Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adameus

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:54 pm

ok, so for those still waiting, after the last ASW JR made a bunch of acceptances on the monday afternoon. So you should keep your ears open for a ringing phone. Although a JR1 is required for a JR2 and it doesn't seem like any JR1's have gone out recently....

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:57 pm

adameus wrote:ok, so for those still waiting, after the last ASW JR made a bunch of acceptances on the monday afternoon. So you should keep your ears open for a ringing phone. Although a JR1 is required for a JR2 and it doesn't seem like any JR1's have gone out recently....

why would ASWs be correlated with acceptances?

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:why would ASWs be correlated with acceptances?

hey! stop it. We may be grasping at straws here, but it's all we have to hold onto.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:01 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
adameus wrote:ok, so for those still waiting, after the last ASW JR made a bunch of acceptances on the monday afternoon. So you should keep your ears open for a ringing phone. Although a JR1 is required for a JR2 and it doesn't seem like any JR1's have gone out recently....

If fewer people showed up for an ASW's then the school expected they may adjust their expected yield, thus have more acceptances to offer.

*This doesn't even make much sense to me either, but whatever.*

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:03 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:

I think a bunch of people handed in deferrals at the ASW, so that is one potential reason.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Unitas wrote:*This doesn't even make much sense to me either, but whatever.*

I have no idea why I laughed so hard. I think I'm starting to crack.

traficante

Postby traficante » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 pm

I've participated in recruiting at my grad program, and often ASW is a time for the admissions committee to feel out the likelihood of people attending. This includes gathering information on the students that attend. At least in my program, students (e.g. day or night hosts) and faculty are solicited for information about students and their likelihood of attending, competing offers, etc.

Grad school and law school admissions are different, but I imagine something similar goes on at a law school ASW. Perhaps the info changed, or perhaps JR was waiting to see how things looked at ASW before sending out acceptances.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:19 pm

that means if you already had a JR1 you are in better shape than those of us who haven't ...

I can't even seem to find straws to grasp!

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 am

When does HLS usually "finish up" with decisions? Someone told me in the next week, but someone said the cycle doesn't really "finalize" until May.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:46 am

fidesverita wrote:When does HLS usually "finish up" with decisions? Someone told me in the next week, but someone said the cycle doesn't really "finalize" until May.

They probably finish up with non-holds in the next two weeks, then finish up with holds in the next 2 or 3 weeks.. Seems logical.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am

Unitas wrote:
fidesverita wrote:When does HLS usually "finish up" with decisions? Someone told me in the next week, but someone said the cycle doesn't really "finalize" until May.

They probably finish up with non-holds in the next two weeks, then finish up with holds in the next 2 or 3 weeks.. Seems logical.

waitlist emails pretty much need to go out by april 23rd to give students the time to put down deposits at other schools. looking at previous years it is pretty clear that harvard is courteous enough to inform students of waitlisting at least a week before May 1st deposit deadlines. I think its pretty clear that all held students will hear back from hls in the next two weeks, quite likely this week. the cycle is mostly 'finalized' by the end of may as hls tends to accept and reject a fair number of students off the waitlist in the end of may once they've gotten a good sense of their class. there are of course a number of students kept on the waitlist during june/july and there is usually a trickle of acceptances and rejections over the summer. overall, everyone should at least hear back in the next two weeks and the vast, vast majority of acceptances will be finished by june 1st.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Unitas wrote:

waitlist emails pretty much need to go out by april 23rd to give students the time to put down deposits at other schools. looking at previous years it is pretty clear that harvard is courteous enough to inform students of waitlisting at least a week before May 1st deposit deadlines. I think its pretty clear that all held students will hear back from hls in the next two weeks, quite likely this week. the cycle is mostly 'finalized' by the end of may as hls tends to accept and reject a fair number of students off the waitlist in the end of may once they've gotten a good sense of their class. there are of course a number of students kept on the waitlist during june/july and there is usually a trickle of acceptances and rejections over the summer. overall, everyone should at least hear back in the next two weeks and the vast, vast majority of acceptances will be finished by june 1st.

HLS specifically says that Held applicants need to put down seat deposits if they don't hear from HLS before they are due... They also have not finished with regular applicants showing me they are not ready to finish with held applicants. I may be wrong, and we’ll all hear this week or next, but that seems unlikely. They may even be waiting for some held applicants spring grades, graduation honors, and the such.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 am

Unitas wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
Unitas wrote:

yes, well by definition all regular decisions are made by the deposit deadline at Harvard. also by definition, being on the waitlist means still wating for a decision after the deposit deadline. so no matter what everyone will know if they are admitted, rejected, or waitlisted in about two weeks. In previous years waitlist emails were universally sent out at least a week before the deposit deadline. So we have history suggesting responses coming in the next 1.5 weeks and logical necessity showing that a response (de facto or not) coming in 2.5 weeks.
HLS specifically says that Held applicants need to put down seat deposits if they don't hear from HLS before they are due... They also have not finished with regular applicants showing me they are not ready to finish with held applicants. I may be wrong, and we’ll all hear this week or next, but that seems unlikely. They may even be waiting for some held applicants spring grades, graduation honors, and the such.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:yes, well by definition all regular decisions are made by the deposit deadline at Harvard. also by definition, being on the waitlist means still wating for a decision after the deposit deadline. so no matter what everyone will know if they are admitted, rejected, or waitlisted in about two weeks. In previous years waitlist emails were universally sent out at least a week before the deposit deadline. So we have history suggesting responses coming in the next 1.5 weeks and logical necessity showing that a response (de facto or not) coming in 2.5 weeks.

I would consider hold a decision, albeit not permanent. Previous years from my understanding didn't have these holds and also didn't have JR as dean - so we can't say based on the past what is going to happen.

So you are saying if on hold after the deposit deadline you are automatically WLed? What is this based on, except for by definition? The e-mail reference late spring as the latest to hear on hold, which is the end of June.

You are probably right though, and not sure why I just wouldn't want them to decide on everything now.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 am

Unitas wrote:So you are saying if on hold after the deposit deadline you are automatically WLed? What is this based on, except for by definition? The e-mail reference late spring as the latest to hear on hold, which is the end of June.

He's making a rather weak semantic argument based on his own definitions. We don't know when the last of the "regular" decisions will go out, and I don't know what to make of the hold pool, but JR's email made it pretty clear that if you haven't heard from him in the next couple of weeks that you shouldn't hold out for Harvard.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 am

soonergirl wrote:
Unitas wrote:So you are saying if on hold after the deposit deadline you are automatically WLed? What is this based on, except for by definition? The e-mail reference late spring as the latest to hear on hold, which is the end of June.

He's making a rather weak semantic argument based on his own definitions. We don't know when the last of the "regular" decisions will go out, and I don't know what to make of the hold pool, but JR's email made it pretty clear that if you haven't heard from him in the next couple of weeks that you shouldn't hold out for Harvard.

to what JR email are you referring?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:36 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

The hold email, I believe she is saying "shouldn't hold out for Harvard" because JR said to put down seat deposits if you have deadlines before hearing from them. I agree with her.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:43 am

Unitas wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

The hold email, I believe she is saying "shouldn't hold out for Harvard" because JR said to put down seat deposits if you have deadlines before hearing from them. I agree with her.

Yeah. It says: "We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard?s final decision."

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:47 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:Yeah. It says: "We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard?s final decision."

I thought the question mark was a nice touch...subtly evocative of indecision.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 am

soonergirl wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:Yeah. It says: "We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard?s final decision."

I thought the question mark was a nice touch...subtly evocative of indecision.

I liked the use of the word "may" in putting down a seat deposit. Should be tied in with may want to put down a deposit if you want to go to LS in the fall.

ToriM

Postby ToriM » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 pm

soonergirl wrote:

So, those of us who have neither been 'Held' nor gotten a JR1 should all but give up at this point?

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 pm

So are there any more acceptances coming soon? Or WL is the best right now? :| :?:

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Unitas wrote:I liked the use of the word "may" in putting down a seat deposit. Should be tied in with may want to put down a deposit if you want to go to LS in the fall.

lol. That's exactly how I read it. "It might be in your best interest..."

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

ToriM wrote:So, those of us who have neither been 'Held' nor gotten a JR1 should all but give up at this point?

Did you apply really late?

ToriM

Postby ToriM » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 pm

soonergirl wrote:
ToriM wrote:So, those of us who have neither been 'Held' nor gotten a JR1 should all but give up at this point?

Did you apply really late?

Late-ish. Applied mid-January, only went complete March 4th. :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”