Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
creatinganalt
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Well, I'm a dude, and a gay one (hence the appraisal of JR's attractiveness).

I don't think he's gay, though my gaydar isn't infallible. Also, just a note, talking about someone's sexual orientation isn't disrespectful, though presupposing it is could be to some people (I don't really care).


Understood. I just think that since none of us know him, any speculation would likely be based on stereotypes and conjecture? Not good.

EDIT. Sorry to bump my own posts but

Well, that's a relief!

Quick q then. I know a random genius guy taught me a couple of classes at UG (while doing his masters) and is now at YLS (and insanely successful. v v cute as an aside so that's how it fits). Anyway, thinking - should I contact him before I start school? Like a professional contact type thing? Is this skeezy or shrewd? Our class only had 10 people in it so he should remember me and I am on my way to LS so there is some link.

LOL, he's so cute (and not married or it would have been on ATL) but that aside, as a professional netowrk kinda thing, is this pushy or sensible?


What do you guys think?

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:59 pm

That seems perfectly acceptable. Ask him real question though, not just "Oh hai," or "What are you up to?????"

creatinganalt
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

ConMan345 wrote:That seems perfectly acceptable. Ask him real question though, not just "Oh hai," or "What are you up to?????"


Thanks! I'll think of something concrete (LOL - one thing I won't tell him that he's so smart that he actually completely put me off applying to Yale!)

On that note (at 1am) I've gotta go to bed!

User avatar
eattrucks
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby eattrucks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Okay everyone, JR is right around 30. He's more like 6'1" and he's married with one kid. I must also say that he is better looking than that crummy picture (I kinda like his meaningful eyebrows). And yes, I am a straight guy.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm

I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??

Illijah
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


superior legal education for the win?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Illijah wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


superior legal education for the win?


They have the same assessment scores. So they are equal in perceived education....
It seems like it is the 7% vs 11% acceptance rate.

“I didn’t read it too much, so I don’t really know for sure. Grainy pictures and all”

split22
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby split22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


I believe there are some unpublished metrics used by USNWR (expenditure per student comes to mind as the main difference... Harvard has economies of scale due to its larger class size)

User avatar
Boba Fett
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


Another Victim of the YLS DING FTL

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Unitas the USNWR rankings favor smaller schools in many different ways. You correctly pointed out that one of the reasons Yale beats Harvard is the student/teacher ratio. Read this if you want to know more: http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml
I personally prefer Harvard to Yale, but the top 3 schools H,Y,S are in a league of their own and are all amazing.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


Another Victim of the YLS DING FTL



+1, but no I actually still love YLS... I just thought YLS scored better on the assessments then Harvard did and that scan now gives them equal weights of 4.8.

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:53 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Unitas the USNWR rankings favor smaller schools in many different ways.


Right. The larger schools are facing an uphill battle, which is why you're seeing more and more schools incrementally paring down their incoming classes.

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Unitas wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


Another Victim of the YLS DING FTL



+1, but no I actually still love YLS... I just thought YLS scored better on the assessments then Harvard did and that scan now gives them equal weights of 4.8.


Actually there have been many years when HLS scored better on the assessments, notably in the early 2000s when Harvard routinely received 4.9 and Yale 4.8. Again, read the link I posted it gives you a clue to what soonergirl rightly called an "uphill" battle for larger schools.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
Unitas wrote:I just looked at the leaked rankings of law schools, and why is Yale above Harvard on it??? Is it just the acceptance rate and teacher student ratio??


Another Victim of the YLS DING FTL



+1, but no I actually still love YLS... I just thought YLS scored better on the assessments then Harvard did and that scan now gives them equal weights of 4.8.


Actually there has been many years when HLS scored better on the assessments, notably in the early 2000s when Harvard routinely received 4.9 and Yale 4.8. Again, read the link I posted it gives you a clue to what soonergirl rightly called an "uphill" battle for larger schools.


I will read it when Thursday is a little closer when I hope we have better copies of the US news to read. I can't squint at those numbers anymore... Tired. Thanks for posting the link, it is in my favorites now until I read it.

I just always thought Yale did better on those assessments, guess I didn't read the rankings close enough.

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Haha ok sound good. There is a size button though to make it larger.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:14 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Haha ok sound good. There is a size button though to make it larger.


The only pics of the magazine I saw were grainy, are there others? Eh, don't care too tired to look anyhow.

I've spent all evening on microeconomic theory and then a bunch of regression analyses. Eyes are strained and I'm tired. Probably don't make much sense. Have a good evening all. Hope this thread gets more positive news tomorrow.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:11 am

Sorry to un-derail this thread, but does anyone find it interesting that insertwittyname got a JR1 before creatinganalt but the latter got a JR2 and insertwittyname is still waiting? The assumption was that a JR1 at this point basically means an acceptance and is used mainly as a psycho filter, but in that case why would a later JR1 hear before a previous one?

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:16 am

invisiblesun wrote:Sorry to un-derail this thread, but does anyone find it interesting that insertwittyname got a JR1 before creatinganalt but the latter got a JR2 and insertwittyname is still waiting? The assumption was that a JR1 at this point basically means an acceptance and is used mainly as a psycho filter, but in that case why would a later JR1 hear before a previous one?


It's interesting but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I'm rooting for you buddy because I know that Harvard is your #1. Harvard is my dream school and I hope we share a good three years of law school soon. Cheers Invisiblesun, good luck.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 am

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Sorry to un-derail this thread, but does anyone find it interesting that insertwittyname got a JR1 before creatinganalt but the latter got a JR2 and insertwittyname is still waiting? The assumption was that a JR1 at this point basically means an acceptance and is used mainly as a psycho filter, but in that case why would a later JR1 hear before a previous one?


It's interesting but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I'm rooting for you buddy because I know that Harvard is your #1. Harvard is my dream school and I hope we share a good three years of law school soon. Cheers Invisiblesun, good luck.

This doesn't directly affect me because my JR1 was only this week, but I guess I assumed that a JR1 at this point was pretty much guaranteed and insertwittyname's case seems to debunk that notion.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 am

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Unitas the USNWR rankings favor smaller schools in many different ways. You correctly pointed out that one of the reasons Yale beats Harvard is the student/teacher ratio. Read this if you want to know more: http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml
I personally prefer Harvard to Yale, but the top 3 schools H,Y,S are in a league of their own and are all amazing.


/begin trolling

Although based on the newest USNWR:
Yale 100
Harvard 97
Stanford 93
Columbia 91

it seems more as if H and Y are in a league of their own...


And C should be grouped with S :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

/end trolling

User avatar
CrimsonCal
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CrimsonCal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 am

Me: "so what are the chances of a school like you and a girl like me ending up together"

Harvard: "not good"

Me: " not good like 1 in a 100?"

Harvard: " I'd say more like 1 in a million"

Me: " so you're saying there's a chance! Yeahh!"

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am

By the way, those of you who don't yet have JR1s, be careful what you wish for. The post-JR1 limbo is a pretty dreary place. For me, I've been trying to play the interview back over in my head and worrying about how there is a likely chance that some of the sentences that came out of my mouth were meaningless or jumbled.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 am

^
i remember saying that a lot time ago....that it was better to not have a JR1 at all than to get a JR1 and then not get a JR2 the next monday....or the next monday....or the next monday...times eighteen or whatever it's been.

the limbo for you isn't even bad yet bc it has only been, like, a day....

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am

somewhatwayward wrote:^
i remember saying that a lot time ago....that it was better to not have a JR1 at all than to get a JR1 and then not get a JR2 the next monday....or the next monday....or the next monday...times eighteen or whatever it's been.

the limbo for you isn't even bad yet bc it has only been, like, a day....


Yeah, I know it's totally ridiculous, considering there is a chance I could not hear anything until the end of the month. It's mainly that getting a JR1 makes you feel so close and then the possibility that you did something (completely within your own hands) to screw it up is pretty much agonizing.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:04 am

Looking at LSN, it looks like last year, the last big batch of pre-waitlist rejections was on April 9, and then a big batch of waitlists came out 4/15. So perhaps most of us who have yet to hear anything either way (and maybe those on hold too) are bound for the waitlist?

Any idea what the chances of getting in off the waitlist are?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], lawlawland16, pizzagoblin and 8 guests