Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emptybee

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emptybee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:14 pm

From what I can tell, there's no historical pattern for when JR1's go out. In terms of patterns, pre-Thanksgiving JR1's seem to be more autoadmits (4/177+ types) or comparable softs. Also in terms of patterns, pre-Thanksgiving JR1's (i.e. you actually had the JR1 before the 19th or so) usually get JR2 1/2 days before Thanksgiving.

Mathematics!

Postby Mathematics! » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:33 pm

Hello all,

I am 19 and just beginning my undergrad at UBC in Vancouver, Canada. I just finished reading through this entire thread and I have to say I feel for those of you who have yet to get your JR1's! :( Also a big congratulations goes out to those of you who have had your JR1's/Interviews! I can only imagine how exciting it must be to check your email and see 1 new message from HLS! :D

After I finish my undergrad, permitting my grades and LSAT are good enough I plan on applying at HLS. I picked up a LSAT review book last week and I am going to begin studying multiple years in advance to hopefully give myself a bit of a head start!

One question I do have for you is how does my Canadian citizenship/Canadian education transfer over to HLS? Will I be looked down upon? Or is there a slight chance it may help set me apart from the pack? I realize HLS is very grades/LSAT orientated but I can't help but worry that somehow me getting my UG from a university outside of the US will hurt me in the long run.

Any insight is appreciated.

I'm rooting for yall!

Peace.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Mathematics! wrote:Hello all,

I am 19 and just beginning my undergrad at UBC in Vancouver, Canada. I just finished reading through this entire thread and I have to say I feel for those of you who have yet to get your JR1's! :( Also a big congratulations goes out to those of you who have had your JR1's/Interviews! I can only imagine how exciting it must be to check your email and see 1 new message from HLS! :D

After I finish my undergrad, permitting my grades and LSAT are good enough I plan on applying at HLS. I picked up a LSAT review book last week and I am going to begin studying multiple years in advance to hopefully give myself a bit of a head start!

One question I do have for you is how does my Canadian citizenship/Canadian education transfer over to HLS? Will I be looked down upon? Or is there a slight chance it may help set me apart from the pack? I realize HLS is very grades/LSAT orientated but I can't help but worry that somehow me getting my UG from a university outside of the US will hurt me in the long run.

I'm rooting for yall!

Peace.

they don't look down at canadians (although an argument could be made that they should). Just get a 4.0.

and don't be set on law school already. I understand that you want to be ready early, but you should really spend your first 2.5 years of UG exploring

superberry

Postby superberry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:39 pm

capitalacq wrote:

I'm rooting for yall!

Peace.

they don't look down at canadians (although an argument could be made that they should). Just get a 4.0.

and don't be set on law school already. I understand that you want to be ready early, but you should really spend your first 2.5 years of UG exploring

Let's not go there, this thread is stressful enough.

Shadyb

Postby Shadyb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 pm

They don't look down on it, but be aware that it's much harder to get As in a Canadian undergrad and I don't think the adcoms will cut you any slack. So for now just focus on working hard and finding courses you enjoy. Don't worry about the LSAT yet, there's only so much time you can devote to it! Also, this really isn't the right forum for this, so hopefully it will die now...

Best of luck to everyone who's applying to HLS this cycle!

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:49 pm

superberry wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

I'm rooting for yall!

Peace.

Let's not go there, this thread is stressful enough.

lol thus the joke to lighten the mood im sure!

but to Mathematics! -- studying for the LSAT now is, imo, a very bad idea. you will just end up burned out, and you seem too deadset on something that you should really reserve some time for exploring. you have a few yrs of searching and seeing what fits, so why rush it now?

the LSAT does NOT require YEARS of preparation.

and i dont think they look down on Canadian UGs either; GPA/LSAT #'s plz.

UofO

Postby UofO » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 pm

capitalacq wrote:

I'm rooting for yall!

Peace.

What argument can you make that would suggest that Harvard should look down at Canadian UG's? One could easily argue that our universities are better than most of the American ones.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 am

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 am

capitalacq wrote:Image

lol, i almost feel as if shadyb made an alt account as UofO just to repost that idea hahaha

UofO

Postby UofO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
capitalacq wrote:Image

lol, i almost feel as if shadyb made an alt account as UofO just to repost that idea hahaha

lol, it's a valid question.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:06 am

UofO wrote:
capitalacq wrote:they don't look down at canadians (although an argument could be made that they should). Just get a 4.0.

What argument can you make that would suggest that Harvard should look down at Canadian UG's? One could easily argue that our universities are better than most of the American ones.

It's on the basis that Harvard highly values applicants who are able to detect and take jokes.

UofO

Postby UofO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 am

puppins wrote:
UofO wrote:
capitalacq wrote:they don't look down at canadians (although an argument could be made that they should). Just get a 4.0.

It's on the basis that Harvard highly values applicants who are able to detect and take jokes.

haha, damn it. You win.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:20 am

puppins wrote:
UofO wrote:

This seems unfair. I can't think of any reasonable way to standardize the humor aspect of admissions. GPA is already bad enough, with each school having different standards and medians, but testing for the ability to recognize jokes? Some applicants may have perfectly good senses of humor but need to write about serious things, meaning that they'd have no opportunity to display their sense of humor.

I think this statement also overlooks that humor is incredibly subjective. What's funny to a highly educated Harvard admissions official may not be the same type of thing that's funny to the average applicant. How are we supposed to know what they'll consider a joke? Does anyone know anything more about this? I haven't seen this bizarre theory mentioned anywhere else on TLS or in any of the interviews I've read.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 am

tomhobbes wrote:
puppins wrote:
UofO wrote:

This seems unfair. I can't think of any reasonable way to standardize the humor aspect of admissions. GPA is already bad enough, with each school having different standards and medians, but testing for the ability to recognize jokes? Some applicants may have perfectly good senses of humor but need to write about serious things, meaning that they'd have no opportunity to display their sense of humor.

I think this statement also overlooks that humor is incredibly subjective. What's funny to a highly educated Harvard admissions official may not be the same type of thing that's funny to the average applicant. How are we supposed to know what they'll consider a joke? Does anyone know anything more about this? I haven't seen this bizarre theory mentioned anywhere else on TLS or in any of the interviews I've read.

JR1's aren't given out unless JR finds your personal statement funny... thus if you don't pass the humor test Harvard won't even look at your #s..

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 am

tomhobbes wrote:
puppins wrote:
UofO wrote:

ITT: tomhobbes outed as a Canadian.

Mathematics!

Postby Mathematics! » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:25 am

I realize I may be getting ahead of myself by preparing for the LSAT this early but I don't think it hurts to at least get an idea of what I could be up against in a few years time. I'm using my UG as an opportunity to learn & explore new ideas, and although I am not 100% set on becoming a lawyer, at this point I feel it will most likely be the career path I choose.

Thanks for the replies, and I will continue to take good care of my GPA.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

T14

Postby T14 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 am

tomhobbes wrote:This seems unfair. I can't think of any reasonable way to standardize the humor aspect of admissions. GPA is already bad enough, with each school having different standards and medians, but testing for the ability to recognize jokes? Some applicants may have perfectly good senses of humor but need to write about serious things, meaning that they'd have no opportunity to display their sense of humor.

Beautiful and well executed. :lol:

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:16 am

tomhobbes wrote:
puppins wrote:
UofO wrote:

...I think this statement also overlooks that humor is incredibly subjective. What's funny to a highly educated Harvard admissions official may not be the same type of thing that's funny to the average applicant. How are we supposed to know what they'll consider a joke? Does anyone know anything more about this? I haven't seen this bizarre theory mentioned anywhere else on TLS or in any of the interviews I've read.

But it being subjective hardly means it cannot be an element of the application process. Hell, the whole idea of 'softs' is subjective! Going on the assumption that 'humor' will be treated like a soft (since it isnt a hard number), we just have to realize that some applications of humor (or at least proof that you have a sense of humor) will be standout relative to others. Everyone can tell standard story setup jokes, but things that show true commitment would have you venture out of your safety zone (in a good way, not something tasteless or racy). For example, I think deadpan sarcasm and jokes w/ irony are all the rage today. Interlacing it w/ bits and pieces of the PS may very well be the bump someone needs to get in. Don't demean a theory that could be the difference between getting an accept rather than a waitlist!

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:14 am

I better get my HS ready for my application then...

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 am

And I spent all that time trying to make sure JR would not laugh at my PS... no wonder I haven't had a JR1...

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:46 pm

JR1 !

Wow. I'm nervous.

alleyoop86

Postby alleyoop86 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Chichaca wrote:JR1 !

Wow. I'm nervous.

same here! :?

Isa

Postby Isa » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 pm

Just got the JR1 email!! :D Application received/under review 10/26. I actually haven't received a "complete" email yet haha.

Would it be a bad idea to reply to the email even if we don't have a conflict with the time scheduled? I always feel compelled to confirm emails, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate in this case...thoughts?

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:02 pm

yeah i have the same question...reply and confirm regardless? just got the JR1 myself.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:05 pm

wooohoooo, got me a JR1!! wow, what a wait. so excited right now. submitted toward the end of sept, been complete since early october

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”