Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Core wrote:Gotcha. Would you reapply this fall or the following fall - just wondering? Would they really view you more favorably if you reapplied this fall and had maybe 3 months work experience by that point? Oh man, I'm afraid to check my mailbox lol.


This fall most likely. I know that the 3 months more WE wouldn't help much, but it would be WE that I would continue throughout the year. Also, I think that having a near-perfect LSAT with my app in September as opposed to February would make a difference. I'm trying not to think too much about that now though- as much of a pessimist as I can be, I think I have reason to be optimistic with my recent JR1 (even though one of my answers probably sounded dumb in hindsight).

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:wow, looks like i missed quite a party. probably a good thing i didn't know this was going on, or else it would've made checking my email the past couple days a lot scarier. anyway, still standing, for now. wonder how much more WL action is still on the way.

i'm watching you. as we're the last of the high lsat holds left (maybe one or two others).

User avatar
>insert witty name<
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby >insert witty name< » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:23 pm

wow, so i just saw got on and saw all of this madness. i'm still standing. i'm really starting to wonder now what's going on with my case, my jr1 was two weeks ago. i really don't think i screwed it up, my answers were coherent and consistent with the vibe of my personal statement which is probably what prompted him to call in the first place. i realize my numbers are below median, but if he was going to reject me on numbers he would have done so without the trouble of an interview (one would think) so why the wait?? very troubling....

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:27 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:wow, so i just saw got on and saw all of this madness. i'm still standing. i'm really starting to wonder now what's going on with my case, my jr1 was two weeks ago. i really don't think i screwed it up, my answers were coherent and consistent with the vibe of my personal statement which is probably what prompted him to call in the first place. i realize my numbers are below median, but if he was going to reject me on numbers he would have done so without the trouble of an interview (one would think) so why the wait?? very troubling....


Your situation is very puzzling to me too- I kind of assumed that any April JR1s were locks to be JR2s but creatinganalt had her JR1 and JR2 after your JR1. A possible consideration might be that she is an URM, and perhaps they look at the URM/non-URM pools separately (as they keep the URM %ages similar from year to year).
Last edited by invisiblesun on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:27 pm

well i'm still standing as well.

i'm starting to develo a small amount of hope that maybe this monday they'll accept people other than invisiblesun? you'd think eighteen JR2-less monday would've battered hope out of me...

User avatar
oso84
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby oso84 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:31 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:If you pay your seat deposit at another school, can you still ethically stay on other waitlists? Is this allowed? Then I guess you just lose your money if you end up getting in at your dream school?

(Sorry re-posting since my post seem to get lost in the mass of posts just coming in :) )


My $0.02 - Schools have their own rules but generally it is fine to put down a seat deposit somewhere and remain on the waitlist elsewhere. The biggest exception to this is when you've taken a huge merit scholarship that's used for recruiting, like Root at NYU. Anyone knoe if the Hamilton at CLS make you WD everywhere else, too?

User avatar
MeredithGrey
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MeredithGrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:33 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:If you pay your seat deposit at another school, can you still ethically stay on other waitlists? Is this allowed? Then I guess you just lose your money if you end up getting in at your dream school?

(Sorry re-posting since my post seem to get lost in the mass of posts just coming in :) )


Does anyone know the answer to this?

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:34 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:
MeredithGrey wrote:If you pay your seat deposit at another school, can you still ethically stay on other waitlists? Is this allowed? Then I guess you just lose your money if you end up getting in at your dream school?

(Sorry re-posting since my post seem to get lost in the mass of posts just coming in :) )


Does anyone know the answer to this?

Why not just call the schools and ask? If you're super paranoid call from a pay phone or Skype.

User avatar
oso84
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby oso84 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Glad to see (well, for my sake, at least) that I'm not the only person still totally in the dark. GPA is between 50-75%, LSAT between 25-50%, complete in Nov, additional LOR in Jan, JR2 in March, not a peep since then. GL to everyone still held!

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Unless a school's acceptance letter/seat deposit form says that you must withdraw from a waitlist, then you may stay on it, you just lose your deposit if you accept the later offer. Typically, though, the forms just say that you must withdraw from all other schools to which you've been accepted.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:38 pm

Waitlisted. I'm interpreting that as a soft reject. I am substantially below Harvard's par.

creatinganalt
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby creatinganalt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:40 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Core wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:there's a point at which speculation becomes ridiculous and we are certainly past it now.

Very fair point. Back to some (slightly) more reasonable speculation, in response to Core:
I'm not arguing that there is a whole slew of acceptances remaining, but I think that there may be some outright acceptance here or there. The above JR1s might be people who they're heavily considering accepting, or they might have a cache of on-deck applicants to fill slots for pre-deadline withdrawals.

I agree. The only issue is that I know at least a few people got JR2s this past week and some of them had JR1s this week or the week before.
Out of curiousity, what other schools are you considering?


Stanford, if they let me in off the WL (although they claim not to consider Feb. scores the same cycle). I had a great retake that came in February, and I have some decent options for a year off, so if H or S don't pan out this cycle I would be inclined to reapply. Right now, my hopes are completely with HLS (and they're my first choice, so I would definitely go there regardless of whether SLS offers me a spot).


Invisiblesun, I am almost 100% confident that you will be in HLS in the fall. You are definitely gonna get in.

nbaguy
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby nbaguy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Harvard doesn't start until September; many other schools start in mid- to late-August. IS it possible to begin attending one school, get accepted off the waitlist in late August/early September and then go to Harvard?

creatinganalt
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby creatinganalt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 pm

nbaguy wrote:Harvard doesn't start until September; many other schools start in mid- to late-August. IS it possible to begin attending one school, get accepted off the waitlist in late August/early September and then go to Harvard?


Yes it is.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:45 pm

nbaguy wrote:Harvard doesn't start until September; many other schools start in mid- to late-August. IS it possible to begin attending one school, get accepted off the waitlist in late August/early September and then go to Harvard?


i remember a CLS student saying on this forum that there was a student who started off in his section at CLS, but then got in off the HLS waitlist and promptly bounced. so, yes.

Illijah
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Illijah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:46 pm

How massive is this waitlist.....It must be huge

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Illijah wrote:How massive is this waitlist.....It must be huge

I bet around 800.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby clintonius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:47 pm

There was a discussion about that ITT a few pages back. Some conjectures placed it at 800 people, or substantially more than the entire entering class.

Edit: goddammit.

User avatar
Pee N
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Pee N » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I can't believe how all you pedantic virgin nerds & geeks are gettin' all upset over being thrown to the WL pile. Cum on, guys. Ya'll can't be that pessimistic. Would any of you clowns prefer the alternative - an outright ding?!?! :D

While I can fully appreciate that the chances of being admitted from the WL is rather slim, and the whole WL process is somehwat dubious and specious, but that's in no way akin to an inevitable/impending GTFO. For those of you pondering about other non-HLS offers at hand, I can sympathize with your plight. Just relax, watch some porn, masturbate and wait patiently for the disposition.

Anyway, I've asked this in the other "HLS 2010 wait thread", and I'll ask this again here...

I'm curious to know if there's any non-trad with relevant WE on this year's WL. (I don't troll on LSN or any other discussion boards. If you peeps know of any older non-trads with WE on the WL, please post about it. Thx!) :)

Due to unforeseen reasons beyond my control, my application (still in the running!) has hit a bit of a snag (a la personal reasons), but I'd be interested in hearing about any non-trads on the 2010 WL, if any.
Last edited by Pee N on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby violaboy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Going to withdraw from the waitlist. Can't really wait any more. I need to get on with my life and not be waiting on them. Going to Penn.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Are you trying to gauge your chances of acceptance v. waitlist? I hope they view non-trads with significant WE individually. Your grad degree is more impressive than most though, so I am trying not to draw conclusions from your fortunes.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Hmm wait listed.

Never even got a JR1 so I'm assuming I really don't have a shot at HLS unless there's some phenomenal change in procedure.

I'm haven't checked this thread lately so I'm not sure who hasn't heard anything yet.

I'm not too surprised though, I was hoping for a JR1 at least, but if anything I'd like to be a living reminder the even the "most numbers based" law school of the top 3, Harvard still has little tolerance for under-achievers.

I may have a 176/3.87 on my records but my resume shows that's pretty much all I've got going for me. In the end that wasn't even enough to get me a phone call. I'll send an LOCI, but I've got my heart pretty set on Columbia now.

Law school is definitely more of a numbers game than say undergrad or even other grad schools, but it definitely takes more than strong numbers to get you into top law schools.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Sogui wrote:Hmm wait listed.

Never even got a JR1 so I'm assuming I really don't have a shot at HLS unless there's some phenomenal change in procedure.

I'm haven't checked this thread lately so I'm not sure who hasn't heard anything yet.

I'm not too surprised though, I was hoping for a JR1 at least, but if anything I'd like to be a living reminder the even the "most numbers based" law school of the top 3, Harvard still has little tolerance for under-achievers.

I may have a 176/3.87 on my records but my resume shows that's pretty much all I've got going for me. In the end that wasn't even enough to get me a phone call. I'll send an LOCI, but I've got my heart pretty set on Columbia now.

Law school is definitely more of a numbers game than say undergrad or even other grad schools, but it definitely takes more than strong numbers to get you into top law schools.

just now? another day ruined sitting checking mail. i have work to do.

User avatar
Pee N
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Pee N » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:Are you trying to gauge your chances of acceptance v. waitlist? I hope they view non-trads with significant WE individually. Your grad degree is more impressive than most though, so I am trying not to draw conclusions from your fortunes.


Thanks for the kind words, Philly. :) Your #'s are way way way better than mine! Look, who's talking! ;)

But as you know my "personal situation" rather intimately, as I've communicated it to you PM, I am pretty sure that given the time frame projected by HLS (ie. special case with respect to my app.), you are right. It will be given individual consideration. Conversely, a 'ding' cannot be negated or ruled out either. :?

I am just curious to know if there's any non-trads on the WL simply because this could give me some idea if whether or not those non-trads with borderline numbers are on the "on-the-fence" bucket. From what I gather (read: TLS consensus) that most of the people on the WL are young folks with less than 2 years out of undergrad. And that is fine.

Did you get a WL, philly? Or are you still kept in the dark?
Last edited by Pee N on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MeredithGrey
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MeredithGrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:59 pm

oso84 wrote:Glad to see (well, for my sake, at least) that I'm not the only person still totally in the dark. GPA is between 50-75%, LSAT between 25-50%, complete in Nov, additional LOR in Jan, JR2 in March, not a peep since then. GL to everyone still held!


What is JR1 and JR2?

I am assuming these are Harvard's interviews but I thought they only do one?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, Chipotle85, Christinabruin, Houzy, JazzyMac, Leahmealone, proteinshake, Rich Uncle Skeleton and 8 guests