Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawgod

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby lawgod » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 pm

what is the harvard protocol regarding loci. Applied 12/18. Complete and JR1 end of January. Nothing since.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 pm

its usually better to send it in after a hold or waitlist, you got a jr1 in 2010 so you are good

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
crackberry wrote:
AdmiralNelson wrote:Can I ask for some very quick advice?

I went complete at Harvard a little more than a month ago. No correspondence since. No rejection, no JR.

Since then, I've acquired some really valuable work experience and have seriously strengthened my resume. I want to mail my updated resume to HLS asap, but I'm not sure where they currently are in their review of my file. When I send this baby over, would it be over the top to include a short, Harvard-specific LOCI/cover letter hybrid explaining the situation? Or even an additional LOR that I may be able to secure from my new boss? How much is too much for this kind of last minute update?

Thanks to anyone with an opinion!

out of curiosity, can you expand on how exactly one picks up "some really valuable work experience" within a month?

i'm not calling you here, i'm just thinking you might want to write your loci about something else

If you had a GPA anywhere near Harvard's 25th, you wouldn't have to ask such an inane question.

:lol:

i mean, fair enough. i guess i just realized that not everyone is prestigious enough to work at a baller investment bank, where a couple weeks is long enough to structure earth shattering, economy shaking m&a deals.

i was trying to be considerate of my less impressive peers with sub-170 lsat scores and such. you should thank me.

As a former ibanker... good God, I hope you're kidding.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 am

legalnoeagle wrote:As a former ibanker... good God, I hope you're kidding.

He is ... sort of.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 am

crackberry wrote:

He is ... sort of.

Well, assuming he isn't, I imagine he was either a first year analyst or summer analyst when the proverbial shit started hitting the fan. I staffed the likes of his rank, and would have never, EVER considered entrusting someone that junior with as much responsibility as he claims to have been given--especially during that particular time. Same holds true for any other VP.

I'm sure his trips to the copy center were of the highest quality, though :wink:

weee

Postby weee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:48 am

Complete today, one step closer to dingtown

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

split22

Postby split22 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I've been under review for 10 days and got a complete email today (status checker still says UR).

Looking through TLS and LSN, it seems that there is no strong pattern of being offered a JR1 before or after the complete email, but I'd just like to confirm. Is it a bad sign that I got a complete email without a JR1?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:59 pm

split22 wrote:I've been under review for 10 days and got a complete email today (status checker still says UR).

Looking through TLS and LSN, it seems that there is no strong pattern of being offered a JR1 before or after the complete email, but I'd just like to confirm. Is it a bad sign that I got a complete email without a JR1?

you're talking to many people who have been under review since 2009 and still haven't received a JR1...

...watch yourself

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:
crackberry wrote:

He is ... sort of.

Well, assuming he isn't, I imagine he was either a first year analyst or summer analyst when the proverbial shit started hitting the fan. I staffed the likes of his rank, and would have never, EVER considered entrusting someone that junior with as much responsibility as he claims to have been given--especially during that particular time. Same holds true for any other VP.

I'm sure his trips to the copy center were of the highest quality, though :wink:

hahaha.

while you're right about my having to do plenty of inane, useless busywork, i also got to build models and do complex valuations. i'd say i learned alot, frankly.

but seriously, i was messing around.

Oh yeah... so much bitch work we've done (and will soon subject ourselves to as corporate lawyers). Sad.

Welp, congrats to all the recent admits--not that you care about congrats from an anonymous internet poster/soon-to-be reject, anyway.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:50 pm

split22 wrote:I've been under review for 10 days and got a complete email today (status checker still says UR).

Earlier in the cycle, it wasn't a great sign.

Most strong applicants would get a JR1 email before they went complete, if you went complete without anything from JR1 it wasn't a great sign, but you weren't dead yet.

Now all bets are off. JR1 still contacts auto-admits/super-interesting applicants within a week to 10 days of going UR, but there are plenty of us sitting here without anything, and plenty more who hadn't heard anything for weeks and got their JR1 or JR2 out of the blue, especially students with HOLDS lately.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:36 pm

JR 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P :P :P :P

Best Friday ever. Hope everyone who is waiting gets their call today!

janer

Postby janer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:45 pm

cflames7 wrote:JR 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Are you going to take Harvard over the Levy at Penn?

portena

Postby portena » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Held after a Jan 20 JR1. Pretty bummed.

georgina

Postby georgina » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

congrats!! :D

did you send in LOCI and/or new LOR after being held?

questions

Postby questions » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 pm

asdfasdf
Last edited by questions on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivorynightfall

Postby ivorynightfall » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 pm

portena wrote:Held after a Jan 20 JR1. Pretty bummed.

Same here. And again, same JR1 date too.

I was wondering -

Isn't a JR1 --> Hold this late in the game basically equivalent to a waitlist? How is a hold different from a waitlist in the first place, other than timing?

If you got held earlier on, its more like they haven't assembled the class yet and are waiting to see how things will shape up before admitting you. It's like a reserve pool, so there's much more movement in the hold pile than on a waitlist, because I guess they're waiting for someone similar who is more auto-admit than you to apply.

But once you get to March, there won't be any more applications and they've basically made read through all the applications anyway, so the idea of the hold pile as a reserve list with greater movement than a waitlist makes less sense. At this point its more like, "we'll wait and see if a similar person with better numbers/softs withdraws and then admit you," which to me is basically equivalent to waitlist.

What do you guys think?

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:02 pm

janer wrote:

Congrats! Are you going to take Harvard over the Levy at Penn?

I am 98.75% sure I will take Harvard.

As a Canadian, Harvard makes way more sense.

1. I can't get Federal Stafford Loans - Harvard has their own institutional funding for international students
2. Lay prestige - one day I might want to come back to Canada to work or enter politics. A Harvard degree will carry me miles further than any other law degree just due to lay prestige.
3. It's Harvard!!! - Boston is fairly close to Canada too
4. I want to work internationally - Harvard will probably open a lot more doors in this respect due to its lay prestige

Plus, I think I might get some need-based aid... that would be nice!

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 pm

georgina wrote:

congrats!! :D

did you send in LOCI and/or new LOR after being held?

2 of each.

LOCI right away. I sent a second letter on Friday. I have deadlines with respect to scholarships from other law schools, so I used that as an opportunity to share with Harvard that I still wanted to study at Harvard. I told them I would be willing to give up these scholarships, but I needed to know for the scholarship deadlines (otherwise I would have to decide on my best available offer).

I also sent a LOR from my supervisor in Korea and had a professor at my UG unveristy send a letter of reference.

questions

Postby questions » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 pm

adsfasdf
Last edited by questions on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Hold -> JR1 is better than JR1-> Hold at this point in the cycle from what I understand

Hold -> JR1 means they are taking another look at your file and JR decides he likes what he sees

JR1 -> Hold means they've looked at your file, like what they saw, JR called you... but ultimately was indecisive about accepting you

The first option intuitively is a better turn of events than the second.

questions

Postby questions » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 pm

adsfadsf
Last edited by questions on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starr126

Postby starr126 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:35 pm

any jr1s today?? i'm still in the haven't-heard-anything-at-all club.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:52 pm

starr126 wrote:any jr1s today?? i'm still in the haven't-heard-anything-at-all club.

I haven't seen any, and as far as I can tell, no. I'm in the held with no JR1 club, and although it's getting late in the cycle, I figure I shouldn't panic until Hold -> JR1s start happening and I'm excluded. For now, it seems like JR and the HLS Adcomms are moving through apps in a categorical fashion- I don't think all hope is lost for held applicants who haven't heard anything, because there will definitely be some new JR1s (as he said in his blog post, JR1 -> hold vs hold had to do more with the timeline than anything). Now if new JR1s start flowing and you're not included...then it's sad face time...

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
starr126 wrote:any jr1s today?? i'm still in the haven't-heard-anything-at-all club.

I haven't seen any, and as far as I can tell, no. I'm in the held with no JR1 club, and although it's getting late in the cycle, I figure I shouldn't panic until Hold -> JR1s start happening and I'm excluded. For now, it seems like JR and the HLS Adcomms are moving through apps in a categorical fashion- I don't think all hope is lost for held applicants who haven't heard anything, because there will definitely be some new JR1s (as he said in his blog post, JR1 -> hold vs hold had to do more with the timeline than anything). Now if new JR1s start flowing and you're not included...then it's sad face time...

In the last 2 weeks they've hit up at least 5 holds here on TLS with JR1 action.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”