Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
soonergirl

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:09 pm

adameus wrote:just because you worked in the past I don't think it means it will make you a better or more successful lawyer than a person who hasn't. I think there is a good chance that a person headed to law school with a few years work experience feels like they aren't headed where they want with their current career and thus decides to go to law school. If a person is very sucessful and has a great career then it's unlikely they will be headed back to school...

my goodness I am so slow. I only just now got your user name. lol. Guess it's a good thing word games aren't on the LSAT.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm

soonergirl wrote:
mcm814 wrote:How old/how many years out of school are we talking when you say "older"?

5+, but especially once you get to 7-10+.

You don't look a day over 18 ;)

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:Then it is your job to show it. Most applicants are straight out of UG or took a break without pursuing a serious career, so it doesn't make sense to weigh the WE more for most. In our cases where we had significant careers, it is important for us to present it as such so they will understand our abilities. It is absolutely achievable to present your success as a worker in whatever career you chose. It is the same as a professional resume, it needs to show upward movement. It needs to show that you took on more responsibilities over time and your achievements/recognition have increased over time as well.

totally agree. And your statement should make it clear why law school is the next logical step.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:You don't look a day over 18 ;)

yeah, I admit I'm lucky to look so young, but for some reason people tend to say I lack depth.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:20 pm

soonergirl wrote:
adameus wrote:just because you worked in the past I don't think it means it will make you a better or more successful lawyer than a person who hasn't. I think there is a good chance that a person headed to law school with a few years work experience feels like they aren't headed where they want with their current career and thus decides to go to law school. If a person is very sucessful and has a great career then it's unlikely they will be headed back to school...

my goodness I am so slow. I only just now got your user name. lol. Guess it's a good thing word games aren't on the LSAT.

I'm not sure I get my user name... I didn't know there is anything to get about it? I'm interested to know what you got :) Feel free to PM.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 pm

adameus wrote:I'm not sure I get my user name... I didn't know there is anything to get about it? I'm interested to know what you got :) Feel free to PM.

lol. even better! See, Harvard?? I'm a genius! I find something where there's nothing! I create order out of chaos! Plus I'm super duper witty! pick me!

(I thought the username was a play on Amadeus, btw.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:30 pm

soonergirl wrote:(I thought the username was a play on Amadeus, btw.)

I thought of that when I first saw it, but then I knew I just misread it. I guess I am not as witty.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

soonergirl wrote:
adameus wrote:I'm not sure I get my user name... I didn't know there is anything to get about it? I'm interested to know what you got :) Feel free to PM.

lol. even better! See, Harvard?? I'm a genius! I find something where there's nothing! I create order out of chaos! Plus I'm super duper witty! pick me!

wow! you are witty. I love the link to the post 2 above! I can see how you would think that about my name. But in reality its just a silly attempt to turn my actual name (Adam) into something that sounds like a Greek god. Adameus - the god of Law School Admissions.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
soonergirl wrote:(I thought the username was a play on Amadeus, btw.)

I thought of that when I first saw it, but then I knew I just misread it. I guess I am not as witty.

well, to be fair, the witty part was a reference to my joke about the avatar, and you pitched me the set up for the joke, so how bout we split it 50/50? (My joke wasn't really very funny, anyway, but we can pretend.)

weee

Postby weee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm

adameus wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

wow! you are witty. I love the link to the post 2 above! I can see how you would think that about my name. But in reality its just a silly attempt to turn my actual name (Adam) into something that sounds like a Greek god. Adameus - the god of Law School Admissions.

I'm pretty disappointed that the play on Amadeus isn't the case, I thought it was a pretty cool nickname, not that it's not cool but now I will read it to rhyme with Zeus instead of Amadeus

soonergirl

on parentheses, excessive use of:

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:42 pm

adameus wrote:wow! you are witty. I love the link to the post 2 above! I can see how you would think that about my name. But in reality its just a silly attempt to turn my actual name (Adam) into something that sounds like a Greek god. Adameus - the god of Law School Admissions.

I caught the adam part. But here I thought JR was the god of admissions (hallowed be his name! (unless that's sacrilegious, in which case no hallowing)).

weee wrote:I'm pretty disappointed that the play on Amadeus isn't the case.

Me too! I vote we change it. Either way, I'm still holding it against adam that I'll have adameus-adameus stuck in my head the rest of the day. (You guys are too young to remember Falco, but you can google it (or wiki it or tweet it or whatever it is you youngsters do these days).)

leftofthedial

Postby leftofthedial » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Didn't Falco die on some Caribbean island or something?

EDIT: Dominican Republic. The grave in Vienna is impressive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falco_%28musician%29#Death
Last edited by leftofthedial on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:45 pm

leftofthedial wrote:Didn't Falco die on some Caribbean island or something?

I thought he flew away at the end of The Neverending Story.

weee

Postby weee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Be confident Atreyu!

Also, can I just get my ding or w/e already?

eattrucks

Postby eattrucks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:25 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Sorry, that's Falkor. (I'm nerdy enough to have read the book)

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:32 pm

weee wrote:
adameus wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

I'm pretty disappointed that the play on Amadeus isn't the case, I thought it was a pretty cool nickname, not that it's not cool but now I will read it to rhyme with Zeus instead of Amadeus

It is pronounced Adam-eh-us (not Adam-oose).

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
lt0826 wrote:Applied mid-Jan, went into review 2/24 - no hold or word of any sort since then. I am amazed I didn't get automatically dinged, so if they are seriously considering me at all I am thrilled and a believer that they really do look at softs.

I'm in the same boat, although you've got slightly better numbers than I do.

I was expecting a quick ding, and now I'm wondering if they're just flooded with applications, or if they like my softs.

If I somehow make it on the waitlist, I'm totally going to have a bag packed in the corner until the first week of classes in-case I get a last-minute magic phone call.

I'm in the same LSAT range as you two with a somewhat higher GPA, also UR 2/24, and the pessimist in me wonders if the folks in this batch are destined to be victims of a mid-April slaughter.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Peter North wrote:My full-time work experience is about 8 plus solid years at a NASDAQ listed Fortune 500 (ie. after undergrad) and 3 years of sporadic work experience (ie. 3 consecutive summers at a prestigious NY/Wall Street investment bank of the Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley/JP Morgan caliber). I have stated that in my addendums. Also keep in mind that HLS' JR himself comes from a consulting background (ie. a prestigious top 5 firm).

No, not, another, consultant, applying to HYS, as we have, already too many...

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Peter North wrote:My full-time work experience is about 8 plus solid years at a NASDAQ listed Fortune 500 (ie. after undergrad) and 3 years of sporadic work experience (ie. 3 consecutive summers at a prestigious NY/Wall Street investment bank of the Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley/JP Morgan caliber). I have stated that in my addendums. Also keep in mind that HLS' JR himself comes from a consulting background (ie. a prestigious top 5 firm).

Myself being a consultant, I think it's the most overused job title currently out there.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 pm

clintonius wrote:I'm in the same LSAT range as you two with a somewhat higher GPA, also UR 2/24, and the pessimist in me wonders if the folks in this batch are destined to be victims of a mid-April slaughter.

the words blood and bath come to mind.

Actually, I keep wondering if this is what it felt like to be on the Titanic. I don't hear the band striking up Nearer My God to Thee, though, so we should have a while yet.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:48 pm

adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Myself being a consultant, I think it's the most overused job title currently out there.

I am a consultant as well BTW (experiences from F100 to start-ups), just in the IT world rather than the financial world. It's just funny.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Will he, as a non-consultant but a semi-banker, and top 3 MBA acceptance, which displays his prestigious experience, overcome his weaknesses, namely that of a subpar LSAT and a penchant for trolling, and make it into HLS?

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

fwiw, I am not a consultant.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Will he, as a non-consultant but a semi-banker, and top 3 MBA acceptance, which displays his prestigious experience, overcome his weaknesses, namely that of a subpar LSAT and a penchant for trolling, and make it into HLS?

stop it! we're already suffering a suspense overload in here.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Peter North wrote:Of course, anything can happen. This is also JR's first-term as Dean...

This is also, by most accounts, the most competitive applicant pool in the history of law school admissions. Honestly, assuming you're not just some fictitious internet persona invented for strictly rhetorical purposes, if you're admitted with those numbers in this economy you'll inspire reachers for generations.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”