Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
someones alt

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby someones alt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

forza wrote:Waitlisted today. 173/4.0 still in UG at a large state school.

Better than dinged.

/cycle

Retaker?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:LSN page is fudged, but now that my cycle is over i don't mind telling it straight. 3.79/179 is accurate. i'm not at cornell.

by H standards, softs were probably below average, but not by any means nonexistent.

sorry to hear about the WL Lzedong; even if the whole "they rarely dip below 3.8" thing held true, a 3.79 is hardly a far cry from 3.8...coupled w/ a 179...:(

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:19 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
swampthang wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:HLS is being pretty strict about sub 3.8 gpas. It seems like the only sub 3.8s getting in are URM and HYP. Then again, probably only like 30% of the class is below 3.8 so URMs, HYP alums, and a bunch of people with great softs, can easily cover that.

and what's your take on sub-75% LSATs (which I guess would now be under-171)? same story?

I think Harvard probably has a lot more people with 169s and 170s than sub 3.8s in this class. From Harvard's perspective a 4.0 seems to compensate for a 169 or 170 more than a 179 compensates for a 3.65. But I think a very large percentage of the 15or20% let in with lsats under 170 are likely all URMs or 3.95 gpa +.

Hope you're wrong, in a selfish way :wink: . And how many people have 3.95+ GPAs compared to, say, people in the 177-180 LSAT range? If the ratios are disproportional then Harvard's accepting more reverse splitters can be attributed to there just being a whole lot more of them in general.

Ah, already not liking purgatory.

As a splitter, the 3.95+ GPA compensating for a low LSAT makes sense to me. I completely blew off the first two years of UG and did really well the last two years, and I have a lot of respect for the people who put in consistent effort all four years to get a high GPA. tbh, I feel like they got a raw deal compared with someone like me because I put in much less effort than they did and probably got a better overall result from this process. It sucks getting waitlisted at HLS, but at the same time it's fair enough that the people who put in more work than I did are reaping the benefits.

I wonder if a significant proportion of the HLS applicant pool has a 177-180 LSAT score. Clearly people who scored in that range are rare overall, but I feel like my score is nothing special or impressive to Harvard adcomms and I can't count on it to get me off the WL.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:LSN page is fudged, but now that my cycle is over i don't mind telling it straight. 3.79/179 is accurate. i'm not at cornell.

by H standards, softs were probably below average, but not by any means nonexistent.

sorry to hear about the WL Lzedong; even if the whole "they rarely dip below 3.8" thing held true, a 3.79 is hardly a far cry from 3.8...coupled w/ a 179...:(

yeah, i have to think at this point that it's probably safe to conclude H has shifted its admissions philosophy away from the LSAT in some way. there's just too much yellow in my LSN neighborhood, which is heavy on LSAT and light on GPA, and which was all green last year. i'm actually curious to see if they maintain their LSAT split this year.

in any case, i made a decision recently that's going to require me to take a couple more years off before law school - i had already withdrawn from all of my admitted schools, and was waiting on H to see if maybe i could squeeze in a) an admission and b) a two-year deferral. now that that's out i'm committed to withdrawing and reapplying later on.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

yeah, i have to think at this point that it's probably safe to conclude H has shifted its admissions philosophy away from the LSAT in some way. there's just too much yellow in my LSN neighborhood, which is heavy on LSAT and light on GPA, and which was all green last year. i'm actually curious to see if they maintain their LSAT split this year.

in any case, i made a decision recently that's going to require me to take a couple more years off before law school - i had already withdrawn from all of my admitted schools, and was waiting on H to see if maybe i could squeeze in a) an admission and b) a two-year deferral. now that that's out i'm committed to withdrawing and reapplying later on.

Good luck next time you reapply, Lmao Zedong. FWIW (and I know that's not much since I'm not a Harvard adcomm) I think you got gypped.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 pm

someones alt wrote:

Better than dinged.

/cycle

Retaker?

Nope, just one time.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Good luck next time you reapply, Lmao Zedong. FWIW (and I know that's not much since I'm not a Harvard adcomm) I think you got gypped.

thanks. i'll be alright. i feel good about my chances when i reapply, in part because i'm doing something pretty unique for the next couple years. i'm just happy to have the stress of this cycle, which started 7 months ago for me, finally done with. and regardless, i'm fortunate to have the options i have.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

thanks. i'll be alright. i feel good about my chances when i reapply, in part because i'm doing something pretty unique for the next couple years. i'm just happy to have the stress of this cycle, which started 7 months ago for me, finally done with. and regardless, i'm fortunate to have the options i have.

and hopefully the market for law jobs will be much better when you get out of LS in 2015-ish than it will be for the c/o 2013...

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

peace corps?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm

forza wrote:
someones alt wrote:

Better than dinged.

/cycle

Retaker?

Nope, just one time.

Noooo Forzaaa... dang wish you got in

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:45 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

peace corps?

israeli army

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

peace corps?

israeli army

ah, well be safe. thanks for taking one for our team.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:04 pm

swampthang wrote:
clintonius wrote:
swampthang wrote:Sadness. Can we redefine URM? Because I really think people who grew up in the middle of nowhere and are still numerically strong candidates for admission are both a M and UR.
Would that it were so! I think my cycle would have been much more fruitful (though I'm still thrilled and grateful for the acceptances I've gotten).
Yeah, you're not doing too badly. In at NYU and waiting on Col, Chi, and H? Congrats congrats. Did you apply late?

Late apps indeed! Pushing the deadline for most schools -- busy recommenders and such. And I am very happy with where I've been accepted so far, though Harvard would be amazing.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

peace corps?

israeli army

happened to see this- good luck. i think it is a truly selfless act for americans to join the IDF.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm

clintonius wrote:
swampthang wrote:
clintonius wrote:
swampthang wrote:Sadness. Can we redefine URM? Because I really think people who grew up in the middle of nowhere and are still numerically strong candidates for admission are both a M and UR.
Would that it were so! I think my cycle would have been much more fruitful (though I'm still thrilled and grateful for the acceptances I've gotten).
Yeah, you're not doing too badly. In at NYU and waiting on Col, Chi, and H? Congrats congrats. Did you apply late?

Late apps indeed! Pushing the deadline for most schools -- busy recommenders and such. And I am very happy with where I've been accepted so far, though Harvard would be amazing.

What do you think would make Harvard H&S (my new abbrev. for Head & Shoulders) above your other options? Especially if you got $ from NYU/Chic/Col? I simply loved the students and professors I met there, but I've been weighing the finances of turning down money at Penn or Chi and not sure if it makes sense.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm

dude, why the slowdown?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm

knees and toes.

weee

Postby weee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm still operating under the suspicion that my app hasn't actually been looked at by those who hand out the rejections yet, and once these WLs are over I'll get looked at.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

good luck to those still waiting!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
forza wrote:
someones alt wrote:

Better than dinged.

/cycle

Retaker?

Nope, just one time.

Noooo Forzaaa... dang wish you got in

Something tells me Forza will be just fine at #6. :wink:

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm

ugh, I guess this is going to last all week.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:15 pm

swampthang wrote:What do you think would make Harvard H&S (my new abbrev. for Head & Shoulders) above your other options? Especially if you got $ from NYU/Chic/Col? I simply loved the students and professors I met there, but I've been weighing the finances of turning down money at Penn or Chi and not sure if it makes sense.

To be honest, I'm not sure Harvard *would* be cheap shampoo above my other option(s, hopefully). I am full-on in love with NYC, and both the atmosphere and faculty of NYU blew me away. But the portability of an NYU JD is not the same as that of one from Harvard, and there are so many possibilities for which I'd like to maximize my chances -- prestigious clerkships, international jobs, academia, etc. Harvard opens doors that NYU doesn't. That said, I recognize my all-but-nonexistent chance of admission at the big H, and am very content with NYU. Money isn't really a concern, as I got a big fat $0 from NYU and don't expect anything more from the CC if I am even fortunate enough to be admitted.

(Also, I have been singing, whistling or humming "heeeeeead and shoulders, knees and toes" since I read your post. At work. Goddammit)

of Benito Cereno wrote:ugh, I guess this is going to last all week.
That's what she said.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:20 pm

^
noooo they can't be done for today, can they? they went 'til six on friday

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Better than dinged.

/cycle

Are you going to WD?

odiero

Postby odiero » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:45 pm

clintonius wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure Harvard *would* be cheap shampoo above my other option(s, hopefully). I am full-on in love with NYC, and both the atmosphere and faculty of NYU blew me away. But the portability of an NYU JD is not the same as that of one from Harvard, and there are so many possibilities for which I'd like to maximize my chances -- prestigious clerkships, international jobs, academia, etc. Harvard opens doors that NYU doesn't. That said, I recognize my all-but-nonexistent chance of admission at the big H, and am very content with NYU. Money isn't really a concern, as I got a big fat $0 from NYU and don't expect anything more from the CC if I am even fortunate enough to be admitted.

i would give my right arm to go to NYU or CLS. and my left foot. and my first-born child. ...and my roommate's first-born child.

i get what you're saying about portability though.

clintonius wrote:(Also, I have been singing, whistling or humming "heeeeeead and shoulders, knees and toes" since I read your post. At work. Goddammit)

this is excellent
Last edited by odiero on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”