Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
somewhatwayward

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:06 am

invisiblesun wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
i remember saying that a lot time ago....that it was better to not have a JR1 at all than to get a JR1 and then not get a JR2 the next monday....or the next monday....or the next monday...times eighteen or whatever it's been.

the limbo for you isn't even bad yet bc it has only been, like, a day....

Yeah, I know it's totally ridiculous, considering there is a chance I could not hear anything until the end of the month. It's mainly that getting a JR1 makes you feel so close and then the possibility that you did something (completely within your own hands) to screw it up is pretty much agonizing.

i think it is pretty much t -2 hours or so for you at this point:D

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
i remember saying that a lot time ago....that it was better to not have a JR1 at all than to get a JR1 and then not get a JR2 the next monday....or the next monday....or the next monday...times eighteen or whatever it's been.

the limbo for you isn't even bad yet bc it has only been, like, a day....

Yeah, I know it's totally ridiculous, considering there is a chance I could not hear anything until the end of the month. It's mainly that getting a JR1 makes you feel so close and then the possibility that you did something (completely within your own hands) to screw it up is pretty much agonizing.

i think it is pretty much t -2 hours or so for you at this point:D

Haha if only I were as optimistic as the rest of this forum :P

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:43 am

^
my problem is that i can't stop being so optimistic. every day, especially mondays, for the past four months, i've checked (and still check) my phone obsessively and somehow i still believe it is gonna happen. i'm like bart simpson when he reaches for the electrified cupcake over and over and over.

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 am

democrattotheend wrote:Any idea what the chances of getting in off the waitlist are?

+1111111111111

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 am

democrattotheend wrote:Looking at LSN, it looks like last year, the last big batch of pre-waitlist rejections was on April 9, and then a big batch of waitlists came out 4/15. So perhaps most of us who have yet to hear anything either way (and maybe those on hold too) are bound for the waitlist?

I don't know if all holds that haven't gotten a JR1 at this point are bound for the waitlist. IIRC, invisiblesun got his JR1 invitation at the end of last week and he was held in January. This makes me think that the people who were held later than him probably haven't gotten a second review yet. I don't know about the non-held applicants who haven't gotten a JR1 though -- creatinganalt (not held) said she applied right at the deadline and she was already accepted. (Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better as a late-hold non-JR1 person despite the fact that I have no chance in hell of getting in, but that's my take on things, haha.)

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 am

I am getting the feeling if you haven't been held recently, you're on WL at best.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 am

blue5385 wrote:This makes me think that the people who were held later than him probably haven't gotten a second review yet.

I think there's also a good chance it's not chronological but they're choosing among held applicants to fill in specific "gaps" when candidates withdraw or defer (ie, they want to be sure the class will contain a certain number of people with hard science backgrounds, a certain number of older students, etc)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 pm

NightHooded wrote:I am getting the feeling if you haven't been held recently, you're on WL at best.

Define recently. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 pm

nattybro wrote:
blue5385 wrote:This makes me think that the people who were held later than him probably haven't gotten a second review yet.

I think there's also a good chance it's not chronological but they're choosing among held applicants to fill in specific "gaps" when candidates withdraw or defer (ie, they want to be sure the class will contain a certain number of people with hard science backgrounds, a certain number of older students, etc)

Did you say old, crippling, computer scientist??????

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:07 pm

nattybro wrote:

I thought they used the WL for this purpose after the deposit deadline and deferral request deadline rather than the list of holds.

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:08 pm

blue5385 wrote:
NightHooded wrote:I am getting the feeling if you haven't been held recently, you're on WL at best.

I figure if you've been held in the last month... then again, yea they might be combing thru to find specific types, of which I am not.

I'm assuming the WL goes out this week... so I'm presuming they are WLing everyone and THEN giving out more JR1/JR2s as some candidates opt elsewhere. Maybe I'm wrong and not being WLed or rejected soon is a good sign :o

Thoughts?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 pm

NightHooded wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I figure if you've been held in the last month... then again, yea they might be combing thru to find specific types, of which I am not.

I'm assuming the WL goes out this week... so I'm presuming they are WLing everyone and THEN giving out more JR1/JR2s as some candidates opt elsewhere. Maybe I'm wrong and not being WLed or rejected soon is a good sign :o

Thoughts?

In that case, I like your definition.

And I guess it wouldn't hurt to WL people as a stopgap even if they plan on revisiting those apps later (since I imagine people who applied in October are getting really sick of waiting for their decision and just want to hear something).

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm

blue5385 wrote:And I guess it wouldn't hurt to WL people as a stopgap even if they plan on revisiting those apps later (since I imagine people who applied in October are getting really sick of waiting for their decision and just want to hear something).

I'm curious what % of the WL gets in. I'm not hoping for much... Anyone know?

Part of me wants to reapply next year, and do it EARLY. :oops:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 pm

NightHooded wrote:
blue5385 wrote:And I guess it wouldn't hurt to WL people as a stopgap even if they plan on revisiting those apps later (since I imagine people who applied in October are getting really sick of waiting for their decision and just want to hear something).

I am about this close to deciding to retake in June and reapply in Sept. You are not alone.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Once a larger portion of the applicant pool has been reviewed, the Committee will be able to provide you with a decision to admit, deny, or wait-list your application. These decisions may be made at any time between now and late spring

From the held email... so is it possible that some of the late helds not find out any kind of decision until after the deposit deadline?

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 pm

NightHooded wrote:

Don't know if applying early makes that much of a difference. My app was in early November and I'm still under review. Not sure that getting your app in during October (or even September) would improve your odds

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:
Once a larger portion of the applicant pool has been reviewed, the Committee will be able to provide you with a decision to admit, deny, or wait-list your application. These decisions may be made at any time between now and late spring

From the held email... so is it possible that some of the late helds not find out any kind of decision until after the deposit deadline?

well...the hold email seems to indicate it is a possibility...so yeah, I would say it's possible.

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:33 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:
Don't know if applying early makes that much of a difference. My app was in early November and I'm still under review. Not sure that getting your app in during October (or even September) would improve your odds

Hmmm, are you held? If not, that sucks to be in total limbo.

I'm done with guessing about all this. I'd really like to know

1. is everyone waitlisted at the same time, or do individual decisions keep going
2. what % of the WL gets in eventually.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:43 pm

NightHooded wrote:2. what % of the WL gets in eventually.

I'm not sure who would definitely know this other than the HLS admissions office. From what other people have said on these boards, the admissions officers are forthcoming, so you might want to call them and ask if you do end up getting WL'ed.

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 pm

NightHooded wrote:Hmmm, are you held? If not, that sucks to be in total limbo.

I'm done with guessing about all this. I'd really like to know

1. is everyone waitlisted at the same time, or do individual decisions keep going
2. what % of the WL gets in eventually.

1. I think it's a big batch
2. I'd guess less than 10% but maybe I'm just in a pessimistic mood because I've been in JR1-Hold limbo for almost 8 weeks and would really like some closure either way and not linger on a godd*mn wait list.

/vent

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 pm

just to hop on board the pity train here, I believe that no other TLSer with HLS as #1 has been waiting as long post-JR1 as I have (JR1 early November).

carry on

Core

Postby Core » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:just to hop on board the pity train here, I believe that no other TLSer with HLS as #1 has been waiting as long post-JR1 as I have (JR1 early November).

carry on

Mine was mid-November, so I guess you've been waiting longer than I have.

tristanlxboyd

Postby tristanlxboyd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 pm

And I thought being "Under Review" for two months was bad. Is being under review still worse than being held atm?

dudester

Postby dudester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:just to hop on board the pity train here, I believe that no other TLSer with HLS as #1 has been waiting as long post-JR1 as I have (JR1 [strike]early[/strike] mid November).

carry on

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

not to disrupt the pity express, but I think you guys are in a lot better position relative to us non-JR1 held people. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”