Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcm814

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby mcm814 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am

There was an admit yesterday on LSN, but I think just one?

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:38 am

Is the fact they haven't expanded the class in the last 50 years sufficient evidence that they will not in the next couple years?

When's the last time the law school had a building project of this scale?

I think once complete we may see the class size tip over the 600 mark.

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 am

Lysis wrote:At the last ASW, Dean Minow said it was slated to open "in 2013", which I thought was a bit disappointing for those of us applying this cycle.

minow misspoke. she corrected herself later, at the lunch with faculty members, i think.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
Lysis wrote:At the last ASW, Dean Minow said it was slated to open "in 2013", which I thought was a bit disappointing for those of us applying this cycle.

minow misspoke. she corrected herself later, at the lunch with faculty members, i think.

Thanks! That's great to know.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 am

clyde_barrow wrote:

+1, I was there too. She did correct the estimate to 2011.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder if there is a soft quota at H for NT applicants and if we are trying to get the same seat. In the OAS (Old Ass Section).

exactly. Peter's totally right that they're holistic. They've got a hole in their class reserved for one little old lady and one little old man.

Adameus already took the one Computer Science seat, so now I am left to fight for the old man seat. I am older than PN so I should have a better chance :wink:

r6 I also have a business degree so lets just say I took one of the 100 business seats and the com sci seat is still open for you.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

adamoose wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I wonder if there is a soft quota at H for NT applicants and if we are trying to get the same seat. In the OAS (Old Ass Section).

exactly. Peter's totally right that they're holistic. They've got a hole in their class reserved for one little old lady and one little old man.

Adameus already took the one Computer Science seat, so now I am left to fight for the old man seat. I am older than PN so I should have a better chance :wink:

r6 I also have a business degree so lets just say I took one of the 100 business seats and the com sci seat is still open for you.

So is there still an EE spot?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement! My professor who wrote one of the LORs ask me about Harvard all the time. He really admires Prof. Zittrain. He wants me to fill that comp sci seat :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 pm

weee wrote:So is there still an EE spot?

I would think there are more EE spots than CS spots. EE is the hottest IP major right? I almost thought about doing CE for a MS but the schools around me either don't have it or are too expensive.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I would think there are more EE spots than CS spots. EE is the hottest IP major right? I almost thought about doing CE for a MS but the schools around me either don't have it or are too expensive.

Well, my best hope is that there's more EE spots allocated than EE applicants, or if Harvard could be excessively impressed by my work experience, I would really appreciate that as well, pick me Harvard, you won't regret it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

weee wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Well, my best hope is that there's more EE spots allocated than EE applicants, or if Harvard could be excessively impressed by my work experience, I would really appreciate that as well, pick me Harvard, you won't regret it.

Apparently everyone that's left have impressive WE, so maybe we are fighting over the WE spot? :shock: :twisted:

Wouldn't it be something if they really rely on a soft quota? And if that's true wouldn't it make sense to apply earlier, to be the first qualified candidate they review? Hmmm maybe they do...

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Application complete 2/9/2010 with no application status updates since then. Is it fathomable that they just haven't reviewed my application fully at this time? Am I perhaps de facto waitlisted until they have a better idea of who is going to commit? Is it even possible, nevermind likely, that somebody would be accepted this late.

My numbers: 3.65 gpa at weak undergrad, 174 lsat on a retake, 23 years old, over 5 years of work experience (often worked two jobs while in school), heavy volunteer, heavy campus leadership, speak Arabic, collegiate athlete... basically good numbers, weak undergrad, nice softs. What do you all think? Thanks a bunch! (please note, I am going to post this same message for a couple other schools I haven't heard from yet, same situation... haha)

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Application complete 2/9/2010 with no application status updates since then. Is it fathomable that they just haven't reviewed my application fully at this time? Am I perhaps de facto waitlisted until they have a better idea of who is going to commit? Is it even possible, nevermind likely, that somebody would be accepted this late.

My numbers: 3.65 gpa at weak undergrad, 174 lsat on a retake, 23 years old, over 5 years of work experience (often worked two jobs while in school), heavy volunteer, heavy campus leadership, speak Arabic, collegiate athlete... basically good numbers, weak undergrad, nice softs. What do you all think? Thanks a bunch! (please note, I am going to post this same message for a couple other schools I haven't heard from yet, same situation... haha)

I think you should be receiving your 'hold' email any day now.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:59 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:I think you should be receiving your 'hold' email any day now.

But is he not even listed as UR yet? Can you go hold without going UR first?

Bobushka, if you applied that late and your status hasn't gone UR yet, I'd say that you're correct when you suggest that "they just haven't reviewed the application at this time." Did you tell them why you want to go to Harvard?

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 pm

soonergirl wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:I think you should be receiving your 'hold' email any day now.

But is he not even listed as UR yet? Can you go hold without going UR first?

Bobushka, if you applied that late and your status hasn't gone UR yet, I'd say that you're correct when you suggest that "they just haven't reviewed the application at this time." Did you tell them why you want to go to Harvard?

RC fail on my part. My comment assumes that he received a 'complete' email, in which case his file would have been UR.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:06 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:RC fail on my part. My comment assumes that he received a 'complete' email, in which case his file would have been UR.

okay. I didn't know if you automatically went UR once you went complete.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:07 pm

soonergirl wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:RC fail on my part. My comment assumes that he received a 'complete' email, in which case his file would have been UR.

I think complete comes after UR...weird right? I remember getting my complete email a week or two after my status checker showed UR.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 pm

blue5385 wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

I think complete comes after UR...weird right? I remember getting my complete email a week or two after my status checker showed UR.

Mine was opposite. Maybe your app was so strong that they just couldn't wait to review it. :mrgreen:

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

soonergirl wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Mine was opposite. Maybe your app was so strong that they just couldn't wait to review it. :mrgreen:

haha, and then held me because they couldn't believe someone as amazing as me would actually deign to apply to their school & wanted to make sure I was for real first :wink:

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Yes, I only received a complete e-mail and it only says complete, not under committee review. Will it change to under review or under committee review before a decision is rendered? Are there instances where it is reviewed, but the status checker just isn't updated to reflect such. And yes, I didn't get my application out to Harvard until a week into January because I just didn't have the money to apply to every school that I would like to go to so I applied the funds to the top-10 from Columbia down and a couple super safeties besides that. In hindsight, this was foolish of me. Anyhow, I did tell them why I wanted to attend Harvard and also provided them with an email update two weeks ago on my academics and such. Any input gentle TLS brethren (and sistren... <--- not really a word)?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:Yes, I only received a complete e-mail and it only says complete, not under committee review. Will it change to under review or under committee review before a decision is rendered? Are there instances where it is reviewed, but the status checker just isn't updated to reflect such. And yes, I didn't get my application out to Harvard until a week into January because I just didn't have the money to apply to every school that I would like to go to so I applied the funds to the top-10 from Columbia down and a couple super safeties besides that. In hindsight, this was foolish of me. Anyhow, I did tell them why I wanted to attend Harvard and also provided them with an email update two weeks ago on my academics and such. Any input gentle TLS brethren (and sistren... <--- not really a word)?

My complete email didn't say I was under review -- I looked at my status checker separately and it had shown UR a few days before I received that email. I think if your application had been accessed by an adcomm the status checker would automatically have updated to show an UR date, so you must not have gone UR yet (that's how the system works, right?).

It doesn't really bode well for the time frame in which we held ppl will be getting our decisions if there are still people who haven't gone UR at all. :?

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:24 pm

I am an idiot... my application is under review 2/19.... =C -10 points from my LSAT score for that one. Bye bye Harvard, bye bye!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:26 pm

soonergirl wrote:

My status went from "Received" directly to "Under Review". I did not receive a "Complete" email.

I remember from reading backwards that many people go the complete email AFTER they receive the JR1 email.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

My status went from "Received" directly to "Under Review". I did not receive a "Complete" email.

My application actually went complete on 2/9/2010 with an e-mail. Then on the application status check it changed to under review on 2/19/2010 (with no corresponding e-mail). This was solely my experience. =D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Bobushka22 wrote:My application actually went complete on 2/9/2010 with an e-mail. Then on the application status check it changed to under review on 2/19/2010 (with no corresponding e-mail). This was solely my experience. =D

In your status checker, does it indicate that you received a complete email? All I have is application acknowledgment.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”