Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcm814
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby mcm814 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am

This is possibly really stupid, but where do you email/mail a LOCI? Do you just send it to the jdadmiss email/address?

And are there any thoughts on which is better?

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 am

Kakarot wrote:
georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
CG614 wrote:Any new JR 1 e-mails today? Let the waiting know!


I think people are keeping their JR1s under wraps until they get a JR2 at this point.


really? why? i think hls is still big enough that anonymity is preserved. unless they think there's shame in being a jr1-no-jr2? :(


Now that jr1s are pretty rare it would be very easy for an adcomm from HLS to notice who said they got a JR1 and compare it to post history to figure out who that person is. Unlike in the past when huge batches went out and it would be really hard to tell who was who. In addition to that, it would be even easier for them to tell who was held then JR1.

Given it appears they have an overabundance of qualified applications they are looking for reasons to WL or reject applicants more than they are looking for reasons to accept... For some their post history may give them a reason to WL or reject. Thus people are more inclinded to keep the information private now then in the past..


Sorry, but this sounds absurd.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby violaboy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 am

Sigh, hoping for some JR1 emails. What time do they usually come out?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:I think people are keeping their JR1s under wraps until they get a JR2 at this point.


really? why? i think hls is still big enough that anonymity is preserved. unless they think there's shame in being a jr1-no-jr2? :(


Now that jr1s are pretty rare it would be very easy for an adcomm from HLS to notice who said they got a JR1 and compare it to post history to figure out who that person is. Unlike in the past when huge batches went out and it would be really hard to tell who was who. In addition to that, it would be even easier for them to tell who was held then JR1.

Given it appears they have an overabundance of qualified applications they are looking for reasons to WL or reject applicants more than they are looking for reasons to accept... For some their post history may give them a reason to WL or reject. Thus people are more inclinded to keep the information private now then in the past..


Sorry, but this sounds absurd.


Eh, it's just a theory of why people don't post their JR1's now. But why does it sound absurd?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CG614 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am

Kakarot wrote:
Eh, it's just a theory of why people don't post their JR1's now. But why does it sound absurd?


Because it is highly unlikely that the Adcoms will take time to try and match a name to a profile on TLS, let alone make a decision based on that assumption.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am

CG614 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Eh, it's just a theory of why people don't post their JR1's now. But why does it sound absurd?


Because it is highly unlikely that the Adcoms will take time to try and match a name to a profile on TLS, let alone make a decision based on that assumption.

The only school where this is even remotely possible is Yale, and I don't even think Asha does it to a great extent. Really, it's a waste of time.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:50 am

CG614 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Eh, it's just a theory of why people don't post their JR1's now. But why does it sound absurd?


Because it is highly unlikely that the Adcoms will take time to try and match a name to a profile on TLS, let alone make a decision based on that assumption.


True, but my theory is not about adcoms. It is about why people who get a JR1 this late would/may not post it. Irrational fear is as strong as rational fear, possibly stronger.

I probably should have wrote it out better.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CG614 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 am

Kakarot wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Eh, it's just a theory of why people don't post their JR1's now. But why does it sound absurd?


Because it is highly unlikely that the Adcoms will take time to try and match a name to a profile on TLS, let alone make a decision based on that assumption.


True, but my theory is not about adcoms. It is about why people who get a JR1 this late would/may not post it. Irrational fear is as strong as rational fear, possibly stronger.

I probably should have wrote it out better.

I don't know, your post sounds pretty much like a theory about adcoms. Regardless, I think the frequency of JR1s has decreased, thus causing the lack of posts. Hopefully I will be able to post about one today! :-D

Those that did get JR1s, about what time in the day did you get them?

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:00 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:I think people are keeping their JR1s under wraps until they get a JR2 at this point.


Now that jr1s are pretty rare it would be very easy for an adcomm from HLS to notice who said they got a JR1 and compare it to post history to figure out who that person is. Unlike in the past when huge batches went out and it would be really hard to tell who was who. In addition to that, it would be even easier for them to tell who was held then JR1.

Given it appears they have an overabundance of qualified applications they are looking for reasons to WL or reject applicants more than they are looking for reasons to accept... For some their post history may give them a reason to WL or reject. Thus people are more inclinded to keep the information private now then in the past..


Sorry, but this sounds absurd.


Eh, it's just a theory of why people don't post their JR1's now. But why does it sound absurd?


what everyone else said. and you're also assuming that people have an irrational fear about adcomms sifting through their posts.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:41 pm

No movement for a week based on TLS. Maybe they're waiting until later in the work day? It's really hard to say, and I hate to be gloomy, but the closer we get to April 1st the more likely it is that we're toast (and by toast I mean probably waitlisted). An HLS acceptance would make my year, especially since I would love to be able to defer it and take a year off to go into LS super prepared and mentally ready...and everything I've heard says that you can't do that off of the waitlist. Not sure how strict about that they are, though.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Also, sorry to double post, but I absolutely hate seeing that I have a new e-mail and finding out it is either:
a) a "hilarious" youtube video
b) junk from companies such as Omaha Steaks or Pampers (i have no clue how i got on these lists)
c) JD Admissions (!!!) at Minnesota Law School....."hey you have a fee waiver, you should apply"


GAH

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:what everyone else said. and you're also assuming that people have an irrational fear about adcomms sifting through their posts.


eh not that irrational since we know it happens. that being said, it is certainly unlikely...i guess the mindset is it could only hurt them (even if it is a 1% chance) but certainly not help them. but then again, this is assuming anything a person posts online hurts them hahaha.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby clintonius » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:32 pm

invisiblesun wrote:Also, sorry to double post, but I absolutely hate seeing that I have a new e-mail and finding out it is either:
a) a "hilarious" youtube video
b) junk from companies such as Omaha Steaks or Pampers (i have no clue how i got on these lists)
c) JD Admissions (!!!) at Minnesota Law School....."hey you have a fee waiver, you should apply"


GAH

Urgh, yes, NYU about made me crap my pants the other day when their admissions office sent out notification of their new blog. There should be some sort of rule against that.

gatordude94
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gatordude94 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Those that did get JR1s, about what time in the day did you get them?[/quote]

Around 3pm

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:53 pm

clintonius wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Also, sorry to double post, but I absolutely hate seeing that I have a new e-mail and finding out it is either:
a) a "hilarious" youtube video
b) junk from companies such as Omaha Steaks or Pampers (i have no clue how i got on these lists)
c) JD Admissions (!!!) at Minnesota Law School....."hey you have a fee waiver, you should apply"


GAH

Urgh, yes, NYU about made me crap my pants the other day when their admissions office sent out notification of their new blog. There should be some sort of rule against that.


Did anyone hear about that time when Berkeley accidentally sent out acceptance e-mails to EVERYBODY who was under consideration at the point? It was followed by another e-mail saying that it was a mistake. I think this happened in 2006. Can you imagine that happening if Berkeley were your dream school and then you got those two e-mails?

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:22 pm

someone who gatordude didn't quote correctly wrote:Those that did get JR1s, about what time in the day did you get them?
gatordude94 wrote:Around 3pm


Well, 3pm, and nothing but crickets.
Last edited by invisiblesun on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
gatordude94 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Those that did get JR1s, about what time in the day did you get them?


Around 3pm


Well, 3pm, and nothing but crickets.


Are we assuming JR1 emails when you say "JR1"? If it's the email asking to set it up, then it was in the morning for me; if it's the actual interview, it's scheduled throughout the day and seems to be mostly the afternoon.
Last edited by ConMan345 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:28 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
gatordude94 wrote:Those that did get JR1s, about what time in the day did you get them?
Around 3pm


Well, 3pm, and nothing but crickets.


Are we assuming JR1 emails when you say "JR1"? If it's the email asking to set it up, then it was in the morning for me; if it's the actual interview, it's scheduled throughout the day and seems to be mostly the afternoon.


Yeah, assuming JR1 e-mails. In that case, it looks like there won't be any new JR1 e-mails this week...

edited for quote fail

gatordude94
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gatordude94 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Ha, apologies for careless quote editing.

My JR1 email came around 3pm and the actual interview was at 10:45am. The email gives a one hour range.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 pm

I applied in early January, never got a JR1 e-mail, got the complete e-mail about a month ago, but have yet to be rejected. I keep thinking that no news is good news, at Harvard as well as Yale and Stanford. But you guys are making it sound like they've given out most of their acceptances. My numbers are on the low end, so I figure every day I don't get a rejection is a good day. Is that the wrong way to look at it?

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gymboree » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:25 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
clintonius wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Also, sorry to double post, but I absolutely hate seeing that I have a new e-mail and finding out it is either:
a) a "hilarious" youtube video
b) junk from companies such as Omaha Steaks or Pampers (i have no clue how i got on these lists)
c) JD Admissions (!!!) at Minnesota Law School....."hey you have a fee waiver, you should apply"


GAH

Urgh, yes, NYU about made me crap my pants the other day when their admissions office sent out notification of their new blog. There should be some sort of rule against that.


Did anyone hear about that time when Berkeley accidentally sent out acceptance e-mails to EVERYBODY who was under consideration at the point? It was followed by another e-mail saying that it was a mistake. I think this happened in 2006. Can you imagine that happening if Berkeley were your dream school and then you got those two e-mails?


Something like this happens every year, it seems.

This year is was Wake Forest sending out fakeout full scholarships: --LinkRemoved--

Last year it was UNC sending out fakeout acceptance emails to 200+ students: --LinkRemoved--

It happens.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby blue5385 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:30 am

democrattotheend wrote:I applied in early January, never got a JR1 e-mail, got the complete e-mail about a month ago, but have yet to be rejected. I keep thinking that no news is good news, at Harvard as well as Yale and Stanford. But you guys are making it sound like they've given out most of their acceptances. My numbers are on the low end, so I figure every day I don't get a rejection is a good day. Is that the wrong way to look at it?


I've been wondering about this too. I applied in early December and figured my GPA would get me rejected fairly quickly. Other applicants with marginal numbers who applied/went complete later than I did have already been rejected on LSN, so I have no idea why I'm still under review. I haven't received a hold notification or any other communication from them since I submitted my app, and I can't think why they would wait to email me a form rejection letter. The only thing I can think of is that they somehow omitted my email address from the last mass rejection mailing. (Note: democrattotheend, I don't think the last part of my post applies to you, since judging by the numbers in your profile you have a much better shot at HLS than I ever would.)

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:49 am

Was gone all week for spring break with no internet, what did I miss?

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby $1.99 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:25 am

you missed nothing except that someone here calculated that there are 11 lsn admits left before the waitlist begins lol

User avatar
>insert witty name<
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby >insert witty name< » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:56 pm

blue5385 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I applied in early January, never got a JR1 e-mail, got the complete e-mail about a month ago, but have yet to be rejected. I keep thinking that no news is good news, at Harvard as well as Yale and Stanford. But you guys are making it sound like they've given out most of their acceptances. My numbers are on the low end, so I figure every day I don't get a rejection is a good day. Is that the wrong way to look at it?


I've been wondering about this too. I applied in early December and figured my GPA would get me rejected fairly quickly. Other applicants with marginal numbers who applied/went complete later than I did have already been rejected on LSN, so I have no idea why I'm still under review. I haven't received a hold notification or any other communication from them since I submitted my app, and I can't think why they would wait to email me a form rejection letter. The only thing I can think of is that they somehow omitted my email address from the last mass rejection mailing. (Note: democrattotheend, I don't think the last part of my post applies to you, since judging by the numbers in your profile you have a much better shot at HLS than I ever would.)




I'm in the same boat as you guys. My numbers are relatively low, I've been pinned all my hopes on my softs.... I keep thinking that no news is good news (although I'm really not holding my breath), but I keep wondering at what point does no news turn into bad news?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”