlist, so I dont think we are a priority, maybe because of our lateness :(

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:15 am

Has anybody else that got wait-listed without a JR1 received an invitation lately? I just got a JR 1 for Monday and I'm ecstatic!
162 3.8 URM ----Do you think chances are better since I got the JR 1 after being on the wait-list without one?

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:26 am

allstarballer22 wrote:Has anybody else that got wait-listed without a JR1 received an invitation lately? I just got a JR 1 for Monday and I'm ecstatic!
162 3.8 URM ----Do you think chances are better since I got the JR 1 after being on the wait-list without one?

Congrats, chances are obviously pretty good, what is the point otherwise of a JR1 this late in the cycle. Good luck with the interview!!

Core

Postby Core » Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 am

allstarballer22 wrote:Has anybody else that got wait-listed without a JR1 received an invitation lately? I just got a JR 1 for Monday and I'm ecstatic!

Whoa, congrats!
You're in. Are you AA?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri May 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Allstar, sounds like you're in. Late JR1s have seemed to be very good news (speaking from experience).

On that note, to anyone who missed me from this thread, I was accepted in late April, but not before my finals started and I began a self-imposed TLS ban. Now that I have successfully graduated, I am back to engage in rampant and fairly unfounded speculation. I also deferred my admission for one year, so if any of you are future HLS class of '14 members, let me know.

Good luck to all those on the WL or still standing!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 07, 2010 3:24 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

Allstar, sounds like you're in. Late JR1s have seemed to be very good news (speaking from experience).

On that note, to anyone who missed me from this thread, I was accepted in late April, but not before my finals started and I began a self-imposed TLS ban. Now that I have successfully graduated, I am back to engage in rampant and fairly unfounded speculation. I also deferred my admission for one year, so if any of you are future HLS class of '14 members, let me know.

Congrats! I was wondering if you got in! It'd be sweet if we are classmates next year but that is only a day dream right now lol

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

haha, I missed your rampant speculation! Glad to have you back and sad to hear that you won't be there this year. What are your plans for your deferral year?

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Another day came and went and still no initial decision. And I thought for sure we'd have a decision by today.

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Thank you guys for the positive vibes. Yes, I am an AA Male...

Best of luck to all of you waiting! (I will be nervously waiting for Monday 2pm)!

Core

Postby Core » Fri May 07, 2010 6:24 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:Thank you guys for the positive vibes. Yes, I am an AA Male...

Best of luck to all of you waiting! (I will be nervously waiting for Monday 2pm)!

I know it's hard, but try to relax. You are without a doubt in. Congrats :)

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Fri May 07, 2010 6:56 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

Well done! I was a bit worried :shock:

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:59 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

grats invisiblesun! I was wondering what happened to you post JR1...

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Any other wait-lists/holds receive JR1 invites today or yesterday?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”