Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MTC87

New

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by MTC87 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:10 am

emanon27 wrote:I was wondering what people thought of the applicants who were held without a JR1. I'm in this category and just trying to stay positive. That being said, it seems like a weird category. A couple of questions for the board:

1) Has anyone held without a JR1 received a JR1 without a material improvement upon their application (e.g., a higher LSAT score, a higher GPA)
2) (Purely speculative) What do people think will happen to this category? Do you think they are likely to get JR1s? Are they in worse shape than those held JR1s?
1) yes. i'm still puzzled about it myself, as it does seem a little backwards.
2) no idea, and i'd love to get some thoughts on this.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 am

MTC87 wrote:emanon27 wrote:
I was wondering what people thought of the applicants who were held without a JR1. I'm in this category and just trying to stay positive. That being said, it seems like a weird category. A couple of questions for the board:

1) Has anyone held without a JR1 received a JR1 without a material improvement upon their application (e.g., a higher LSAT score, a higher GPA)
2) (Purely speculative) What do people think will happen to this category? Do you think they are likely to get JR1s? Are they in worse shape than those held JR1s?

1) yes. i'm still puzzled about it myself, as it does seem a little backwards.
2) no idea, and i'd love to get some thoughts on this.
1) as far as anyone on here knows, no.
2) in terms of no-JR1-holds, it depends on the candidate. i think a lot of people were held bc harvard simply hadn't gotten to their applications (not bc they were borderline, necessarily)....some of those people had great numbers and a high chance of being admitted (eg, 177/4.0), but i think a lot more of them had borderline or low numbers and a low chance of being admitted. thus, i don't think you can generalize about that group as a whole.

...as compared to JR1-holds, again it depends on the candidate. that 177/4.0 is probably in a better position than the JR1-holds, but i think the majority of no-JR1-holds are probably destined for WL/reject (JMO), and i figure the majority of JR1-holds are destined for WL/maybe accept.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:42 pm

somewhatwayward wrote: 1) as far as anyone on here knows, no.
2) in terms of no-JR1-holds, it depends on the candidate. i think a lot of people were held bc harvard simply hadn't gotten to their applications (not bc they were borderline, necessarily)....some of those people had great numbers and a high chance of being admitted (eg, 177/4.0), but i think a lot more of them had borderline or low numbers and a low chance of being admitted. thus, i don't think you can generalize about that group as a whole.

...as compared to JR1-holds, again it depends on the candidate. that 177/4.0 is probably in a better position than the JR1-holds, but i think the majority of no-JR1-holds are probably destined for WL/reject (JMO), and i figure the majority of JR1-holds are destined for WL/maybe accept.
1) i think MTC87 (correct me if i'm wrong) was saying he got a JR1 after being held. i bet the h bomb helped.
2) i don't think that many were held just bc harvard didn't get to them. i think they're all borderline WL/A or WL/R, or clear WL's. remember from earlier blog posts JR said he picked out the auto-admits to call first before passing along the other files to the committee? and it would seem to follow that the people who got JR1 invites after going complete were the people who got invited after more review. i think if a 177/4.0 didn't get called in a reasonable amount of time, there was something problematic with the app, in which case the hold would be more like a solid WL, where the numbers need to be kept just in case HLS needs the boost.

saturnine

New

Post by saturnine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:How long is someone usually under review before getting rejected if they don't get a JR1? I've been UR for three weeks, and I am expecting a rejection (not due to being under review so long). I'm actually surprised I've lasted this long (25% on both ends).
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

saturnine wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:How long is someone usually under review before getting rejected if they don't get a JR1? I've been UR for three weeks, and I am expecting a rejection (not due to being under review so long). I'm actually surprised I've lasted this long (25% on both ends).
+1
please refer to LSN: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc
people getting rejected in past weeks had sent dates in november.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.
Interesting. I got into several parties at the DNC pretending to be Jon Oliver from the Daily Show...it stopped working when he was at one of the parties, near the door. I don't think I'll be getting a Daily Show callback anything soon...
wait, you have a british accent? cant just having that get you into parties?
Haha, it definitely helps, when I choose to use it.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Honestly I just imagine Kretzy looking like Ryan Reynolds because of the RR tars the last few months. Can't imagine him looking like Oliver.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Kronk wrote:Honestly I just imagine Kretzy looking like Ryan Reynolds because of the RR tars the last few months. Can't imagine him looking like Oliver.
Haha. I'm going to be unable to think anyone looks separate from their 'tars. In fact, I imagine Crackberry to be a small-scale replica of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:Honestly I just imagine Kretzy looking like Ryan Reynolds because of the RR tars the last few months. Can't imagine him looking like Oliver.
Haha. I'm going to be unable to think anyone looks separate from their 'tars. In fact, I imagine Crackberry to be a small-scale replica of the Golden Gate Bridge.
I still think of Managamy as a hot girl.

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm

i was/am secretly in love with Kretzy for just this reason. but, all for naught, anyway.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:16 pm

i need to get a new tar then...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i need to get a new tar then...
+1 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

u can't! i have u firmly associated with a pineapple now

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
pls don't ever change your tar

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:23 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
pls don't ever change your tar
me or the pineapple?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote: me or the pineapple?
you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Kretzy wrote:
So does Kronk look like John Yoo reincarnated or a Flobots album cover?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote: me or the pineapple?
you
its sticking around... compliments my username nicely :)
Last edited by Nom Sawyer on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
He's John Yoo riding a bike without hands.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Kretzy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
He's John Yoo riding a bike without hands.
Well done.

Edit: I should bring back my FloBots tar. That was by far my best one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm

held via email

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Illijah wrote:held via email
Sorry about that :( when did you submit/go complete?

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 pm

submit on 12/1
complete 12/22

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:52 pm

so its monday and all we've got is a held email? No JR2's today?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”