Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swampthang

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby swampthang » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Illijah wrote:Held 2/22

No JR1, No WL, No Rejection (yet) :(

Preach it, brother! By which I mean, the dream lives as long as Rejection has not befallen you.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of denial, I will fear no waitlist..."

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm just glad I didn't get a ding today. Getting dinged by Yale and Harvard in 1 day would really suck.

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Are rejections/WLs via e-mail or snail mail? I'm awaiting mine so I can finally withdraw (and if waitlisted, hopefully free up some space for ya'll).

e-mail. Enjoy [strike]YLS[/strike] SLS :D

Fixed.

can you legitimately tell people to pick Stanford over Yale when it seemed like you would have likely picked Yale had you been accepted?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 pm

So I suppose they haven't gotten around to my file yet? Sorry, just came home, apparently missed a lot of action (or no action depends on how you look at it).

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:So I suppose they haven't gotten around to my file yet? Sorry, just came home, apparently missed a lot of action (or no action depends on how you look at it).

r6, would you take Harvard if you got in? Seems like you were pretty hard for Yale.

jdcballer

Postby jdcballer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Waitlist today. Held in Jan. Anyone know rough stats on admission off the waitlist? LSN has a dozen or so WL, accept but I'm wondering if anyone has any more definite stats...

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Ok, I just realized there are pretty much three possibilities with all three probably going on concurrently, who knows which one each of us fits:

1. HLS is deciding on applications that they may admit outright. These people are still between WL and Admit. Very small group in my opinion of 30-40 applications at most.

2. HLS is deciding on applications that they may WL. These people are between WL and reject. A much larger group that needs to be whittled down.

3. HLS has already decided to reject the application and has just not sent out the response. May include a fun admits (hopefully for sun).

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Unitas wrote:Ok, I just realized there are pretty much three possibilities with all three probably going on concurrently, who knows which one each of us fits:

1. HLS is deciding on applications that they may admit outright. These people are still between WL and Admit. Very small group in my opinion of 30-40 applications at most.

2. HLS is deciding on applications that they may WL. These people are between WL and reject. A much larger group that needs to be whittled down.

3. HLS has already decided to reject the application and has just not sent out the response. May include a fun admits (hopefully for sun).

What does the bolded mean?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm

adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:So I suppose they haven't gotten around to my file yet? Sorry, just came home, apparently missed a lot of action (or no action depends on how you look at it).

r6, would you take Harvard if you got in? Seems like you were pretty hard for Yale.

I would in a heartbeat since it's not a choice between the two now. I like Harvard for different reasons. Taking classes at MIT was always a dream (engineering -> CS major). Being able to study under Prof. Jonathan Zittrain would be wonderful as well. I think I am blessed to be able to even consider these premier schools as "choices", so I would def. go if I get in now.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:52 pm

adameus wrote:
Unitas wrote:Ok, I just realized there are pretty much three possibilities with all three probably going on concurrently, who knows which one each of us fits:

I meant they may have already decided on a few more admits, (hopefully for invisiblesun).

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:17 pm

So, what are we supposed to be taking no news as? Held back in Feb, nothing in my inbox today. :?

Netsirk

Postby Netsirk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:So, what are we supposed to be taking no news as? Held back in Feb, nothing in my inbox today. :?

+1 held in March and nada today.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Not to sound overly negative, but seems that rejections are what's left?

Pee N

Postby Pee N » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm

As an aside...

If there's any older/mature non-trads with strong potential (ie. impeccable WE, non-URM borderline numbers/diversity applicants, URMs, etc) on this forum, take a gander at my post on pg. 263 of this very thread. Don't expect to hear anything until mid-late June -- or even July. I personally called HLS and you guys are more than welcome to do so likewise. Absent an outright ding, anything is good news. For now at least.

Also, if you're a non-trad that still hasn't been dinged, I wouldn't put too much stock into JR1s, WLs/HOLDs, etc. Even if you're not in the aforementioned categories, no sweat. From the 2005-2009 cycle I personally know of 3 late 20s/early-mid 30s individuals that got offers in the summer (when they'd lost all hope!), including one who was admitted a week before classes started. If previous cycles are indicative of anything, HLS likes to make moves after May 1st (when the deposit date has expired for the successful trad applicants choosing to go elsewhere). But on the other side of the same token, this is JR's first term as Dean. So anything is possible... but I don't think HLS will break away from the traditional norm.

Good luck!

odiero

Postby odiero » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Dear PN,

Why do you build me up, Buttercup baby... and so forth?

-Odiero

tristanlxboyd

Postby tristanlxboyd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 pm

WL for me earlier as well. 178 (only score) 3.84. I guess applying at the deadline really is not a good idea. If I don't get in I'm just going to take another year to do research and apply next cycle. Good luck everyone, =)

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Unitas wrote:
adameus wrote:

I meant they may have already decided on a few more admits, (hopefully for invisiblesun).

Thanks Unitas :D

I sure hope you're right. I need to stop thinking about things that might have come across as nonsense during the interview or how stupid some of my statements might have sounded, etc., haha

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:56 am

I just realized that nobody here knows what the F is going on at Harvard. Good luck all!

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:03 am

Pee N wrote:LOL @ everyone talking about me.

Hereon, JR1s will be sporadic.

To the posters above commenting about the "leftover" pool, which'll consist of some WL's, older non-trads with valuable WE, borderlines adding to diversity, etc. I personally can attest to the veracity of this info. I have this from the horse's mouth @ HLS admissions. Although, I should note: don't expect any such movement until about mid-late May, or even early June or later. HLS is evasive and specious about timelines. Things are looking great for me on the HLS tip. Phone interview on deck.

With much love,

PN.

i'd be neutral toward your posts except that you are such an ass to women. i honestly have to say i hope you don't get in.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:11 am

CG614 wrote:I just realized that nobody here knows what the F is going on at Harvard. Good luck all!

Last night I ran into an old quote from JR that said that one of his goals in assuming the deanship was to "increase the transparency" of the admissions process. BWAhahahahhaha. FAIL.

(No offense, Josh. We still love you...call me!)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 am

CG614 wrote:

3. HLS has already decided to reject the application and has just not sent out the response. May include a few admits (hopefully for sun).

I just realized that nobody here knows what the F is going on at Harvard. Good luck all!

Really, you just realized this? :shock:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 am

Any idea what time were the last emails sent? I wonder if they stopped because the day was getting late or they stopped because they reached the end of a certain pool. Regardless, after all those WL notifications, there are now less files remaining for them to ponder over, has to be a good sign right?

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:09 am

Unitas wrote:
CG614 wrote:

3. HLS has already decided to reject the application and has just not sent out the response. May include a few admits (hopefully for sun).

Really, you just realized this? :shock:

TBH, I was mocking your post. We all don't know shit, while it is fun to speculate, it is a useless activity. Plus, I don't like your three groups, so it makes me feel better to slightly mock you. Sorry.

jasonportwood

Postby jasonportwood » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 am

Just got the waitlist offer - apparently they are continuing to send today, also...

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:51 am

Waitlisted just now by email. :(

Held in early April, no JR1.

I'm happy and lucky to have Columbia as an option.
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”