Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swimbrad

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby swimbrad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm

georgina wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
georgina wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:
I was complete on 11/20, held on 1/17, had my JR1 on 3/2, and got in today. Keep hope alive!

congrats! you totally set the new gpa floor. :D

subtly making fun of me, huh?

i can't really articulate my level of enthusiasm about not being dead last anymore. but trust me, this is awesome.

yup. i still aspire to be the non-URM gpa floor.

Rootin' for ya :)

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:02 pm

I can't wait for this application cycle to be over, I'm so tired of checking my email all the time.

C'mon Harvard, you know you love my personal statement

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Gah. Hourumd has me at ~95% and LSP has me at "Admit"....held Jan. and no JR1 yet...

le sigh

ivorynightfall

Postby ivorynightfall » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:23 pm

someones alt wrote:I can't wait for this application cycle to be over, I'm so tired of checking my email all the time.

Word.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:27 pm

invisiblesun wrote:Gah. Hourumd has me at ~95% and LSP has me at "Admit"....held Jan. and no JR1 yet...

le sigh

with your feb retake, i'm guessing? how much does hls factor in feb scores, anyhow?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

georgina wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Gah. Hourumd has me at ~95% and LSP has me at "Admit"....held Jan. and no JR1 yet...

le sigh

with your feb retake, i'm guessing? how much does hls factor in feb scores, anyhow?

I was told that my application would be held until the receipt of the new score, so either they want to consider it or they're just playing games with my heart... *emo*

I also don't see why they would consider feb scores any less, unless you're simply saying because it's late in the cycle.

AdmiralNelson

Postby AdmiralNelson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Can I ask for some very quick advice?

I went complete at Harvard a little more than a month ago. No correspondence since. No rejection, no JR.

Since then, I've acquired some really valuable work experience and have seriously strengthened my resume. I want to mail my updated resume to HLS asap, but I'm not sure where they currently are in their review of my file. When I send this baby over, would it be over the top to include a short, Harvard-specific LOCI/cover letter hybrid explaining the situation? Or even an additional LOR that I may be able to secure from my new boss? How much is too much for this kind of last minute update?

Thanks to anyone with an opinion!

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralNelson

Postby AdmiralNelson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote:Can I ask for some very quick advice?

I went complete at Harvard a little more than a month ago. No correspondence since. No rejection, no JR.

Since then, I've acquired some really valuable work experience and have seriously strengthened my resume. I want to mail my updated resume to HLS asap, but I'm not sure where they currently are in their review of my file. When I send this baby over, would it be over the top to include a short, Harvard-specific LOCI/cover letter hybrid explaining the situation? Or even an additional LOR that I may be able to secure from my new boss? How much is too much for this kind of last minute update?

out of curiosity, can you expand on how exactly one picks up "some really valuable work experience" within a month?

i'm not calling you here, i'm just thinking you might want to write your loci about something else

I've been gunning for increased responsibility at my Dean's Office for about a year and it finally paid off. I have been assigned a lead planning and coordinating role for a business law conference that will be held later this semester. Also, I've started assisting in research and file management for my boss' upcoming federal case. That's about the short of it.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:27 pm

out of curiosity, can you expand on how exactly one picks up "some really valuable work experience" within a month?

i'm not calling you here, i'm just thinking you might want to write your loci about something else

If you had a GPA anywhere near Harvard's 25th, you wouldn't have to ask such an inane question.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:28 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:33 pm

crackberry wrote:If you had a GPA anywhere near Harvard's 25th, you wouldn't have to ask such an inane question.

:lol:

i mean, fair enough. i guess i just realized that not everyone is prestigious enough to work at a baller ass investment bank, where a couple weeks is enough to structure earth shattering, economy shaking m&a deals.

i was trying to be considerate of my less impressive peers with sub-170 lsat scores and such. you should thank me.

A pleasure doing business with you, APNS.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:both you and kronk have done irreparable damage to my self-esteem over the course of this law school admissions cycle. i sincerely hope you guys are proud of yourselves.

I know I am. Can't speak for him, but I imagine he is similarly proud. He's not going to HYS though, so we got the last laugh.

AdmiralNelson

Postby AdmiralNelson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Any further takers? Sorry for the re-post, just full of frenetic energy and seeking good advice from you smart Harvard applicants.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote:

Any further takers? Sorry for the re-post, just full of frenetic energy and seeking good advice from you smart Harvard applicants.

Hmm what are your numbers? If they are near/above medians (admit range).. then i would just wait until you get accepted or held before updating and sending it all in as a LOCI. If H is more of a reach (one number below median or 25th) than I would get it out ASAP.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

crackberry wrote:
crackberry wrote:If you had a GPA anywhere near Harvard's 25th, you wouldn't have to ask such an inane question.

:lol:

i mean, fair enough. i guess i just realized that not everyone is prestigious enough to work at a baller ass investment bank, where a couple weeks is enough to structure earth shattering, economy shaking m&a deals.

i was trying to be considerate of my less impressive peers with sub-170 lsat scores and such. you should thank me.

A pleasure doing business with you, APNS.

Anyone else read this as "A Penis"?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

I know this isn't the thread for this, but I just got offered a deferred full ride (if I wait one year to attend they will give me $135k) at Northwestern. I would still take Harvard over Northwestern for sure, but now I'm not nearly as anxious about my cycle because I have at least one amazing option. Maybe now that I'm not as desperate for Harvard, Harvard will notice how relaxed and cool I am and let me in.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:01 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I know this isn't the thread for this, but I just got offered a deferred full ride (if I wait one year to attend they will give me $135k) at Northwestern. I would still take Harvard over Northwestern for sure, but now I'm not nearly as anxious about my cycle because I have at least one amazing option. Maybe now that I'm not as desperate for Harvard, Harvard will notice how relaxed and cool I am and let me in.

wow nice offer. congrats! do they require work experience or can you just party for a year?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:07 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I know this isn't the thread for this, but I just got offered a deferred full ride (if I wait one year to attend they will give me $135k) at Northwestern. I would still take Harvard over Northwestern for sure, but now I'm not nearly as anxious about my cycle because I have at least one amazing option. Maybe now that I'm not as desperate for Harvard, Harvard will notice how relaxed and cool I am and let me in.

What an incredibly cool offer. With a full-ride you can actually earn money in the upcoming year and not have it immediately get sucked into the gaping maw of the law school endowment. . .

IMHO this is almost better than a straight-up full ride.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:16 pm

englawyer wrote:

wow nice offer. congrats! do they require work experience or can you just party for a year?

The letter said that they would prefer I get work experience, but require no proof of what I did prior to matriculation, so I can do whatever I want, it sounds like. One of the best parts of this offer is that I don't have to put a deposit down until April 30th, and even then I don't have to withdraw my apps from other schools (if I read it correctly). So I can ride out the HYS waitlists all through the summer if I want, with no real stress. I'm really happy. Thanks, guys.

Edit: I do plan to work in politics though for that year if I end up taking this offer.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
englawyer wrote:

The letter said that they would prefer I get work experience, but require no proof of what I did prior to matriculation, so I can do whatever I want, it sounds like. One of the best parts of this offer is that I don't have to put a deposit down until April 30th, and even then I don't have to withdraw my apps from other schools (if I read it correctly). So I can ride out the HYS waitlists all through the summer if I want, with no real stress. I'm really happy. Thanks, guys.

Congratulations! Well deserved!

And btw, waitlisted at Penn and Virgina? Ok, I understand. Those are two premier TTT pieces of shit.

But rejected at Michigan?! WTF is Zearfoss smoking?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
englawyer wrote:

And btw, waitlisted at Penn and Virgina? Ok, I understand. Those are two premier TTT pieces of shit.

Most likely YP and/or neglected to write any Why Michigan essays? I've heard that those are critical for people with HYS numbers.

Btw, CoaltoNewCastle, we're quite close to being numbers twins, and I've been held without a JR1, so don't feel too bad. Hopefully HLS will have room for a couple more >75th LSATers with solid GPAs...

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
englawyer wrote:

Most likely YP and/or neglected to write any Why Michigan essays? I've heard that those are critical for people with HYS numbers.

Btw, CoaltoNewCastle, we're quite close to being numbers twins, and I've been held without a JR1, so don't feel too bad. Hopefully HLS will have room for a couple more >75th LSATers with solid GPAs...

Good to know, thank you. I hope so. And yeah, my Michigan app was pretty bad. I forced my 2.75 page diversity statement in where it didn't fit and didn't mention Michigan at all. Thank you, Herb!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 pm

crackberry wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:both you and kronk have done irreparable damage to my self-esteem over the course of this law school admissions cycle. i sincerely hope you guys are proud of yourselves.

I know I am. Can't speak for him, but I imagine he is similarly proud. He's not going to HYS though, so we got the last laugh.

tbf, I wouldn't accept being grandfathered in anyhow.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”