Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goreman

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby goreman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 am

Just got JR2 on Friday as well via email. So happy!

I applied in early October, held in late January, had my JR1 this past wednesday, and JR2 Friday. Getting the JR1 itself was quite a shocker. Getting JR2 only two days later was also surprising.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Sogui wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
starr126 wrote:any jr1s today?? i'm still in the haven't-heard-anything-at-all club.

I haven't seen any, and as far as I can tell, no. I'm in the held with no JR1 club, and although it's getting late in the cycle, I figure I shouldn't panic until Hold -> JR1s start happening and I'm excluded. For now, it seems like JR and the HLS Adcomms are moving through apps in a categorical fashion- I don't think all hope is lost for held applicants who haven't heard anything, because there will definitely be some new JR1s (as he said in his blog post, JR1 -> hold vs hold had to do more with the timeline than anything). Now if new JR1s start flowing and you're not included...then it's sad face time...

In the last 2 weeks they've hit up at least 5 holds here on TLS with JR1 action.

Well, shucks then. My new rationalization is that it's because of my app being held until the Feb. LSAT results.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:17 am

do adcomms work during spring break?

junelsat

Postby junelsat » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:31 pm

So how long after going UR should I expect to hear something (UR 3/9)? I'm not going to get in, but I'm just curious.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

junelsat wrote:So how long after going UR should I expect to hear something (UR 3/9)? I'm not going to get in, but I'm just curious.

so late in the cycle its hard to say. they don't seem to be working on the same standard 'rolling admissions' framework that they follow between mid-november and early-february.

dream

Postby dream » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 am

Congrats cflames7!!!

I just wanted to say good luck everyone! I hope lots of calls go out today! :D

tony127

Postby tony127 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 am

Held today. JR1 in January. 3.9x and 171.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:55 am

tony127 wrote:Held today. JR1 in January. 3.9x and 171.

Sorry bout that. Come and join the Held Club!

FTDons

Postby FTDons » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am

junelsat wrote:So how long after going UR should I expect to hear something (UR 3/9)? I'm not going to get in, but I'm just curious.

Also UR 3/9, sent 1/27, nothing yet

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Is it fair to say that a hold this late in the game is tantamount to a waitlist?

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:18 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Is it fair to say that a hold this late in the game is tantamount to a waitlist?

Probably? Pure speculation, though. A hold, in general, probably means a waitlist.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:20 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Is it fair to say that a hold this late in the game is tantamount to a waitlist?

that's my thoughts, but I'm sure you'll find some other opinions.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Held today. Man is that a late hold. And I don't get why you think a hold at this point is tantamount to a waitlist. They're different things.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Held today. Man is that a late hold. And I don't get why you think a hold at this point is tantamount to a waitlist. They're different things.

They're definitely different things, but a hold will probably lead to an eventual waitlist. Especially this late in the game.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Held today. Man is that a late hold. And I don't get why you think a hold at this point is tantamount to a waitlist. They're different things.

damn, Coalto, sorry to hear that, was pulling for you.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm

violaboy wrote:

They're definitely different things, but a hold will probably lead to an eventual waitlist. Especially this late in the game.

maybe that is an overly pessimistic assessment? has H begun waitlisting people, because if so, he/she receiving a hold rather than a striaight WL probably begins to look better.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm

violaboy wrote:

I think there will likely be some admits for noJR1 people that got held back in January or February (maybe me!) but yea, holds given out in mid-march don't seem much different than a promissory note for the waitlist.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:24 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
violaboy wrote:

I think there will likely be some admits for noJR1 people that got held back in January or February (maybe me!) but yea, holds given out in mid-march don't seem much different than a promissory note for the waitlist.

I'm not saying I'm not likely to be waitlisted, but I disagree. A hold at this point means they're taking more time to look at my and other applications. If I get waitlisted I get waitlisted, but all this is is a deferral of his decision and an opportunity to write about the volunteering and the other cool activities I've been doing. And thank you, owhlcn.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:26 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
violaboy wrote:

i retyped this message 3 times while i was thinking about what these holds mean, but my final thought is, maybe they're still doing march holds because they are planning on at least one more huge acceptance batch before WL's come out! i am hopeful.

Postby 4815162342 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 pm

georgina wrote:
i retyped this message 3 times while i was thinking about what these holds mean, but my final thought is, maybe they're still doing march holds because they are planning on at least one more huge acceptance batch before WL's come out! i am hopeful.

Yeah, there has to be a legitimate difference between a late hold and a waitlist. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just send people to the waitlist now? By definition, a hold is still in consideration before the cycle ends (deposit day). However, being put on hold this late does make your likelihood of eventually ending up on the waitlist greater than an earlier hold would have, just because there is less time to get accepted.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm

No one has been WLed at Harvard yet. I think hold pretty much = WL at this point.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
violaboy wrote:

maybe that is an overly pessimistic assessment? has H begun waitlisting people, because if so, he/she receiving a hold rather than a striaight WL probably begins to look better.

H hasn't begun a waitlist. And perhaps they want to look at the file better. I've probably become pessimistic because my file has been under review since September.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Sorry to hear that, and weird that they're holding people so late, especially someone who applied a while ago like you. I mean, I could imagine someone like myself or a January applicant getting held now, but a pre-Winter Break applicant? Just crazy.

Still no hold here. And no rejection. And no JR1. *sigh*
Last edited by BenJ on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 pm

I think people are forgetting the sheer volume of applicants HLS receives. It's possible that when they like an applicant but are not sure, they don't have the time to really mull it over. Instead they continue on to the next applicant. Then they parse through the holds and make an A/R/WL/H decision. Then they will continue to go back and look at the increasingly shrinking group of holds, looking at what numbers, softs, diversity factors they need, until each one receives a decision by mid-April or even May.

Just a thought.

starr126

Postby starr126 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 pm

BenJ wrote:

Sorry to hear that, and weird that they're holding people so late, especially someone who applied a while ago like you. I mean, I could imagine someone like myself or a January applicant getting held now, but a pre-Winter Break applicant? Just crazy.

Still no hold here. And no rejection. And no JR1. *sigh*

+1. i went through my entire spam folder today hoping i had maybe missed the jr1 email. alas.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”