Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I also just realized that my LOR writer is out of the country for the next week and a half... I can now justify a wait not being bad until he gets back...

BenJ wrote:Oh, damn, that just reminded me that Harvard demands that everything be snail mailed. If I weren't on break this week I'd just hand-deliver my LOCI; they're only a short distance away from my UG. But, as it is, I guess I should snail mail the LOCI instead of waiting until Monday and delivering it myself.

I also can't get fall grades in until I get back, but that's less urgent as my fall grades bring my GPA down 0.02 instead of up :|


They have said you can send updates through e-mail, just no attachments. I didn't want to risk putting my LOCI in an e-mail and it messing up formatting and letters and the such as e-mail sometimes will - and I sent another LOR so that had to be mailed somehow..
Last edited by Unitas on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:39 pm

I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:40 pm

blue5385 wrote:I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.


JR in the blog has said there have been some. Not an exact number and I only recall one or two so far. Not a lot. "May have been the same person in this and that thread."

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Unitas wrote:They have said you can send updates through e-mail, just no attachments. I didn't want to risk putting my LOCI in an e-mail and it messing up formatting and letters and the such as e-mail sometimes will - and I sent another LOR so that had to be mailed somehow..


Also, it seems like people in the legal field are obsessed with hard copies and stationery. At the firm where I work, there are multiple attorneys who are adamant that things be sent in hard copy format even though it's way more convenient to email them. Some law schools also communicate mostly through hard copy letters. I think it looks more professional to mail it, so I'm going to do that in spite of the ridiculous first-class mail charges.

blackmamba76
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blackmamba76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Anyone that went under review on 3/2 heard anything back yet?

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

blackmamba76 wrote:Anyone that went under review on 3/2 heard anything back yet?


lol i've been "under review" since november, which was updated to late jan. when I was held...so chances are you might have a while.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.


JR in the blog has said there have been some. Not an exact number and I only recall one or two so far. Not a lot. "May have been the same person in this and that thread."


at least 5 jr1->hold->jr2. at least 1 hold->jr1->jr2.

blackmamba76
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blackmamba76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:Anyone that went under review on 3/2 heard anything back yet?


lol i've been "under review" since november, which was updated to late jan. when I was held...so chances are you might have a while.



DAMN!

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 pm

georgina wrote:
Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.


JR in the blog has said there have been some. Not an exact number and I only recall one or two so far. Not a lot. "May have been the same person in this and that thread."


at least 5 jr1->hold->jr2. at least 1 hold->jr1->jr2.


georgina, did you get a JR1? If so, that would make me really happy because it keeps the splitter hope alive...

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 pm

blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.


at least 5 jr1->hold->jr2. at least 1 hold->jr1->jr2.


georgina, did you get a JR1? If so, that would make me really happy because it keeps the splitter hope alive...


i DID get a JR1, blue!!! but fat lot of good it did me. oh well, see you at CLS in the fall, probably!

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:05 pm

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.


at least 5 jr1->hold->jr2. at least 1 hold->jr1->jr2.


georgina, did you get a JR1? If so, that would make me really happy because it keeps the splitter hope alive...


i DID get a JR1, blue!!! but fat lot of good it did me. oh well, see you at CLS in the fall, probably!


ha, probably. At least CLS has a really nice library. I'm probably (definitely) headed for a WL/reject at HLS, but things could be so much worse
Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 pm

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I looked back a few pages in the Held by Harvard thread and saw one hold --> acceptance; does anyone know of any others offhand? I'm being kind of lazy about searching 27 pages' worth of thread.


at least 5 jr1->hold->jr2. at least 1 hold->jr1->jr2.


georgina, did you get a JR1? If so, that would make me really happy because it keeps the splitter hope alive...


i DID get a JR1, blue!!! but fat lot of good it did me. oh well, see you at CLS in the fall, probably!


Well at least you know HLS has some interest in you. I went UR November, held Jan, and not a peep, haha.

foosh
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby foosh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:03 pm

So I got a 3/18 email saying "application complete," but my status checker says 3/10 under review. Anybody know which one it is, or experience something similar?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 pm

The complete email always comes about a week after the UR update. The UR update is definitely the accurate one as people sometimes get JR1 emails before the complete email comes.

blackmamba76
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blackmamba76 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm

foosh wrote:So I got a 3/18 email saying "application complete," but my status checker says 3/10 under review. Anybody know which one it is, or experience something similar?


Yep, got complete email on 3/10, but status checker says 3/2.

foosh
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby foosh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm

BenJ wrote:The complete email always comes about a week after the UR update. The UR update is definitely the accurate one as people sometimes get JR1 emails before the complete email comes.

Thanks! I'll go with the status checker then.

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:20 am

Held today with a little over a month before first deposits are due. :?

Guess I'll start working on a LOCI. But really, Harvard? You know I'd attend if accepted. Isn't this just wasting everyone's time?

Maybe I'll draft a LOCI for the NY State lottery commission while I'm at it. They should know how much I'm dying to win Mega Millions.

MTC87
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MTC87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 am

legalnoeagle wrote:Held today with a little over a month before first deposits are due. :?

Guess I'll start working on a LOCI. But really, Harvard? You know I'd attend if accepted. Isn't this just wasting everyone's time?

Maybe I'll draft a LOCI for the NY State lottery commission while I'm at it. They should know how much I'm dying to win Mega Millions.


yeah this is my thinking as well. obviously i'd attend if accepted. should my LOCI maybe focus a bit more on selling my application rather than just reiterating interest?

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 am

MTC87 wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:Held today with a little over a month before first deposits are due. :?

Guess I'll start working on a LOCI. But really, Harvard? You know I'd attend if accepted. Isn't this just wasting everyone's time?

Maybe I'll draft a LOCI for the NY State lottery commission while I'm at it. They should know how much I'm dying to win Mega Millions.


yeah this is my thinking as well. obviously i'd attend if accepted. should my LOCI maybe focus a bit more on selling my application rather than just reiterating interest?



Without question. I think reiterating one's interest in attending any of HYS is futile.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

legalnoeagle wrote:
MTC87 wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:Held today with a little over a month before first deposits are due. :?

Guess I'll start working on a LOCI. But really, Harvard? You know I'd attend if accepted. Isn't this just wasting everyone's time?

Maybe I'll draft a LOCI for the NY State lottery commission while I'm at it. They should know how much I'm dying to win Mega Millions.


yeah this is my thinking as well. obviously i'd attend if accepted. should my LOCI maybe focus a bit more on selling my application rather than just reiterating interest?



Without question. I think reiterating one's interest in attending any of HYS is futile.


I disagree, I think a well written LOCI should include a specific reason why Harvard... You should honestly think about why you want to go there over other schools and put it out in words. If you can't think of any reasons that sound genuine, then I doubt you have looked into HLS much.

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:23 am

Unitas wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:
MTC87 wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:Held today with a little over a month before first deposits are due. :?

Guess I'll start working on a LOCI. But really, Harvard? You know I'd attend if accepted. Isn't this just wasting everyone's time?

Maybe I'll draft a LOCI for the NY State lottery commission while I'm at it. They should know how much I'm dying to win Mega Millions.


yeah this is my thinking as well. obviously i'd attend if accepted. should my LOCI maybe focus a bit more on selling my application rather than just reiterating interest?



Without question. I think reiterating one's interest in attending any of HYS is futile.


I disagree, I think a well written LOCI should include a specific reason why Harvard... You should honestly think about why you want to go there over other schools and put it out in words. If you can't think of any reasons that sound genuine, then I doubt you have looked into HLS much.


Any sound law school application will have already achieved this in either the personal statement, LORs, or addendums--hence the my use of the word "reiterating".

If you sent out boilerplate essays, then maybe the LOCI can serve the purpose you so dutifully outlined. However, if an LOCI just echoes what you stated in your original application (with the implied notion that you REALLY want to attend), then you've simply wasted the Committee's time.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 am

I have an obvious weak point in my application, which is my GPA. I didn't send a GPA addendum to HLS because I figured it was a lost cause and I'd get rejected anyway. Now that I'm putting together a LOCI, I'm wondering if I should address this issue or leave it alone. It's fairly obvious from my transcript what happened (weak start, upward trend, strong finish), so I don't know if it would be harmful to call attention to it by discussing it in my LOCI or if it would help adcomms to know what happened from my perspective.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 am

If there's a story (death in the family, serious illness, etc.), you might write a separate addendum about your GPA and include it in the envelope with the LOCI (and have the LOCI just mention "additional materials enclosed"). But I wouldn't bother if the story is "I partied too much freshman year but am mature now." That's what they'll take from an upward trend anyway unless you tell them otherwise.

(I hope that's sound advice.)

jgolimow
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby jgolimow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:57 am

Okay, I'm perplexed. I've been under review since 1/21. No JR1. Numbers, according to LSAC, are 50-50. LSN shows nothing but admits in my area and I'm right on the edge of that upper right hand quadrant which is a sea of green with the odd red or yellow. At this point I'm expecting a rejection, obviously (no JR1 = no Cambridge, right?) -- so why has it taken more than two months to send the "Get thee to a lower level institution" email. Should I get my hopes up for a waitlist?

Anybody have an explanation for me?

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:01 am

jgolimow wrote:Okay, I'm perplexed. I've been under review since 1/21. No JR1. Numbers, according to LSAC, are 50-50. LSN shows nothing but admits in my area and I'm right on the edge of that upper right hand quadrant which is a sea of green with the odd red or yellow. At this point I'm expecting a rejection, obviously (no JR1 = no Cambridge, right?) -- so why has it taken more than two months to send the "Get thee to a lower level institution" email. Should I get my hopes up for a waitlist?

Anybody have an explanation for me?


Nobody really knows. I don't see why people are asking if they should assume they're rejected, or waitlisted. You'll know if you're rejected or waitlist when you get that decision, and not before. People in this thread keep trying to oversimplify and merge categories. I wouldn't give up hope if I were you, your numbers give you a chance of getting in.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eageragnostic, smartmoon and 5 guests