Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
invisiblesun

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 pm

soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Hi Jenny! Where have you been all these years?

thank goodness for other old people.

Haha I got the reference, I was just making a joke. As you can see by my avatar <-, I clearly have some knowledge of 80s music :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:14 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
CG614 wrote:Congrats, enjoy Cambridge.

Since any shred of anonymity I had is obviously destroyed, I might as well let the cat out of the bag. I got a JR1 e-mail, and the phone call is scheduled for the not-so-distant future. I don't know whether to jump up and down with excitement (as I did when I first got the e-mail) or guard my optimism in case the whole JR1->WL thing happens to me. I was held in January.

Congrats and good luck!

I think that also crushes the hopes of everyone who hasn't heard anything yet since completing, since they are going over the held apps and giving out JR1's.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Since any shred of anonymity I had is obviously destroyed, I might as well let the cat out of the bag. I got a JR1 e-mail, and the phone call is scheduled for the not-so-distant future. I don't know whether to jump up and down with excitement (as I did when I first got the e-mail) or guard my optimism in case the whole JR1->WL thing happens to me. I was held in January.

Congrats and good luck!

I think that also crushes the hopes of everyone who hasn't heard anything yet since completing, since they are going over the held apps and giving out JR1's.

I mean, that's how I felt as each wave of JR1s/JR2s came out since March (when my new score came in)...but obviously I still have some hope, so I wouldn't give up if I were you. My remaining concerns are the interview and how optimistic I should be feeling....

ToriM

Postby ToriM » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Congrats and good luck!

Sigh, guess I should be expecting that ding soon enough. Congratulations, though, invisiblesun! :)

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:20 pm

invisiblesun wrote:I mean, that's how I felt as each wave of JR1s/JR2s came out since March (when my new score came in)...but obviously I still have some hope, so I wouldn't give up if I were you. My remaining concerns are the interview and how optimistic I should be feeling....

If that number is correct, then you should feel very optimistic. Just make a point of exuding confidence combined with humility/appreciation, and make sure you have your thoughts on why you want to go to LS/HLS organized.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:21 pm

invisiblesun wrote:Since any shred of anonymity I had is obviously destroyed, I might as well let the cat out of the bag. I got a JR1 e-mail, and the phone call is scheduled for the not-so-distant future. I don't know whether to jump up and down with excitement (as I did when I first got the e-mail) or guard my optimism in case the whole JR1->WL thing happens to me. I was held in January.

Congrats on your JR1, IS! (Although it was pretty much a given with your ridiculous LSAT. :wink: ) When did you get the JR1 email?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm

soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Hi Jenny! Where have you been all these years?

thank goodness for other old people.

Actually there were two other song references by Tommy Tutone in my original quote. I was the proud ( :roll: ) owner of that album.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:24 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Since any shred of anonymity I had is obviously destroyed, I might as well let the cat out of the bag. I got a JR1 e-mail, and the phone call is scheduled for the not-so-distant future. I don't know whether to jump up and down with excitement (as I did when I first got the e-mail) or guard my optimism in case the whole JR1->WL thing happens to me. I was held in January.

Congrats on your JR1, IS! (Although it was pretty much a given with your ridiculous LSAT. :wink: ) When did you get the JR1 email?

Thanks, I wasn't convinced- my LSAT came in the last weekend of Feb. (so March for them) but I didn't get the JR1 e-mail until later last week. I guess I have no conception of where my application was in the queue or how long it took them to re-review it, but the HLS adcomms had me sweating (although a JR1 alone is definitely not total relief).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm

invisiblesun wrote:I mean, that's how I felt as each wave of JR1s/JR2s came out since March (when my new score came in)...but obviously I still have some hope, so I wouldn't give up if I were you. My remaining concerns are the interview and how optimistic I should be feeling....

I wouldn't be too concerned. At this point they probably wouldn't waste their time interviewing candidates unless they know that you are likely to be someone they will accept, especially when not all held candidates are getting interviews. Just don't raise any red flags and I think you are as good as in.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Thanks, I wasn't convinced- my LSAT came in the last weekend of Feb. (so March for them) but I didn't get the JR1 e-mail until later last week. I guess I have no conception of where my application was in the queue or how long it took them to re-review it, but the HLS adcomms had me sweating (although a JR1 alone is definitely not total relief).

I doubt they will waste their time giving JR1s to applicants they don't want to admit since they must be pressed for time at this point in the cycle. As long as you don't come off like a total psycho, which I'm guessing you won't, you're probably as good as in.

edit: in right after r6 who said basically the same thing, haha.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 pm

ToriM wrote:Sigh, guess I should be expecting that ding soon enough. Congratulations, though, invisiblesun! :)

Don't feel down just yet, I really am not convinced that this cycle is really that much more competitive at the top. I think everyone, including h is being cautious but it will turn out to be just another cycle for them. There were a few people turning down H/Y/S for money on LSN this weekend. In this economy, maybe more people will be lured away from sticker price. Waitlist may not be as much of a bad thing as years past. If you are not waitlisted yet, there is still a good chance that you will be considered before they finalize. The fact that we are not rejected yet should be a very good sign. At least we are in the range of being possibly acceptable.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:I doubt they will waste their time giving JR1s to applicants they don't want to admit since they must be pressed for time at this point in the cycle. As long as you don't come off like a total psycho, which I'm guessing you won't, you're probably as good as in.

Does this mean I get to come on here and yell at you guys if I have my JR1 and then get a 5/5 WL e-mail? :P

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I doubt they will waste their time giving JR1s to applicants they don't want to admit since they must be pressed for time at this point in the cycle. As long as you don't come off like a total psycho, which I'm guessing you won't, you're probably as good as in.

Does this mean I get to come on here and yell at you guys if I have my JR1 and then get a 5/5 WL e-mail? :P

No, it means you get to yell at yourself for scaring the crap out of JR during your phone interview. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:36 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

No, it means you get to yell at yourself for scaring the crap out of JR during your phone interview. :wink:

+1!!!
I appreciate that you are looking out for us, but please take that seat!

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:37 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Touche. Regarding what you and r6 said, I was thinking roughly the same thing; why would they JR1 a held applicant just to WL me? Unless I'm one of those people who could be admit or WL depending on how deposits go, but in that case I feel like they would wait rather than interview me...

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Congrats invisiblesun! Agree with soonergirl, be prepared to answer:
- What have you been up to?
- Why law school?
- Why HLS?
- What do you hope to do with your law degree?

JR also asks if you have questions for him, so I'd have one or two ready.

Given your LSAT, they're probably making sure you're not a nut. Doubt it will be your last phone call with JR.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:39 pm

gatordude94 wrote:Congrats invisiblesun! Agree with soonergirl, be prepared to answer:
- What have you been up to?
- Why law school?
- Why HLS?
- What do you hope to do with your law degree?

JR also asks if you have questions for him, so I'd have one or two ready.

Given your LSAT, they're probably making sure you're not a nut. Doubt it will be your last phone call with JR.

Haha, question for JR: Soooo, you gonna accept me soon? :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

invisiblesun wrote:Haha, question for JR: Soooo, you gonna accept me soon? :P

Be tactful, say "So when would I have the pleasure of talking to you again?"

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Haha, really? I have a feeling that that might come across as pushy... (my original wording was in jest)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:44 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha, really? I have a feeling that that might come across as pushy... (my original wording was in jest)

haha yeah, I think this would fall under the heading of scaring the crap out of JR with your pushiness/sense of entitlement if you actually were to say it

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's a standard line for business people. It may be weird coming from a kid in UG, but I would almost expect it from a 30+ yo. if I get a call I will def. end the call with that. Politely pushy is a good thing ;) shows confidence and drive. Well I guess if it fits your other answers.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

haha yeah, I think this would fall under the heading of scaring the crap out of JR with your pushiness/sense of entitlement if you actually were to say it

Agreed. I'm not that clueless :P... but on a related note, I find it somewhat amusing that it's widely assumed that people who score very high on the LSAT are likely to be awkward or devoid of personality...a TLS poster was actually talking (likely out of his ass) about how HYS aren't the best choices because employers know that higher numbers mean worse people skills. :roll:

Also, I think I have a good idea of most of the things I'd say to JR, but I'm trying to work on the "Why Harvard" part so it doesn't come off as lavish praise...haha

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's a standard line for business people. It may be weird coming from a kid in UG, but I would almost expect it from a 30+ yo. if I get a call I will def. end the call with that. Politely pushy is a good thing ;) shows confidence and drive. Well I guess if it fits your other answers.

R6 is 100% right. This is basically an informal job interview. You always close with, "So when should I expect to hear from you again?" (though often the person will have already volunteered this info).

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 pm

soonergirl wrote:Man, a couple of you guys would give Go West a run for their money.

speaking of which, whatever happened to PN?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:53 pm

soonergirl wrote:
R6 is 100% right. This is basically an informal job interview. You always close with, "So when should I expect to hear from you again?" (though often the person will have already volunteered this info).

soonergirl wrote:thank goodness for other old people.

:mrgreen:
Right back at cha!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”