Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Core » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:33 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I applied in early January, never got a JR1 e-mail, got the complete e-mail about a month ago, but have yet to be rejected. I keep thinking that no news is good news, at Harvard as well as Yale and Stanford. But you guys are making it sound like they've given out most of their acceptances. My numbers are on the low end, so I figure every day I don't get a rejection is a good day. Is that the wrong way to look at it?

I've been wondering about this too. I applied in early December and figured my GPA would get me rejected fairly quickly. Other applicants with marginal numbers who applied/went complete later than I did have already been rejected on LSN, so I have no idea why I'm still under review. I haven't received a hold notification or any other communication from them since I submitted my app, and I can't think why they would wait to email me a form rejection letter. The only thing I can think of is that they somehow omitted my email address from the last mass rejection mailing. (Note: democrattotheend, I don't think the last part of my post applies to you, since judging by the numbers in your profile you have a much better shot at HLS than I ever would.)

I'm in the same boat as you guys. My numbers are relatively low, I've been pinned all my hopes on my softs.... I keep thinking that no news is good news (although I'm really not holding my breath), but I keep wondering at what point does no news turn into bad news?

I think we reached that point on the 8th of March :(

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I applied in early January, never got a JR1 e-mail, got the complete e-mail about a month ago, but have yet to be rejected. I keep thinking that no news is good news, at Harvard as well as Yale and Stanford. But you guys are making it sound like they've given out most of their acceptances. My numbers are on the low end, so I figure every day I don't get a rejection is a good day. Is that the wrong way to look at it?

I've been wondering about this too. I applied in early December and figured my GPA would get me rejected fairly quickly. Other applicants with marginal numbers who applied/went complete later than I did have already been rejected on LSN, so I have no idea why I'm still under review. I haven't received a hold notification or any other communication from them since I submitted my app, and I can't think why they would wait to email me a form rejection letter. The only thing I can think of is that they somehow omitted my email address from the last mass rejection mailing. (Note: democrattotheend, I don't think the last part of my post applies to you, since judging by the numbers in your profile you have a much better shot at HLS than I ever would.)

I'm in the same boat as you guys. My numbers are relatively low, I've been pinned all my hopes on my softs.... I keep thinking that no news is good news (although I'm really not holding my breath), but I keep wondering at what point does no news turn into bad news?

After the deposit deadline. :wink:

One quick question -- does anyone know if Harvard places more emphasis on LORs if the writer is connected to Harvard in some way? One of my recommenders got his PhD from Harvard and I wonder if that affected how they evaluated that letter, and by extension how they evaluated my application. (I'm kind of grasping at straws to figure out why I haven't been rejected yet.)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 am

blue5385 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

After the deposit deadline. :wink:

One quick question -- does anyone know if Harvard places more emphasis on LORs if the writer is connected to Harvard in some way? One of my recommenders got his PhD from Harvard and I wonder if that affected how they evaluated that letter, and by extension how they evaluated my application. (I'm kind of grasping at straws to figure out why I haven't been rejected yet.)

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that they do weight LOR connections to non-law school Harvard significantly. One of my recommenders used to be a philosophy professor there and still lectures occasionally.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 pm

There has been a rejection posted today. :?
http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:There has been a rejection posted today. :?

Movement is good right?!?

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm

I was spoiled by the quick responses from NYU and Columbia... Been waiting for 1.5 months with no word. I understand that there are a lot of people on here that have been waiting longer, so I am not looking to get into a pissing match. I just want to know if there is a time frame where I should send an unsolicited LOCI, or is the accepted wisdom to wait until they contact me first (WL, hold, etc.)? Thanks!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 pm

invisiblesun wrote:

Or they got to the part of the pile with this application and decided that a 150 LSAT just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't take it as a sure sign that we'll see more action today.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 pm

clintonius wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Or they got to the part of the pile with this application and decided that a 150 LSAT just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't take it as a sure sign that we'll see more action today.

Yeah...I was all excited at the prospect of some movement until I went on LSN and saw the person had a 3.2/150. They did take a pretty long time to reject him considering he has auto-reject stats though, so maybe that means they really do put time into reviewing apps thoroughly before making a decision instead of just taking a cursory glance at the numbers (I would really like to believe so, anyway :) ).

red 2010

Postby red 2010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm

dsfasdfsdaf
Last edited by red 2010 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:44 pm

red 2010 wrote:When is the deposit deadline for Harvard?

Thanks.

most deadlines like the deposit = May 1

some things like health/immunization records = July 1

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:44 pm

May 1, 2010
red 2010 wrote:When is the deposit deadline for Harvard?

Thanks.

questions

Postby questions » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Are there any remaining Admitted Students Weekends? Perhaps one in late March or April?

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 pm

questions wrote:Are there any remaining Admitted Students Weekends? Perhaps one in late March or April?

April 10-12 :)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Is HLS site down for anyone else?

Zara

Postby Zara » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

seems to be working fine for me.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Zara wrote:seems to be working fine for me.

Not working at all for me... I am talking about the status checker..

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Unitas wrote:

My status checker works fine.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:44 pm

crackberry wrote:
Unitas wrote:

My status checker works fine.

[strike]Odd, I can't even load the HLS link from their application e-mail.. I'll figure it out in the morning.[/strike]

Dunno what happened last night, works fine now..

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 pm

hls office on vacation?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:29 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:hls office on vacation?

Of course not. Hard at work ensuring that each applicant receives fair and thorough consideration.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Held just now. Can someone please explain the point of a hold this late in the cycle? Why not just wait a few weeks & WL?

With that being said, I'm kind of flattered that they didn't just straight-up reject me. I guess I will start working on my LOCI.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:39 pm

blue5385 wrote:Held just now. Can someone please explain the point of a hold this late in the cycle? Why not just wait a few weeks & WL?

With that being said, I'm kind of flattered that they didn't just straight-up reject me. I guess I will start working on my LOCI.

via email?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:39 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Held just now. Can someone please explain the point of a hold this late in the cycle? Why not just wait a few weeks & WL?

via email?

Yup.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm

blue5385 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:

via email?

Yup.

Wow, I really thought I would be in the last waves of holds, yet more waves a month after my hold.. To keep holding people this late is very strange indeed... Sadly, I think we should just start referring to holds as WLs.... I haven't heard anything since sending in my LOCI and LOR. I was hoping it would overcome any apprehension they had about my application and believe it would have. I couldn't have done anymore than I did. So now I am figuring they may just not have room at the moment, and they are hoping some people withdraw so they can let a few in. The Hold list is probably longer than the admitted list at this point.

FYI, I believe all communication besides admit is through e-mail.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

blue5385 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:

via email?

Yup.

when did you apply/go complete?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”