Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CG614

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CG614 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:57 am

Core wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I'd imagine you have one hell of a PS, and you dodged the WL bloodbath, so I would not be surprised at all if some good news is coming your way...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would be elated to hear some good news. I am still afraid maybe they just haven't gotten around to the late files yet and a rejection is still coming. The Yale one still stings, even though it was not unexpected.

Are you going to stay on the WL or go to Columbia? At least the other options are not too shabby!

Honestly, I don't think they're handing out any more flat-out acceptances. LSN isn't reflecting a bunch of recent (within 2 weeks) acceptances made (reported on here and to me IRL). I think the rest of the holds/pending folk are getting a waitlist minus a small amount just getting rejected. They'll probably begin accepting people off the WL next month. However, I think you're definitely going to be one of the most competitive applicants on said waitlist.

Couldn't disagree with this more. If this were the case, then they would WL everyone at the same time. There would be no reason to keep files open.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 am

soonergirl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Does anyone even seriously observe the Sabbath anymore?

Mormons and the guy who runs Chik-fil-A? I know BYU won't play on Sundays in the basketball tournament (everything I know in life I learned from division I athletics), and Chik-fil-A is always closed with a big sign out front.

Yes Chik-fil-a is the best example that I can think of. I would be interested in doing research into that, because Sabbath accommodations are very common in religious discrimination cases yet I have doubts that most people are sincere in their observance of the Sabbath. Not that is matters to the law, but I just find it interesting.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:02 am

Also, my home county of Bergen County, NJ is completely shut down on Sundays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergen_Cou ... #Blue_laws

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 am

BenJ wrote:Also, my home county of Bergen County, NJ is completely shut down on Sundays.

yes but thats mostly just because they want one day free from mallrat traffic.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:57 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
BenJ wrote:Also, my home county of Bergen County, NJ is completely shut down on Sundays.

yes but thats mostly just because they want one day free from mallrat traffic.

Lol and that was my point that many Sabbath 'observers' are just wanting a day off for their convenience.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:06 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:still standing. but with over twice as many waitlists last year (185) than this year (80) and way more pendings (~300) this year than last year (~200) it looks like we're in for another couple waitlist days. also, there should be a bunch more outright rejections (~260ish last year vs ~190 this year). We should keep in mind that last year there were 785 profiles vs 738 this year, so all my judgements have been based on %s.
Also, its quite possible than a whole bunch of the pendings are acceptances, waitlists, or rejections and that they will be updated eventually. Still, it looks like another round of rejections and waitlists (maybe a couple of phone calls too please!) will be coming this week.

People are definitely slower to update their profiles after they've been dinged or WL'ed. But if they get in, you'll know within 30 seconds of the damn phone call. :)

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:30 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:People are definitely slower to update their profiles after they've been dinged or WL'ed. But if they get in, you'll know within 30 seconds of the damn phone call. :)

yeah, I'm pretty sure we're updated and find out before parents, siblings, spouses...

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:still standing. but with over twice as many waitlists last year (185) than this year (80) and way more pendings (~300) this year than last year (~200) it looks like we're in for another couple waitlist days. also, there should be a bunch more outright rejections (~260ish last year vs ~190 this year). We should keep in mind that last year there were 785 profiles vs 738 this year, so all my judgements have been based on %s.
Also, its quite possible than a whole bunch of the pendings are acceptances, waitlists, or rejections and that they will be updated eventually. Still, it looks like another round of rejections and waitlists (maybe a couple of phone calls too please!) will be coming this week.

People are definitely slower to update their profiles after they've been dinged or WL'ed. But if they get in, you'll know within 30 seconds of the damn phone call. :)

true i know quite a few people who have been rejected/WL and refuse to update their profile

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Illijah wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:

true i know quite a few people who have been rejected/WL and refuse to update their profile

I guess I was one of them. Sorry. Didn't have the heart to update that I'd been rejected from Yale. :(

Took care of that now.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Last year there were 14 WL ---> accepts reported on LSN ranging from 4/17 to 8/20. Just a reminder to my fellow waitlisters that it very well could happen for a few of us. :D

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm

blue5385 wrote:Last year there were 14 WL ---> accepts reported on LSN ranging from 4/17 to 8/20. Just a reminder to my fellow waitlisters that it very well could happen for a few of us. :D

and you must remember if there were 14 reported it is fair to assume that 40+ were actually selected.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Illijah wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Last year there were 14 WL ---> accepts reported on LSN ranging from 4/17 to 8/20. Just a reminder to my fellow waitlisters that it very well could happen for a few of us. :D

and you must remember if there were 14 reported it is fair to assume that 40+ were actually selected.

Now if only we could accurately estimate the size of the WL in more detail other than that it's big.

Anyone else think the FAQ attached to the WL email is a little silly in that there is almost no definite information provided? I don't see the point of even including it...chances are, everyone who was waitlisted at HLS knows what a waitlist is, and that's about the only frequently asked question they provided a straight answer to.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:09 pm

After much internal deliberation, I have made the first step toward acknowledging my WL by joining the Penn Law c/o 2013 Facebook group. I hope we can all make similar strides.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Core wrote:After much internal deliberation, I have made the first step toward acknowledging my WL by joining the Penn Law c/o 2013 Facebook group. I hope we can all make similar strides.

Good idea. Maybe I should create the Northwestern 2014 Facebook group.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:31 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Core wrote:After much internal deliberation, I have made the first step toward acknowledging my WL by joining the Penn Law c/o 2013 Facebook group. I hope we can all make similar strides.

You totally should. You're a pioneer.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Core wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Dang, it actually already exists. :( I'm the third member.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:46 pm

congrats, Core! :D

I plan on following in your footsteps by submitting my CLS deposit as soon as I can fully convince myself I want to move to NY.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm

blue5385 wrote:

I plan on following in your footsteps by submitting my CLS deposit as soon as I can fully convince myself I want to move to NY.

Visit, if you haven't. It's definitely not for everybody. Congrats on CLS :)
I'm sure you'll see my incoherent spam if I manage to sneak in this week.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Core wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Dang, it actually already exists. :( I'm the third member.

:lol: Sorry, but too funny.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Core wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

haha thanks! I went to the March 3-4 ASW and absolutely loved NY. I've lived in the same metro area my whole life, including when I was in UG, and I'm a little apprehensive about moving far away from my entire family, but I think it's time for a change.

Were you held at CLS? I hope you sneak in!

Core

Postby Core » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:53 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

haha thanks! I went to the March 3-4 ASW and absolutely loved NY. I've lived in the same metro area my whole life, including when I was in UG, and I'm a little apprehensive about moving far away from my entire family, but I think it's time for a change.

Were you held at CLS? I hope you sneak in!

Very nice.
I was, and I hope so, too!

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:58 pm

blue5385 wrote:I've lived in the same metro area my whole life, including when I was in UG, but I think it's time for a change...

yeah, this is me, too. I've been in the same zip code forever.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:01 pm

soonergirl wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I've lived in the same metro area my whole life, including when I was in UG, but I think it's time for a change...

yeah, this is me, too. I've been in the same zip code forever.

are you planning on moving far from home for law school, soonergirl?

I really love the area I grew up in and I want to move back eventually, but I know I would regret it later on if I didn't spend at least a few years of my life somewhere else.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Illijah wrote:

Now if only we could accurately estimate the size of the WL in more detail other than that it's big.

Anyone else think the FAQ attached to the WL email is a little silly in that there is almost no definite information provided? I don't see the point of even including it...chances are, everyone who was waitlisted at HLS knows what a waitlist is, and that's about the only frequently asked question they provided a straight answer to.

Some people have said that the WL could be as big as 800, but I really doubt that. Yale's is under 100 and Harvard's incoming class is about 2.5x larger so say a WL of 300 maybe? Perhaps 800 got offered, but how many of them accept? I'd be really interested to find out how representative LSN is of the actual applicant pool, but that's probably a pipe dream.

I agree that the FAQs were largely worthless. It's like how my brother just got WLed at his top choice for undergrad. After calling and emailing his regional counselor, he finally got a call back which began with "I haven't gotten a chance to read your application" and then consisted of a 20 minute monologue of similar generalities that anyone with internet access could have easily looked up.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:46 pm

blue5385 wrote:are you planning on moving far from home for law school, soonergirl?

I don't know. That's up to Josh. :mrgreen:

I will likely take the scholarship from UTexas. That's only six hours away, but coming from OU I might as well be selling my soul to the devil and packing my bags for hell. ha! Besides, you know what they say about Texas: It's like a whole 'nother country. (What does that mean, anyway?)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”