Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
invisiblesun

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Invisible Sun's idea that maybe JR is waiting to see if Stanford overtakes Harvard in the rankings on April 15th is an interesting one. If that's the case, since I've been rejected by Stanford, there's no harm in admitting me now!

So do you think the inpending new rankings will have a noticable impact on the rest of the cycle? Like schools bidding up high LSAT/GPA candidates still remaining on waitlists to try to up their medians/75%? Or would they be mass rejecting in hope of lowering accetance rates?

The medians from this cycle will not be the medians that are in the rankings that will be released next month, they are the medians from last year, same with any of the other statistics.

I understand, but if one's median numbers slipped against peer schools, they will more likely under pressure to try to up this year's median, stopping the slide/keep up with the gain so to speak.

As someone with a great LSAT but a GPA that's a hair below the median, the thought of this makes me nervous (HLS stacking GPAs that are above their current median to raise it).

Netsirk

Postby Netsirk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm

mcm814 wrote:is there any consensus on whether being held is better than radio silence?

+1

I would like to know what the opinions on this are as well. I was held yesterday, which is surprising. I was expecting a ding. I guess I'll just be waiting longer for it to arrive.

MichelledeMontaigne

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Guys it doesn't make sense to think that one of the top 3 law schools would do something as silly as not accepting some applicants because it wants to do well on the USNWR. Seriously these rankings are not as important to people who know about this stuff, they only mean anything to stupid OLs. If anything I've read a bunch of articles about Harvard overtaking Yale. The differences in ranking between the top 3 do not matter! The only thing that matters is that HYS is way ahead of the others.

Here are some interesting articles:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/unive ... rvard-law/

http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Netsirk wrote:
mcm814 wrote:is there any consensus on whether being held is better than radio silence?

+1

I would like to know what the opinions on this are as well. I was held yesterday, which is surprising. I was expecting a ding. I guess I'll just be waiting longer for it to arrive.

It really depends on your completion date, how much your "date and number buddies" have heard back and what they've heard.

Held = They like you

Silence = They don't hate you enough for a fast reject, but they don't love you enough for a fast JR1/JR2

Overall = I'd say silence is better all else equal since it has better up-side potential. That's pure conjecture but I'd imagine the acceptance rate for "silence" is probably higher than their relatively large holding pool at this point, especially since there was a string of hold-acceptance in early March.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Sogui wrote:
Netsirk wrote:

+1

It really depends on your completion date, how much your "date and number buddies" have heard back and what they've heard.

Held = They like you

Silence = They don't hate you enough for a fast reject, but they don't love you enough for a fast JR1/JR2

Overall = I'd say silence is better all else equal since it has better up-side potential. That's pure conjecture but I'd imagine the acceptance rate for "silence" is probably higher than their relatively large holding pool at this point, especially since there was a string of hold-acceptance in early March.

i'm trying to enjoy the silence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAN9sKlOZxE

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:38 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Guys it doesn't make sense to think that one of the top 3 law schools would do something as silly as not accepting some applicants because it wants to do well on the USNWR. Seriously these rankings are not as important to people who know about this stuff, they only mean anything to stupid OLs. If anything I've read a bunch of articles about Harvard overtaking Yale. The differences in ranking between the top 3 do not matter! The only thing that matters is that HYS is way ahead of the others.

Here are some interesting articles:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/unive ... rvard-law/

http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

In the grand scheme of things, this is absolutely true, but each year schools are faced with a wave of (maybe 50k) "stupid oL's". And anyone who is going to support any of these kids going to law school is going to look at the US News rankings and say "my *** is going to the #*" school in the country! I know that is the only way I can let lay people understand the achievements that I have made. Otherwise people are not going to understand Michigan vs. Michigan state, or NYU Vs. NYLS.

I'd like to add to regular people, the closer you are to the top, the more the precise ranking matters. We award medals for first 3 places but the rest are just in the field. Go past T1 they don't even rank, there is a reason for this.

Not saying that anyone should be choosing school by the rank, but it absolutely matters in all aspects of (at least my) life now, or after school.

mcm814

Postby mcm814 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 pm

I can't really figure out who exactly is my "number buddy"--does caliber of the undergrad insitution (not to start that whole debate again...) factor in at all, or just straight up GPA?

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, this is absolutely true, but each year schools are faced with a wave of (maybe 50k) "stupid oL's". And anyone who is going to support any of these kids going to law school is going to look at the US News rankings and say "my *** is going to the #*" school in the country!

This post was very interesting when I read it thinking that the asterisks represented swear words.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:54 pm

Sogui wrote:

Held = They like you

Your posts often stress me out. :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

mcm814 wrote:I can't really figure out who exactly is my "number buddy"--does caliber of the undergrad insitution (not to start that whole debate again...) factor in at all, or just straight up GPA?

At Harvard level, I think it matters a lot because they have choices. At places below maybe not so much because they could gain from a GPA rise even if it isn't from a prestigous ug.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, this is absolutely true, but each year schools are faced with a wave of (maybe 50k) "stupid oL's". And anyone who is going to support any of these kids going to law school is going to look at the US News rankings and say "my *** is going to the #*" school in the country!

This post was very interesting when I read it thinking that the asterisks represented swear words.

I think that's how my relatives would be talking if I went to #1,2 or 3. So it's fairly accurate :lol:

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:59 pm

mcm814 wrote:I can't really figure out who exactly is my "number buddy"--does caliber of the undergrad insitution (not to start that whole debate again...) factor in at all, or just straight up GPA?

Not so subtle anti me post... But I think UG does matter ...

Also, how many people in here are just at under review still? They must have already completed all the applications from before the deadline by now. Right?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Unitas wrote:

Also, how many people in here are just at under review still? They must have already completed all the applications from before the deadline by now. Right?

I am UR recently.

leftofthedial

Postby leftofthedial » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Unitas wrote:

Nope. UR early February. Oh, Martin Gore, why do you taunt me?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I am UR recently.

You applied on the last day though right? Because of the Feb LSAT delay. If true that means everyone should be UR by now.

mcm814

Postby mcm814 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm still "Under Review" on the status checker too, and have been since 2/2. I received the email indicating that my application is complete and they've received all my materials on 2/11

leftofthedial

Postby leftofthedial » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm

For what it's worth, I applied in early/mid January.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Unitas wrote:
You applied on the last day though right? Because of the Feb LSAT delay. If true that means everyone should be UR by now.

Actually I applied in Jan, but my LSDAS report should be the last batch out because of the snow delay (I think it was sent 3/10ish). So I should be one of the last to go UR, unless someone had transcrip/LOR issues.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Peter North wrote:FYI: For HLS it doesn't really matter when someone applies...

There's no playbook or definitive timeline, when it comes to HLS admissions (despite the sheer fact that the "app complete" e-mails projects timeline)...

Anything can happen, anytime... just go with the flow.

ummm not true at all... Definitely helps to apply early. As seen directly from the HLS Admissions Blog:

Josh Rubenstein wrote:1. Start Early and Plan Ahead

Take time to put together a well-crafted, thoughtful application. Create a calendar of deadlines and all the application steps and work backwards to build a schedule. At HLS, and many other schools with rolling admissions, your chances will be better if you apply early.

--LinkRemoved--

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:

There's no playbook or definitive timeline, when it comes to HLS admissions (despite the sheer fact that the "app complete" e-mails projects timeline)...

ummm not true at all... Definitely helps to apply early. As seen directly from the HLS Admissions Blog:

Josh Rubenstein wrote:1. Start Early and Plan Ahead

Take time to put together a well-crafted, thoughtful application. Create a calendar of deadlines and all the application steps and work backwards to build a schedule. At HLS, and many other schools with rolling admissions, your chances will be better if you apply early.

--LinkRemoved--

Once I learned to see Peter North as a decent troll rather than an excruciatingly irritating poster whose statements and questions really get to me, I started enjoying his posts more.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 pm

don't forget, peter north is asha so he mixed up "his" admissions process with harvard's

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Once I learned to see Peter North as a decent troll rather than an excruciatingly irritating poster whose statements and questions really get to me, I started enjoying his posts more.

Sure for people who have been on TLS for a while and can understand trolls its cool.. but the fact that PN posts like he's knowledgeable and in threads where people w/o much TLS experience are browsing just means he's throwing out a lot of garbage to people who will believe him.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

$1.99 wrote:don't forget, peter north is asha so he mixed up "his" admissions process with harvard's

As funny as that TLS "meme" has been, I have to suspend my disbelief way too much to accept that Asha would write in her profile "the bonafide c-shot legend"...

doomcannon

Postby doomcannon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Coming out of the lurk-closet. Any thoughts on post-JR1 LOCI at this point?

I had a JR1 in early Feb but haven't heard anything since. I think I have a decent shot numbers-wise (both ~75ths) but have obviously missed 2 months worth of Mondays at this point. re: letter material, my personal situation hasn't changed much, but I never wrote a "why harvard" either. I do think it would be a great opportunity to have access to/work with the Berkman Center. Heard the rest of the law school is OK too.

I'm not sure what point a letter would serve except to reaffirm my interest; is that necessary with/desired at a top school like Harvard?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
$1.99 wrote:don't forget, peter north is asha so he mixed up "his" admissions process with harvard's

As funny as that TLS "meme" has been, I have to suspend my disbelief way too much to accept that Asha would write in her profile "the bonafide c-shot legend"...

lmfao seriously, have you guys read ALL of his posts? he is not Asha

oh and...

i have to disagree as well. applying early definitely helps. is it a huge game changer? maybe not, but it helps (adcomms even told me this directly lol)

now for YLS...i often hear it doesnt really matter as much

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”