Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

jgolimow wrote:Okay, I'm perplexed. I've been under review since 1/21. No JR1. Numbers, according to LSAC, are 50-50. LSN shows nothing but admits in my area and I'm right on the edge of that upper right hand quadrant which is a sea of green with the odd red or yellow. At this point I'm expecting a rejection, obviously (no JR1 = no Cambridge, right?) -- so why has it taken more than two months to send the "Get thee to a lower level institution" email. Should I get my hopes up for a waitlist?

Anybody have an explanation for me?


what CTNC said is right.....no use assuming a certain outcome....too much uncertainty. if your numbers give you a 50/50 shot, probably the reason there is a sea of green around your numbers now is that no one has been WLed yet. i bet there'll be a lot more yellow around there after april 15.

i'm in the same boat. hourumud gives me a 50/50 chance. i'm a JR1-hold, though, which means that my chances at this point are very slim.

edit: also, horumud and LSP are based on data from the past five or six years, so i think they give inflated probabilities, especially for this really competitive year.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 am

BenJ wrote:If there's a story (death in the family, serious illness, etc.), you might write a separate addendum about your GPA and include it in the envelope with the LOCI (and have the LOCI just mention "additional materials enclosed"). But I wouldn't bother if the story is "I partied too much freshman year but am mature now." That's what they'll take from an upward trend anyway unless you tell them otherwise.

(I hope that's sound advice.)


That's pretty much my story in a nutshell, haha. I didn't think it was the best idea to revisit it, but I was looking for reassurance that it would be OK not to mention it in my LOCI. Thanks BenJ :)

NightHooded
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby NightHooded » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 pm

So if they're STILL holding people, why not WL them immediately? Is this a sign that some, maybe even a considerable portion of the Holds, will get admitted and not WLed?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:44 pm

It may just be that they're committed to not establishing their waitlist until mid-April, which is how it's worked in past years. Although there are still somewhere around 50-100 total seats left to be given out according to this thread's calculations, so some holds will still get straight-out admitted.

(Is there anyone still in contention who has not been held? I was under the impression that I was one of the last not-held, not-rejected, not-admitted people.)

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm

BenJ wrote:(Is there anyone still in contention who has not been held? I was under the impression that I was one of the last not-held, not-rejected, not-admitted people.)


One of the posters above, jgolimow, gives the impression he/she has not been held, but has a later UR date (1/21) than most people I've seen in the Harvard threads.

jgolimow
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby jgolimow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Yep, no hold -- just UR 1/21 ...

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 pm

NightHooded wrote:So if they're STILL holding people, why not WL them immediately? Is this a sign that some, maybe even a considerable portion of the Holds, will get admitted and not WLed?


Maybe HLS is going to hold onto a lot of people to make sure they're not glossing over someone just because they applied late, etc., and going to make a "final cut" in which a huge batch of WLs, denys, and a considerable amount of acceptances will be given out. Kind of like what Stanford seems to do in April (if you look at SLS LSN profile this cycle as opposed to last cycle they've only accepted slightly over half of how many people they accepted last year.) It's probably not going to be of that scale, I'd say Harvard has no more than 100 acceptances to go. This is all speculation, of course, they could be still planning to accept 150 or 20 more... no one here knows.
Last edited by invisiblesun on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Weird. I was UR later than that (1/27).
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:53 pm

BenJ wrote:Weird. I was UR later than that (1/26).


Mine's the same as my hold date, which is 1/27.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
BenJ wrote:Weird. I was UR later than that (1/26).


Mine's the same as my hold date, which is 1/27.


Corrected the date to 1/27 for my UR. That was my original UR date. My new UR date is 3/23, same as the hold.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm

Is the hold notification automated? As in, if you haven't gotten a firm decision by a certain point in the cycle, does their system send out hold notifications to everyone whose app is still open? In that case, it wouldn't really signify whether there are any spots open, or if any of the held applicants will be anything other than WL or dinged. (I know there are people still in contention w/o a hold notification, but maybe they will be getting theirs today or in the next couple days.)
Last edited by blue5385 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mh7777
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby mh7777 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm

blue5385 wrote:
BenJ wrote:(Is there anyone still in contention who has not been held? I was under the impression that I was one of the last not-held, not-rejected, not-admitted people.)


One of the posters above, jgolimow, gives the impression he/she has not been held, but has a later UR date (1/21) than most people I've seen in the Harvard threads.


UR 1/6 and nothing else here. Numbers aren't up to par, though, so I guess I'm using a loose definition of "in contention".

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby clintonius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Yeah, I've only been UR since 2/24, but am without so much as a hold.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:10 pm

blue5385 wrote:Is the hold notification automated? As in, if you haven't gotten a firm decision by a certain point in the cycle, does their system send out hold notifications to everyone whose app is still open? In that case, it wouldn't really signify whether there are any spots open, or if any of the held applicants will be anything other than WL or dinged. (I know there are people still in contention w/o a hold notification, but maybe they will be getting theirs today or in the next couple days.)

don't think it works this way. i think people have gone substantially varying amounts of time under review before getting held

edit: still, i'm also at a loss as to why to hold people in late march. if i had to guess, maybe it's just a way of saying "anything else you want us to know before we make a final decision?" of course, being waitlisted would essentially serve that same purpose, but doing it earlier with holds instead would, i presume, expedite that process
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is the hold notification automated? As in, if you haven't gotten a firm decision by a certain point in the cycle, does their system send out hold notifications to everyone whose app is still open? In that case, it wouldn't really signify whether there are any spots open, or if any of the held applicants will be anything other than WL or dinged. (I know there are people still in contention w/o a hold notification, but maybe they will be getting theirs today or in the next couple days.)

don't think it works this way. i think people have gone substantially varying amounts of time under review before getting held


I don't really think it does either, I was just throwing it out there. To clarify one thing, I didn't mean hold notifications would be sent out at a certain point in each individual's cycle if his/her app was still open, because you're right that there has been a wide variety of time UR between held applicants, but a certain point in the overall admissions cycle (i.e., the last week of March).

User avatar
>insert witty name<
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby >insert witty name< » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 pm

mh7777 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
BenJ wrote:(Is there anyone still in contention who has not been held? I was under the impression that I was one of the last not-held, not-rejected, not-admitted people.)


One of the posters above, jgolimow, gives the impression he/she has not been held, but has a later UR date (1/21) than most people I've seen in the Harvard threads.


UR 1/6 and nothing else here. Numbers aren't up to par, though, so I guess I'm using a loose definition of "in contention".



i'm in the not held/not rejected/not admitted group. UR 12/24, Complete email 1/8, nothing since.,

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

jgolimow wrote:Yep, no hold -- just UR 1/21 ...


Same

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Sogui wrote:
jgolimow wrote:Yep, no hold -- just UR 1/21 ...


Same


Sogui, I really hope you get in. No one here seems to want it as badly as you do.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm

adameus wrote:
Sogui wrote:
jgolimow wrote:Yep, no hold -- just UR 1/21 ...


Same


Sogui, I really hope you get in. No one here seems to want it as badly as you do.


+1

User avatar
thestalkmore
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby thestalkmore » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 pm

That you're not in with a 3.9/176 is scary. When did you apply?

RealTalk
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby RealTalk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:20 pm

is there any hope for a URM who still hasn't got JR1 yet?

HLS was always gonna be a long shot but I kinda wanna get a response already rather than being in limbo

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:21 pm

RealTalk wrote:is there any hope for a URM who still hasn't got JR1 yet?


Yes, but not for you.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:56 pm

thestalkmore wrote:That you're not in with a 3.9/176 is scary. When did you apply?


I'm right around there (but with a higher LSAT) and I'm still on hold, but I originally applied with a lower score, which might have something to do with it. Hope it doesn't keep me out...

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 pm

thestalkmore wrote:That you're not in with a 3.9/176 is scary. When did you apply?


There are people here with even scarier numbers (178+) who haven't heard anything either. I know a girl who got a Hamilton from Columbia who hasn't heard a peep from Harvard.

I applied in late December

With a little over a month until deposit deadline I really wonder what's going to happen.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Carterth (180, 4.0) was held.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”