Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:28 pm

WL email today (No JR1, Held in Feb). I'm thinking I'd rather waste my time waiting on SLS than HLS

MeredithGrey

New

Post by MeredithGrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MeredithGrey wrote:Hi can someone help me understand LSN. I am new here.

What is "N" next to people's name stand for. I know that U probably stands for URM.

Also how can you have a "D" next to a Waitlist. Doesnt D mean deferred. I am assuming you cant defer a waitlist position. If you are offered a position, you should be prepared to accept it for this Fall correct?

Thanks for helping!
N = non-traditional. People are too liberal with this designation since there is no firm criteria. Usually refers to people who have been out of school for a number of years.

D = deferred. Some applicants are deferred until later in the cycle to receive decisions by the schools. Essentially a hold here. ED apps can be deferred to the regular decision phase too. They need to seperate this into deferred descision and deferred admission, but no one is working on that site.
Oh I see. So "D" is actually the hold pile. The people who already withdrew from the waitlist are "W" then...

If you pay your seat deposit at another school, can you still ethically stay on other waitlists? Is this allowed? Then I guess you just lose your money if you end up getting in at your dream school.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I'd imagine you have one hell of a PS, and you dodged the WL bloodbath, so I would not be surprised at all if some good news is coming your way...
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would be elated to hear some good news. I am still afraid maybe they just haven't gotten around to the late files yet and a rejection is still coming. The Yale one still stings, even though it was not unexpected.

Are you going to stay on the WL or go to Columbia? At least the other options are not too shabby!
Honestly, I don't think they're handing out any more flat-out acceptances. LSN isn't reflecting a bunch of recent (within 2 weeks) acceptances made (reported on here and to me IRL). I think the rest of the holds/pending folk are getting a waitlist minus a small amount just getting rejected. They'll probably begin accepting people off the WL next month. However, I think you're definitely going to be one of the most competitive applicants on said waitlist.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I'd imagine you have one hell of a PS, and you dodged the WL bloodbath, so I would not be surprised at all if some good news is coming your way...
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would be elated to hear some good news. I am still afraid maybe they just haven't gotten around to the late files yet and a rejection is still coming. The Yale one still stings, even though it was not unexpected.

Are you going to stay on the WL or go to Columbia? At least the other options are not too shabby!
I think I'll stay on the WL through the summer, but I'll probably put down my deposit at CLS. I don't think CLS has a policy about withdrawing from waitlists when you accept their offer of admission (I know they don't want you to put down deposits at other schools), but I need to double-check. And yeah, I am thrilled about CLS...all in all, I think my cycle has gone well for being a splitter. :D

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Core wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Honestly, I don't think they're handing out any more flat-out acceptances. LSN isn't reflecting a bunch of recent (within 2 weeks) acceptances made (reported on here and to me IRL). I think the rest of the holds/pending folk are getting a waitlist minus a small amount just getting rejected. They'll probably begin accepting people off the WL next month. However, I think you're definitely going to be one of the most competitive applicants on said waitlist.
I hope this isn't true. I wonder if this applies to URM's....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Illijah wrote:They wait listed almost all the URM's around my numbers group......weird....its like in the movies where you see people dropping to your right and left and your still standing....shaking and alone
+10000. Please guys, timestamps? Seeing nothing in my inbox is freaking me out. :shock:

MeredithGrey

New

Post by MeredithGrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:41 pm

To those of you waitlisted today, did your status checker also change today?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 pm

legalnoeagle wrote: Correct. You win the door prize.
Early gunner training? :lol: I got yelled at before for saying what you did, so it stuck.
Sorry about Yale.
Thanks, it's ok. Life goes on, fortunately :) .

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Core wrote: Honestly, I don't think they're handing out any more flat-out acceptances. LSN isn't reflecting a bunch of recent (within 2 weeks) acceptances made (reported on here and to me IRL). I think the rest of the holds/pending folk are getting a waitlist minus a small amount just getting rejected. They'll probably begin accepting people off the WL next month. However, I think you're definitely going to be one of the most competitive applicants on said waitlist.
If I do end up on the WL, I will have my bag ready to go. I already prepped my wife for such a scenario. I will live in a dorm while we plan to move together. Seriously I am that dedicated to going.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Illijah wrote:
Core wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I hope this isn't true. I wonder if this applies to URM's....
I think it applies to URMs, and JR1 folk, but I also think that our (URMs') chances of getting off the waitlist are relatively solid - especially as people turn down H for Y/S and scholarships with approaching deadlines.

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:57 pm

yup....unlike ORM when a URM withdraws they are compelled to fill that spot from a short list (relatively speaking) of qualified URM's...

But i have not been wait listed and I feel that my package was strong so I am optimistic!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Illijah wrote:yup....unlike ORM when a URM withdraws they are compelled to fill that spot from a short list (relatively speaking) of qualified URM's...

But i have not been wait listed and I feel that my package was strong so I am optimistic!
So did I :( I spent some... 6 months on my PS + DS. It was reviewed by a ridiculous number of people, and I know my LORs are at least above average.
I was told I was autoadmit at SLS and would "probably" get into HLS, so I really don't think HYS admissions are quite so predictable for URMS (at least non-AA urms). Either that, or HYS REALLY cares about UG and the rigor of one's major.
But I think you not hearing either way is a good sign at this point, so stay optimistic.

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Yea....I don't know how many AA males are still left standing?

Probably could count them on 2 hands...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:yea, can people share time-stamps?
The mails have been staggered two and three at a time over the last three hours. There was no bulk send.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Illijah wrote:Yea....I don't know how many AA males are still left standing?

Probably on one.
When were you held? Did you have a JR1? You may not even hear, good/bad, in the next week or so. Some people waited until late April/May to get WLed (or rejected).

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Core wrote:

Probably on one.
When were you held? Did you have a JR1? You may not even hear, good/bad, in the next week or so. Some people waited until late April/May to get WLed (or rejected).
I was held in Feb with no JR1. I didn't expect to hear anything before summer....but they've been wait listing like crazy so maybe I will hear something.

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Core wrote:Some people waited until late April/May to get WLed (or rejected).
Ugh, that's the thing I think I hate the most about this process. No one should have to wait that long for a rejection, it just seems cruel. :evil:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Illijah wrote:
Core wrote:

Probably on one.
I was held in Feb with no JR1. I didn't expect to hear anything before summer....but they've been wait listing like crazy so maybe I will hear something.
If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats? What other schools are you considering?

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Core wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

My inclination is to doubt this. I know of several JR1s that came this past week and the week before. What would be the point of doling those out just to WL these applicants shortly thereafter?
Last edited by invisiblesun on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm

My gf just got her waitlist email.......waitlists are still coming in.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Illijah wrote:My gf just got her waitlist email.......waitlists are still coming in.
I wonder if they're still in the office or if this is an automated system that can't handle pushing too many e-mails at once.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:17 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Core wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

My inclination is to doubt this. I know of several JR1s that came this past week and the week before. What would be the point of doling those out just to WL these applicants shortly thereafter?
really? how many jr1s have come in the past couple weeks? as far as I can tell just like 2 or 3 for people who took the feb lsat? did i miss a bunch?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:17 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Illijah wrote:My gf just got her waitlist email.......waitlists are still coming in.
I wonder if they're still in the office or if this is an automated system that can't handle pushing too many e-mails at once.
why would this automated system only operate during normal business hours?

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:18 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote: really? how many jr1s have come in the past couple weeks? as far as I can tell just like 2 or 3 for people who took the feb lsat? did i miss a bunch?
Me, >insertwittyname<, creatinganalt (accepted the following monday), and (if you believe him) Peter North.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:19 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote: really? how many jr1s have come in the past couple weeks? as far as I can tell just like 2 or 3 for people who took the feb lsat? did i miss a bunch?
Me, >insertwittyname<, creatinganalt (accepted the following monday), and (if you believe him) Peter North.
Didn't know that. You're probably right. Very nice :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”