Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:45 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Nice. I wonder how much the JR1 plays a part in the admissions decision...considering that applicants who have been around this long are likely borderline, maybe the role is larger than usual in my case? Also, I know everyone says it's little more than a "psycho screen" but with 1100 calls for 800 acceptances, I'm guessing there's something else they're looking for...

Haha, I actually talked to JR at the admitted students weekend about this (and some other things). He said that he has a pretty solid idea of what his decision is going to be before the interview. It's really just to see that you can be professional enough to have coherent answers to his questions. The impression he gave is that it's kind of pass/fail, with 95% passing and the other five percent having big red flags. He actually said that someone responded to his question, "Why HLS?," with "I don't know," and nothing else. That's a no-no.

300/1100 is a bit more than 5%, so that makes me think he goes into some interviews already knowing he's not going to take the person. Why string them along, then?

Dude, there had been some new posts made since you had last viewed the thread. You may have wanted to review your post in light of them.

Hey thanks TLS automated notification system!

(That option actually didn't come up for me when I hit submit even in light of your new post...weird, cause it usually works.)

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Just got my JR2!

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Just got my JR2!

Holy crap. 2 business days after your JR1? That's gotta be a record.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Whoa, all right, probably should have been more careful, lol (re: flurry of pms). I pulled the percentages out of the air just to convey the impression that I got: the interview has very little dispositive value unless you fuck it up, which very few people do. Who knows, maybe he's unsure, interviews to double check you're coherent, then makes a decision based on something else in your app; maybe some other staff member likes you and he's going to interview you to double check you're coherent.

The rest of our conversation was about what particular perspective he might bring to the admissions process. He said that he's very interested in data. Going forward, he's interested in longitudinal studies of graduates that can actually show which admissions factors lead to the best outcomes, and thus which ones admissions should focus on. He didn't get into detail about what these factors are, or whether he actually had them in hand rather than simply being interested in them.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:54 pm

ConMan345 wrote:The rest of our conversation was about what particular perspective he might bring to the admissions process. He said that he's very interested in data. Going forward, he's interested in longitudinal studies of graduates that can actually show which admissions factors lead to the best outcomes, and thus which ones admissions should focus on. He didn't get into detail about what these factors are, or whether he actually had them in hand rather than simply being interested in them.

Given that it's his first year as dean, that sounds to me like he's going to assemble a diverse class the first time around and look at them in three years/even further down the road to see if he can trace any kind of correlation between certain factors and "positive outcomes" (employment?).

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:00 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

I think at this point in the cycle they like to get to the point faster! So excited. Need to speak to financial aid (as this is where it all gets messy) but as long as I can get the loans, there is no doubt in my mind that I am in Cambridge in Sept!

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

I think at this point in the cycle they like to get to the point faster! So excited. Need to speak to financial aid (as this is where it all gets messy) but as long as I can get the loans, there is no doubt in my mind that I am in Cambridge in Sept!

Haha. Now I'm going to be flipping out when Thursday rolls around and I don't get a JR2 :P

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Whoa, all right, probably should have been more careful, lol (re: flurry of pms). I pulled the percentages out of the air just to convey the impression that I got: the interview has very little dispositive value unless you fuck it up, which very few people do. Who knows, maybe he's unsure, interviews to double check you're coherent, then makes a decision based on something else in your app; maybe some other staff member likes you and he's going to interview you to double check you're coherent.

The rest of our conversation was about what particular perspective he might bring to the admissions process. He said that he's very interested in data. Going forward, he's interested in longitudinal studies of graduates that can actually show which admissions factors lead to the best outcomes, and thus which ones admissions should focus on. He didn't get into detail about what these factors are, or whether he actually had them in hand rather than simply being interested in them.

In that case, I'm guessing I should assume that I didn't "fuck it up" because he ended up asking me where Harvard sits on my list...haha

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 pm

So presumably -

There will be final JR1/JR2s in the next week or so, and then a WL announcement.

THEN after the deposit deadline in early-mid May, I'm assuming there will be some new JR1/JR2s due to people who didn't put down deposits and going elsewhere... which will trickle down immediately but keep going until late August.

Sound right? 8)

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:07 pm

blue5385 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:The rest of our conversation was about what particular perspective he might bring to the admissions process. He said that he's very interested in data. Going forward, he's interested in longitudinal studies of graduates that can actually show which admissions factors lead to the best outcomes, and thus which ones admissions should focus on. He didn't get into detail about what these factors are, or whether he actually had them in hand rather than simply being interested in them.

Given that it's his first year as dean, that sounds to me like he's going to [strike]assemblea diverse class the first time around and look at them in three years/even further down the road to see if he can trace any kind of correlation between certain factors and "positive outcomes" (employment?).[/strike] maximize avg LSAT and avg GPA

ftfy

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm

englawyer wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Given that it's his first year as dean, that sounds to me like he's going to [strike]assemble a diverse class the first time around and look at them in three years/even further down the road to see if he can trace any kind of correlation between certain factors and "positive outcomes" (employment?).[/strike] maximize avg LSAT and avg GPA

ftfy

He can maintain or maybe even raise the current quartiles and still assemble a diverse class...whoever said high achievers weren't diverse? :P

weee

Postby weee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Here's my impression of the HLS admission process based on almost nothing except some date trends I noticed on LSN

Step 1) Application sits around for 1 month, then is marked "complete"

Step 2) Application gets a look, and then stuck into Yes/No/Maybe Piles

Step 3) Yes piles get a JR1, Maybes get holds, No's hear nothing

Step 4) Most Yes' get JR2 shortly after step 3, No's sit in a dated pile for 2 months to give the people the impression that "hey they really looked at my app, HLS is super holistic", holds are grabbed after a few more looks are taken and they really get to like you, or put into a 2 month marination pile for extra suspense

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:25 pm

By the way, I wonder if >insertwittyname< got his; he had a JR1 that was before yours IIRC. Then again, his original JR1 post was on April Fool's Day (he did insist he was serious nonetheless but perhaps it requires a grain of salt)...

ilovelamp18

Postby ilovelamp18 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Dinged today. complete mid-feb.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

By the way, I wonder if >insertwittyname< got his; he had a JR1 that was before yours IIRC. Then again, his original JR1 post was on April Fool's Day (he did insist he was serious nonetheless but perhaps it requires a grain of salt)...

You shouldn't be worried. My JR1 was very rushed and he didn't ask me what I was doing now or even about my resume! I was really nervous but generally excited and probably made my answers a bit too rushed. He laughed at a couple of things I'd said but I don't think I came across as brilliant or anything. It was 5 min exactly. Honestly, (possibly TMI but it's too late since they let me in. HA!) JR's voice is a kinda crush worthy and I was a bit distracted!

I then followed up with a thank you email in which I baldly stated that HLS was my first choice and I would attend if admitted. It's a bit late in the cycle to be coy and HLS is my first choice. If you haven't done that, get on it.

>insert witty name<

Postby >insert witty name< » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:23 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

I did have my JR1 on 4/2, but no JR2 as of now. My interview was exactly like yours except he didn't ask me where Harvard stood in my preferences. (I'm trying not to take that as a bad sign). I didn't follow up with a thank you email, I didn't realize that was the standard, do you guys think that it's too late to do that now? My JR1 was 11 days ago....

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:25 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

You shouldn't be worried. My JR1 was very rushed and he didn't ask me what I was doing now or even about my resume! I was really nervous but generally excited and probably made my answers a bit too rushed. He laughed at a couple of things I'd said but I don't think I came across as brilliant or anything. It was 5 min exactly. Honestly, (possibly TMI but it's too late since they let me in. HA!) JR's voice is a kinda crush worthy and I was a bit distracted!

I then followed up with a thank you email in which I baldly stated that HLS was my first choice and I would attend if admitted. It's a bit late in the cycle to be coy and HLS is my first choice. If you haven't done that, get on it.

JR has a sexy voice?!?

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

I did have my JR1 on 4/2, but no JR2 as of now. My interview was exactly like yours except he didn't ask me where Harvard stood in my preferences. (I'm trying not to take that as a bad sign). I didn't follow up with a thank you email, I didn't realize that was the standard, do you guys think that it's too late to do that now? My JR1 was 11 days ago....

Honestly I have no idea! I think you will get it. Why would you get the JR1 if they didn't want you!

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm

blue5385 wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

JR has a sexy voice?!?

Well, I would.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:You shouldn't be worried. My JR1 was very rushed and he didn't ask me what I was doing now or even about my resume! I was really nervous but generally excited and probably made my answers a bit too rushed. He laughed at a couple of things I'd said but I don't think I came across as brilliant or anything. It was 5 min exactly. Honestly, (possibly TMI but it's too late since they let me in. HA!) JR's voice is a kinda crush worthy and I was a bit distracted!

JR has a sexy voice?!?

Well, I would.

It's funny cause I never pictured him as hot. I pictured him looking kinda like my old roommate's boyfriend, who is not hot. Not that a sexy voice automatically = hot, but still...
Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm

JR is not hot.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I'd rather persist in my newly formed conviction that JR is hot unless someone links a pic proving otherwise. :P

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm

--ImageRemoved--

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:08 pm

I don't know if he is hot (LOL) I just know that his voice is quite crush worthy (I admit my love for Harvard and my desperate desire to hear his voice may have been coloring it slightly).

EDIT: hahahaha. Just seen above. Honest question to people still waiting for a JR1/JR2 - worth it for the phone call? I think so.
Last edited by creatinganalt on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 pm

ConMan345 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

He's cute, it's a nerdy/bad pic though

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”