Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
$1.99

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:18 pm

well he seemed to imply that jr1 holds got the jr1s because they were more interesting to start with and they applied earlier in general, i think his definition of "some" is "very little".

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:20 pm

JR1!!!!! freaking out...so much adrenaline i did a headstand!

applied - oct/nov
complete - 11/20
held - 2/16

there's hope you guys!

mh7777

Postby mh7777 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 pm

georgina wrote:
$1.99 wrote:JR made it seem like hold was actually a positive place to be in his blog. He put such a good spin on it that I now have some false hope.

really? his blog post actually made me a little sad.

JR wrote:In the last couple of weeks, I’ve started to go back through the holds. Some of you, we’ve already admitted; others have been asked to interview. Don’t freak out if that’s not you. This is a fairly long process, and it will take 6-8 weeks to go through all the applications, at which point some of the remaining holds be shifted to a wait-list.

the tls representation so far: 1 hold was admitted, and 1 hold got a jr1. JR's definition of "some" and "others" seem disheartening to me.

also, his portrayal of the jr1 didn't clear up any of the confusion surrounding the large group of jr1 holds.

It also doesn't do much for those of us who have been UR for a while without hearing anything. No JR1, no hold, nothing.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm

brennanlives wrote:JR1!!!!! freaking out...so much adrenaline i did a headstand!

applied - oct/nov
complete - 11/20
held - 2/16

there's hope you guys!

Congrats. Look like HLS is starting up again.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm

brennanlives wrote:JR1!!!!! freaking out...so much adrenaline i did a headstand!

applied - oct/nov
complete - 11/20
held - 2/16

there's hope you guys!

lol arent you that 177/3.9 monster? congrats although i never doubted you would get one

dream

Postby dream » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm

applied - oct/nov
complete - 11/20
held - 2/16

there's hope you guys!

wow congrats! Good luck! :)

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm

applied - oct/nov
complete - 11/20
held - 2/16

there's hope you guys!

Congrats! Did you send in any additional material after being held?

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:51 pm

NO--that's the weirdest thing. i was planning on sending out my LOCI today, in fact!

Consigliere

Postby Consigliere » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:52 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:There has been a rejection:
http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc
:|

With almost identical numbers to me. That's discouraging.

i saw that too numbers twin...
good to see you on TLS by the way

hlshopes

Postby hlshopes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:Soooo....

I got my J.R.1 this morning! It's scheduled for next Tuesday. Submitted 11/04, Complete 11/12, Held on 1/27, LOCI sent last Wednesday/Thursday.

Nice!!!!! Big time congrats!!!! Hopefully JR1s today means JR2s on Monday ;)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:21 pm

crackberry wrote:Another TLS shoutout from an HYS admissions dean! Now, where's Faye Deal?

Josh Rubenstein wrote:It seems like there are quite a few of you agonizing over being on hold, and many of you seem to have a lot of time to spend on TLS. Relax – there are still places open in the class, and these will be filled by people on hold or whose applications have not been reviewed yet.

Hahahaha JR wins.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:56 pm

los blancos wrote:
crackberry wrote:Another TLS shoutout from an HYS admissions dean! Now, where's Faye Deal?

Josh Rubenstein wrote:It seems like there are quite a few of you agonizing over being on hold, and many of you seem to have a lot of time to spend on TLS. Relax – there are still places open in the class, and these will be filled by people on hold or whose applications have not been reviewed yet.

Hahahaha JR wins.

JR always wins. It's why he's the dean.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:01 pm

All is quiet on the eastern front. Looks like we live to fight another day.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 pm

yes we are fortunate indeed, i hope it is not quiet for me next Monday- Thursday though, come on JR, letting one person like me in isn't going to mess up your numbers too badly

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm kind of disappointed by this question and answer thing on the HLS blog. It was great that JR answered people's questions about being on hold, because that's very relevant, and nobody really knew what was going on with it. But the other two questions he answered were softballs. The information about the phone interview is already out there, and that last question about LSAT/GPA cutoffs was obviously just selected so he could make Harvard look good. But of course no school is going to say "yeah, we're all about the numbers."

And Harvard kept all the questions hidden so we don't know what people asked. It seems that this wasn't actually a chance to grill JR and get answers to hard questions. Besides the information about holds, this was more like a politician's publicity stunt. Hopefully he takes up more interesting questions next time.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I'm kind of disappointed by this question and answer thing on the HLS blog. It was great that JR answered people's questions about being on hold, because that's very relevant, and nobody really knew what was going on with it. But the other two questions he answered were softballs. The information about the phone interview is already out there, and that last question about LSAT/GPA cutoffs was obviously just selected so he could make Harvard look good. But of course no school is going to say "yeah, we're all about the numbers."

And Harvard kept all the questions hidden so we don't know what people asked. It seems that this wasn't actually a chance to grill JR and get answers to hard questions. Besides the information about holds, this was more like a politician's publicity stunt. Hopefully he takes up more interesting questions next time.

hm, tbh, i sort of felt the same thing

but as long as we're being honest, i never really thought he'd answer some of the harder questions

i would have loved it if he told everyone the % of the class already accepted, but would he really?

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm

applied - oct/nov
complete - 11/20
held - 2/16

there's hope you guys!

Wow that's just freaky. They decided to hold you after 3 months and then a week later they change their mind and send you a JR1 without any changes to your record?

Well congrats nonetheless, very exciting.

I'm just getting even more discouraged that held applicants are hearing back now before us purgatory victims.

JR's Minion: "Sir we've filled 99% of the class, what should we do with the last 1%?"
JR: "Well we've got a bunch of people who've been complete for over a month and haven't heard anything, let's take a look at them"
JR: "eww, nevermind, let's just admit a few holds and call it a cycle shall we?"

I saw on the Q&A that he said that HLS still has "some" empty seats.

"some" isn't very encouraging at all, he could have said "quite a few" or "plenty" or "many", some is just a way of saying "not zero".

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Sogui wrote:

"some" isn't very encouraging at all, he could have said "quite a few" or "plenty" or "many", some is just a way of saying "not zero".

That's how I read it too. Sounds like they're almost done at this point.

superberry

Postby superberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Sogui wrote:

Actually, he said "There are still places open in the class..", which sounds better than the above. HTH!!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 pm

superberry wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Sogui wrote:

Actually, he said "There are still places open in the class..", which sounds better than the above. HTH!!

Ah, that was the actual quote... I read it as "some" in my head, doesn't sound particularly encouraging either way.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I was pretty disappointed by the fact that he only answered 3 questions. seriously?

dudester

Postby dudester » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I'm kind of disappointed by this question and answer thing on the HLS blog. It was great that JR answered people's questions about being on hold, because that's very relevant, and nobody really knew what was going on with it. But the other two questions he answered were softballs. The information about the phone interview is already out there, and that last question about LSAT/GPA cutoffs was obviously just selected so he could make Harvard look good. But of course no school is going to say "yeah, we're all about the numbers."

It seems JR might have actually answered that question because he was feeling a little sassy today: "So each year we admit many people who fall below our 25th percentile for GPA or LSAT (about 25% of the class actually)."

On second thought, TLS usually reeks of epic math fail...

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 pm

dudester wrote:

It seems JR might have actually answered that question because he was feeling a little sassy today: "So each year we admit many people who fall below our 25th percentile for GPA or LSAT (about 25% of the class actually)."

that doesn't account for splitters, which form a major chunk of the <25th category ( > 75 LSAT, <25 GPA for example).

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:54 pm

englawyer wrote:
dudester wrote:

that doesn't account for splitters, which form a major chunk of the <25th category ( > 75 LSAT, <25 GPA for example).

Strategic use of the word "or". It would be interesting to see how many applicants they accept with both GPA and LSAT below 25th. Bet that number is 0-5 people.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:08 am

englawyer wrote:
dudester wrote:

Another TLS math fail example?? :lol:

haha just ribbing on you Englawyer (english lawyer?)... couldn't resist.
But yeah i'm very surprised JR actually straight out said that... lol he must not have a very high estimation of HLS admits math abilities :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”