Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blackmamba76

Re: Not YLS 2010!

Postby blackmamba76 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Peter North wrote:Ok, guys. The word from the HLS admissions office is... that the vast majority of rejections have already been sent out.

So if you still haven't been dinged and are awaiting to hear from HLS, there is a strong likelihood that you will get an acceptance. Your chances are even better after the next HLS ASW and when the deposit payment date has expired.

Good luck, gunners! :P

Don't play with my emotions PN, I feel inclined to believe you man.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Peter North wrote:Ok, guys. The word from the HLS admissions office is... that the vast majority of rejections have already been sent out.

So if you still haven't been dinged and are awaiting to hear from HLS, there is a strong likelihood that you will get an acceptance. Your chances are even better after the next HLS ASW and when the deposit payment date has expired.

Does anyone else feel like even if PN is a troll he still does not have the ability to make it into HYS? I mean looking at this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113108

I'm just finding it harder and harder to believe that he has the numbers, mental capacity, or accomplishments to make it in. I'd expect much higher quality posts (or trolling) from a HYS-caliber admit. :twisted:

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 am

I half-agree with this- I think it's true that many of us won't get rejected, but I think the majority of held people are going to get the WL instead of an admittance...

eattrucks

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby eattrucks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 am

While I should have been supervising a lab I went through all of the listed acceptances on LSN. I found that out of the 129 H admits that haven't withdrawn and haven't listed themselves as attending, most have very attractive alternatives (or possibilities).

28 in at Y
26 in at S
42 full scholly at T14 school (usually Michigan, NYU, or Columbia)
40 pending decision at Y
60 pending decision at S

These numbers don't add up right because there is a lot of overlap within them. I have a more detailed breakdown if you want me to post it.

15 of the current acceptances didn't have any other comparable option, 7 of those listed above had H listed as #1, and 9 had another school listed as #1 above H.

As deposit deadlines approach we may see a lot [strike]of acceptances[/strike] more openings because of all the cross-admits.

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi all,
Does HLS offer tours or class sit-ins to people deferred or waitlisted? Next week I'm visiting family in CT, could drop by :!:

Also, any predictions when final acceptances and waitlists will appear?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:47 pm

eattrucks wrote:While I should have been supervising a lab I went through all of the listed acceptances on LSN. I found that out of the 129 H admits that haven't withdrawn and haven't listed themselves as attending, most have very attractive alternatives (or possibilities).

28 in at Y
26 in at S
42 full scholly at T14 school (usually Michigan, NYU, or Columbia)
40 pending decision at Y
60 pending decision at S

These numbers don't add up right because there is a lot of overlap within them. I have a more detailed breakdown if you want me to post it.

15 of the current acceptances didn't have any other comparable option, 7 of those listed above had H listed as #1, and 9 had another school listed as #1 above H.

As deposit deadlines approach we may see a lot [strike]of acceptances[/strike] more openings because of all the cross-admits.

I think a lot of schools are being very cautious with new admits at this point because they're waiting to get more info on deposits, but a critical factor is whether those openings turn into acceptances or whether those admits will come later, off the waitlist.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:19 pm

invisiblesun wrote:I think a lot of schools are being very cautious with new admits at this point because they're waiting to get more info on deposits, but a critical factor is whether those openings turn into acceptances or whether those admits will come later, off the waitlist.

I don't think this applies too much to H and Y because their yield is so high and they are at the top. I think the most official figure I have heard is 20% more apps and 4% more applicants. So people are send out more apps. But there are only so many Hamiltons and other named full scholarships to give out, and I don't think H is really holding back acceptances fearing people will withdraw like other schools below it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Nightrunner wrote:dinged today; I suppose that's the end of me in this thread.

Good luck!

Sorry :( good luck with the rest if you are still waiting!

By email? When did you complete? if you don't mind sharing

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Nightrunner wrote:dinged today; I suppose that's the end of me in this thread.

Good luck!

sorry bro.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Nightrunner wrote:first complete in late December; re-complete after December LSAT. Numbers = extreme splitting URM with great WE and a hell of an essay (if I do say so myself).

In all fairness, if I were them I probably wouldn't have accepted me. At least I feel like I got a fair review, considering they let a sub 3.0 hang around for so long.

ETA: by email, yes.

Sorry about the bad news. :(

Were you held first?

jgolimow

Postby jgolimow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:21 pm

dinged by email (174/3.83 9 yrs WE) -- never was held, never had a JR1 so it's not unexpected. Oh well. Makes my decision a LOT easier now of where to go -- was worried about having to move anyway. Guess I don't have to live apart from my fiancee for a year -- see, there are silver linings.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

jgolimow wrote:dinged by email (174/3.83 9 yrs WE) -- never was held, never had a JR1 so it's not unexpected. Oh well. Makes my decision a LOT easier now of where to go -- was worried about having to move anyway. Guess I don't have to live apart from my fiancee for a year -- see, there are silver linings.

Damn how did you get dinged, your numbers are probably more attractive than mine to them. How long were you UR?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

jgolimow wrote:dinged by email (174/3.83 9 yrs WE) -- never was held, never had a JR1 so it's not unexpected. Oh well. Makes my decision a LOT easier now of where to go -- was worried about having to move anyway. Guess I don't have to live apart from my fiancee for a year -- see, there are silver linings.

wow....I have no idea why they're holding on to my app if they are dinging people with numbers like yours. What a crazy year.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

when did you apply?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:30 pm

ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until 5 pm EST.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:31 pm

blue5385 wrote:ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until 5 pm EST.

Only 5? I expect them to work until 6:30 at least.

jgolimow

Postby jgolimow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:32 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Damn how did you get dinged, your numbers are probably more attractive than mine to them. How long were you UR?

+1

also, when did you apply?

That was part of the problem -- I'm career switching so I made the decision to go to law school in October -- which meant I had to take the December LSAT, which meant I didn't apply until 12/30. I went UR 1/16. I had a little hope there because my number twins on LSN were getting in, but I didn't go to an Ivy undergrad (top 50 liberal arts). It's funny -- a Harvard (UG and HLS) alum just sent an unsolicited letter of recommendation on my behalf that they got three days ago. Must have reminded them "Oh yeah, didn't we reject that guy yet?"

It's aiite though -- I'll take the $120K in debt (vs 200K at HLS), do GULC part time, be a consultant to my current job, run my business (I run a small PR company on the side), and get to see my finacee every day when I come home. I can think of worse things.

Lousy entry for the ding bar, but hey, who wants a guaranteed high paying job and an unparalelled alumni network anyway?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until [strike]5 pm[/strike] midnight EST just in case.

edit: I wonder if they send the rejections in little batches over the course of the evening to prolong our misery and/or their enjoyment, or if they just do it in one fell swoop.

eattrucks

Postby eattrucks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until 5 pm EST.

I wouldn't if you are on hold. From what I've seen they haven't yet rejected any held applicants (and have only accepted held applicants that had a big change to their app, like a new LSAT). It seems they are just sitting on the holds until they are completely done with the first review of all applicants. So all those people complaining about total silence since going UR need to be cleared out before the holds get any news.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:40 pm

eattrucks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I wouldn't if you are on hold. From what I've seen they haven't yet rejected any held applicants (and have only accepted held applicants that had a big change to their app, like a new LSAT). It seems they are just sitting on the holds until they are completely done with the first review of all applicants. So all those people complaining about total silence since going UR need to be cleared out before the holds get any news.

:lol: I am UR so I guess I should now check twice as often as I planned until 2am :P .

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm

blue5385 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
blue5385 wrote:ugh...now that the next wave of rejections has begun, I will be obsessively refreshing my Gmail until [strike]5 pm[/strike] midnight EST just in case.

edit: I wonder if they send the rejections in little batches over the course of the evening to prolong our misery and/or their enjoyment, or if they just do it in one fell swoop.

I thought they sent out rejections in e-mail batches once per day. So, don't hold me to it, but you're probably safe until at least next Monday.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:48 pm

only 2 rejects posted on LSN, must have been a small batch

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Doesn't bode well for me since I'm slightly behind you in all numbers: -1 LSAT, -0.03 GPA, worse ranked school, -1 years WE, and applied late January. :(
Last edited by big_blue79 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Held. No JR. Going to write LOCI and send third rec.

mh7777

Postby mh7777 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Just got the hold email. Numbers are well below par, so I guess I feel good. Applied in Dec and no JR1.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”