Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Core » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Would anyone mind critiquing my (second) HLS LOCI? Shoot me a PM, please.

Renaixença

Postby Renaixença » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Core wrote:Would anyone mind critiquing my (second) HLS LOCI? Shoot me a PM, please.

One is enough, bud.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:17 pm

j nyc wrote:fwiw i wouldn't get psyched out by the fact that a 3.8/175 (myself) and a 3.88/175 (cherithcutestory) were rejected. the admissions process is not based solely on numbers!!! i really, really did not put as much work into my harvard application as i should have, and i'm straight out of UG (and an unimpressive one at that). cherith also admits in a former tls post that he/she barely had any softs (sorry if this is bitchy for me to mention - i'll remove it if you want! just trying to provide info so people with lesser numbers don't end their lives out of a lack of hope!!!)... every candidate is different. if you work hard enough, your enthusiasm for the school will come through in your app. apply early and hope for the best.

Really nice of you to try and calm all the HLS hopefuls.

:).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 pm

I also pretty much whacked off on my HLS application in comparison to my YLS and SLS apps. Regretted it.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:32 am

booboo wrote:
j nyc wrote:fwiw i wouldn't get psyched out by the fact that a 3.8/175 (myself) and a 3.88/175 (cherithcutestory) were rejected. the admissions process is not based solely on numbers!!! i really, really did not put as much work into my harvard application as i should have, and i'm straight out of UG (and an unimpressive one at that). cherith also admits in a former tls post that he/she barely had any softs (sorry if this is bitchy for me to mention - i'll remove it if you want! just trying to provide info so people with lesser numbers don't end their lives out of a lack of hope!!!)... every candidate is different. if you work hard enough, your enthusiasm for the school will come through in your app. apply early and hope for the best.

Really nice of you to try and calm all the HLS hopefuls.

:).

I'm a 3.87/176 with unimpressive softs at an unimpressive school, thanks for fueling my anxiety... jerks.

(I kid... I kid)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:56 pm

lawgod wrote:You should retake the 175. you can gain 5 points which is a huge difference. Think of the difference between 165 and 170.

seriously, will you stop flaming this thread?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Kronk wrote:I also pretty much whacked off on my HLS application in comparison to my YLS and SLS apps. Regretted it.

oh man...i can already imagine the surprise of the HLS adcomm committee when they got your app

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
lawgod wrote:You should retake the 175. you can gain 5 points which is a huge difference. Think of the difference between 165 and 170.

seriously, will you stop flaming this thread?

you're right. sorry.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Kronk wrote:I also pretty much whacked off on my HLS application in comparison to my YLS and SLS apps. Regretted it.

oh man...i can already imagine the surprise of the HLS adcomm committee when they got your app

Well I didn't get auto-rejected, so I guess that says something about the admissions committee.

(Although the quoted post I am probably going to get rejected anytime now)

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm going to +1 this not because I am agreeing about the quality of j nyc's or others' apps, but because I am agreeing that every candidate is different and it's not fair to yourself to psych yourself out to the point of retaking a 175 just because someone else with the same numbers got dinged. I got accepted in the first round of JR2's with a 3.78/175. I'm straight out of undergrad, and I have pretty average softs, but somehow JR liked something about my application - just like he might like something about yours. Have hope!! :)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:14 pm

nixxers wrote:

I'm going to +1 this not because I am agreeing about the quality of j nyc's or others' apps, but because I am agreeing that every candidate is different and it's not fair to yourself to psych yourself out to the point of retaking a 175 just because someone else with the same numbers got dinged. I got accepted in the first round of JR2's with a 3.78/175. I'm straight out of undergrad, and I have pretty average softs, but somehow JR liked something about my application - just like he might like something about yours. Have hope!! :)

you know what, as much as i believe HLS is very numbers oriented (like most law schools, sans SLS or YLS), i think your overall application package matters quite a bit. getting into HLS was a dream come true, but it felt right because i was really proud of my whole application. my softs arent great, compared to TLS, id say its a 5 or 5.5, but HLS is my #1 pick because (after some research and personal reasons) it is the best fit for me...and i think that showed through. though my PS wasnt specifically tailored to HLS, it was still one that really let adcomms know who i am and how i think. if your numbers are already there (or close), that may actually be what makes the difference.

haha of course, having 75/75% numbers will make them simply glance over these other things im sure.

georgina

Postby georgina » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm

off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/danglingparticipant
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

not that i'm waiting on one, but happened to notice and thought some of you might be interested.

i want my jr2 tomorrow so badly it hurts.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:22 pm

I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:24 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.

Please explain every aspect of that first sentence.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:29 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.

+1. I like how the Coulter/CPAC reference was casually dropped in with no introduction.

So, I was shooting hoops with Barack Obama yesterday and he told me that Columbia beats NYU for placement in the White House Counsel's office.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

+1. I like how the Coulter/CPAC reference was casually dropped in with no introduction.

So, I was shooting hoops with Barack Obama yesterday and he told me that Columbia beats NYU for placement in the White House Counsel's office.

The difference is that I can at least imagine why you'd want to shoot hoops with Obama.

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

The difference is that I can at least imagine why you'd want to shoot hoops with Obama.

hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm

georgina wrote:off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

not that i'm waiting on one, but happened to notice and thought some of you might be interested.

Finally some relevant information.

That stings though, it seems like JR1s have come down to a trickle. We were hoping that February was the "calm before the storm" of JR1s but I feel like Harvard is in the process of filling their last seats now :(

FCD

Postby FCD » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

edit: nevermind, found the answer the way I should have in the first place (through search)

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:35 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.

I read this and all I could think the entire time was "The Daily Show?"

emanon27

Postby emanon27 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 pm

I was wondering what people thought of the applicants who were held without a JR1. I'm in this category and just trying to stay positive. That being said, it seems like a weird category. A couple of questions for the board:

1) Has anyone held without a JR1 received a JR1 without a material improvement upon their application (e.g., a higher LSAT score, a higher GPA)
2) (Purely speculative) What do people think will happen to this category? Do you think they are likely to get JR1s? Are they in worse shape than those held JR1s?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Sogui wrote:
georgina wrote:off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

That stings though, it seems like JR1s have come down to a trickle. We were hoping that February was the "calm before the storm" of JR1s but I feel like Harvard is in the process of filling their last seats now :(

A more optimistic alternative explanation is that Harvard is only filling the class with the "must have" students right now and that JR is waiting until the adcom has processed the entire applicant pool before deciding on the borderline cases. Remember that this is the new dean's first year at the thing - perhaps he's being more conservative in his decisions. LSN admit numbers are pretty low for this point in time, right?

The next two weeks will be very telling.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 pm

notanumber wrote:
Sogui wrote:
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

A more optimistic alternative explanation is that Harvard is only filling the class with the "must have" students right now and that JR is waiting until the adcom has processed the entire applicant pool before deciding on the borderline cases. Remember that this is the new dean's first year at the thing - perhaps he's being more conservative in his decisions. LSN admit numbers are pretty low for this point in time, right?

The next two weeks will be very telling.

I'll agree with your prediction simply because I blew any of my credibility saying the same thing about two weeks ago :wink:

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.

Interesting. I got into several parties at the DNC pretending to be Jon Oliver from the Daily Show...it stopped working when he was at one of the parties, near the door. I don't think I'll be getting a Daily Show callback anything soon...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”