Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unitas

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

eattrucks wrote:If you look back at earlier years on LSN there are a lot more acceptances out of the hold group than last year. The timelines don't all match up either, though most cycles were done with outright admits before April. I believe this all just points to the fact that this year is a bit of an anomaly, and that we won't be able to predict any outcomes based on the past.

I have no idea what you are talking about here.. I think they have accepted four held applicants that we know of... Last year I also don't think they did this hold business, especially at this level.

I do agree that the timelines don't match up and last year they had a lot more offers out at this time...

BTW, wanted to say sorry to everyone that got rejected today. Most of you have a lot of other options at this point so good luck. To those held today, welcome to the club. If we weren't scattered around the country we could get together..

mcm814

Postby mcm814 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm

I'm just so puzzled by the whole process...do you think they havent reveiwed the apps of people who haven't heard yet? or are they (we ;) ) in some sort of pre-hold hold??

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:29 pm

I am confident in my conjecture that at some point in April, JR will just shout out "F*CK IT"... scatter the remaining apps across the floor, and send out universal acceptance emails to everyone who hasn't heard back at this point.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Do you HAVE to get a JR1 to get accepted, or do some held people just get accepted without an interview?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

I believe he has stated something like "one of the requirements for admission to Harvard is an interview with me." So I think that means the JR1 is a requirement. Has anybody gotten in without one?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

clintonius wrote:I believe he has stated something like "one of the requirements for admission to Harvard is an interview with me." So I think that means the JR1 is a requirement. Has anybody gotten in without one?

I doubt they have this cycle, but I was wondering about people held then accepted from previous cycles. I guess my only hope at this point is a waitlist acceptances miracle then.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Do you HAVE to get a JR1 to get accepted, or do some held people just get accepted without an interview?

Everyone gets an interview who is accepted. There have been one or two anomalies, usually relating to people being taken off the waitlist, but at this point in the game, you're going to need a JR1 before an acceptance.

mcm814

Postby mcm814 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 pm

So do we think JR1's are done?

wamp wamp.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
clintonius wrote:I believe he has stated something like "one of the requirements for admission to Harvard is an interview with me." So I think that means the JR1 is a requirement. Has anybody gotten in without one?

I doubt they have this cycle, but I was wondering about people held then accepted from previous cycles. I guess my only hope at this point is a waitlist acceptances miracle then.

Yes, in years past some have been accepted without interview. I know of two personally, though neither attended. These were 4.0+, 178+ folks though.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:57 pm

200,000 views of the Harvard thread - impressive.
Last edited by Unitas on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 pm

mcm814 wrote:So do we think JR1's are done?

wamp wamp.

There have to be some more JR1s if the class is up to 10% unfilled. I thought the consensus was that JR1-Holds are likely WL, so assuming few of us get JR2s, the bulk of the new admits would have to be current NoJR1-Holds.

Not sure the JR1-Hold < NoJR1-Hold is still consensus, but it seemed like it a few days ago.

#endlessspeculation

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 pm

gatordude94 wrote:I thought the consensus was that JR1-Holds are likely WL, so assuming few of us get JR2s, the bulk of the new admits would have to be current NoJR1-Holds.
OR NO HOLD/NO JR1

PLEASE. Maybe. a little? oh, you like it when I do that?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:22 pm

If that's true, can I have a JR1 pretty please!

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Yes, in years past some have been accepted without interview. I know of two personally, though neither attended. These were 4.0+, 178+ folks though.

are you a Peter North alt?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:30 pm

adameus wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I just got North'd? Daang.

EDIT: Or is the expressed Peter'd?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 pm

adameus wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Haha, yup!

I'm serious, though. The TS1 was not formerly an absolute requirement for admission at HLS.

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:34 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
adameus wrote:

I just got North'd? Daang.

EDIT: Or is the expressed Peter'd?

Do your eyes sting?

traficante

Postby traficante » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

My apologies if this has already been covered (I suspect it has, but it'd take about 8 hours to read the thread...), but are there any JR tendencies people would like to speculate about at this point, or is it still not evident? I suppose it is hard to get a handle on because this is an abnormal year in the first place. In any event, I'm applying next year and just want to get a sense of what kind of class they might be trying to build at the Duke of the north (or the Berkeley of the East for Kronk).

My impression so far is this: (1) a larger hold batch than usual, which might be a result of increased application numbers; (2) a slightly more holistic admissions process; (3) less forgiving than past admissions on LSAT retakes. I am mostly basing this on the high number of holds for high numbers applicants, especially those with retakes - in past years, it seems a number of these numbers heavy applicants would be admitted early.

Is this a fair recap, or is it more, "we have no idea what is going on" (which seems to be the sentiment above)?
Last edited by traficante on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:51 pm

traficante wrote:My apologies if this has already been covered (I suspect it has, but it'd take about 8 hours to read the thread...), but are there any JR tendencies people would like to speculate about at this point, or is it still not evident? I suppose it is hard to get a handle on because this is an abnormal year in the first place. In any event, I'm applying next year and just want to get a handle on what kind of class they might be trying to build at the Duke of the north (or the Berkeley of the East for Kronk).

My impression so far is this: (1) a larger hold batch than usual, which might be a result of increased application numbers; (2) a slightly more holistic admissions process; (3) less forgiving than past admissions on LSAT retakes. I am mostly basing this on the high number of holds for high numbers applicants, especially those with retakes - in past years, it seems a number of these numbers heavy applicants would be admitted early.

Is this a fair recap, or is it more, "we have no idea what is going on" (which seems to be the sentiment above)?

I think all 3 of those seem to make sense given the data we have on this year's cycle.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 pm

1 is definitely the case, or at least it's as strongly indicated as the limited resources that we have will allow

2 is more debatable. it does look like there's been a stronger emphasis on GPA relative to LSAT this year (though that itself isn't a shift toward "holistic"). but there are a decent number of people with powerhouse stats who are still floating. if LSN does end up with a solid smattering of red in the upper right, I think 2 is a reasonably safe conclusion, but probably not until then

3 I'd be inclined to disagree with. following this thread, it's seemed to me that H has been plenty forgiving to multiple LSATs this cycle.

Rocco Siffredi

Postby Rocco Siffredi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Hello everyone, just coming out of lurking to post some things about being held at Harvard.

a) It sucks.
b) Why am I not in? Numbers in profile, slightly fudged. I also think that I have some interesting work experience.
c) Peter North is a wimp compared to me, seriously, watch some of my flicks.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 pm

They may be looking more holistically, but I agree that they don't seem to be looking down on retakes. I only took the LSAT once and I haven't heard anything yet. :( I really, really hope I get in. I'm even still scheduled to retake the LSAT in June to try for a 180 if I'm waitlisted, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:They may be looking more holistically, but I agree that they don't seem to be looking down on retakes. I only took the LSAT once and I haven't heard anything yet. :( I really, really hope I get in. I'm even still scheduled to retake the LSAT in June to try for a 180 if I'm waitlisted, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I wouldn't worry about the first 5 sections. A stellar writing sample on the retake is what will really put you over the top.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:18 pm

rupert.pupkin wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:They may be looking more holistically, but I agree that they don't seem to be looking down on retakes. I only took the LSAT once and I haven't heard anything yet. :( I really, really hope I get in. I'm even still scheduled to retake the LSAT in June to try for a 180 if I'm waitlisted, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I wouldn't worry about the first 5 sections. A stellar writing sample on the retake is what will really put you over the top.

And make sure to bubble completely inside the circle.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
rupert.pupkin wrote:

And make sure to bubble completely inside the circle.

Choose all A's for effort. Do the writing sample section in Latin to show versability. Make sure to mention that you scored a 179 the last time so they know to only see if your work warrant the extra point. 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”