Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bluedolphins
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby bluedolphins » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:09 pm

psychomohel wrote:
The numbers I posted in my profile are equivalent under an isomorphism to my real numbers.


lol. Are you a math major?

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lysis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:21 pm

I had my JR call recently. The interview went super-fast and there were definitely no curveballs. I don't think I said anything disastrous, but I don't have a good feeling about it either. Oh well...

Also, based on the above discussion, I decided I might as well update my profile info. So it is all 100% shared and legit now.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Emma. » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Lysis wrote:I had my JR call recently. The interview went super-fast and there were definitely no curveballs. I don't think I said anything disastrous, but I don't have a good feeling about it either. Oh well...

Also, based on the above discussion, I decided I might as well update my profile info. So it is all 100% shared and legit now.


With those numbers you probably didn't need the strongest interview you have ever given. :wink:

I'm sure as long as you didn't really screw it up you'll be fine!

Congrats and good luck!

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby booby87 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm

.
Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby booby87 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:48 pm

.
Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lysis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks guys! You both look to be in pretty good shape too. :)

I'm trying not to stress about it. Overall, the whole call seemed pretty perfunctory. I'm starting to think my roommate hit the nail on the head when she said they "probably just want to make sure you can string a few sentences together".

jrs12
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby jrs12 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I don't think they even care about your ability to string a few sentences together. I think the point is to have you obsessing over Harvard for weeks on end.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:12 pm

jrs12 wrote:I don't think they even care about your ability to string a few sentences together. I think the point is to have you obsessing over Harvard for weeks on end.


seriously, is it NOT thanksgiving yet?!

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:13 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
jrs12 wrote:I don't think they even care about your ability to string a few sentences together. I think the point is to have you obsessing over Harvard for weeks on end.


seriously, is it NOT thanksgiving yet?!


+1. This is brutal.

danpdunc
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby danpdunc » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:40 pm

I saw someone post this question earlier in the thread, but don't see an answer anywhere so I will attempt to reask it. Does Harvard do phone interviews for those that are located internationally?

User avatar
catwoman
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby catwoman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 pm

danpdunc wrote:I saw someone post this question earlier in the thread, but don't see an answer anywhere so I will attempt to reask it. Does Harvard do phone interviews for those that are located internationally?


I know for a fact that they do...

User avatar
Saya
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:33 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Saya » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:53 pm

catwoman wrote:
danpdunc wrote:I saw someone post this question earlier in the thread, but don't see an answer anywhere so I will attempt to reask it. Does Harvard do phone interviews for those that are located internationally?


I know for a fact that they do...


Nooo, lost another reason to delude myself. D: Looks like that JR1 really isn't coming. This is painful. I almost wish they would just reject me now to end my misery. Almost.

Berryblubear
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Berryblubear » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:21 pm

lz06 wrote:I did. And I can't believe I just wasted $97. sad


I know right? What is the specific break-down of the fee for them. I'm curious.

$1 processing fee
$10 review fee
$85 Harvard Trust Fund fee

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Berryblubear wrote:
lz06 wrote:I did. And I can't believe I just wasted $97. sad


I know right? What is the specific break-down of the fee for them. I'm curious.

$1 processing fee
$10 review fee
$85 Harvard Trust Fund fee


isnt $12 LSAC's???

User avatar
Eigenvalue A
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Eigenvalue A » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Seeing all of your fantastic numbers makes me want to throw up a little. But whatever, good job everyone...! And here's to hoping my app doesn't end up as adcom scratch paper..

emptybee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emptybee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:49 pm

I've searched and there is no satisfactory answer elsewhere in the forum. Does anyone know how the calls fit into the process itself? I.e. are you approved by a smaller number of people, JR1, decided upon by the whole committee, then maybe JR2? I'm just trying to get a handle on how/where the JR1 impacts the decision making process.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

exeunt
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby exeunt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:19 pm

i know committee review comes after the JR1 (according to JR), but not sure how a JR1 is awarded in the first place..

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:40 pm

exeunt wrote:i know committee review comes after the JR1 (according to JR), but not sure how a JR1 is awarded in the first place..


really? so wouldn't that mean something like 7/8 candidates never make it to committee review?

emptybee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emptybee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:06 pm

GargamelITT wrote:really? so wouldn't that mean something like 7/8 candidates never make it to committee review?


That's why I'm saying I think that each app is reviewed by small vetting sub-committees, who decide whether or not to give JR1's, and then once you get the JR1, you're voted on by the whole committee. That may be why JR2's come in two week batches or so, the whole committee meets every two weeks or so to make the final decision on JR1's. So the reason a JR1 might not lead to a JR2 is (a) you bombed the JR1 or (2) there's someone/some people in the second committee that dislike your app, despite the first sub-committee liking it.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:29 pm

emptybee wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:really? so wouldn't that mean something like 7/8 candidates never make it to committee review?


That's why I'm saying I think that each app is reviewed by small vetting sub-committees, who decide whether or not to give JR1's, and then once you get the JR1, you're voted on by the whole committee. That may be why JR2's come in two week batches or so, the whole committee meets every two weeks or so to make the final decision on JR1's. So the reason a JR1 might not lead to a JR2 is (a) you bombed the JR1 or (2) there's someone/some people in the second committee that dislike your app, despite the first sub-committee liking it.


this totally sounds reasonable. I know JR1 said that committee would now view my app, but i mean, it had to have been viewed by SOMEONE pre-JR1, so a pattern akin to this seems quite possible. I know TS in the past used to 'say' that he found x app interesting, pulled it out, and decided it warranted a TS1, but that is somewhat of a rumor and a TS thing anyways.

picaresco
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby picaresco » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:14 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
emptybee wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:really? so wouldn't that mean something like 7/8 candidates never make it to committee review?


That's why I'm saying I think that each app is reviewed by small vetting sub-committees, who decide whether or not to give JR1's, and then once you get the JR1, you're voted on by the whole committee. That may be why JR2's come in two week batches or so, the whole committee meets every two weeks or so to make the final decision on JR1's. So the reason a JR1 might not lead to a JR2 is (a) you bombed the JR1 or (2) there's someone/some people in the second committee that dislike your app, despite the first sub-committee liking it.


this totally sounds reasonable. I know JR1 said that committee would now view my app, but i mean, it had to have been viewed by SOMEONE pre-JR1, so a pattern akin to this seems quite possible. I know TS in the past used to 'say' that he found x app interesting, pulled it out, and decided it warranted a TS1, but that is somewhat of a rumor and a TS thing anyways.


I think the pre-screen committee is either the same committee that does general review or a small subset that still sits on the general committee. When I talked to him, he said: "From here, your file goes back to committee," which implies that it's been to committee. I could be misremembering, though.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:32 pm

picaresco wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
emptybee wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:really? so wouldn't that mean something like 7/8 candidates never make it to committee review?


That's why I'm saying I think that each app is reviewed by small vetting sub-committees, who decide whether or not to give JR1's, and then once you get the JR1, you're voted on by the whole committee. That may be why JR2's come in two week batches or so, the whole committee meets every two weeks or so to make the final decision on JR1's. So the reason a JR1 might not lead to a JR2 is (a) you bombed the JR1 or (2) there's someone/some people in the second committee that dislike your app, despite the first sub-committee liking it.


this totally sounds reasonable. I know JR1 said that committee would now view my app, but i mean, it had to have been viewed by SOMEONE pre-JR1, so a pattern akin to this seems quite possible. I know TS in the past used to 'say' that he found x app interesting, pulled it out, and decided it warranted a TS1, but that is somewhat of a rumor and a TS thing anyways.


I think the pre-screen committee is either the same committee that does general review or a small subset that still sits on the general committee. When I talked to him, he said: "From here, your file goes back to committee," which implies that it's been to committee. I could be misremembering, though.


let me reiterate...dammit! why didnt i record our phone interview!!! haha jk :P

User avatar
letsgojayhawks
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I've read through the postings here a couple times, but I can't seem to figure out any pattern to the JR1s. There's no "every Monday" or "every other week" pattern that I can detect. It's pretty obvious that they're taking all the high GPAs first, but thats all I've gotten. Anyone else with similar/different conclusions?

emptybee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emptybee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:59 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:I've read through the postings here a couple times, but I can't seem to figure out any pattern to the JR1s. There's no "every Monday" or "every other week" pattern that I can detect. It's pretty obvious that they're taking all the high GPAs first, but thats all I've gotten. Anyone else with similar/different conclusions?


Are you talking about patterns of JR1's going out?

User avatar
letsgojayhawks
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:07 pm

emptybee wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:I've read through the postings here a couple times, but I can't seem to figure out any pattern to the JR1s. There's no "every Monday" or "every other week" pattern that I can detect. It's pretty obvious that they're taking all the high GPAs first, but thats all I've gotten. Anyone else with similar/different conclusions?


Are you talking about patterns of JR1's going out?


Yes. I'm talking about the emails inviting applicants for a JR1.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, whodareswins and 20 guests