Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sogui

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Held today.

how did you find out?

Email. Status checker still shows UR but updated to 3/04.

I recall you had some really strong numbers, you never even got a JR1?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Sogui wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

how did you find out?

Email. Status checker still shows UR but updated to 3/04.

I recall you had some really strong numbers, you never even got a JR1?

Nope no JR1. I am happy that I heard something back after more than 3 months!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:07 am

mozhou7 wrote:
clintonius wrote:
mozhou7 wrote:My friend just got her JR1 e-mail today for a Weds interview. Her numbers are (4.0, 176 (from a mid 160 retake), submitted in mid Jan). It looks like the wheel is turning again.

Any idea when she submitted? Was she held prior to that e-mail?

RC FAIL

FFFFFF

In my defense, I was on nyquil and swimmy.

shut up.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 am

mozhou7 wrote:My friend just got her JR1 e-mail today for a Weds interview. Her numbers are (4.0, 176 (from a mid 160 retake), submitted in mid Jan). It looks like the wheel is turning again.

A very slow wheel that apparently is still grinding to a stop.

My hopes of a huge wave of JR1s dies a little more every day when it seems like they are just going out in tiny spurts.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 am

Sogui wrote:

A very slow wheel that apparently is still grinding to a stop.

My hopes of a huge wave of JR1s dies a little more every day when it seems like they are just going out in tiny spurts.

This, exacerbated by the continued holds.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Me too. I wasn't online yesterday, so I just found out.

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Are you guys feeling good about the holds? I'm not sure what to make of them this late in the cycle... its not like they have a bunch of more applicants to wait for.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Are you guys feeling good about the holds? I'm not sure what to make of them this late in the cycle... its not like they have a bunch of more applicants to wait for.

I'm feeling like many--probably most--of us will end up on a waitlist. That's just a guess, though.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Dignan wrote:
CanadianEH wrote:Are you guys feeling good about the holds? I'm not sure what to make of them this late in the cycle... its not like they have a bunch of more applicants to wait for.

I'm feeling like many--probably most--of us will end up on a waitlist. That's just a guess, though.

I'm thinking the same thing. It seemed like half the people at CLS's ASW had been held... that's just so many people.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Dignan wrote:

Another high stat hold without a JR1?

Urgg... I think this week is the week my hopes finally died. I've got decent stats but such a boring background, I'd consider it a miracle if I got the JR1 now.

Also my GPA just went up .01, time for an LOCI? :wink:

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 pm

^
were most of those no-JR1-holds? or did you meet a lot of JR1-holds?

i saw your nametag at the CLS registration, btw :D

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Sogui wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Urgg... I think this week is the week my hopes finally died. I've got decent stats but such a boring background, I'd consider it a miracle if I got the JR1 now.

If it makes you feel any better, Sogui, that LSAT score in my profile is a retake. (And it's 13 points higher than my first score.) If you read through the dozens of pages in this thread, you'll find that many of the ostensibly surprising holds are for people who had a low first LSAT score. I doubt that HLS strictly averages the scores, but it seems clear to me that they take a lower first score into account.

IIRC, your excellent LSAT score was from your first try. That favorably distinguishes you from some of us. Good luck!

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Amelie wrote:
Dignan wrote:

I'm thinking the same thing. It seemed like half the people at CLS's ASW had been held... that's just so many people.

really? well then again that sounds about right. as the hold pool is basically made up exclusively of people on the border of cls and hls. my previous estimate was that between 300-500 people were held for around 100 seats left (not including wl/admit seats). Looking at LSN there still are only around 110 admits vs 170ish last year (plus like 10 WL/admits). I'd be shocked if HLS had given out more than 700 admits so far and I'd be shocked if there were more than 500 holds. 1/5 isn't so bad and I think its more like 1/4.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 pm

or JR could be reading the above post and be snickering as he knows he has already given out 750 admissions and pities our disillusionment

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Amelie wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
were most of those no-JR1-holds? or did you meet a lot of JR1-holds?

i saw your nametag at the CLS registration, btw :D

Haha I didn't ask, it just sort of came up when people were talking about where else they were looking.

And I realized how easily identifiable I was while there (creepy lurker incident), so that's been fixed :wink:

That is creepy. I think there should be an unwritten rule about not calling out TLSers in public unless they choose to reveal themselves in person.

To be honest, there were a couple of times yesterday when I thought to myself "I wonder if that's X," but I think it would have been be a bit obnoxious to directly ask the person if they're really TomHobbes (or whomever) on TLS.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Dignan wrote:To be honest, there were a couple of times yesterday when I thought to myself "I wonder if that's X," but I think it would have been be a bit obnoxious to directly ask the person if they're really TomHobbes (or whomever) on TLS.

Blatant anti- (pro-?) tomhobbes trolling.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:To be honest, there were a couple of times yesterday when I thought to myself "I wonder if that's X," but I think it would have been be a bit obnoxious to directly ask the person if they're really TomHobbes (or whomever) on TLS.

dude, people are so easily identifiable irl its actually scary.

Through what? Mannerisms? Method of speaking? Sense of humor?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
crackberry wrote:

dude, people are so easily identifiable irl its actually scary.

Through what? Mannerisms? Method of speaking? Sense of humor?

Similarity to avatar, duh. I mean, you're obviously the guy with his hair styled into the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:06 pm

BenJ wrote:Similarity to avatar, duh. I mean, you're obviously the guy with his hair styled into the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge.

And you, good sir, are a kitten.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Dignan wrote:
Sogui wrote:
Dignan wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, Sogui, that LSAT score in my profile is a retake. (And it's 13 points higher than my first score.) If you read through the dozens of pages in this thread, you'll find that many of the ostensibly surprising holds are for people who had a low first LSAT score. I doubt that HLS strictly averages the scores, but it seems clear to me that they take a lower first score into account.

IIRC, your excellent LSAT score was from your first try. That favorably distinguishes you from some of us. Good luck!

Thanks for this - I've been lurking on this thread trying to get a better feel for my chances next year (median GPA, only one LSAT and its over 75th, so I should have a good shot), but the data out there can be a little misleading, so it is always appreciated when people explain their numbers or their application a little better. I'm not sure if I understand the rationale for even considering a data point 13 points below your high score - the low score clearly has nothing to do with intellectual ability - but the information is helpful and appreciated.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:22 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
BenJ wrote:Similarity to avatar, duh. I mean, you're obviously the guy with his hair styled into the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge.

"Mommy, when I grow up, I want to be a cat-lawyer."

"That's nice, dear."

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:30 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:

Yale-thread deja-vu.

If you see Ryan Reynolds (or now, Jon McLaughlin) at an ASW, it's not me, but I'd prefer you delay them so I can ogle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”