Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MTC87

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby MTC87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 am

brennanlives wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
crackberry wrote:I'd say if you were held and didn't materially change your app (new LSAT score, etc.) and got a JR1, you are almost guaranteed admission.

LOL you're joking right?

I think he's right; if they give you a JR1 after being held, they've decided to admit you and will only change their mind if the JR1 is truly awful. Crackberry's talking about people who were Held -> JR1 -> possible JR2, not people who were JR1 -> Held -> possible JR2.

i really, really hope so. all i can say is i feel REALLY shaky about my JR1 performance. i have never stuttered so much in my entire life. hopefully this doesn't constitute "truly awful."

i'm in the same boat as you dude -- had my JR1 after being held and i definitely feel like I bombed it. everything I said either sounded canned as hell or just plain rambly.

you know how after a big job interview or presentation you kinda fantasize about that perfect answer you should have given or about taking back something you shouldn't have said? yeah, it was like that for the next day or so, which is kinda sad considering i knew what all the questions were going to be.

dream

Postby dream » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 am

MTC87 wrote:

i'm in the same boat as you dude -- had my JR1 after being held and i definitely feel like I bombed it. everything I said either sounded canned as hell or just plain rambly.

you know how after a big job interview or presentation you kinda fantasize about that perfect answer you should have given or about taking back something you shouldn't have said? yeah, it was like that for the next day or so, which is kinda sad considering i knew what all the questions were going to be.

Congrats on your guys' JR1s!

But: "fantasize about that perfect answer"
the one you wrote up and practiced with your roommate the night before and the day of the interview? But then got too nervous and mis-interpreted the questions and blanked out unable to connect to the questions with the answers on the paper in front of you during the most important time?
:cry:
Ah, I need to find something very critical to do in my life to distract me...

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 am

Kulax22 wrote:
Zara wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:For those of us NOT in yet to HLS, what do we do about financial aid? Am I missing something?

The only things you can do before being admitted are FAFSA, Need Access, and collecting your parents W2's and tax papers if you are under 30.

You can't do anything else until after you are admitted because you need a login to do it. Harvard makes you fill out a form online and then it generates a personalized list of required documents.

Thanks. I'm trying to get this done, but is there some HLS deadline for those anyway? In other words - is this a case of "worry once you get in"?

There's no deadline even after you are admitted. The earlier you do it after being admitted, the sooner you'll get your award letter and i'm sure you'd want to have it done well before classes start, but there is no deadline. It is very much a "worry once you get in" situation. Hope that helps!

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 am

brennanlives wrote:
i really, really hope so. all i can say is i feel REALLY shaky about my JR1 performance. i have never stuttered so much in my entire life. hopefully this doesn't constitute "truly awful."

For you, a 3.9, 177 candidate, a truly awful phone interview would have consisted of you ignoring JR's questions and forcing him to listen to a 30 minute banjo exposition combined with free verse. And if your performance was half decent you would probably still get in. :D

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 am

Just got held. Nice to hear something, I guess (something other than a rejection). I have to say I'm surprised they're still holding people a month after the application deadline, but at least I can get going on a LOCI etc now.

Anyway, off to NYU ASW. Good luck everyone

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
crackberry wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:JR1 yesterday. It lasted eleven minutes and I vaguely remember (god, how I hope I'm not mistaken) him saying that I'd be hearing from him soon. Good sign?

Does anyone know if those who receive interviews after they've been on hold have a worse or better chance of receiving a JR2?

I'd say if you were held and didn't materially change your app (new LSAT score, etc.) and got a JR1, you are almost guaranteed admission.

LOL you're joking right?

tbf, i had a pretty expedited process, and he never said anything about hearing from him soon at the end of jr1. rather, he mentioned a "committee review."

if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say that c0rpusdelicti is in fantastic shape. however, i still can't figure out why his jr1 went ELEVEN MINUTES long. mine was under 7.

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:i still can't figure out why his jr1 went ELEVEN MINUTES long.

mine was nearly 15 min long

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:i still can't figure out why his jr1 went ELEVEN MINUTES long.

really? were your answers just really long, or did he ask lots of questions?

he only asked me why H, why law, and what exactly i want to do. it was over in a flash

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:

really? were your answers just really long, or did he ask lots of questions?

he only asked me why H, why law, and what exactly i want to do. it was over in a flash

one of my answers was long-ish, but i'd say he accounted for most of the variance with a ~5 min spiel about recent changes to PI funding stuff, which he launched into after i mentioned my interest in PI. he also gave thorough responses to my questions at the end. if i hadn't been so worried about the its impact on my admissions chances, i'd say the convo was pretty enjoyable.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 am

Yea I'm the same way... I figured more of HLS's applicant pool would be represented on TLS, but there's only been about 12-15 confirmed JR1s since the end of January (both here and LSN) and there appear to be far more people here with very solid numbers who haven't heard anything.

I keep telling myself it's the cycle and there are bound to be some bigger waves of JR1s soon, but the silence over the last 2 weeks and the fact the only people hearing from JR are previous holds is concerning me.

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm

MTC87 wrote:
I think he's right; if they give you a JR1 after being held, they've decided to admit you and will only change their mind if the JR1 is truly awful. Crackberry's talking about people who were Held -> JR1 -> possible JR2, not people who were JR1 -> Held -> possible JR2.

i really, really hope so. all i can say is i feel REALLY shaky about my JR1 performance. i have never stuttered so much in my entire life. hopefully this doesn't constitute "truly awful."[/quote]

you know how after a big job interview or presentation you kinda fantasize about that perfect answer you should have given or about taking back something you shouldn't have said? yeah, it was like that for the next day or so, which is kinda sad considering i knew what all the questions were going to be.[/quote]

oh my gosh--exactly! i just felt like i was RAMBLING, and then couldn't think of the right word at one point and said something truly idiotic (think miss teen south carolina-level) instead. i'll be doing something and then that phrase will pop into my head again and my stomach will sink to my knees--especially when i think about all the stuff i could've said. oh well. time will tell if the JR1 is really just a sanity-check.

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
brennanlives wrote:

For you, a 3.9, 177 candidate, a truly awful phone interview would have consisted of you ignoring JR's questions and forcing him to listen to a 30 minute banjo exposition combined with free verse. And if your performance was half decent you would probably still get in. :D

haha, well, there were no banjos involved!

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
crackberry wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:JR1 yesterday. It lasted eleven minutes and I vaguely remember (god, how I hope I'm not mistaken) him saying that I'd be hearing from him soon. Good sign?

Does anyone know if those who receive interviews after they've been on hold have a worse or better chance of receiving a JR2?

I'd say if you were held and didn't materially change your app (new LSAT score, etc.) and got a JR1, you are almost guaranteed admission.

LOL you're joking right?

tbf, i had a pretty expedited process, and he never said anything about hearing from him soon at the end of jr1. rather, he mentioned a "committee review."

if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say that c0rpusdelicti is in fantastic shape. however, i still can't figure out why his jr1 went ELEVEN MINUTES long. mine was under 7.

Eh, I'm a mite long-winded. It's a personal failing. I also asked him three questions at the end and he generously gave me detailed and informative answers.

I was only asked "Why Harvard Law?" and "What do you want to do, specifically?". I was quite surprised.

And thanks for the vote(s) of confidence!

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:26 pm

nattybro wrote:Just got held. Nice to hear something, I guess (something other than a rejection). I have to say I'm surprised they're still holding people a month after the application deadline, but at least I can get going on a LOCI etc now.

Anyway, off to NYU ASW. Good luck everyone

+1

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm

I agree with crackberry in saying that if you were held and now recieved a JR1 you are highly likely to get a JR2. They have most likely decided to accept you and are merely going through the formality of a JR1.

Also, for what its worth, I felt like that my interview didn't go extremely well, part of it was definetely me, but also part of it felt like JR was just sick and tired of doing these phone interviews. I think a good explanation for why the numbers on JR1's have been down this last month is that JR just got tired of asking the same questions to a 1000 people and decided to focus more on reviewing apps with a return to the phone calls this month.

Edit - To finish the point I started in the above paragraph, even though my interview didn't seem all that great, I got a JR2 the next Monday. He knows you are going to be nervous and he adjusts his expectations accordingly.

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:45 pm

adameus wrote:I agree with crackberry in saying that if you were held and now recieved a JR1 you are highly likely to get a JR2. They have most likely decided to accept you and are merely going through the formality of a JR1.

Also, for what its worth, I felt like that my interview didn't go extremely well, part of it was definetely me, but also part of it felt like JR was just sick and tired of doing these phone interviews. I think a good explanation for why the numbers on JR1's have been down this last month is that JR just got tired of asking the same questions to a 1000 people and decided to focus more on reviewing apps with a return to the phone calls this month.

Edit - To finish the point I started in the above paragraph, even though my interview didn't seem all that great, I got a JR2 the next Monday. He knows you are going to be nervous and he adjusts his expectations accordingly.

thank you for this!! good to hear.

bluepepsi

Postby bluepepsi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

I think I had more hope when I thought the JR1 was a chance to get into Harvard, not a formality after they've already decided to accept you (after being held). With my numbers, I don't think I'll be going from hold => JR1, but I was hoping my phone voice and charm would do the trick. Oh well...

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 pm

bluepepsi wrote:I think I had more hope when I thought the JR1 was a chance to get into Harvard, not a formality after they've already decided to accept you (after being held). With my numbers, I don't think I'll be going from hold => JR1, but I was hoping my phone voice and charm would do the trick. Oh well...

It's definetely not a formality, but I think it becomes more and more so as the cycle goes on. But its definetely not a formality and its not a good idea to treat it as one.

Edit - I know in my previous post I said it was one, but I think it was more just to reflect the idea that the later in the cycle that you get a JR1 the higher the probability you will recieve a JR2. Still even if its 90%, I wouldn't want to be that 10% so I'd take the interview seriously.

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

My friend just got her JR1 e-mail today for a Weds interview. Her numbers are (4.0, 176 (from a mid 160 retake), submitted in mid Jan). It looks like the wheel is turning again.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm

mozhou7 wrote:My friend just got her JR1 e-mail today for a Weds interview. Her numbers are (4.0, 176 (from a mid 160 retake), submitted in mid Jan). It looks like the wheel is turning again.

Any idea when she submitted? Was she held prior to that e-mail?

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 pm

clintonius wrote:
mozhou7 wrote:My friend just got her JR1 e-mail today for a Weds interview. Her numbers are (4.0, 176 (from a mid 160 retake), submitted in mid Jan). It looks like the wheel is turning again.

Any idea when she submitted? Was she held prior to that e-mail?

RC FAIL

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Her numbers make her a no-brainer for admission though and she submitted fairly recently. I wouldn't say the wheel is turning yet.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Held today.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Held today.

how did you find out?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Held today.

how did you find out?

Email. Status checker still shows UR but updated to 3/04.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”