Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legalnoeagle

Re: Not YLS 2010!

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:42 pm

BarbaraGordon wrote:
Peter North wrote:Ok, guys. The word from the HLS admissions office is... that the vast majority of rejections have already been sent out.

So if you still haven't been dinged and are awaiting to hear from HLS, there is a strong likelihood that you will get an acceptance.

Careful, Peter. Harvard keeps an eye on these threads, and you're likely to disqualify yourself from consideration with this kind of logic.

For one thing, you undermine your own credibility by suggesting that Harvard used the phrase "vast majority." But moreover, surely you realize that your second statement doesn't follow from your first? The fact that the majority of rejections has been dispensed hardly implies that the majority of remaining applicants will be accepted. In fact, if the pool is small enough, y'all could all be axed tomorrow and the original statement would still hold true.

As far as the hold pool goes, the truth is that it's never a good sign to be informed that you're being "held." Candidates are held primarily to see if they're needed for the waitlist. In general, no more than a handful will receive acceptances, some will be waitlisted, and many will be rejected. And if historical data and the competitiveness of this year's cycle are any indication, even the waitlisted candidates aren't likely to be offered admission.

I hate to sound harsh, but I also hate for your insufferable and frankly unwarranted case of knowitallism to continue to mislead some of these applicants.

cheers!

bg

BUT JOSH SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY APPLICATION!!!!! :cry:

BarbaraGordon

Postby BarbaraGordon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:who cares! it's an anti-troll!

We have a winner. I just wanted to call Peter out on his poor logic and factual misrepresentation. I have watched these threads a long time and it's been fascinating to see PN go from "where do I find LSAT study materials" to some kind of would-be admissions expert in a matter of three months.

oh, and a torrent of curses upon nightrunner for spoiling my secret identity. ImageImageImage

BarbaraGordon

Postby BarbaraGordon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Peter North wrote:
BarbaraGordon wrote:We have a winner. I just wanted to call Peter out on his poor logic and factual misrepresentation. I have watched these threads a long time and it's been fascinating to see PN go from "where do I find LSAT study materials" to some kind of would-be admissions expert in a matter of three months.

On the contrary, I've done my due diligence on HLS/YLS rather well. I have yet to see anyone convincingly refute anything I have said to date.

The problem is, Peter, that you're either misunderstanding the info coming from the Harvard office, or deliberately misleading others. I'm not sure which one makes you happier. But the truth is that while Harvard will admit that "the majority" of rejections has been distributed, the office will also be quick to tell you that "the majority" of admissions has, too. Argue all you want, but you simply shouldn't be going around telling applicants that they're a virtual lock for either a waitlist or an admission.

Sogui

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Dignan wrote:
Sogui wrote:Under review- 1/24 Complete- Early February

Held- Today

I'm almost surprised at how little of a reaction I'm having to this.

Given all the uncertainty regarding the "silence" from Harvard, and my fading confidence I pretty much felt like this was an inevitability.

I'm sorry, Sogui. I was rooting for you to get in.

On the bright side, I think that CLS will be just as good for you given your career goals. (And it doesn't hurt that they threw some money your way.)

Yea CLS was my goal and reach going into this cycle before I surprised myself on the LSAT, and I'm extremely grateful to have gotten in with some money.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Peter North wrote:Actually, I agree with you there. You are right. It was some poor wording on my part. (I have corrected this in the YLS thread when I think "Dingman" or someone called me out).

Apologies for that inadvertent error/misinterpretation.

Poor wording. :roll:. You're saying the countless errors and misleading statements you've posted in the HLS and YLS threads are all due to inadvertent errors?

Why are you even trolling the HLS and YLS threads? According to you:

Peter North wrote:I am truly disappointed with my Feb 2010 score (low 160s, 2nd attempt) despite advance preparation of an intense nature.

So shouldn't you be trolling WUSTL or Emory or something? Or has Harvard magically told you that they will admit a <165 non-urm if he drums up enough confusion and misinformation on online forums?

CG614

Postby CG614 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 pm

So, who is going to start the Barbara Gordon is JR thread?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:16 pm

CG614 wrote:So, who is going to start the Barbara Gordon is JR thread?

Maybe his alter ego? After all, JR did say "hold is a good place to be"...

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:21 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:Held. No JR. Going to write LOCI and send third rec.

+1 ...

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Oh man, what have I missed? That's what I get for living in the Hold purgatory thread.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:00 pm

BarbaraGordon wrote:
Peter North wrote:Ok, guys. The word from the HLS admissions office is... that the vast majority of rejections have already been sent out.

So if you still haven't been dinged and are awaiting to hear from HLS, there is a strong likelihood that you will get an acceptance.

Careful, Peter. Harvard keeps an eye on these threads, and you're likely to disqualify yourself from consideration with this kind of logic.

For one thing, you undermine your own credibility by suggesting that Harvard used the phrase "vast majority." But moreover, surely you realize that your second statement doesn't follow from your first? The fact that the majority of rejections has been dispensed hardly implies that the majority of remaining applicants will be accepted. In fact, if the pool is small enough, y'all could all be axed tomorrow and the original statement would still hold true.

As far as the hold pool goes, the truth is that it's never a good sign to be informed that you're being "held." Candidates are held primarily to see if they're needed for the waitlist. In general, no more than a handful will receive acceptances, some will be waitlisted, and many will be rejected. And if historical data and the competitiveness of this year's cycle are any indication, even the waitlisted candidates aren't likely to be offered admission.

I hate to sound harsh, but I also hate for your insufferable and frankly unwarranted case of knowitallism to continue to mislead some of these applicants.

cheers!

bg

If bg does have inside information that makes the bolded true, wouldn't everyone find JR's post about holds disingenuous and deceitful? Especially since, I believe all of us would’ve understood if he said the class is filled so we are holding people before setting up a waitlist hoping we have room to admit some.

**I don't know if the bolded is true or not. Just a conversation starter**

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 pm

Unitas wrote:If bg does have inside information that makes the bolded true, wouldn't everyone find JR's post about holds disingenuous and deceitful? Especially since, I believe all of us would’ve understood if he said the class is filled so we are holding people before setting up a waitlist.

I hardly doubt there is any "inside info" in any post in this thread. However, I don't think what BG said is too far from the truth. Most held people will likely get WLed and then some will get rejected and even fewer will get accepted. Best of luck.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Peter North wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Saying:

the day before a big batch of rejections pretty much refutes itself.

Pedantic, are we? Did it ever occur to you that when I (and several other TLS'ers) informed me (us) that the rejections went out, those were sent out earlier on? FWIW, the call was made yesterday and I had posted this last night (and right after me, a few others did as well).

If anything, this just strengthens my initial assertion. ie. a bag of rejections were out of the way and therefore sent out (which we came to know today). It all seems consistent with what r6_philly, dutcman, Unitas I and others told.

Try again.

I really don't feel like getting involved in this, but if "dutcman" is me, then I feel like I should just say that I didn't really agree with your entire assessment. So don't drag me in as support for your position. I just said that it is true for me that I will either be accepted or waitlisted at Yale. But I'm just one person.

I take no position on this issue. All I know is that you have spread misinformation before with an authoritative tone. (Not that I believe you've done this intentionally.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Some people will get accepted, some people will be held, and some people will be rejected. This should happen soon.

Then out of the people that will be held, some will be accepted, some will be rejected, and some will be further held.

Then lastly, some of those held will be accepted and some will be rejected.

I am pretty sure of this. Take it for what it's worth.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Unitas wrote:If bg does have inside information that makes the bolded true, wouldn't everyone find JR's post about holds disingenuous and deceitful? Especially since, I believe all of us would’ve understood if he said the class is filled so we are holding people before setting up a waitlist hoping we have room to admit some.

I would agree with this. JR's statements definitely gave reason for hope and "held is a good place to be" would definitely be disingenuous if BG is right, considering that few applicants would consider likely WL/rejection to be a good place.

r6_philly wrote:Some people will get accepted, some people will be held, and some people will be rejected. This should happen soon.

Then out of the people that will be held, some will be accepted, some will be rejected, and some will be further held.

Nice.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:Some people will get accepted, some people will be held, and some people will be rejected. This should happen soon.

It was the whole: held primarily to see if they're needed for the waitlist that I meant as being bad... That indicates if this person did have inside knowledge, which of course I doubt, that the holds as a whole aren't going to be looked at for admits and are only to serve as a pre-waitlist instead of as a group to be evaluated later.. Very few would even have a chance to be accepted if it was primarily as a list to make a waitlist in the future.

Eh, oh well. Whatever happens will happen.

Someone should call and ask - roughly how many spots are still available for acceptances?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 pm

My natural understanding of being held is a borderline candidate that will need to be put in context of the entire remaining pool of unreviewed candidates. So they want to finish looking at all the apps, then decide what to do with the holds - presumably because there are few open admit spots left. This is probably the case because they haven't gotten to my app yet, and mine has to be one of the last to go under review. From what they are doing today, it seems like they are clearing the queue of the unreviewed files. Once that's done, they will be disposing the holds. Hopefully all done within the next week. There seems to be some truth to what PN said.

Just be patient. It's April, it will be all done soon. I care about seat deposit deadlines but we still have the entire month of April I think we will find out before that at the latest.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Peter North wrote:
BarbaraGordon wrote:The problem is, Peter, that you're either misunderstanding the info coming from the Harvard office, or deliberately misleading others. I'm not sure which one makes you happier. But the truth is that while Harvard will admit that "the majority" of rejections has been distributed, the office will also be quick to tell you that "the majority" of admissions has, too. Argue all you want, but you simply shouldn't be going around telling applicants that they're a virtual lock for either a waitlist or an admission.

Actually, I agree with you there. You are right. It was some poor wording on my part. (I have corrected this in the YLS thread when I think "Dingman" or someone called me out).

Actually, it's Dignan. But if I ever become an adcomm at YLS or HLS, I think I'll change my name to Dingman; it would be quite appropriate.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm

BarbaraGordon wrote:Careful, Peter. Harvard keeps an eye on these threads, and you're likely to disqualify yourself from consideration with this kind of logic.

cheers!

bg

anyone else find it a bit funny that BG called Peter out for speaking w/ authority on a subject w/o the proper evidence to back it up...but did so in the same manner by speaking authoritatively and w/o backing it up? lol, though to give her the benefit of the doubt, i thought she did it on purpose to get a point across :P

seriously though, do you have some sort of inside knowledge BG? or just sharing w/ everyone your own personal definition of what 'held' means?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:43 pm

While the majority of rejections may have gone out, that doesn't change the fact that the majority of applications still open will be rejections and waitlists.

But we all know from the "hideous fucking LSAT thread" that necessary / sufficient logic might not be Peter's strong suit.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Peter North wrote:I'm not going to entertain some of the disparaging remarks with retorts. Quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered.

People like r6_philly, Unitas, Apimpnamedslick, et al. and quite a few others in the YLS thread have all attested to the veracity of what I have said. Thank you, guys. I'm not exactly parroting what HLS/YLS have said, but rather putting my own interpretation in to this. ie. most dings have been sent out, and the "vast majority" of remaining applications are either appropriate candidates for WL'd or an acceptance. (I've explained this in detail in the YLS thread, so no point in repeating this.

It's pretty amusing how people are quick to say that I am somehow intentionally and deliberately misleading people, yet hordes of others come in here and saying that they too had called the offices before the Easter Hpliday Weekends, and not the same response to tune of more or less what I had alluded to. This is just like when I had suggested that in the previous cycles some people were admitted to HLS absent a phone interview. The naysayers were out to refute me... only to have several people come on here and substantiate what I had alluded to.

And finally, like r6_philly and that other fella in the YLS thread have said, of course due schools don't give status updates with respect to all pending applications awaiting decisions; but they do offer insight in a rather specious manner, just as they did with me and others that have called. Instead of taking shots at what is conjecture for now, why don't you naysayers man the fuck up and call the offices yourselves?

I have no vested interest to disseminate incorrect info or any intentions to mislead anyone, as like many of you, I too am in the same boat (ie. anxiously awaiting a status update). I do like to author troll-esque threads and joke around every now and then purely for bantering and amusement purposes, but this isn't one of those times. And given the recent slew of "movement" (ie. holds, dings, etc) and the multitude of people coming on here and saying what I had said speaks to the veracity of my info, only further supports my position. My "info" isn't top secret per se. Anyone who makes an inquiry will get the same info from the horse's mouth.

That is all.

actually, yes, in fact i stand vigorously behind (though not literally, to be sure) peter north. not because i think he's earned much credibility, but rather because it makes me profoundly happy that someone this outrageous actually exists.

BarbaraGordon

Postby BarbaraGordon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:anyone else find it a bit funny that BG called Peter out for speaking w/ authority on a subject w/o the proper evidence to back it up...but did so in the same manner by speaking authoritatively and w/o backing it up? lol, though to give her the benefit of the doubt, i thought she did it on purpose to get a point across :P

seriously though, do you have some sort of inside knowledge BG? or just sharing w/ everyone your own personal definition of what 'held' means?

I was wondering if anybody would comment on the irony. I thought it was pretty funny, myself.
<announcervoice> And playing the role of the patronizing know-it-all this evening will be Ms. BarbaraGordon. </announcervoice>

As to your question, a superhero never reveals her secrets. But no, I'm not personally affiliated with Harvard.

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:actually, yes, in fact i stand vigorously behind (though not literally, to be sure) peter north. not because i think he's earned much credibility, but rather because it makes me profoundly happy that someone this outrageous actually exists.

Much safer to stand behind than the reverse.

bananasinpajamas

Postby bananasinpajamas » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 am

--LinkRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:21 am

bananasinpajamas wrote:--LinkRemoved--

You are two days late.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 am

Peter North wrote:Pedantic, are we?
I'd like to be able to say I quit reading after this. I continued, but not for any good reason. If you aren't pedantic, methinks law school might not be the path for you.
BarbaraGordon wrote:As to your question, a superhero never reveals her secrets. But no, I'm not personally affiliated with Harvard.
What about professionally?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”