Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoubleChecks

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
existenz wrote:ITT - People who have not withdrawn from every school except their top choice (including schools still pending) try to guilt-trip crack for doing the exact same thing. Lay off him, his actions will have zero impact on whether you get HLS.

I'm still waiting to hear from Boston U, even though I have no intention of going there even with if they offered a full ride. Why? Because I paid $85 for that damn application and I want a decision.

+1. I would go to Harvard if they offered me a full ride, though :D

Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.

+1 I'd go to HLS even if i got into every other law school. yup, not even cooley would sway me, much less yale.

and why is everyone being so hard on crack? lol i guess i can see the humor in his initial efforts of a well thought out LOCI given his vocal interests, but i mean it doesnt actually change much in the admissions process -- his app, he should do what he wants w/ it and feel good about it lol.

if this were a diff subject w/ diff restrictions, i may feel differently, but w/ law school apps, iunno, withdrawing early may be a nice thing to do, but it is a far cry from a required thing to do.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:55 pm

1) One person withdrawing right now doesn't mean shit. If Harvard is going to take you, they're going to take you. If they're going to reject you they're going to reject you. The difference between 550/800 and 550/801 is essentially nothing, and their acceptance of crackberry isn't going to be the death knell for someone who otherwise would have been offered a spot.
2) Jesus god shut the fuck up about it already. Trying to muscle someone into withdrawing from one of the best law schools in the world to give yourself a minute (imagined) advantage paints you as an asshole without offering a tangible reward. So can we please get back to discussing something other than whether one solitary person should or should not withdraw?

Edit: to clarify, "shut the fuck up about it already" was directed at the conversation in general and not DoubleChecks or any user in particular.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Okay, distraction from the above. Found this on a crazy website, apparently Glenn Beck is naming Harvard Law School as part of the problem, that it's "in" on "the plot". So we should all probably rethink our applications to Harvard anyway, unless we're going to get on board with the whole communism thing.

Reply by Kimber Mastatoulo on March 19, 2010 at 1:03am
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Obama. The legislation was written years ago and is coming from outside the U.S. He is a mouthpiece. It didn't even start with him, it mostly started with FDR. Glenn Beck explained that today. But, the real culprit is the Supreme Court and Harvard Law School.
--LinkRemoved--

edit: Hey, Crackberry, you can thank me later. While they're all arguing about politics, we can pole vault into Harvard yard and start that big west coast vs. east coast law school revolution "they" have been "plotting". :lol:

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 am

ITT we attack crackberry for doing something we all would do/are doing. No one wants what-ifs, lay off him.

On a more positive note, I hope we have some movement this week. I wonder how many people are on hold? I think there's something like 30+ of us just on TLS. Over 300 holds? What does everyone think?

eattrucks

Postby eattrucks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am

No way. Held Harvard applicants are totally overrepresented on TLS. We probably make up at least a third of the held students overall (I may be telling myself this to make myself feel better about my chances, rather than it being based on any logical conclusion).

Core

Postby Core » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:34 am

eattrucks wrote:No way. Held Harvard applicants are totally overrepresented on TLS. We probably make up at least a third of the held students overall (I may be telling myself this to make myself feel better about my chances, rather than it being based on any logical conclusion).

Probably less.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 am

eattrucks wrote:No way. Held Harvard applicants are totally overrepresented on TLS. We probably make up at least a third of the held students overall (I may be telling myself this to make myself feel better about my chances, rather than it being based on any logical conclusion).

I was being optimistic with 300.. :|

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am

Anyone have an idea about what percentage of holds have had JR1s? Apologize in advance if this has been discussed in the preceding 221 pages of thread...

Core

Postby Core » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 am

gatordude94 wrote:Anyone have an idea about what percentage of holds have had JR1s? Apologize in advance if this has been discussed in the preceding 221 pages of thread...

I don't know about the %, but most have not. I have, and so have a few others, though. It's definitely not a fate you want.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

gatordude94 wrote:Anyone have an idea about what percentage of holds have had JR1s? Apologize in advance if this has been discussed in the preceding 221 pages of thread...

JR1 --> Hold = InTTTerview

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

^
that's what i think, but how can five minutes on the phone be that damning (as long as you are not totally crazy-sounding, which i doubt many of us were)? i guess first impressions really make a difference.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am

somewhatwayward wrote:^
that's what i think, but how can five minutes on the phone be that damning (as long as you are not totally crazy-sounding, which i doubt many of us were)? i guess first impressions really make a difference.

doesnt have to be inttterview lol

could be they were on the border w/ a candidate and an interview that was 'fine' wouldnt be enough to automatically push them into accept

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 am

Core wrote:

I don't know about the %, but most have not. I have, and so have a few others, though. It's definitely not a fate you want.

Gotcha. For our shared sake, hope you're wrong and that closure comes quickly...

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 pm

crackberry wrote:Let's get one thing straight: I've withdrawn from every school to which I've been admitted and that I know for sure I won't attend. Look at my LSN (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crackberry). The only schools to which I've been admitted and from which I haven't withdrawn are Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC. Now, while I've nearly positive I would go to Stanford if I were choosing among those four schools, I've always had great respect for Boalt (seriously) and when I got in there on Dec. 4, I thought almost for sure that's where I'd be going. It was the school I had my eye on when I started this process, its got an awesome environmental law program, it's in-state and its LRAP is third only to Yale and Stanford. I would like to go to the Cal ASW before I (probably) withdraw. If you really want to fault me, fault me. I don't give a shit.

I have extremely personal reasons for not having withdrawn from UCLA and USC. There is conceivably a situation in which I could be going to one of those schools (more likely than my going to Boalt) and I cannot withdraw from either until I know fur sure I don't have to be in LA for the foreseeable future.

I have withdrawn from every other school to which I've been admitted. This includes schools like NYU, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown and Cornell. I wthdrew from Northwestern and Virginia before even getting decisions from the two of them. I took myself off the UChicago waitlist and told Columbia thanks but no thanks when they decided to hold me.

The only schools I'm waiting on at this point are Yale and Harvard. I'll probably go to Yale if I get in, so that takes care of itself. As for Harvard, I had an early JR1. When I was held in January, the amount of effort required to write a letter was very minimal. You're right; I could withdraw from Harvard and not lose any sleep over it. But the rest of you shouldn't lose sleep over my not withdrawing from Harvard. I promise you that they aren't sitting there staring at my app for six weeks in lieu of reviewing other people's apps. I'm just a little fish in a big sea.

Also, the argument that I am somehow taking up a seat at Harvard is totally preposterous. I haven't even gotten in! How the hell could I be taking someone else's spot?! And if I do get in and withdraw, it's not as if Harvard is just gonna say "fuck it, we're so distraught crackberry didn't enroll that we're not going to accept someone off the WL in his spot." That argument is ludicrous and I think all of you know it. I'm more open to the "withdraw if you're in with merit aid and not gonna go" argument, because that may actually affect something in the real world. Get over yourselves, people.

I'm with Crack on this one. He doesn't have a spot, so he's got no obligation to withdrawal. If there is even a 1% chance he might attend, I think he is okay to hang on to his "Hold" and to write a LOCI.

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Just got held this very second

Edit: Actually incredibly excited that I wasn't outright rejected. Thanks for at least considering me, H!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.

I have a number of friends who have some affiliation with Harvard (UG and grad) and I like a lot of them, but it is people like you making comments like this that make me realize why I have so much less respect for Harvard than for Yale and Stanford. I am thrilled we will not be classmates.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm

crackberry wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.

I have a number of friends who have some affiliation with Harvard (UG and grad) and I like a lot of them, but it is people like you making comments like this that make me realize why I have so much less respect for Harvard than for Yale and Stanford. I am thrilled we will not be classmates.

So you are withdrawing? Succumbing to pressure? :)

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:36 pm

crackberry wrote:

And the pot calls the kettle black.

At least we have one outspoken Harvard troll on here to counteract the whole "Harvard is a TTT diploma mill" cult.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:38 pm

To be fair, there are a lot of Harvard trolls on here. While I admit that Harvard inspires more hate (not quite the right word) than either Stanford or Yale on TLS, to argue that it has no defenders is patently untrue.

None of HYS (especially H, really) need defending/trolling, but to make openly mean comments like the one Michelle made is uncalled for.

You can say I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but I've definitely never told someone "Don't worry, you're not getting in" or anything to that effect. At least not seriously (Kronk doesn't count).
Last edited by crackberry on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Chichaca wrote:
crackberry wrote:

At least we have one outspoken Harvard troll on here to counteract the whole "Harvard is a TTT diploma mill" cult.

I'm not sure about the "mill" part, but Harvard is the GULC of Boston/Cambridge. No question about it.

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm

For a school of its caliber, it gets an inordinate amount of hate on TLS.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Sour grapes? Elitism? Arrogance?

You can't hate a "holistic school" because they are not saying you are not good enough, they are saying you haven't done enough. Stanford is on its own out west. H is the top target of every east coast applicant.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Chichaca wrote:For a school of its caliber, it gets an inordinate amount of hate on TLS.

I disagree. Cooley gets an equal amount of hate.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Chichaca wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I'm not sure about the "mill" part, but Harvard is the GULC of Boston/Cambridge. No question about it.

What does this even mean?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm

crackberry wrote:

but its people like me that you're sending in a LOCI for, amirite? dont lie crackberry, dont lie!!! you can lie to me, but not to yourself! lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”