Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 pm

I can understand people who are number driven though. People are proud of their accomplishments. If your best accomplishment is to score a 180 and have a 4.0, by all means flaunt it. However I wouldn't go around telling everyone because you have a low LSAT you will not get in. On the flip side, I don't really think that you or anyone else should go and say "good softs will get you in". There are too many factors in the admission process that we know nothing about.

LSAT has to be indictive of one's aptitude somewhat. To what degree is to be debated, because all standarized tests are biased somewhat. A low score need not to preclude anyone from be able to achieve. There are other parts of your candidacy that can overcome that deficiency. However we don't know how schools decide on candidates. As a matter of fact, we don't even know if seats are given out under a consistent policy, or some sort of seat by seat policy. That's why I made fun of the old/NT seat. They have an idea of diversity they want to achieve, and maybe we are all segmented into seperate pools they can choose from. Remember they used to have racial quotas which was struck down because race is a suspected classification, but age, major, WE, background are not. They can absolutely have a soft quota based on categories. Maybe that's the "holistic" process.

Now if there is any truth in that, then maybe one should not give up if you don't get in this year, because the quota and the class make up and the pools will be different next year.

I just want to be lucky enough that there is still a seat left for me - a seat they plan to fill by someone with my attributes.

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:Now if there is any truth in that, then maybe one should not give up if you don't get in this year, because the quota and the class make up and the pools will be different next year.


Absolutely. Plus then you wouldn't be graduating in 13. That can't be lucky.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Peter North's posts are very sloppily written, with many typos, spelling mistakes, and simple grammatical errors. And so many of the things he says make me want to reply angrily before I remind myself that he's a troll and probably, hopefully isn't actually real. All this in two threads that realistically may be read by the people who would have to take a tremendous, gigantic leap of faith in order to admit him.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:42 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Ditto here. I'm five years out of undergrad, and I'm switching to law from finance. I came into this cycle T6 or bust, and even then, I didn't apply to Yale or Stanford because of their locations. Any school that I applied to outside of the T6 I did so because of a fee waiver. We old folk are a picky breed, it seems.


lol or maybe we "want what we want".

If you are T6 or bust why did you apply to outside of T14 ;) so you will not take the NU and the $$$? I didn't want to tempt myself with anything below T14, although I did apply to WM on a coin flip (WL though). I am tempted to keep trying for HYS until I realistically can't get in (what's that? how can you tell?). I didn't apply to Stanford, Chicago and Berk because they didn't want my Feb score. Hopefully I won't have to! :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:43 pm

soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Now if there is any truth in that, then maybe one should not give up if you don't get in this year, because the quota and the class make up and the pools will be different next year.


Absolutely. Plus then you wouldn't be graduating in 13. That can't be lucky.


That's my number though, I was getting all excited about being the class of 13. Maybe there is still hope yet!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:49 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Peter North's posts are very sloppily written, with many typos, spelling mistakes, and simple grammatical errors. And so many of the things he says make me want to reply angrily before I remind myself that he's a troll and probably, hopefully isn't actually real. All this in two threads that realistically may be read by the people who would have to take a tremendous, gigantic leap of faith in order to admit him.


I know inland Chinese students who score 175+ but can't probably get direction in NYC in English. Don't mistake writing ability on an Internet forum with anything but bad writing on an Internet forum. There is a time and place for everything... if anyone judged my academic abilities by my appearance, the way I speak, or things I am interested, they would be sadly mistaken. You have no idea how his application actually looks, you have no idea how much of a leap someone would have to make to admit anyone. To imply that you do is to imply you know how or why someone gets admitted, which I know to be false.

Edited to fix quote tags.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Peter North's posts are very sloppily written, with many typos, spelling mistakes, and simple grammatical errors. And so many of the things he says make me want to reply angrily before I remind myself that he's a troll and probably, hopefully isn't actually real. All this in two threads that realistically may be read by the people who would have to take a tremendous, gigantic leap of faith in order to admit him.


I know inland Chinese students who score 175+ but can't probably get direction in NYC in English. Don't mistake writing ability on an Internet forum with anything but bad writing on an Internet forum. There is a time and place for everything... if anyone judged my academic abilities by my appearance, the way I speak, or things I am interested, they would be sadly mistaken. You have no idea how his application actually looks, you have no idea how much of a leap someone would have to make to admit anyone. To imply that you do is to imply you know how or why someone gets admitted, which I know to be false.

Edited to fix quote tags.


I was just quoting somebody, in a trolling mood, and mainly referring to the bolded part.

But seriously, somebody who has so clearly identified himself with LSAT, resume, and work experience while also making sexist posts, disseminating wrong information, strange rants, and otherwise posting things that just don't give off a professional air is either:

1) Completely lying, and thus worthy of being treated in a non-serious manner.

or

2) Beyond normal comprehension, and again worthy of being treated in a non-serious manner

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 pm

lol I think everyone is taking everyone else too seriously. This is a social forum, it feels like chatting at the bar for me. Add a little beer and booze, you don't really take anyone seriously while having a laugh all the same.

When I ask serious questions I guess my expectation for a serious answer rises a bit, but in a thread like this where neurotic people waiting on decisions that may not come for months ... well I can't take him anymore seriously than I take the next guy.

Also most of his trolling posts were posted in the social sections as well, don't take that persona to be the same one here because here is an applicant, there he is a clown.

I guess I have been around on Internet forums too much. I started posting/running these things when most of you are in grade school... I have seen/dealt with/been a troll. It is just all sh$ts and giggles now :) until it gets serious!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 pm

soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You don't look a day over 18 ;)


yeah, I admit I'm lucky to look so young, but for some reason people tend to say I lack depth.


BTW I have been thinking about a witty reply for a few hours now. It ain't coming. I guess I am not that witty!

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You don't look a day over 18 ;)


yeah, I admit I'm lucky to look so young, but for some reason people tend to say I lack depth.


BTW I have been thinking about a witty reply for a few hours now. It ain't coming. I guess I am not that witty!


"really? you seem pretty animated to me!"

(It's a stretch, but best I can do.)

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 am

r6_philly wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Peter North's posts are very sloppily written, with many typos, spelling mistakes, and simple grammatical errors. And so many of the things he says make me want to reply angrily before I remind myself that he's a troll and probably, hopefully isn't actually real. All this in two threads that realistically may be read by the people who would have to take a tremendous, gigantic leap of faith in order to admit him.


I know inland Chinese students who score 175+ but can't probably get direction in NYC in English. Don't mistake writing ability on an Internet forum with anything but bad writing on an Internet forum. There is a time and place for everything... if anyone judged my academic abilities by my appearance, the way I speak, or things I am interested, they would be sadly mistaken. You have no idea how his application actually looks, you have no idea how much of a leap someone would have to make to admit anyone. To imply that you do is to imply you know how or why someone gets admitted, which I know to be false.

Edited to fix quote tags.


First, if he were going into physics that would be one thing, but he's applying to go to the best law schools in the country, schools that prepare you to be a lawyer, a profession where writing is crucial. You can not afford to be a sloppy writer when you're a lawyer. And he's not just making minor typos, his posts are actually very difficult to read. Yours can be hard to read too, but I get the impression that you're an international applicant, and you're certainly not a troll.

Second, his posts are ridiculous. For months he's been saying and asking really annoying things. I wasn't only talking about his writing ability, I was also talking about the insane stuff he says that makes your brain want to explode.

Third, the "huge leap of faith" I mentioned was mainly referring to his numbers. Indeed, it would be a huge leap of faith for Harvard or Yale to make him one of their few admits with numbers that are far below even their 25th percentiles (although I don't remember his UGPA). The only way these schools can admit somebody like that is if the person is absolutely amazing in other respects. That's why it would be a huge leap of faith, and his absurd, frustrating, and hard-to-read posts absolutely reflect badly on him when he really needs to have everything going for him to get admitted to these schools.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby $1.99 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:07 am

he is probably laughing his ass off watching you guys throw a ruckus over his trolling lol i learned a long time ago to mentally block out his comments unless it was to get a decent laugh

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:First, if he were going into physics that would be one thing, but he's applying to go to the best law schools in the country, schools that prepare you to be a lawyer, a profession where writing is crucial. You can not afford to be a sloppy writer when you're a lawyer. And he's not just making minor typos, his posts are actually very difficult to read. Yours can be hard to read too, but I get the impression that you're an international applicant, and you're certainly not a troll.

Second, his posts are ridiculous. For months he's been saying and asking really annoying things. I wasn't only talking about his writing ability, I was also talking about the insane stuff he says that makes your brain want to explode.

Third, the "huge leap of faith" I mentioned was mainly referring to his numbers. Indeed, it would be a huge leap of faith for Harvard or Yale to make him one of their few admits with numbers that are far below even their 25th percentiles (although I don't remember his UGPA). The only way these schools can admit somebody like that is if the person is absolutely amazing in other respects. That's why it would be a huge leap of faith, and his absurd, frustrating, and hard-to-read posts absolutely reflect badly on him when he really needs to have everything going for him to get admitted to these schools.


As I said above, I think people take things too seriously on here. So I will try not to make it so seriously.

BTW I am not an international student. English is my second language and I wasn't a LA major. Getting your point across is not the same as writing error free English. There are many lawyers and judges who excel at what they do without reaching the proficiency that you think is necessary.

1. Not everyone writes well on first draft. This is a Internet forum, it doesn't have to be representative of our writing skills. If I need to write a paper, I will proof read many times because I know my writing needs to be proof read more than usual. I don't do that for forum postings. I can't expected anyone to. Grammar police on forums are just stupid. This is informal communication, if you understand the meaning, the goal of the vehicle has been satisfied. Like I said, there is a time and place for everything. When I am at home, I talk in slangs. When I text on my phone, I use txt codes. When I type on the forum, I don't take the time to double check.

2. You don't know his numbers. You only think you know his numbers because he said so in his posts. If you think he is an obvious troll and shouldn't be trusted, then don't believe in his numbers. Either take him seriously or not. As a whole. Don't quote his stats to attack him with if you don't believe him in the first place... Don't attack the credibility of your witness then use him to build your case ;)

3. You don't know any truth about the admission status. Unless you are a staff at one of the forementioned school, all your knowledge about the admission process has been through self-assessment and learning on this forum. Your guess is as good as anyone else's. You just simply can't claim that it is a huge leap of faith... actually you can't make ANY claims as to his chances of admission absent some REAL knowledge about the admission process. Yes it does seem unlikely, but using an educated or whatever guess to attack his chances is still akin to a blind person telling a blind person when to cross the street.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Second, his posts are ridiculous. For months he's been saying and asking really annoying things. I wasn't only talking about his writing ability, I was also talking about the insane stuff he says that makes your brain want to explode.


If some of his posts don't make you think, your mind is too rigid. When law schools talk about the ability to see multiple perspectives ... well lets just say people with that ability will never say something like "that makes your brain want to explode". :wink:

User avatar
iceskater1620
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby iceskater1620 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 am

What if Peter North was secretly the Dean of Admissions at Harvard?

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 am

$1.99 wrote:he is probably laughing his ass off watching you guys throw a ruckus over his trolling lol i learned a long time ago to mentally block out his comments unless it was to get a decent laugh


That's the thing, I wasn't going to reply, but then other people started talking about it. Anyway it feels pretty good to type that stuff so he's not hurting me.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 am

iceskater1620 wrote:What if Peter North was secretly the Dean of Admissions at Harvard?


Gee if that's the case I'd be in by now... :lol:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
$1.99 wrote:he is probably laughing his ass off watching you guys throw a ruckus over his trolling lol i learned a long time ago to mentally block out his comments unless it was to get a decent laugh


That's the thing, I wasn't going to reply, but then other people started talking about it. Anyway it feels pretty good to type that stuff so he's not hurting me.


You get "hurt" on a forum? How old are you? (maybe I should stop... you start to sound like the kind of kids who get Internet bullied :roll: )

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:54 am

Alright lets get this back on track. Harvard is amazing. In other news, the new Northwest corner building is going to be sweet:

Harvard Law School’s Northwest Corner building project—which will significantly expand space available for both academic and student activities—is under budget and ahead of schedule, slated for completion in December 2011, Law School administrators said.


--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:58 am

Does that mean Harvard's class size is going to be even bigger in 2 years?

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 am

r6_philly wrote:Does that mean Harvard's class size is going to be even bigger in 2 years?


No way. Harvard's kept its size for over fifty years, it will likely not go up for decades. Here are the reasons given by Kagan for the new building:
Why do universities keep expanding when they keep telling us they aren't going to add more students? Kagan gives several reasons. One, the desire for smaller, more interactive classrooms, and therefore more of them, instead of the old big lecture halls. Two, the desire for a lower teacher-student ratio and therefore more teachers. Three, the desire to bring scattered functions back into the school, such as student publications and the student pro bono clinic (now in Jamaica Plain). Four, an ever-growing menu of speakers, symposiums, and research projects. Five, the desire to improve the quality of student cultural and social life, in the hope of keeping students hanging around the school at all hours instead of disappearing into their homes.


The functions are many: classrooms, seminar and conference rooms, offices for student publications, large meeting and social spaces, a branch of the Harvard Coop, all kinds of student services, dining and leisure facilities, pro bono clinics, underground parking for 698 cars, and more. At one end, Northwest links up with and more or less absorbs Harkness Commons, the student center designed by Gropius and his firm in 1952.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 am

Cool, nice to know. One of the things I didn't like was the teacher/student ratio. If they get more faculty and add smaller classes I think I would like it much more. I like small, interactive environments.

In unrelated news, someone on LSN turned down H for a Hamilton tonight... Maybe now room for 3 old geezers? :lol:

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:24 am

I wonder if the blog is going to get any more activity from admissions people? Probably good that they are focusing on apps, but a broad update on holds and progress would be great.... Maybe after they get done with the initial review of all applicants.

Did the person who got a JR1 last Friday get a JR2? Is it odd that I hope he did, and congrats if so. Not sure if there was a post in all the North stuff yesterday... Weird conversation to read now that one party is gone...

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 am

r6_philly wrote:Cool, nice to know. One of the things I didn't like was the teacher/student ratio. If they get more faculty and add smaller classes I think I would like it much more. I like small, interactive environments.

In unrelated news, someone on LSN turned down H for a Hamilton tonight... Maybe now room for 3 old geezers? :lol:


I'll take it.

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lysis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 am

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Alright lets get this back on track. Harvard is amazing. In other news, the new Northwest corner building is going to be sweet:

Harvard Law School’s Northwest Corner building project—which will significantly expand space available for both academic and student activities—is under budget and ahead of schedule, slated for completion in December 2011, Law School administrators said.


--ImageRemoved--


How recent was this quote? At the last ASW, Dean Minow said it was slated to open "in 2013", which I thought was a bit disappointing for those of us applying this cycle.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beluckycrimson and 8 guests