Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
weee

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby weee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Still standing after yesterday, went complete in March, every time my phone pops a new e-mail, I look with fear/anticipation.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:58 pm

so do you guys think it would be appropriate if I update my application and let them know about the international volunteer work I am doing that I am really excited about, or are these updates more appropriate if you are waitlisted. It wasn't on my initial application. Thanks for the advice!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:01 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:so do you guys think it would be appropriate if I update my application and let them know about the international volunteer work I am doing that I am really excited about, or are these updates more appropriate if you are waitlisted. It wasn't on my initial application. Thanks for the advice!

I have some honors/publication to add too but I think at this point it not going to get you an acceptance if there isn't one to give out. It will help out a WL so maybe just wait for the WL.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:03 pm

I just emailed and snail mailed my withdrawal. Hope that helps one of you!!! :D

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

lawyering wrote:I just emailed and snail mailed my withdrawal. Hope that helps one of you!!! :D

+1

Good luck to everybody still waiting!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:41 pm

notanumber wrote:
lawyering wrote:I just emailed and snail mailed my withdrawal. Hope that helps one of you!!! :D

+1

Did you withdrawal??? Decide on Yale or Darrow?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Unitas wrote:
notanumber wrote:

+1

I'm going to Yale. I decided against Harvard a couple of days ago but only got around to e-mailing them today.

Turning down free tuition at a school that really excited me was harder, especially seeing as how I've done a lot of work up to this point in life to never be in debt, but crunching the COAP numbers this morning and having a long discussion about debt issues with somebody I trust did me in. . .

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm

notanumber wrote:
Unitas wrote:
notanumber wrote:

+1

I'm going to Yale. I decided against Harvard a couple of days ago but only got around to e-mailing them today.

Turning down free tuition at a school that really excited me was harder, especially seeing as how I've done a lot of work up to this point in life to never be in debt, but crunching the COAP numbers this morning and having a long discussion about debt issues with somebody I trust did me in. . .

Congrats. Debt isn't that bad, it serves a purpose. Have a great time in New Haven.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Looks like they are going over the 2/24-2/25 batch now, true to the 2 month turnaround trend.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

I'd bet my entire bank account that there wont be any more flat out JR1's....

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Illijah wrote:I'd bet my entire bank account that there wont be any more flat out JR1's....

are you in overdraft?

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Well looks like we survived another day and another round of rejections. Nothing today but rejections. The last few rounds of decisions have only been rejections. No acceptances, no waitlists.....

Good luck to everyone left this week!

ToriM

Postby ToriM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Ding. Not surprising. Later y'all.

Peter N

Postby Peter N » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Illijah wrote:I'd bet my entire bank account that there wont be any more flat out JR1's....

You better hope that's not a hefty Swiss bank account or a large sum Cayman Islands account, because surely I can say with 100% certainty that there is a phone interview (aka. so called "JR1") for an applicant on deck. ;) Whether there has been any recent ones.... I dunno, but for some inexplicable reason the vacuous clowns here on TLS have a tendency to follow that joke LSN site religiously.

MeredithGrey wrote:Nothing today but rejections. The last few rounds of decisions have only been rejections. No acceptances, no waitlists.....

Agreed. I can also attest to the veracity of this. I know of someone (former colleague of mine) who got the ding e-mail just today (an hour ago).

I was shocked, surprised and taken back, actually. This individual had a stellar profile: low 170s LSAT, 3.6X GPA, non-trad (early 30s), F500 work experience (IB area) -- and here's the kicker -- he graduated with an MBA as a Baker Scholar from HBS (Class of 2006). :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes!

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm

adameus wrote:

are you in overdraft?

You know it :wink:

but seriously....you honestly think there will be another UR->JR1.....c'mon people.

The Human Fund

Postby The Human Fund » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Peter N wrote:

You better hope that's not a hefty Swiss bank account or a large sum Cayman Islands account, because surely I can say with 100% certainty that there is a phone interview (aka. so called "JR1") for an applicant on deck. ;) Whether there has been any recent ones.... I dunno, but for some inexplicable reason the vacuous clowns here on TLS have a tendency to follow that joke LSN site religiously.

MeredithGrey wrote:Nothing today but rejections. The last few rounds of decisions have only been rejections. No acceptances, no waitlists.....

Agreed. I can also attest to the veracity of this. I know of someone (former colleague of mine) who got the ding e-mail just today (an hour ago).

I was shocked, surprised and taken back, actually. This individual had a stellar profile: low 170s LSAT, 3.6X GPA, non-trad (early 30s), F500 work experience (IB area) -- and here's the kicker -- he graduated with an MBA as a Baker Scholar from HBS (Class of 2006). :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes!

What were his motivations for going back to HLS?

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:29 pm

The Human Fund wrote:
Peter N wrote:

P North likes to make stuff up about the myriads of people he knows who are involved in the Law School application process. Based on the reliability of his other posts, I refuse to believe anything he writes unless I know it to be true or it is verified by others.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm

I think this year might be tougher than normal for nontraditional splitters, no matter how accomplished. With the economy I think there are just more of us out there, all with solid work histories or unusual accomplishments, some overcoming a lot of adversity. I thought my softs were impressive, but chatting with other non-trads on here I am finding people who are very impressive, all with interesting back stories.

Good luck to all of us left, at least we escaped today's batch of rejections.
Last edited by lt0826 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:39 pm

adameus wrote:
The Human Fund wrote:
Peter N wrote:

P North likes to make stuff up about the myriads of people he knows who are involved in the Law School application process. Based on the reliability of his other posts, I refuse to believe anything he writes unless I know it to be true or it is verified by others.

Sounds like it could easily be this person: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/twil

Bad cycle for them, but as a splitter I am surprised he applied to so few schools. Looks like it could be legit though. See my comment about how many of us non-trads are out there this cycle though. Also wonder why he didn't apply to Northwestern which seems to be an obvious choice of schools to apply to with his background.

Peter N

Postby Peter N » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 pm

The Human Fund wrote:What were his motivations for going back to HLS?

Venture Capital and Private Equity work.

VC/PE firms (like some IBs) offer summer hirebacks.

His reasons are more or less similar to mine in that regard. Furthermore, he has a tuition reimbursement option, which would pay up to 40%-60% of his tuition through his company's corporate professional advancement plan -- on the condition that he is "bonded" (ie. meaning after getting his JD he can't leave and go elsewhere, where as he would have to work with that employer for a period of 18-24 months). Not a bad deal, IMO. When you have that sort of an incentive, you either target the top schools or don't bother going at all. Not worth the $ and time spent.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:Well looks like we survived another day and another round of rejections. Nothing today but rejections. The last few rounds of decisions have only been rejections. No acceptances, no waitlists.....

Good luck to everyone left this week!

By the way, just to clarify, my knowledge of rejections is just based on LSN. I don't claim to have any inside knowledge into HLS admissions. All decisions today on LSN were rejections.

Still, anything and all things are possible :)

chi16

Postby chi16 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 pm

just got dinged. not even a jr1. my lsat was low, but i had the gpa and good work experience. and, not to brag, a pretty kickass PS and stellar recs.

oh well. i guess i shot myself in the foot when i applied in february.

fmehrabi

Postby fmehrabi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:29 pm

chi16 wrote:just got dinged. not even a jr1. my lsat was low, but i had the gpa and good work experience. and, not to brag, a pretty kickass PS and stellar recs.

oh well. i guess i shot myself in the foot when i applied in february.

:( Sorry to hear that. At least you got into other great schools and while I know that doesn't help to hear at times, it is a really good thing. So good luck at those schools! I'm from the DC area so if you decide to attend Georgetown, I'll be happy to help in anyway I can. :)

I've been reading these forums almost religiously but I finally realized I should register and talk to people. I applied to Harvard just as a "this is my dream school, at least let me try." But my LSAT is way lower than their 25th even (164) but my GPA is 3.97 and I have been working full time with children at a school since I was 18. I'm a religious and racial minority (though I guess Middle Eastern doesn't count). I also applied in February but that's because it took the principal of that school so long to send in my LOR. From what they've told me, my professors sent in really good recommendations (2 from undergrad, one of which is the Dean and a lawyer and 1 from my graduate professor). When I see that they ding other great people, it makes me lose all hope at even a miracle. :(

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

An unsurprising ding for me - too many strong non-trads this year. And I went back and looked over my Harvard application and I would have dinged me too. I actually caught two typos (Tx got the same essay and somehow overlooked the typos, but this is Harvard) that me and two others did not catch earlier, one a professional editor - sigh!

Also, Harvard did not ask for a diversity statement, but I think I should have sent one to them anyway. I am not URM but come from a mixed ethnic heritage and if nothing else, it makes for a good story and a good essay.

Otherwise I look like a lot of non-trad splitters and some are definitely more impressive than me.

Good luck to those still in.

My cycle is almost over. Just waiting to hear from Northwestern regarding a dual degree program.

fmehrabi

Postby fmehrabi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:18 pm

In the likely attempt that I get dinged, should I go to one of the school's that I've gotten accepted to in my area (GW and UMD) and then reapply? Or should I not go to those schools and just reapply? I'll most likely be moving to Boston in 2 years and the LSAT was my first time taking it. I think I can score higher but I don't want to lose the chance at one of these schools in case I get rejected. Does it look bad to be a first year student at a law school already but reapplying to Harvard?

I was thinking of talking to a professor at Harvard but I don't know if they would even respond or want to talk. My friend spoke to MIT professors and they really helped him out on what to do and how to apply. And now he's there. Anyone think that Harvard would be as nice?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”