Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kretzy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:13 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:Held. No JR. Going to write LOCI and send third rec.

Jesus, another hold? April 2. Jeepers.

Jrugg88

Postby Jrugg88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:15 pm

How long after going under review does it generally take for them to get back to you?

My numbers are below 25th percentile and I've been under review since 2/19. Does this mean I wasn't an insta-reject? How do they notify of rejections - e-mail?

AdmiralNelson

Postby AdmiralNelson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Held. No JR1 (...yet...haha). I figured myself well out of the running weeks ago, and this 'hold' actually improved my dismal psychological state.

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Held just now. No JR, applied early January.
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:28 pm

PN, unless you are simultaneously both JR and Asha, how is it you have all this inside info from the HLS/YLS admissions offices? Do they freely give out info about their timelines and decision-making process to anyone who calls their offices and asks?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:31 pm

blue5385 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until [strike]5 pm[/strike] midnight EST just in case.

Only 5? I expect them to work until 6:30 at least.

edit: I wonder if they send the rejections in little batches over the course of the evening to prolong our misery and/or their enjoyment, or if they just do it in one fell swoop.

I bet we could answer that. Niterunner, jgomilow, do you mind posting the exact time you received the e-mail (and your time zone)?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:33 pm

blue5385 wrote:PN, unless you are simultaneously both JR and Asha, how is it you have all this inside info from the HLS/YLS admissions offices? Do they freely give out info about their timelines and decision-making process to anyone who calls their offices and asks?

I think he said he called. TBF, I asked UM some really direct questions and the answers were honest and forthcoming. So I don't doubt that he can get those answers, especially if he was professional and courteous about it. They are just doing their jobs, and as long as you appreciate that fact, you should be able to get your answers - if they are able provide them.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Just got a hold e-mail! Woo hoo!

I know I'm probably still a reject, but at least I can join this fancy club.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 pm

clintonius wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until [strike]5 pm[/strike] midnight EST just in case.

Only 5? I expect them to work until 6:30 at least.

edit: I wonder if they send the rejections in little batches over the course of the evening to prolong our misery and/or their enjoyment, or if they just do it in one fell swoop.

I bet we could answer that. Niterunner, jgomilow, do you mind posting the exact time you received the e-mail (and your time zone)?

Look in the email header and post the time stamp. I wouldn't be surprised if they are batched in small batches. I also wouldn't be surprised that they have a form email that is individually sent as you update the status of their file. (The membership system I developed which handles 20k members, are done this way. Emails are sent as you update their status. They are not batched but the content is a pre-formulated form)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:PN, unless you are simultaneously both JR and Asha, how is it you have all this inside info from the HLS/YLS admissions offices? Do they freely give out info about their timelines and decision-making process to anyone who calls their offices and asks?

I think he said he called. TBF, I asked UM some really direct questions and the answers were honest and forthcoming. So I don't doubt that he can get those answers, especially if he was professional and courteous about it. They are just doing their jobs, and as long as you appreciate that fact, you should be able to get your answers - if they are able provide them.

Did you ask them questions about your own app? I can see how they'd be forthcoming with answers on individual applications, especially since people have deadlines to meet at other schools. Judging from the vagueness of the communications I've received from HLS so far, though, I just can't see them being so forthcoming with information about the big picture.

jgolimow

Postby jgolimow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Mine was sent at 3:14pm, EDT.

Interesting, though, because at the top of the email it says "Duplicate: original sent 1/15/10" which is before my file was even complete (I only went under review 1/21) -- so unless I was rejected before I even started (which would be REALLY harsh) I think that's an error in the form letter.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 pm

blue5385 wrote:Did you ask them questions about your own app? I can see how they'd be forthcoming with answers on individual applications, especially since people have deadlines to meet at other schools. Judging from the vagueness of the communications I've received from HLS so far, though, I just can't see them being so forthcoming with information about the big picture.

No I asked about the cycle in general, and where they were in the process. I don't think those are secrets as long as you are seriously just curious rather than trying to game the admissions for your own advantage. If you have great personal skills you usually get your questions answered satisfactorily no matter what it is about ;)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Did you ask them questions about your own app? I can see how they'd be forthcoming with answers on individual applications, especially since people have deadlines to meet at other schools. Judging from the vagueness of the communications I've received from HLS so far, though, I just can't see them being so forthcoming with information about the big picture.

No I asked about the cycle in general, and where they were in the process. I don't think those are secrets as long as you are seriously just curious rather than trying to game the admissions for your own advantage. If you have great personal skills you usually get your questions answered satisfactorily no matter what it is about ;)

They did a batch of rejections what twice this week?? Sorry for all those that were rejected today. Also, sorry for those held...

Maybe after next week when they finish with regular admissions they will go back more to holds.... I haven't seen an acceptance in a long time... :( Was the JR1 yesterday an April fools joke?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:No I asked about the cycle in general, and where they were in the process. I don't think those are secrets as long as you are seriously just curious rather than trying to game the admissions for your own advantage. If you have great personal skills you usually get your questions answered satisfactorily no matter what it is about ;)

How did you lead into those questions? If it works I'd give it a try to hear it from Harvard for myself, but I don't want to come off as too snoopy.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Small talk and chit chat :) ask them how busy they are, then lead to applications must be way up, then lead to asking if they are all done yet, and lead to how many % of their acceptances have been given out, then on to whatever other questions. You have to make them like you. It doesn't work all the time, but if it seem like they are perceptive, then ask more. The point I think, that works for me always, is to sympathize with them and be friends with them, they usually are just easier to get info out of. It probably takes practice though. My best friend can probably get anything from anyone lol I am not quite that good.

BarbaraGordon

Re: Not YLS 2010!

Postby BarbaraGordon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Peter North wrote:Ok, guys. The word from the HLS admissions office is... that the vast majority of rejections have already been sent out.

So if you still haven't been dinged and are awaiting to hear from HLS, there is a strong likelihood that you will get an acceptance.

Careful, Peter. Harvard keeps an eye on these threads, and you're likely to disqualify yourself from consideration with this kind of logic.

For one thing, you undermine your own credibility by suggesting that Harvard used the phrase "vast majority." But moreover, surely you realize that your second statement doesn't follow from your first? The fact that the majority of rejections has been dispensed hardly implies that the majority of remaining applicants will be accepted. In fact, if the pool is small enough, y'all could all be axed tomorrow and the original statement would still hold true.

As far as the hold pool goes, the truth is that it's never a good sign to be informed that you're being "held." Candidates are held primarily to see if they're needed for the waitlist. In general, no more than a handful will receive acceptances, some will be waitlisted, and many will be rejected. And if historical data and the competitiveness of this year's cycle are any indication, even the waitlisted candidates aren't likely to be offered admission.

I hate to sound harsh, but I also hate for your insufferable and frankly unwarranted case of knowitallism to continue to mislead some of these applicants.

cheers!

bg

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Nightrunner wrote:*thread dies as hundreds of gunners type "Barbara Gordon Harvard Law" into google*

i did this.

**lowers head in shame**

BarbaraGordon

Postby BarbaraGordon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Nightrunner wrote:*thread dies as hundreds of gunners type "Barbara Gordon Harvard Law" into google*

Just your friendly neighborhood purveyor of truth and justice, sworn to forever combat the twin evils of cyberdeception and unwarranted condescension. (Incidentally, if you like these kind of gigs as much as I do, you might also try rolling a really big rock up a hill.)

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:12 pm

BarbaraGordon wrote:
Peter North wrote:Ok, guys. The word from the HLS admissions office is... that the vast majority of rejections have already been sent out.

So if you still haven't been dinged and are awaiting to hear from HLS, there is a strong likelihood that you will get an acceptance.

Careful, Peter. Harvard keeps an eye on these threads, and you're likely to disqualify yourself from consideration with this kind of logic.

For one thing, you undermine your own credibility by suggesting that Harvard used the phrase "vast majority." But moreover, surely you realize that your second statement doesn't follow from your first? The fact that the majority of rejections has been dispensed hardly implies that the majority of remaining applicants will be accepted. In fact, if the pool is small enough, y'all could all be axed tomorrow and the original statement would still hold true.

As far as the hold pool goes, the truth is that it's never a good sign to be informed that you're being "held." Candidates are held primarily to see if they're needed for the waitlist. In general, no more than a handful will receive acceptances, some will be waitlisted, and many will be rejected. And if historical data and the competitiveness of this year's cycle are any indication, even the waitlisted candidates aren't likely to be offered admission.

I hate to sound harsh, but I also hate for your insufferable and frankly unwarranted case of knowitallism to continue to mislead some of these applicants.

cheers!

bg

mind sharing what is informing this authoritative tone?

>insert witty name<

Postby >insert witty name< » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Unitas wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

They did a batch of rejections what twice this week?? Sorry for all those that were rejected today. Also, sorry for those held...

Maybe after next week when they finish with regular admissions they will go back more to holds.... I haven't seen an acceptance in a long time... :( Was the JR1 yesterday an April fools joke?

no it wasn't a joke. i had my JR1 this morning.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Under review- 1/24 Complete- Early February

Held- Today

I'm almost surprised at how little of a reaction I'm having to this.

Given all the uncertainty regarding the "silence" from Harvard, and my fading confidence I pretty much felt like this was an inevitability.

Though I'd at least like a JR1 from HLS, some confirmation that I'm worth at least some consideration from Harvard.
Last edited by Sogui on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:29 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
BarbaraGordon wrote:

cheers!

bg

mind sharing what is informing this authoritative tone?

who cares! it's an anti-troll!

Peter North vs. Barbara Gordon

sounds like the most boring movie of the yr

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:It just clicked that Barbara Gordon was the real name of Batgirl. I have a sneaking suspicion that the "PN-vs-BG: Who is actually an admissions officer?" battle would be a lopsided beatdown.

agreed, that battle would be no contest. peter north simply exudes way more credibility, bro.

i just shudder to think about what his finishing move might look like.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:35 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:It just clicked that Barbara Gordon was the real name of Batgirl. I have a sneaking suspicion that the "PN-vs-BG: Who is actually an admissions officer?" battle would be a lopsided beatdown.

agreed, that battle would be no contest. peter north simply exudes way more credibility, bro.

i just shutter to think about what his finishing move might look like.

something about juiced balls and a wooden bat. Oh wait, I am thinking baseball.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Sogui wrote:Under review- 1/24 Complete- Early February

Held- Today

I'm almost surprised at how little of a reaction I'm having to this.

Given all the uncertainty regarding the "silence" from Harvard, and my fading confidence I pretty much felt like this was an inevitability.

I'm sorry, Sogui. I was rooting for you to get in.

On the bright side, I think that CLS will be just as good for you given your career goals. (And it doesn't hurt that they threw some money your way.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”