Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 am

Na_Swatch wrote:Umm yeah, everybody else still expressing interest in Harvard actually wants to go. Why are you still trying so hard if you're supposedly dead set on Stanford or Yale?

1) I'm not trying that hard. Also, I got a JR1, why would I not put in the minimal effort required to attempt to get a JR2?
2) Believe me, not everyone who sent H a LOCI would go if admitted. I can think of at least two others who sent LOCIs to H who wouldn't go anyway.

sayan

Postby sayan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:11 am

crackberry wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:Umm yeah, everybody else still expressing interest in Harvard actually wants to go. Why are you still trying so hard if you're supposedly dead set on Stanford or Yale?

1) I'm not trying that hard. Also, I got a JR1, why would I not put in the minimal effort required to attempt to get a JR2?
2) Believe me, not everyone who sent H a LOCI would go if admitted. I can think of at least two others who sent LOCIs to H who wouldn't go anyway.

So basically just trying to stroke your ego?

dudester

Postby dudester » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:58 am

sayan wrote:
crackberry wrote:

So basically just trying to stroke your ego?

--ImageRemoved--

MichelledeMontaigne

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:59 am

Whatever Crackberry...I know I did the right thing already by rejecting my acceptances to Yale and Stanford for Harvard. (Just wanted to say it again, thank you). But an LOCI that's too much, I mean you have no continued interest.
Last edited by MichelledeMontaigne on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyTrojan08

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:But an LOCI that's too much, I meant you have no continued interest.

I agree that as soon as someone has made a decision about their acceptance/withdrawal they should let the law school know.

1) You expect it from the law school, so why not reciprocate?
2) Someone else will be overjoyed to take the slot (and/or money) that you're holding just as a safety (for your decision/ego).

I withdrew from USC as soon as I found out about UCLA + money, and will likely withdraw from UCLA as soon as I visit Harvard during ASW and it confirms my preconceived notions. I'm still pursuing Stanford because I have a legitimate interest in their intellectual property connections, small class, location, and amazing business school (I actually like Stanford business more than Harvard, but vice-versa for law).

In short, as soon as you know, have the class to let someone else be happy.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:54 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:But an LOCI that's too much, I meant you have no continued interest.

I agree that as soon as someone has made a decision about their acceptance/withdrawal they should let the law school know.

2) Someone else will be overjoyed to take the slot (and/or money) that you're holding just as a safety (for your decision/ego).

I withdrew from USC as soon as I found out about UCLA + money, and will likely withdraw from UCLA as soon as I visit Harvard during ASW and it confirms my preconceived notions. I'm still pursuing Stanford because I have a legitimate interest in their intellectual property connections, small class, location, and amazing business school (I actually like Stanford business more than Harvard, but vice-versa for law).

TITCR. If you got S and Y and have no interest in H don't put your ego (or ability to say you got the HYS sweep) in front of someone who really wants H and will be heartbroken if they don't get it.

JohnnyTrojan08

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:17 pm

RealTalk wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:The ASW is April 10 & 11.

thank you

Not to be anal (or I guess I am), it's really the 10-12. That Monday is when the classes are, which is half the reason for going! I'll be tweeting/blogging the whole weekend, so excited.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:24 pm

crackberry wrote:

Sounds like you're trying quite hard to me. Once I got a JR2 early in the cycle I only finished my application to Y and dropped mine to S as I knew I would choose H over S. I mean, sure there might be a slight ego boost involved, but is it really necessary to continue trying to get into a school you know you won't go to? (Especially considering that many others are still trying to get one of HYS)

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:26 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:

TITCR. If you got S and Y and have no interest in H don't put your ego (or ability to say you got the HYS sweep) in front of someone who really wants H and will be heartbroken if they don't get it.

Withdrawing doesn't "open up a spot" for other people. The schools always admit more people than they yield, much more, knowing that many people will eventually choose other schools. If you were never planning on going then its literally impossible for you to be taking a seat away from sombody that would go. If you gave a deposit and somehow pretended to matricualte despite really being a student somewhere else I guess that might prevent somebody who might have gotten in otherwise from going; but waiting to withdraw or sending an loci doesn't make a difference to anyone. The only way you can open up a spot for someone at Harvard is by not matriculating. Crackberry isn't planning on matriculating so that's not an issue. He's not taking up a seat.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:

Withdrawing doesn't "open up a spot" for other people. The schools always admit more people than they yield, much more, knowing that many people will eventually choose other schools. If you were never planning on going then its literally impossible for you to be taking a seat away from sombody that would go. If you gave a deposit and somehow pretended to matricualte despite really being a student somewhere else I guess that might prevent somebody who might have gotten in otherwise from going; but waiting to withdraw or sending an loci doesn't make a difference to anyone. The only way you can open up a spot for someone at Harvard is by not matriculating. Crackberry isn't planning on matriculating so that's not an issue. He's not taking up a seat.

Schools typically admit more than they yield, but not as much as the acceptance stats make it seem- I believe waitlist admittances are counted as admits in the ABA data. That's what the WL is for- they take more than the class, but not THAT many more, and then as it becomes clear when people won't matriculate they start pulling off the WL. Considering they are not finished admitting, and are looking at accepting roughly a certain amount of people prior to waitlisting the rest, several withdrawals could cause them to accept a few more people that would have been waitlisted. I've heard people say that withdrawals have no bearing on admission, but I've also heard my position argued as well, and I haven't seen anything definitive enough to sway me away from it. It seems logical and seems like the most effective way for a school to maximize their yield, which we know they are trying to do.

dudester

Postby dudester » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:44 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:

Either logic or RC and grammar fail.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Let's get one thing straight: I've withdrawn from every school to which I've been admitted and that I know for sure I won't attend. Look at my LSN (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crackberry). The only schools to which I've been admitted and from which I haven't withdrawn are Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC. Now, while I've nearly positive I would go to Stanford if I were choosing among those four schools, I've always had great respect for Boalt (seriously) and when I got in there on Dec. 4, I thought almost for sure that's where I'd be going. It was the school I had my eye on when I started this process, its got an awesome environmental law program, it's in-state and its LRAP is third only to Yale and Stanford. I would like to go to the Cal ASW before I (probably) withdraw. If you really want to fault me, fault me. I don't give a shit.

I have extremely personal reasons for not having withdrawn from UCLA and USC. There is conceivably a situation in which I could be going to one of those schools (more likely than my going to Boalt) and I cannot withdraw from either until I know fur sure I don't have to be in LA for the foreseeable future.

I have withdrawn from every other school to which I've been admitted. This includes schools like NYU, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown and Cornell. I wthdrew from Northwestern and Virginia before even getting decisions from the two of them. I took myself off the UChicago waitlist and told Columbia thanks but no thanks when they decided to hold me.

The only schools I'm waiting on at this point are Yale and Harvard. I'll probably go to Yale if I get in, so that takes care of itself. As for Harvard, I had an early JR1. When I was held in January, the amount of effort required to write a letter was very minimal. You're right; I could withdraw from Harvard and not lose any sleep over it. But the rest of you shouldn't lose sleep over my not withdrawing from Harvard. I promise you that they aren't sitting there staring at my app for six weeks in lieu of reviewing other people's apps. I'm just a little fish in a big sea.

Also, the argument that I am somehow taking up a seat at Harvard is totally preposterous. I haven't even gotten in! How the hell could I be taking someone else's spot?! And if I do get in and withdraw, it's not as if Harvard is just gonna say "fuck it, we're so distraught crackberry didn't enroll that we're not going to accept someone off the WL in his spot." That argument is ludicrous and I think all of you know it. I'm more open to the "withdraw if you're in with merit aid and not gonna go" argument, because that may actually affect something in the real world. Get over yourselves, people.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:00 pm

tbf it's obvious crackberry isn't getting into Harvard so we should all just let it go.

hth

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Kronk wrote:tbf it's obvious crackberry isn't getting into Harvard so we should all just let it go.

hth

Also this.

JohnnyTrojan08

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm

crackberry wrote:Also, the argument that I am somehow taking up a seat at Harvard is totally preposterous.

I certainly didn't say this, but of course you're not taking up a spot because you're not in. I merely referenced the timing of the process. You have intimated there is no real reason to continue your application process at Harvard, and I--and others--were pointing out the possibility that Harvard was considering your application when they could be spending time on others. That is all.

Your assumptions that you're not going to get in and that they're not considering your application doesn't have any bearing on what is actually going on in the admissions office. You clearly have a strong application based on your overall cycle, and Harvard clearly is considering you because of the JR1.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:41 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Also, the argument that I am somehow taking up a seat at Harvard is totally preposterous.

I certainly didn't say this, but of course you're not taking up a spot because you're not in. I merely referenced the timing of the process. You have intimated there is no real reason to continue your application process at Harvard, and I--and others--were pointing out the possibility that Harvard was considering your application when they could be spending time on others. That is all.

Your assumptions that you're not going to get in and that they're not considering your application doesn't have any bearing on what is actually going on in the admissions office. You clearly have a strong application based on your overall cycle, and Harvard clearly is considering you because of the JR1.

+ 1 to Mr. John R. Bennet's remarks.

JohnnyTrojan08

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:43 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:+ 1 to Mr. John R. Bennet's remarks.

lolz. If you're going to try and out me--when I have a public blog--at least spell my name right. :roll:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:14 pm

As long as Harvard's application doesn't contain the following instruction, I think there is nothing to argue about. "You have at least some intention to attend Harvard Law School if admitted for your application to be considered." I also don't think the instruction tells you to "withdraw immediately if you no longer feel that you will attend Harvard." Obviously it seems like the reasonable thing to do, but there is no reason to require anyone to do so, and they don't. Maybe crackberry has eliminated Harvard as his choice at this point, but if he was admitted, who is to say that he wouldn't change his mind. I don't think anyone including crackberry can foretell the future and how an actual acceptance would affect his decision. Some people discount unlikely options because they don't want to get their hopes up. Some people are superstitious about things before they come true. There are many possiblities.

If intention to attend is paramount, every applicant should be required to ED at 1 school, and only when ED period ends (and if they are not admitted) can they file open applications to other schools.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
r6_philly wrote:What is Harvard's Yield? When would you think the latest admission offers not from hold/waitlist will be made?

Harvard's yield is usually right around 70% which is derived from the annual amount of 800 accepted and 550 matriculating to HLS. No one knows for sure about your second question tho, especially as JR is the new dean this year.

One of my friends from UG got off the HLS waitlist literally a week before classes started, back in 2007, fwiw.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:18 pm

ITT - People who have not withdrawn from every school except their top choice (including schools still pending) try to guilt-trip crack for doing the exact same thing. Lay off him, his actions will have zero impact on whether you get HLS.

I'm still waiting to hear from Boston U, even though I have no intention of going there even with if they offered a full ride. Why? Because I paid $85 for that damn application and I want a decision.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 pm

existenz wrote:ITT - People who have not withdrawn from every school except their top choice (including schools still pending) try to guilt-trip crack for doing the exact same thing. Lay off him, his actions will have zero impact on whether you get HLS.

I'm still waiting to hear from Boston U, even though I have no intention of going there even with if they offered a full ride. Why? Because I paid $85 for that damn application and I want a decision.

+1. I would go to Harvard if they offered me a full ride, though :D

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm

amolson04 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:
r6_philly wrote:What is Harvard's Yield? When would you think the latest admission offers not from hold/waitlist will be made?

Harvard's yield is usually right around 70% which is derived from the annual amount of 800 accepted and 550 matriculating to HLS. No one knows for sure about your second question tho, especially as JR is the new dean this year.

One of my friends from UG got off the HLS waitlist literally a week before classes started, back in 2007, fwiw.

The latest NON-waitlist decisions will likely be by mid to late April.

MichelledeMontaigne

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:46 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
existenz wrote:ITT - People who have not withdrawn from every school except their top choice (including schools still pending) try to guilt-trip crack for doing the exact same thing. Lay off him, his actions will have zero impact on whether you get HLS.

+1. I would go to Harvard if they offered me a full ride, though :D

Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Hope we see some movement tomorrow :)
Didn't think I'd really be waiting this long on decisions. Looks like I'm hardly the only one, though.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:38 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.

Glad to see so much school spirit from a 0L. Also glad that we won't be classmates.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”