Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amolson04

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby amolson04 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:
mh7777 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
BenJ wrote:(Is there anyone still in contention who has not been held? I was under the impression that I was one of the last not-held, not-rejected, not-admitted people.)

One of the posters above, jgolimow, gives the impression he/she has not been held, but has a later UR date (1/21) than most people I've seen in the Harvard threads.

UR 1/6 and nothing else here. Numbers aren't up to par, though, so I guess I'm using a loose definition of "in contention".

i'm in the not held/not rejected/not admitted group. UR 12/24, Complete email 1/8, nothing since.,

yeah me too, but my UR was a little later.

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 am

crackberry wrote:Carterth (180, 4.0) was held.

but he had a JR1, right? 3.9/176 and 3.86/179 (even on retake) with no JR1 seems strange. maybe it's the submission date thing JR mentioned in his blog post.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 am

georgina wrote:

but he had a JR1, right? 3.9/176 and 3.86/179 (even on retake) with no JR1 seems strange. maybe it's the submission date thing JR mentioned in his blog post.

This guy applied in late December with high stats (3.85/180), around the time Sogui said he applied, and was already accepted:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JohnnyTrojan08

The submission date could be a factor, but the holds/silence for some people and not others seems really random.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 am

UR 1/19. no hold. no jr1. no rejection.
silence...

i feel they should have dinged me by now..

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 am

dancinginseptember wrote:UR 1/19. no hold. no jr1. no rejection.
silence...

They'll probably hold you sometime in April & drag out the WL/rejection process by a few months...just because they can. :wink:

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:34 am

blue5385 wrote:
silence...

They'll probably hold you sometime in April & drag out the WL/rejection process by a few months...just because they can. :wink:

haha and so it goes.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 am

I think there is a possibility that those with really high numbers spent less time/effort on their applications/essays than those who had more to lose by doing so. With enough choices in the 175+ range, Harvard can afford to cherry pick. That may explain why some with similar scores and similar dates have had different results.

My theory could also be hogwash and only based on my hope that it's not all about the numbers.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

blue5385 wrote:
silence...

I'm thinking/feeling that this is what will happen to me. A lot better than I expected as I figured I was an auto-reject (no one with my numbers has even been waitlisted on LSN yet). Of course, maybe they just aren't spending any time on rejects right now, and I'll get what is coming to me sooner or later.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
silence...

I'm thinking/feeling that this is what will happen to me. A lot better than I expected as I figured I was an auto-reject (no one with my numbers has even been waitlisted on LSN yet). Of course, maybe they just aren't spending any time on rejects right now, and I'll get what is coming to me sooner or later.

Same here.

Another thing I don't understand about all these holds is why they are creating more work for themselves by holding everyone and their mother. All these people are going to send in a flood of extra materials, and even if the adcomms don't actually read everything, the admissions office is going to have to work hard just to scan in all those LORs & LOCIs & match them to the appropriate files. Doesn't it seem like they are shooting themselves in the foot during an already busy admissions season by soliciting all these extra materials from people they're most likely not even going to accept?

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:

This guy applied in late December with high stats (3.85/180), around the time Sogui said he applied, and was already accepted:

The submission date could be a factor, but the holds/silence for some people and not others seems really random.

oh, my submission date comment was directed toward my own confusion as to why Sogui and invisiblesun haven't even had JR1's, since it seems like many JR1's are given out on the basis of numbers alone. like, perhaps the submission timeline accounts for why carterth had a JR1 but sogui and invisiblesun have not had JR1's. i have no doubt that the applicants who are stellar overall are getting their due JR1's and JR2's in a timely fashion.

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am

blue5385 wrote:Another thing I don't understand about all these holds is why they are creating more work for themselves by holding everyone and their mother. All these people are going to send in a flood of extra materials, and even if the adcomms don't actually read everything, the admissions office is going to have to work hard just to scan in all those LORs & LOCIs & match them to the appropriate files. Doesn't it seem like they are shooting themselves in the foot during an already busy admissions season by soliciting all these extra materials from people they're most likely not even going to accept?

yea, from tls it sure seems like every held applicant has sent at least one new document in. i hope they don't lose or mismatch things. :?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:14 am

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:

oh, my submission date comment was directed toward my own confusion as to why Sogui and invisiblesun haven't even had JR1's, since it seems like many JR1's are given out on the basis of numbers alone. like, perhaps the submission timeline accounts for why carterth had a JR1 but sogui and invisiblesun have not had JR1's. i have no doubt that the applicants who are stellar overall are getting their due JR1's and JR2's in a timely fashion.

oh ok, I see what you mean...I was confused because I didn't realize all of these people were held (besides maybe the LSN user I linked)...but yeah, submission date as a factor of why some held people have gotten a JR1 & some haven't makes sense in that case.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:16 am

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Another thing I don't understand about all these holds is why they are creating more work for themselves by holding everyone and their mother. All these people are going to send in a flood of extra materials, and even if the adcomms don't actually read everything, the admissions office is going to have to work hard just to scan in all those LORs & LOCIs & match them to the appropriate files. Doesn't it seem like they are shooting themselves in the foot during an already busy admissions season by soliciting all these extra materials from people they're most likely not even going to accept?

yea, from tls it sure seems like every held applicant has sent at least one new document in. i hope they don't lose or mismatch things. :?

ha, maybe they mismatched someone else's UG transcript to my LSAT score and that's why I was held instead of rejected

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:23 am

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:

Blatant anti-sogui and invisiblesun trolling.

In all seriousness, I think it may have had to do with the fact that I was held with an LSAT score around the HLS 25th %ile and a GPA around their median, and retook and got a 179 after I had been held. The only major acceptance batch since then has been the 3/8 batch, of which most (if not all) had been JR1->hold->JR2s. Also, I feel like it would be unrealistic to expect to hear anything just a week after the scores were released. Given that JR said that whether you were held after getting a JR1 or without one was more of a function of the timing of your app, I doubt he'd just take a bunch of previous JR1s and offer so few holds JR1s. I'm saving the majority of my anguish for if a new batch of JR1s comes out and my inbox is left hungry for one.

Edit for side notes: I went complete in November, but I may just be treated like a very last minute applicant because of the new LSAT.

Also, JohnnyTrojan was a 3.85/180 and a TFA alum. That might help explain why he heard back so fast.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 am

invisiblesun wrote:In all seriousness, I think it may have had to do with the fact that I was held with an LSAT score around the HLS 25th %ile and a GPA around their median, and retook and got a 179 after I had been held. The only major acceptance batch since then has been the 3/8 batch, of which most (if not all) had been JR1->hold->JR2s. Also, I feel like it would be unrealistic to expect to hear anything just a week after the scores were released. Given that JR said that whether you were held after getting a JR1 or without one was more of a function of the timing of your app, I doubt he'd just take a bunch of previous JR1s and offer so few holds JR1s. I'm saving the majority of my anguish for if a new batch of JR1s comes out and my inbox is left hungry for one.

Is your GPA above the median invisiblesun? If it is, that plus your new LSAT score makes it sound like you definitely have a great shot at getting the eventual JR1 and JR2, not withstanding the limited seats left.

It just seems that H is weighing the GPA much more heavily this semester, with more above median GPAs and decent LSATs being admitted in comparison towards 3.8, 177 types.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:30 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:In all seriousness, I think it may have had to do with the fact that I was held with an LSAT score around the HLS 25th %ile and a GPA around their median, and retook and got a 179 after I had been held. The only major acceptance batch since then has been the 3/8 batch, of which most (if not all) had been JR1->hold->JR2s. Also, I feel like it would be unrealistic to expect to hear anything just a week after the scores were released. Given that JR said that whether you were held after getting a JR1 or without one was more of a function of the timing of your app, I doubt he'd just take a bunch of previous JR1s and offer so few holds JR1s. I'm saving the majority of my anguish for if a new batch of JR1s comes out and my inbox is left hungry for one.

Is your GPA above the median invisiblesun? If it is, that plus your new LSAT score makes it sound like you definitely have a great shot at getting the eventual JR1 and JR2, not withstanding the limited seats left.

It just seems that H is weighing the GPA much more heavily this semester, with more above median GPAs and decent LSATs being admitted in comparison towards 3.8, 177 types.

Slightly below :( ...(iirc their median is 3.88). Really hope that's not what ends up making the difference...strike my bad decision to take two sems of organic chem freshman year and I'm easily over a 3.9...haha.

Miznitic

Postby Miznitic » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 am

Rejected.

179 LSAT

2.89 cumulative GPA ( < 1.0 First attempted (long story) :: 3.68 second attempt, 10 years after initial attempt)

URM.

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 am

Miznitic wrote:Rejected.

179 LSAT

2.89 cumulative GPA ( < 1.0 First attempted (long story) :: 3.68 second attempt, 10 years after initial attempt)

URM.

omg but didn't you get into yale or something.

congrats on yale!

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:38 am

invisiblesun wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

Slightly below :( ...(iirc their median is 3.88). Really hope that's not what ends up making the difference...strike my bad decision to take two sems of organic chem freshman year and I'm easily over a 3.9...haha.

hmm... still probably have a very good chance.. just maybe not guaranteed as I was thinking if you had a median GPA #.. although probably your rest of Application and UG could tilt the balance

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
hmm... still probably have a very good chance.. just maybe not guaranteed as I was thinking if you had a median GPA #.. although probably your rest of Application and UG could tilt the balance

UG is a top 5 public in the top 50 USNWR, application has some interesting softs but nothing spectacular. Average majors. What a cycle though, huh? Any other time, if I had posted "Hey I have a 179 and a high 3.8 do you think I can get HLS?" I would have been universally regarded as a flame.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 am

invisiblesun wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

UG is a top 5 public in the top 50 USNWR, application has some interesting softs but nothing spectacular. Average majors. What a cycle though, huh? Any other time, if I had posted "Hey I have a 179 and a high 3.8 do you think I can get HLS?" I would have been universally regarded as a flame.

This year you would have too. I've had so many people, including current HLS students, tell me I'm definitely getting in this cycle with my 179/3.77. Bleh.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:56 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

This year you would have too. I've had so many people, including current HLS students, tell me I'm definitely getting in this cycle with my 179/3.77. Bleh.

This may be paranoid, but I hope that HLS isn't trying to make a point about not being an "all about numbers" school. That being said, a pre-law advisor (who actually has seemed knowledgeable) told me that the reason HLS has that rep is because they want to maintain Yale-like numbers with a considerably larger class, which essentially forces them to take a ton of high-GPA high-LSAT applicants. Maybe this year since they're getting so many apps (and likely more qualified applicants), they're enjoying the liberty of not having to do that to the same extent.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Those who expect to get in deserve to wait.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:Those who expect to get in deserve to wait.

There's a difference between expecting and eagerly hoping.

JAP1985

Postby JAP1985 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:08 pm

(i've been getting pm's, so i thought i'd post here)

i withdrew today. g/f is starting dental school at columbia and i'm headed to nyu.

good luck you guys!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”