Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatordude94
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gatordude94 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:03 pm

NightHooded wrote:So is there a consensus what type of movement will come in the next few weeks? Is there any hope of any more JR1s and JR2s??

I am having trouble sifting the wheat from the chaff here... This is becoming the PN 2010 thread :evil:


JR laid down "mid-April" as a marker in his hold emails. As we near tax day, hopefully we'll see some actions of closure (dings and JR2s). Maybe a few more JR1s, like invisiblesun. Would expect a big blast of uncertainty in the form of WL emails in the next two weeks. As we get into May and the passing of deposit deadlines, hopefully HLS gets some withdrawals and the cycle continues (dings, JR1s, JR2s) into late summer.

This is the consensus that I've come to with myself, but I think it reflects the views of some others.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm

gatordude94 wrote:
NightHooded wrote:So is there a consensus what type of movement will come in the next few weeks? Is there any hope of any more JR1s and JR2s??

I am having trouble sifting the wheat from the chaff here... This is becoming the PN 2010 thread :evil:


JR laid down "mid-April" as a marker in his hold emails. As we near tax day, hopefully we'll see some actions of closure (dings and JR2s). Maybe a few more JR1s, like invisiblesun. Would expect a big blast of uncertainty in the form of WL emails in the next two weeks. As we get into May and the passing of deposit deadlines, hopefully HLS gets some withdrawals and the cycle continues (dings, JR1s, JR2s) into late summer.

This is the consensus that I've come to with myself, but I think it reflects the views of some others.

this is correct.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

No one seems to know what happened to PN, mods generally don't delete account histories for any reason.. So the whole thing is very weird. Seems more like PN disappeared without a trace.... Wonder what government organization does that?

NightHooded
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby NightHooded » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:11 pm

gatordude94 wrote:
NightHooded wrote:So is there a consensus what type of movement will come in the next few weeks? Is there any hope of any more JR1s and JR2s??

I am having trouble sifting the wheat from the chaff here... This is becoming the PN 2010 thread :evil:


JR laid down "mid-April" as a marker in his hold emails. As we near tax day, hopefully we'll see some actions of closure (dings and JR2s). Maybe a few more JR1s, like invisiblesun. Would expect a big blast of uncertainty in the form of WL emails in the next two weeks. As we get into May and the passing of deposit deadlines, hopefully HLS gets some withdrawals and the cycle continues (dings, JR1s, JR2s) into late summer.

This is the consensus that I've come to with myself, but I think it reflects the views of some others.


Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

NightHooded wrote:Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?


No schools will do this. They'll tell you that the "re-evaluate the entire applicant pool" when selecting someone off the WL. However, you can differentiate yourself by visiting the school, sending a LoC or LoR, etc.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

NightHooded wrote:
gatordude94 wrote:
NightHooded wrote:So is there a consensus what type of movement will come in the next few weeks? Is there any hope of any more JR1s and JR2s??

I am having trouble sifting the wheat from the chaff here... This is becoming the PN 2010 thread :evil:


JR laid down "mid-April" as a marker in his hold emails. As we near tax day, hopefully we'll see some actions of closure (dings and JR2s). Maybe a few more JR1s, like invisiblesun. Would expect a big blast of uncertainty in the form of WL emails in the next two weeks. As we get into May and the passing of deposit deadlines, hopefully HLS gets some withdrawals and the cycle continues (dings, JR1s, JR2s) into late summer.

This is the consensus that I've come to with myself, but I think it reflects the views of some others.


Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?

there is no indication that they do anything of the sort.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:25 pm

soonergirl wrote:
NightHooded wrote:Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?


No schools will do this. They'll tell you that the "re-evaluate the entire applicant pool" when selecting someone off the WL. However, you can differentiate yourself by visiting the school, sending a LoC or LoR, etc.


That is the usual party line. I'm guessing that it's more numerically based at larger schools and more qualitatively based at smaller schools. For example, if Stanford (who takes a lot of people off their waitlist given their ~40% yield) wanted a balance of types of applicants in their class, they may use the WL to fill in that type of applicant. For HLS, their size makes it unlikely that a relatively small group of WL acceptances would significantly affect the composition of the class.

(I'm just speculating here, but this seems intuitive to me)

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:34 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
NightHooded wrote:Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?


No schools will do this. They'll tell you that the "re-evaluate the entire applicant pool" when selecting someone off the WL. However, you can differentiate yourself by visiting the school, sending a LoC or LoR, etc.


That is the usual party line. I'm guessing that it's more numerically based at larger schools and more qualitatively based at smaller schools. For example, if Stanford (who takes a lot of people off their waitlist given their ~40% yield) wanted a balance of types of applicants in their class, they may use the WL to fill in that type of applicant. For HLS, their size makes it unlikely that a relatively small group of WL acceptances would significantly affect the composition of the class.

(I'm just speculating here, but this seems intuitive to me)



oh, absolutely. I didn't mean that what I posted was how they actually do it. But what he asked was what they tell you, and they'll tell you that they don't rank waitlisters and can't give you a sense of the likelihood of an offer.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:36 pm

soonergirl wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
NightHooded wrote:Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?


No schools will do this. They'll tell you that the "re-evaluate the entire applicant pool" when selecting someone off the WL. However, you can differentiate yourself by visiting the school, sending a LoC or LoR, etc.


That is the usual party line. I'm guessing that it's more numerically based at larger schools and more qualitatively based at smaller schools. For example, if Stanford (who takes a lot of people off their waitlist given their ~40% yield) wanted a balance of types of applicants in their class, they may use the WL to fill in that type of applicant. For HLS, their size makes it unlikely that a relatively small group of WL acceptances would significantly affect the composition of the class.

(I'm just speculating here, but this seems intuitive to me)



oh, absolutely. I didn't mean that what I posted was how they actually do it. But what he asked was what they tell you, and they'll tell you that they don't rank waitlisters and can't give you a sense of the likelihood of an offer.


Of course, I was actually agreeing with you but also expanding on it.

NightHooded
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby NightHooded » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
NightHooded wrote:Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?


No schools will do this. They'll tell you that the "re-evaluate the entire applicant pool" when selecting someone off the WL. However, you can differentiate yourself by visiting the school, sending a LoC or LoR, etc.


That is the usual party line. I'm guessing that it's more numerically based at larger schools and more qualitatively based at smaller schools. For example, if Stanford (who takes a lot of people off their waitlist given their ~40% yield) wanted a balance of types of applicants in their class, they may use the WL to fill in that type of applicant. For HLS, their size makes it unlikely that a relatively small group of WL acceptances would significantly affect the composition of the class.

(I'm just speculating here, but this seems intuitive to me)


OK... I doubt that you can do much if WLed because -presumably- you already sent in LOCIs and whatnot. If I am correct, visiting HLS does nothing. According to their website, you can do a self-tour and that's it. :?:

Also, didnt realize that about Stanford. I knew it had a smaller acceptance rate than Harvard. I assume many of their admits choose Yale or Harvard instead.

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:47 pm

NightHooded wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
NightHooded wrote:Thank you. Anyone know if they tell you your approximate position on the WL?


No schools will do this. They'll tell you that the "re-evaluate the entire applicant pool" when selecting someone off the WL. However, you can differentiate yourself by visiting the school, sending a LoC or LoR, etc.


That is the usual party line. I'm guessing that it's more numerically based at larger schools and more qualitatively based at smaller schools. For example, if Stanford (who takes a lot of people off their waitlist given their ~40% yield) wanted a balance of types of applicants in their class, they may use the WL to fill in that type of applicant. For HLS, their size makes it unlikely that a relatively small group of WL acceptances would significantly affect the composition of the class.

(I'm just speculating here, but this seems intuitive to me)


OK... I doubt that you can do much if WLed because -presumably- you already sent in LOCIs and whatnot. If I am correct, visiting HLS does nothing. According to their website, you can do a self-tour and that's it. :?:

Also, didnt realize that about Stanford. I knew it had a smaller acceptance rate than Harvard. I assume many of their admits choose Yale or Harvard instead.


The school will absolutely make note of it if you stop by their admissions office in person and ask intelligent questions.

As for Stanford, when I was there I heard (unofficially) that they mostly accept regional waitlisters, thinking that it's more likely that students close by can make a later move. That implies that they're still thinking about YP even when offering admissions off of waitlist. Don't know how true that is.

NightHooded
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby NightHooded » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 pm

soonergirl wrote:
The school will absolutely make note of it if you stop by their admissions office in person and ask intelligent questions.



I'd love to think that's true, but I've heard and read a lot to the contrary. Apparently most schools don't even ask you your name when you drop by for a visit... :oops: I haven't heard of anyone getting anything beyond a self-tour at Harvard either. If it works, I'm game to visit myself :o

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Is HLS known to be one of those schools that doesn't get back to some applicants with a concrete decision (not counting holds) and then emails them a week into classes saying something like "As you may have guessed, we rejected you"? If so, I could totally see this happening to me.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:37 pm

blue5385 wrote:Is HLS known to be one of those schools that doesn't get back to some applicants with a concrete decision (not counting holds) and then emails them a week into classes saying something like "As you may have guessed, we rejected you"? If so, I could totally see this happening to me.

no, not really. if you look at lsn they do send out waitlists in mid/late april and then slowly release groups of people from the waitlist from may up until august. by early august it seems there is a small group left from which they pick a couple of people at the very last minute.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is HLS known to be one of those schools that doesn't get back to some applicants with a concrete decision (not counting holds) and then emails them a week into classes saying something like "As you may have guessed, we rejected you"? If so, I could totally see this happening to me.

no, not really. if you look at lsn they do send out waitlists in mid/late april and then slowly release groups of people from the waitlist from may up until august. by early august it seems there is a small group left from which they pick a couple of people at the very last minute.


Still though, August...I'll probably be living in Morningside Heights by then. :) I wonder what prompts them to take people off the WL so late? I was under the impression that deferral requests are due in June for most schools, at which point they evaluate who to take off their WL. The only reason (other than a deferral) I can picture someone backing out of HLS is because they got into YLS/possibly SLS, and I'd think those schools would fill up their WL spots in June/July based on deferral requests. I'm not trying to argue with you Benito, since I saw that some people reported Aug. acceptances off the WL on LSN last cycle. I'm more trying to conjecture why that would happen so late in the game.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 pm

blue5385 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is HLS known to be one of those schools that doesn't get back to some applicants with a concrete decision (not counting holds) and then emails them a week into classes saying something like "As you may have guessed, we rejected you"? If so, I could totally see this happening to me.

no, not really. if you look at lsn they do send out waitlists in mid/late april and then slowly release groups of people from the waitlist from may up until august. by early august it seems there is a small group left from which they pick a couple of people at the very last minute.


Still though, August...I'll probably be living in Morningside Heights by then. :) I wonder what prompts them to take people off the WL so late? I was under the impression that deferral requests are due in June for most schools, at which point they evaluate who to take off their WL. The only reason (other than a deferral) I can picture someone backing out of HLS is because they got into YLS/possibly SLS, and I'd think those schools would fill up their WL spots in June/July based on deferral requests. I'm not trying to argue with you Benito, since I saw that some people reported Aug. acceptances off the WL on LSN last cycle. I'm more trying to conjecture why that would happen so late in the game.

I know one person who made a last minute deferral at another school for family reasons and another who deferred another graduate program like two weeks before beginning because she got off the waitlist for a prestigious one-year fellowship; she had notified the school that she was on the fellowship waitlist and they had agreed to let her defer for a year if she got the fellowship.

User avatar
eattrucks
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby eattrucks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Is the deposit deadline for H on the 15th or 30th?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm

eattrucks wrote:Is the deposit deadline for H on the 15th or 30th?


Neither, May 1st.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm still debating sending in an LOCI... I mean it can't hurt now that I'm held right?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Sogui wrote:I'm still debating sending in an LOCI... I mean it can't hurt now that I'm held right?


I've already sent two.... :?

I'll send a third come May 10thish...

User avatar
chi16
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby chi16 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

UR since 2/24. No JR1. Absolutely nothing since receiving an e-mail a few days after my status changed to let me know (as I knew already) that i was under review.

I'm screwed, right?

User avatar
>insert witty name<
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby >insert witty name< » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 pm

chi16 wrote:UR since 2/24. No JR1. Absolutely nothing since receiving an e-mail a few days after my status changed to let me know (as I knew already) that i was under review.

I'm screwed, right?



I wouldn't lose heart just due to the status checker if I were you. On my status checker it says UR 12/24, even though I went complete in early January and then had a JR1 a few weeks ago. so clearly it has been looked at/reviewed since then and has not been updated on the status checker.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:46 am

Unitas wrote:I've already sent two.... :?

I'll send a third come May 10thish...


How far apart did you space yours? I sent my first two weeks ago, so I won't be sending anything for awhile, but provided I don't hear back before the end of the month I'll consider sending another one. I have some work updates that are directly relevant to law school, so I'm figuring it couldn't hurt.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 am

blue5385 wrote:
Unitas wrote:I've already sent two.... :?

I'll send a third come May 10thish...


How far apart did you space yours? I sent my first two weeks ago, so I won't be sending anything for awhile, but provided I don't hear back before the end of the month I'll consider sending another one. I have some work updates that are directly relevant to law school, so I'm figuring it couldn't hurt.


One month apart, almost to the day. I figured, what is it going to hurt? I had some stuff to update, so I updated it. Come May after graduation I will have more updates and I will update them then too.

As an aside, I am thinking they are going back through holds by chronological dates.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 am

Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Unitas wrote:I've already sent two.... :?

I'll send a third come May 10thish...


How far apart did you space yours? I sent my first two weeks ago, so I won't be sending anything for awhile, but provided I don't hear back before the end of the month I'll consider sending another one. I have some work updates that are directly relevant to law school, so I'm figuring it couldn't hurt.


One month apart, almost to the day. I figured, what is it going to hurt? I had some stuff to update, so I updated it. Come May after graduation I will have more updates and I will update them then too.

As an aside, I am thinking they are going back through holds by chronological dates.


thanks Unitas. I was thinking similar spacing between LOCIs. Also, do you mean going back thru holds chronologically by held date or by app received/first UR date?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crimsonknight, Google Adsense [Bot], jdanz, mccracal, sec_undergrad, studyingeveryday, theothercat, WamBamThankYouMaam and 47 guests