Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
someones alt

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby someones alt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
someones alt wrote:So uh, no one else got held today then?

Did you? That is one ridiculously late hold.

Yup, I snuck into this thread right before the explosion of posts. No JR1.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Kronk wrote:rofl at this thread. In crackberry's defense, though, Stanford has the lowest acceptance rate of any undergrad. At least west of the Mississippi, Stanford is considered every bit as good as HYP. I wouldn't say Berkeley is on that level as far as lay prestige goes, but it is definitely not far behind. If you're going to include grad school and actually look at rankings, I'm not sure I'd even include Yale, and I'd just say Stanford and Berkeley are the best overall schools.

im a bit confused -- why is berkeley in this overall best 3 trinity? lol i can see the argument made for H, S, Chicago, etc., but i just dont see it for berkeley -- i mean, the ugrad there (while not the most important factor, is still a major factor given it has no med school as crack said) isnt even in the same league as S or H in selectivity (assuming you're from cali)

I would not put Berkeley in the same league as HYPS (or a host of other privates) for undergrad education. What gives Berkeley such global renown is the strength of its graduate programs and its research contributions.

yeah sure i know Berkeley would be up there, but i would think it is more like around UPenn, Chicago, etc. i just dont see why it'd be HSB overall and not just, iunno, HS lol.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:32 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Kronk wrote:rofl at this thread. In crackberry's defense, though, Stanford has the lowest acceptance rate of any undergrad. At least west of the Mississippi, Stanford is considered every bit as good as HYP. I wouldn't say Berkeley is on that level as far as lay prestige goes, but it is definitely not far behind. If you're going to include grad school and actually look at rankings, I'm not sure I'd even include Yale, and I'd just say Stanford and Berkeley are the best overall schools.

im a bit confused -- why is berkeley in this overall best 3 trinity? lol i can see the argument made for H, S, Chicago, etc., but i just dont see it for berkeley -- i mean, the ugrad there (while not the most important factor, is still a major factor given it has no med school as crack said) isnt even in the same league as S or H in selectivity (assuming you're from cali)

Berkeley--

Law - 6th
Business - 7th
Education - 7th
Engineering - 3rd
Medical - 5th (UC-San Francisco)
Average: 5.6
Sciences - Berkeley ties or ranks higher than Chicago, Yale, and Harvard for any science
Social Sciences - Berkeley ranks higher than Chicago, Yale, and Harvard for almost every social science. The exception is economics, where Chicago and Harvard are tied for 1st and Berkeley is 6th. In addition, Berkeley is 1st in English, Sociology, and History.

Harvard--

Law - 2nd
Business - 1st
Education - 6th
Engineering - 18th
Medical - 1st
Average: 5.6

Yale--

Law - 1st
Business - 10th
Education - XX
Engineering - 40th
Medical - 6th
Average - n/a and wouldn't be close regardless

Chicago--

Law - 6th
Business - 5th
Education - XX
Engineering - XX
Medical - 13th
Average - n/a and wouldn't be close

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Kronk wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Berkeley--

Law - 6th
Business - 7th
Education - 7th
Engineering - 3rd
Medical - 5th (UC-San Francisco)
Sciences - Berkeley ties or ranks higher than Chicago, Yale, and Harvard for any science
Social Sciences - Berkeley ranks higher than Chicago, Yale, and Harvard for almost every social science. The exception is economics, where Chicago and Harvard are tied for 1st and Berkeley is 6th. In addition, Berkeley is 1st in English, Sociology, and History.

Harvard--

Law - 2nd
Business - 1st
Education - 6th
Engineering - 18th
Medical - 1st

Yale--

Law - 1st
Business - 10th
Education - XX
Engineering - 40th
Medical - 6th

Chicago--

Law - 6th
Business - 5th
Education - XX
Engineering - XX
Medical - 13th

i dont live on the west coast, so im a bit confused about the UC-SF = UC-B med school. and breaking down the sciences/social sciences is kind of picking and choosing isnt it? if we're gonna use overall rankings for the grad schools (and not break engineering down to aerospace, etc.) we may as well do it for ugrad too, where Berk is 21.

unless of course that was for all of its masters/doctorate programs???

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:37 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i dont live on the west coast, so im a bit confused about the UC-SF = UC-B med school. and breaking down the sciences/social sciences is kind of picking and choosing isnt it? if we're gonna use overall rankings for the grad schools (and not break engineering down to aerospace, etc.) we may as well do it for ugrad too, where Berk is 21.

Those were all graduate programs.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Berkeley has an affiliation with UCSF med school? Or was that a nod to their geographical proximity? Serious question.

I'm always left to wonder whether or not business schools deserve a place in a discussion about the best academic institution....

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:]
I would not put Berkeley in the same league as HYPS (or a host of other privates) for undergrad education. What gives Berkeley such global renown is the strength of its graduate programs and its research contributions.

Agreed. Berkeley is really strong in the Humanities (especially English), and a smattering of social sciences, hard sciences, etc. It also helps that it's big as hell.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Berkeley has an affiliation with UCSF med school? Or was that a nod to their geographical proximity? Serious question.

I'm always left to wonder whether or not business schools deserve a place in a discussion about the best academic institution....

They are affiliated, yes. You do three years at UCB and then go to UCSF for two years clinical, iirc.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Kronk wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:i dont live on the west coast, so im a bit confused about the UC-SF = UC-B med school. and breaking down the sciences/social sciences is kind of picking and choosing isnt it? if we're gonna use overall rankings for the grad schools (and not break engineering down to aerospace, etc.) we may as well do it for ugrad too, where Berk is 21.

Those were all graduate programs.

oh ok well that certainly bolsters the pro-B side. but even though it is in the top10 a lot, let's look at the metrics you did offer for more schools:

Harvard:

Ugrad - 1st
Law - 2nd
Business - 1st
Education - 6th
Engineering - 18th
Medical - 1st

Berkeley:

Ugrad - 21st
Law - 6th
Business - 7th
Education - 7th
Engineering - 3rd
Medical - XX

Stanford:

Ugrad - 4th
Law - 3rd
Business - 2nd
Education - 1st
Engineering - 2nd
Medical - 6th

UPenn:

Ugrad - 4th
Law - 8th
Business - 3rd
Education - 13th
Engineering - 27th
Medical - 3rd

Chicago:

Ugrad - 8th
Law - 6th
Business - 5th
Education - XX
Engineering - XX
Medical - 13th

seems to me that H and S are still a step up from Berkeley. of course i dont have all the diff grad schools factored in here, but as long as H and S place in the top 5ish for most of them, they'd still come out a bit stronger.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:57 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:Image

Seriously I stop checking this thread for a day and its drama galore.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm

did someone post a challenge to see if we could surpass the GULC thread for most pages?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Whoa, new LSN acceptance for HLS and SLS. Looks like a flame though...or maybe not...who knows...

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:seems to me that H and S are still a step up from Berkeley. of course i dont have all the diff grad schools factored in here, but as long as H and S place in the top 5ish for most of them, they'd still come out a bit stronger.

tbf, if you're going to claim that H > B by your stats, then you have to admit that S is in a different tier from H as well. Also, none of the other schools (Penn, Chicago, etc) are close to Berkeley even if you include undergrad. I mean, think about the fact that Berkeley is better at EVERY SCIENCE AND SOCIAL SCIENCE other than economics than Harvard, Yale, Chicago, etc. That means sociology, english, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. Every single one. That is a LOT. And despite that huge advantage, Berkeley still has the same average place as Harvard if you take out undergrad. With undergrad included and weighted heavier than any individual grad school, you could make the argument that H > B. But Berkeley is still a clear third and Stanford a clear first. By your numbers, it's 1. Stanford, 2. Harvard, 3. Berkeley.

MichelledeMontaigne

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:45 pm

All-encompassing rankings are stupid. Especially when they are made by 0Ls.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:All-encompassing rankings are stupid. Especially when they are made by 0Ls.

We're not talking about law school anymore, bud, you can drop the lingo.

Olivio Pastimante

Postby Olivio Pastimante » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm compiling unemployment data by law school to get a feel for which schools are hurting right now in terms of job prospects. It is not a scientific poll by any stretch, but it will help me and many others make a decision about where to go to school.

This only applies to current law students seeking employment.

If you can, please take a few seconds to vote:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=112655

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Peter North wrote:IF YOU ARE NOT AN HLS APPLICANT IN THIS CYCLE, THEN WITH DUE RESPECT I ASK THAT YOU PLEASE TAKE YOUR DRIVEL OUT OF THIS THREAD AND

GTFO

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So..that eliminates no one.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:56 pm

It seems as if only people who live on the West Coast or near there (mid-west) rate Berkeley so highly. Its definitely a top university but blanket statements like "indisputable top 3" are ridiculous.

I'm guessing Kronk that you're in at Stanford or Berkeley so far in your cycle and are planning to attend one of them?

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Not worth it, because someone might actually take me seriously.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:It seems as if only people who live on the West Coast or near there (mid-west) rate Berkeley so highly.

And, you know, the people that make the rankings.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Kronk wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:It seems as if only people who live on the West Coast or near there (mid-west) rate Berkeley so highly.

Even a cursory examination of the main ranking systems for World Universities shows this is not true.

The largest two rankings, by Times - QS and USNWR all have Harvard, Yale, Chicago, MIT, CIT, Columbia, Princeton, Columbia and more ranked squarely ahead of Berkeley.

In fact the only ranking that has Berkeley anywhere near where you've stated in world comparison is the ARWU, which upon investigation, is a ranking compiled by a Chinese University. Now this doesn't discount its accuracy, but its methods are slightly suspect in only using 6 categories, with 1/6 being Nobel prize winners. Examine the sources yourself if you wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_High ... y_Rankings
http://www.topuniversities.com/world-un ... y-rankings
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... p-400.html
--LinkRemoved--

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:17 pm

thread's aggressively sucking ass right now IMO

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Somebody tell these schools to just drop their pants and grab a ruler, then we can finally figure out who's best.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Kronk wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:seems to me that H and S are still a step up from Berkeley. of course i dont have all the diff grad schools factored in here, but as long as H and S place in the top 5ish for most of them, they'd still come out a bit stronger.

tbf, if you're going to claim that H > B by your stats, then you have to admit that S is in a different tier from H as well. Also, none of the other schools (Penn, Chicago, etc) are close to Berkeley even if you include undergrad. I mean, think about the fact that Berkeley is better at EVERY SCIENCE AND SOCIAL SCIENCE other than economics than Harvard, Yale, Chicago, etc. That means sociology, english, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. Every single one. That is a LOT. And despite that huge advantage, Berkeley still has the same average place as Harvard if you take out undergrad. With undergrad included and weighted heavier than any individual grad school, you could make the argument that H > B. But Berkeley is still a clear third and Stanford a clear first. By your numbers, it's 1. Stanford, 2. Harvard, 3. Berkeley.

im okay w/ that argument lol. may not necessarily be exactly how id put it, but it certainly has merit to it. starts getting too subjective though. 1. S 2. H 3.B for the topic we were talking about is fine for me :)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Even a cursory examination of the main ranking systems for World Universities shows this is not true.

The largest two rankings, by Times - QS and USNWR all have Harvard, Yale, Chicago, MIT, CIT, Columbia, Princeton, Columbia and more ranked squarely ahead of Berkeley.

In fact the only ranking that has Berkeley anywhere near where you've stated in world comparison is the ARWU, which upon investigation, is a ranking compiled by a Chinese University. Now this doesn't discount its accuracy, but its methods are slightly suspect in only using 6 categories, with 1/6 being Nobel prize winners. Examine the sources yourself if you wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_High ... y_Rankings
http://www.topuniversities.com/world-un ... y-rankings
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... p-400.html
--LinkRemoved--

tbf, way to neglect the rankings of national universities. Particularly since we're comparing universities within the USA only. Not to mention if they rank MIT near the top, it clearly doesn't fit into idea we're discussing, which is "overall" university. Since when does MIT have a law school, social sciences, etc.? We're comparing universities as a whole.

I mean, in that case, you can just show the USNWR for undergrad, which has Berkeley 21st. But my argument is predicated on the idea that graduate school is more important (because it is the degree that gets you a job, tbf). Thus making every link you posted fairly irrelevant.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”