Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unitas

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 pm

1 rejection on LSN today. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dysonfree Very few rejections at a time it seems, they haven't been using the typical batch process.

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:Complete since feb 11th...162-3.8 berk grad URM...Have not heard a word since..Am I seriously been considered? What are your guy's thoughts?

my guess would be a waitlist given how long you have been complete. But all that is, is a guess.

ToriM

Postby ToriM » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:Complete since feb 11th...162-3.8 berk grad URM...Have not heard a word since..Am I seriously been considered? What are your guy's thoughts?

For what its worth, my girlfriend got into Harvard pretty late last year with similar stats, and she applied fairly early. Her impression was that URM candidates (particularly AA, if that's what you are) without auto-admit numbers, for whatever reason, generally tend to have exceptionally long cycles at Harvard.

That being said, that long without any word sounds dubious. I'm in the same boat and pretty much expect to get axed tomorrow...

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Unitas wrote:1 rejection on LSN today. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dysonfree Very few rejections at a time it seems, they haven't been using the typical batch process.

*ran to gmail; inbox empty; breathed a mixed sigh of relief and disappointment*

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Just another day waitin' for my Harvard ding. I submitted 12/15, was held on 3/15.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 pm

They may be waiting to see if any of the admitted and similarly-qualified URMs decline.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm

ToriM wrote:

For what its worth, my girlfriend got into Harvard pretty late last year with similar stats, and she applied fairly early. Her impression was that URM candidates (particularly AA, if that's what you are) without auto-admit numbers, for whatever reason, generally tend to have exceptionally long cycles at Harvard.

That being said, that long without any word sounds dubious. I'm in the same boat and pretty much expect to get axed tomorrow...

I am really hoping that I'm just experiencing a long cycle, as described above, because I don't have autoadmit numbers, and that I won't wake up to a rejection from HLS (or SLS or CLS) in the morning.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm

soonergirl wrote:

They may be waiting to see if any of the admitted and similarly-qualified URMs decline.

This is probably true.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

less than half an hour left (Harvard time) until the WL bloodbath that is 4/15 ensues. :shock:

(unless HLS flips the script on us and maintains silence all day tomorrow...I hope not because I've already mentally prepared myself)

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Why does everyone think waitlists are coming tommorrow?

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:07 am

Illijah wrote:Why does everyone think waitlists are coming tommorrow?

Because they're failing to consider the possibility that what has happened in the past will not continue to happen in the future.

nawktasy

Postby nawktasy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 am

rupert.pupkin wrote:Because they're failing to consider the possibility that what has happened in the past will not continue to happen in the future.

Why are you so TTT? Kthxbai! :mrgreen:

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 am

nawktasy wrote:
rupert.pupkin wrote:Because they're failing to consider the possibility that what has happened in the past will not continue to happen in the future.

Why are you so TTT? Kthxbai! :mrgreen:

lol :mrgreen:

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 am

rupert.pupkin wrote:

Because they're failing to consider the possibility that what has happened in the past will not continue to happen in the future.

:roll:

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:51 am

rupert.pupkin wrote:

You need to GTFO.

cincinnatus

Postby cincinnatus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 am

Why the hostility? Lots of posts in this thread have said something like, "It's Dean Rubenstein's first year so we can't rely on admissions patterns from previous years," right?

That said, I hope it does happen today/tomorrow. Of course it's better to be accepted in May than waitlisted in April, but if I'm to be waitlisted anyway, I want to get it over with quickly :) I can handle disappointment better than uncertainty.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 am

rupert.pupkin wrote:

Poster fails to consider the possibility that we have considered the possibility.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:19 am

clintonius wrote:
rupert.pupkin wrote:

Poster fails to consider the possibility that we have considered the possibility.

ITT, we have considered almost all possibilities. Generally, depending on our mood of the day/hour/minute, if happy we settle on the possibility most advantageous to us or if sad the possibility most disadvantageous to us. Like, before my hold I just assumed my rejection e-mail got lost in the internet cloud… Now today I am sure they are going through holds in order held so I am good. This afternoon I will probably be sad and assume the WL e-mail is on its way.

We consider them, than we dismiss them. HTH…

BTW, I sent myself an e-mail about ten minutes ago so I can show it at school.. I still was nervous to look when my phone started vibrating an e-mail was received...

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

ha, +1 to Unitas. Like yesterday at 10 pm, I was so thrilled to finally be getting out of work after 13 hours that I felt like I wouldn't get the WL axe today. However, this morning, I am depressed to be back and facing a shitload of work, so I'm pretty convinced that I won't just get waitlisted today/in the near future, but will get an outright ding.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Seriously, no one has heard anything today?? I am somewhat shocked.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/educa ... ef=general
judging by the huge number of wait-listed hls students in previous years I bet HLS's waitlist is much larger than its incoming class. Probably at least 1,000 waitlists.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:58 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/education/14waitlist.html?src=me&ref=general
judging by the huge number of wait-listed hls students in previous years I bet HLS's waitlist is much larger than its incoming class. Probably at least 1,000 waitlists.

I'm sure HLS does have a long enough waiting list that it's hard to get in off of it, but I don't think the same considerations that apply to undergrad schools apply to HLS (or other law schools at the very top). They do want diversity in the class, of course, but I feel like there are a lot of differences between when I was applying to UG (my weakness then was that I probably wasn't 'well-rounded' enough and was too one-dimensional with very high grades & test scores) and the current LS application process. IMO, undergrad schools care a lot more about soft factors than law schools, so it would make sense for them to have a bigger waiting list because they have a larger range of areas where they want to ensure diversity in the incoming class, and a large waitlist allows them to cover their bases in regard to that. Some schools will have a huge waitlist because they are YP-happy, but HLS doesn't fall into that category. I dunno...I just don't think HLS will be one of those schools with a ginormous waiting list. They'd probably rather just ding people who aren't up to their standards.
Last edited by blue5385 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 pm

blue5385 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/education/14waitlist.html?src=me&ref=general

I'm sure HLS does have a long enough waiting list that it's hard to get in off of it, but I don't think the same considerations that apply to undergrad schools apply to HLS (or other law schools at the very top). They do want diversity in the class, of course, but I feel like there are a lot of differences between when I was applying to UG (my weakness then was that I probably wasn't 'well-rounded' enough and was too one-dimensional with very high grades & test scores) and the current LS application process. IMO, undergrad schools care a lot more about soft factors than law schools, so it would make sense for them to have a bigger waiting list because they have a larger range of areas where they want to ensure diversity in the incoming class, and a large waitlist allows them to cover their bases in regard to that. Some schools will have a huge waitlist because they are YP-happy, but HLS doesn't fall into that category. I dunno...I just don't think HLS will be one of those schools with a ginormous waiting list. They'd probably rather just ding people who aren't up to their standards.

It sounds like schools often accept off the waiting list in particular response to certain needs, such as replacing a High LSAT or finishing the balance for diversity... thus I'd think that the waitlist would still be pretty large, but definitely not on the order of larger than the class.

A couple hundred at most would be my guess.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

It sounds like schools often accept off the waiting list in particular response to certain needs, such as replacing a High LSAT or finishing the balance for diversity... thus I'd think that the waitlist would still be pretty large, but definitely not on the order of larger than the class.

A couple hundred at most would be my guess.

well over a hundred on lsn alone last year.... thats huge

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”