Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Held just now. Can someone please explain the point of a hold this late in the cycle? Why not just wait a few weeks & WL?

With that being said, I'm kind of flattered that they didn't just straight-up reject me. I guess I will start working on my LOCI.

via email?

Yup.

when did you apply/go complete?

Early Dec./early Jan., so it's been awhile.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm

So I had a recommender fax a new LOR to LSAC on Sunday. It was posted onto LSAC at 1:00am this morning. And now it already shows up on Harvard's status checker.

48 hour turnaround. Not bad at all!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Held just now. Can someone please explain the point of a hold this late in the cycle? Why not just wait a few weeks & WL?

With that being said, I'm kind of flattered that they didn't just straight-up reject me. I guess I will start working on my LOCI.

via email?

Yup.

Wow, I really thought I would be in the last waves of holds, yet more waves a month after my hold.. To keep holding people this late is very strange indeed... Sadly, I think we should just start referring to holds as WLs.... I haven't heard anything since sending in my LOCI and LOR. I was hoping it would overcome any apprehension they had about my application and believe it would have. I couldn't have done anymore than I did. So now I am figuring they may just not have room at the moment, and they are hoping some people withdraw so they can let a few in. The Hold list is probably longer than the admitted list at this point.

FYI, I believe all communication besides admit is through e-mail.

I agree with your comment about holds being basically equivalent to a WL...maybe the hold notification is just their way of telling people to brace themselves because they're in for a long summer.

Hopefully Yale will start making more acceptance calls so people will withdraw from Harvard & open up spots for us.

edit: Unitas, did you have a JR1?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

I really doubt Harvard is done accepting as is. There are two and a half weeks until their last ASW, and they haven't accepted many people since March 8th. While it may be true that the majority of held applicants will find themselves on the WL, there will probably be another batch prior to that. JR wrote his blog post about holds February 26th, and said that it would take about 6-8 weeks to go through all the applications, at which point some remaining holds would be moved to the WL. We haven't even reached the 6 week point, and the fact that they're still holding people tells me that the end isn't necessarily that close.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Held here as well, basically the same story as blue.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 pm

BenJ wrote:Held here as well, basically the same story as blue.

BenJ, I feel like I'm in good company, especially since your stats are so much better than mine (and your 'tar is way cuter). :)

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:07 pm

blue5385 wrote:

BenJ, I feel like I'm in good company, especially since your stats are so much better than mine. :)

UGH all the talk about numbers...Hourumd has me at about 95% and LSP has me at Admit. And yet I'm on hold, so obviously it's not ALL about numbers...

But I'd like to think my resume is not shabby for a UG and I wrote a personal statement that most readers found pretty interesting...so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed (even though it's late March!)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

BenJ, I feel like I'm in good company, especially since your stats are so much better than mine. :)

UGH all the talk about numbers...Hourumd has me at about 95% and LSP has me at Admit. And yet I'm on hold, so obviously it's not ALL about numbers...

But I'd like to think my resume is not shabby for a UG and I wrote a personal statement that most readers found pretty interesting...so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed (even though it's late March!)

I don't think it's all about numbers either, I'm just surprised because mine are low for Harvard (well, my GPA is, anyway) and I didn't think I had anything earth-shaking by way of softs to cause them to overlook the numbers.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm

blue5385 wrote:

BenJ, I feel like I'm in good company, especially since your stats are so much better than mine (and your 'tar is way cuter). :)

No JR1, another hold reported on LSN also: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/underwhere108
172, 3.94 GPA they had...

Hopefully they will make some movement this week -today- on previously held applicants. JR1 e-mails.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Unitas wrote:Hopefully they will make some movement this week -today- on older held applicants.

It looks like they're back from SB (unless they're sending us hold emails from a beach somewhere), so I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I can't think what else they would have left to do at this point in admissions season, since they won't have had any new apps to read in a long time.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Unitas wrote:Hopefully they will make some movement this week -today- on older held applicants.

It looks like they're back from SB (unless they're sending us hold emails from a beach somewhere), so I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I can't think what else they would have left to do at this point in admissions season, since they won't have had any new apps to read in a long time.

A JR1 would make my [strike]day[/strike] [strike]week[/strike] [strike]month[/strike] year...

(as long as the assumption is true that JR1s at this point basically mean you're in....)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:15 pm

blue5385 wrote:

Oh wow, didn't realize they were gone last week.... Hopefully then they will read my LOCI and LOR today or tommorow and get right back with me.. :roll:

I have some stuff to tell him too. Great stuff, filing for a patent and a LLC in the next two weeks. Can describe the project to him and working with designers for production aspects... All great stuff. Hopefully he schedules the JR1 with me for the end of next week, that would be perfect.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Oh wow, didn't realize they were gone last week.... Hopefully then they will read my LOCI and LOR today or tommorow and get right back with me.. :roll:

I have no clue whether they were actually gone last week, but the dead silence between 3/12 and today makes me think they were. (and given how speedy they've been when it comes to reviewing apps, they'll probably have your answer to you by the end of the day, if not within the hour. You should also just email JR and tell him it would be convenient for you to have your phone interview at the end of next week, I'm sure he would be more than happy to accommodate your request. :wink: )
Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Oh...silly me, I probably should have just sent my letter plain old first class USPS...

They're probably looking at the label that says how much I paid to mail it fast while they were gone, and calling me an idiot haha

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:19 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Oh...silly me, I probably should have just sent my letter plain old first class USPS...

They're probably looking at the label that says how much I paid to mail it fast while they were gone, and calling me an idiot haha

$19.00??
Same here..

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Unitas wrote:
$19.00??
Same here..

Haha I feel better! I paid a couple bucks less than that :D

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:22 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
$19.00??
Same here..

Holy crap, that is a lot of money for a few pieces of paper. I'll probably send mine first class anyway, in the hope that if I get into HLS & manage to avoid graduating at the bottom of my class, the 160k starting salary will make it all worth it.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:23 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
$19.00??
Same here..

Holy crap, that is a lot of money for a few pieces of paper. I'll probably send mine first class anyway, in the hope that if I get into HLS & manage to avoid graduating at the bottom of my class, the 160k starting salary will make it all worth it.

Well you know, I had some idea in my head that every day counts, which seems even stupider now that it looks like they were vacationing...haha

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
$19.00??
Same here..

Should be 180 by the time we grad :)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
$19.00??
Same here..

Express Mail Flat Rate Envelope - $18.30 http://www.usps.com/prices/express-mail-prices.htm

I felt overnight showed them how much I loved them.. Plus get tracking and all that. Plus I was a few days behind, held on Monday, LOCI and LOR sent on Friday. I got a tailored to Harvard LOR
Last edited by Unitas on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

adameus wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
$19.00??
Same here..

Should be 180 by the time we grad if the economy hasn't completely torpedoed BigLaw by then. :)

FTFY :wink:

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:27 pm

blue5385 wrote:
adameus wrote:...

Should be 180 by the time we grad if the economy hasn't completely torpedoed BigLaw by then. :)

It's okay, in a few years that'll only be worth 50k in euros

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Oh, damn, that just reminded me that Harvard demands that everything be snail mailed. If I weren't on break this week I'd just hand-deliver my LOCI; they're only a short distance away from my UG. But, as it is, I guess I should snail mail the LOCI instead of waiting until Monday and delivering it myself.

I also can't get fall grades in until I get back, but that's less urgent as my fall grades bring my GPA down 0.02 instead of up :|

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:33 pm

blue5385 wrote:
adameus wrote:

So we're no longer paying attention to the outright salary cuts seen at some firms? I doubt starting salary will rise above 160 for a long time, and I wouldn't expect bonuses to balloon back to where they were in '07, either.
Last edited by clintonius on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm

BenJ wrote:Oh, damn, that just reminded me that Harvard demands that everything be snail mailed. If I weren't on break this week I'd just hand-deliver my LOCI; they're only a short distance away from my UG. But, as it is, I guess I should snail mail the LOCI instead of waiting until Monday and delivering it myself.

I also can't get fall grades in until I get back, but that's less urgent as my fall grades bring my GPA down 0.02 instead of up :|

wow, that pretty much kills your shot....sorry...

:mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”