Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgina

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm

MTC87 wrote:
Illijah wrote:Whats the general opinion on sending both a written and emailed LOCI's simultaneously?

no general opinion. some do it, some think it's weird. like, would you address in your email that a written letter has also been sent by postal mail? seems like that would throw off the flow of the letter. postal mail really doesn't take very long these days.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
georgina wrote:
Kronk wrote:I think we'll probably see a bunch of 179 / 3.4 admits, fwiw.

agreed! i'm counting on a splitter batch.

+180

I dunno it seems like the 3.75, 177-179 is closer to a splitter for H this year.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

pleeeeeease let this be close to the truth :D

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 pm

why do you think this? Because the GPA quartiles are crazy high right now?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Kronk wrote:I think we'll probably see [strike]a bunch of 179 / 3.4 admits, fwiw.[/strike] a single 3.9/170 gay admit

:D

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 pm

im looking for a 176/4.1 ORM (over represented minority :D ) admit

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:I think we'll probably see [strike]a bunch of 179 / 3.4 admits, fwiw.[/strike] a single 3.9/170 gay admit

:D

*sends pro-Kretzy vibes to JR*

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 pm

MTC87 wrote:
Illijah wrote:Whats the general opinion on sending both a written and emailed LOCI's simultaneously?

I asked over the phone and was told one (in my case email) is enough. It was said in a manner that'd suggest sending both would not be a good idea.

zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

I was put on hold not too long ago. I'm thinking of sending a LOCI, but I really have nothing to say. FML.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:10 am

adameus wrote:

I was just kidding with a poaster here I know that has those numbers. Honestly I haven't contributed anything of value to this forum in like four weeks.

cincinnatus

Postby cincinnatus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:11 am

Hello everyone! This is my first post :) There is nobody where I live to share the anxiety of this process so I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences here.

I got an e-mail for my Harvard phone interview much more quickly than I would have anticipated (before my app was complete) but I haven't heard anything in the two weeks since then. I think there have been about two waves of admissions since then, including students who interviewed the same day as I did.

It makes me feel like my application was interesting enough to merit an interview, but my interview was bad enough to make them wonder, "Do we really want this guy?" If I were to get a hold at this point (when they have been admitting formerly held students), would that be pretty much the same as a rejection for me?

Incidentally, my numbers are 3.99/172. My LSN profile also uses "cincinnatus" :) Congratulations to those who have been admitted so far, and good luck for all of us who are still worrying.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:23 am

cincinnatus wrote:Hello everyone! This is my first post :) There is nobody where I live to share the anxiety of this process so I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences here.

I got an e-mail for my Harvard phone interview much more quickly than I would have anticipated (before my app was complete) but I haven't heard anything in the two weeks since then. I think there have been about two waves of admissions since then, including students who interviewed the same day as I did.

It makes me feel like my application was interesting enough to merit an interview, but my interview was bad enough to make them wonder, "Do we really want this guy?" If I were to get a hold at this point (when they have been admitting formerly held students), would that be pretty much the same as a rejection for me?

Incidentally, my numbers are 3.99/172. My LSN profile also uses "cincinnatus" :) Congratulations to those who have been admitted so far, and good luck for all of us who are still worrying.

Your question is fairer than a lot that have been asked, and you've clearly actually read a lot of the thread, but I wish people would stop asking if one thing means something else. People have been asking if going complete before phone interview means they're rejected, going complete after phone interview means rejected, being held means rejected, being held means waitlisted, not hearing anything for a month means rejected, etc. You'll know you've been rejected if you get rejected. If you get a hold at this point it will mean that your application is being put off for a decision later and nobody here can really tell you how that will turn out, particularly in this year with a new admissions dean.

cincinnatus

Postby cincinnatus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:40 am

Fair enough. Such posts, mine included, mostly amount to worry-inspired hoping for people to reassure us. We know that nobody else really has a better idea than we do, but there is a false sense of security in being reassured by a confident stranger.

Although I wouldn't have minded some conjecture, I do appreciate your honesty :)

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 am

cincinnatus wrote:Hello everyone! This is my first post :) There is nobody where I live to share the anxiety of this process so I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences here.

for what it's worth jr doesn't always call the first week or so after the jr1 even if he is going to admit you. Englawyer and I both missed the calls that went out for our jr1 group and we both got the jr2 a week or two later. Also my stats are almost identical to yours: 4.0/172. so try not to worry and good luck!

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:05 am

cincinnatus wrote:Fair enough. Such posts, mine included, mostly amount to worry-inspired hoping for people to reassure us. We know that nobody else really has a better idea than we do, but there is a false sense of security in being reassured by a confident stranger.

Although I wouldn't have minded some conjecture, I do appreciate your honesty :)

Welllllll, with that said... I'm thinking and hoping that JR has a giant pile of people with good numbers from whom he is going to choose soon, so just sit tight until he starts sending waitlists out. At worst you'll be waitlisted, I think.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:10 am

Kronk wrote:
adameus wrote:

I was just kidding with a poaster here I know that has those numbers. Honestly I haven't contributed anything of value [strike]to this forum in like four weeks[/strike] since i've joined tls.

ftfy bro

but good luck nevertheless dude

Core

Postby Core » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:21 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
cincinnatus wrote:Fair enough. Such posts, mine included, mostly amount to worry-inspired hoping for people to reassure us. We know that nobody else really has a better idea than we do, but there is a false sense of security in being reassured by a confident stranger.

Welllllll, with that said... I'm thinking and hoping that JR has a giant pile of people with good numbers from whom he is going to choose soon, so just sit tight until he starts sending waitlists out. At worst you'll be waitlisted, I think.

There are a couple waitlists on LSN. Those are probably just holds, though.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 am

Core wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

There are a couple waitlists on LSN. Those are probably just holds, though.

they are holds.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:
adameus wrote:

I was just kidding with a poaster here I know that has those numbers. Honestly I haven't contributed anything of value [strike]to this forum in like four weeks[/strike] since i've joined tls.

ftfy bro

Damn, you beat me to it.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:
adameus wrote:

ftfy bro

Word. Even I've made more substantive contributions to this forum than that punk-bitch Kronk.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 am

Any new JR 1 e-mails today? Let the waiting know!

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 am

CG614 wrote:Any new JR 1 e-mails today? Let the waiting know!

I think people are keeping their JR1s under wraps until they get a JR2 at this point. Is the consensus that they come out on fridays?

georgina

Postby georgina » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:

I think people are keeping their JR1s under wraps until they get a JR2 at this point.

really? why? i think hls is still big enough that anonymity is preserved. unless they think there's shame in being a jr1-no-jr2? :(

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:48 am

georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

I think people are keeping their JR1s under wraps until they get a JR2 at this point.

really? why? i think hls is still big enough that anonymity is preserved. unless they think there's shame in being a jr1-no-jr2? :(

well, I just haven't seen many "I just got a JR1 email" post in quite some months.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:09 am

georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

Now that jr1s are pretty rare it would be very easy for an adcomm from HLS to notice who said they got a JR1 and compare it to post history to figure out who that person is. Unlike in the past when huge batches went out and it would be really hard to tell who was who. In addition to that, it would be even easier for them to tell who was held then JR1.

Given it appears they have an overabundance of qualified applications they are looking for reasons to WL or reject applicants more than they are looking for reasons to accept... For some their post history may give them a reason to WL or reject. Thus people are more inclinded to keep the information private now then in the past..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”