Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Core » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Would anyone mind critiquing my (second) HLS LOCI? Shoot me a PM, please.

Renaixença
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Renaixença » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Core wrote:Would anyone mind critiquing my (second) HLS LOCI? Shoot me a PM, please.


One is enough, bud.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby booboo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:17 pm

j nyc wrote:fwiw i wouldn't get psyched out by the fact that a 3.8/175 (myself) and a 3.88/175 (cherithcutestory) were rejected. the admissions process is not based solely on numbers!!! i really, really did not put as much work into my harvard application as i should have, and i'm straight out of UG (and an unimpressive one at that). cherith also admits in a former tls post that he/she barely had any softs (sorry if this is bitchy for me to mention - i'll remove it if you want! just trying to provide info so people with lesser numbers don't end their lives out of a lack of hope!!!)... every candidate is different. if you work hard enough, your enthusiasm for the school will come through in your app. apply early and hope for the best.


Really nice of you to try and calm all the HLS hopefuls.

:).

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28229
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 pm

I also pretty much whacked off on my HLS application in comparison to my YLS and SLS apps. Regretted it.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:32 am

booboo wrote:
j nyc wrote:fwiw i wouldn't get psyched out by the fact that a 3.8/175 (myself) and a 3.88/175 (cherithcutestory) were rejected. the admissions process is not based solely on numbers!!! i really, really did not put as much work into my harvard application as i should have, and i'm straight out of UG (and an unimpressive one at that). cherith also admits in a former tls post that he/she barely had any softs (sorry if this is bitchy for me to mention - i'll remove it if you want! just trying to provide info so people with lesser numbers don't end their lives out of a lack of hope!!!)... every candidate is different. if you work hard enough, your enthusiasm for the school will come through in your app. apply early and hope for the best.


Really nice of you to try and calm all the HLS hopefuls.

:).


I'm a 3.87/176 with unimpressive softs at an unimpressive school, thanks for fueling my anxiety... jerks.

(I kid... I kid)

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:56 pm

lawgod wrote:You should retake the 175. you can gain 5 points which is a huge difference. Think of the difference between 165 and 170.


seriously, will you stop flaming this thread?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Kronk wrote:I also pretty much whacked off on my HLS application in comparison to my YLS and SLS apps. Regretted it.


oh man...i can already imagine the surprise of the HLS adcomm committee when they got your app

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby lawgod » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
lawgod wrote:You should retake the 175. you can gain 5 points which is a huge difference. Think of the difference between 165 and 170.


seriously, will you stop flaming this thread?


you're right. sorry.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28229
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Kronk wrote:I also pretty much whacked off on my HLS application in comparison to my YLS and SLS apps. Regretted it.


oh man...i can already imagine the surprise of the HLS adcomm committee when they got your app


Well I didn't get auto-rejected, so I guess that says something about the admissions committee.

(Although the quoted post I am probably going to get rejected anytime now)

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby nixxers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:28 pm

j nyc wrote:fwiw i wouldn't get psyched out by the fact that a 3.8/175 (myself) and a 3.88/175 (cherithcutestory) were rejected. the admissions process is not based solely on numbers!!! i really, really did not put as much work into my harvard application as i should have, and i'm straight out of UG (and an unimpressive one at that). cherith also admits in a former tls post that he/she barely had any softs (sorry if this is bitchy for me to mention - i'll remove it if you want! just trying to provide info so people with lesser numbers don't end their lives out of a lack of hope!!!)... every candidate is different. if you work hard enough, your enthusiasm for the school will come through in your app. apply early and hope for the best.


I'm going to +1 this not because I am agreeing about the quality of j nyc's or others' apps, but because I am agreeing that every candidate is different and it's not fair to yourself to psych yourself out to the point of retaking a 175 just because someone else with the same numbers got dinged. I got accepted in the first round of JR2's with a 3.78/175. I'm straight out of undergrad, and I have pretty average softs, but somehow JR liked something about my application - just like he might like something about yours. Have hope!! :)

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:14 pm

nixxers wrote:
j nyc wrote:fwiw i wouldn't get psyched out by the fact that a 3.8/175 (myself) and a 3.88/175 (cherithcutestory) were rejected. the admissions process is not based solely on numbers!!! i really, really did not put as much work into my harvard application as i should have, and i'm straight out of UG (and an unimpressive one at that). cherith also admits in a former tls post that he/she barely had any softs (sorry if this is bitchy for me to mention - i'll remove it if you want! just trying to provide info so people with lesser numbers don't end their lives out of a lack of hope!!!)... every candidate is different. if you work hard enough, your enthusiasm for the school will come through in your app. apply early and hope for the best.


I'm going to +1 this not because I am agreeing about the quality of j nyc's or others' apps, but because I am agreeing that every candidate is different and it's not fair to yourself to psych yourself out to the point of retaking a 175 just because someone else with the same numbers got dinged. I got accepted in the first round of JR2's with a 3.78/175. I'm straight out of undergrad, and I have pretty average softs, but somehow JR liked something about my application - just like he might like something about yours. Have hope!! :)


you know what, as much as i believe HLS is very numbers oriented (like most law schools, sans SLS or YLS), i think your overall application package matters quite a bit. getting into HLS was a dream come true, but it felt right because i was really proud of my whole application. my softs arent great, compared to TLS, id say its a 5 or 5.5, but HLS is my #1 pick because (after some research and personal reasons) it is the best fit for me...and i think that showed through. though my PS wasnt specifically tailored to HLS, it was still one that really let adcomms know who i am and how i think. if your numbers are already there (or close), that may actually be what makes the difference.

haha of course, having 75/75% numbers will make them simply glance over these other things im sure.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm

off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/danglingparticipant
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

not that i'm waiting on one, but happened to notice and thought some of you might be interested.

i want my jr2 tomorrow so badly it hurts.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:22 pm

I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:24 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.


Please explain every aspect of that first sentence.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:29 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.


Please explain every aspect of that first sentence.

+1. I like how the Coulter/CPAC reference was casually dropped in with no introduction.

So, I was shooting hoops with Barack Obama yesterday and he told me that Columbia beats NYU for placement in the White House Counsel's office.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.


Please explain every aspect of that first sentence.

+1. I like how the Coulter/CPAC reference was casually dropped in with no introduction.

So, I was shooting hoops with Barack Obama yesterday and he told me that Columbia beats NYU for placement in the White House Counsel's office.


The difference is that I can at least imagine why you'd want to shoot hoops with Obama.

User avatar
Havaianas
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Havaianas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I was flirting with Ann Coulter at CPAC and she told me, "Don't go to law school!" If I get a JR interview I'm going to use this as one of my reasons for going to law school.


Please explain every aspect of that first sentence.

+1. I like how the Coulter/CPAC reference was casually dropped in with no introduction.

So, I was shooting hoops with Barack Obama yesterday and he told me that Columbia beats NYU for placement in the White House Counsel's office.


The difference is that I can at least imagine why you'd want to shoot hoops with Obama.


hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm

georgina wrote:off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/danglingparticipant
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

not that i'm waiting on one, but happened to notice and thought some of you might be interested.

i want my jr2 tomorrow so badly it hurts.


Finally some relevant information.

That stings though, it seems like JR1s have come down to a trickle. We were hoping that February was the "calm before the storm" of JR1s but I feel like Harvard is in the process of filling their last seats now :(

FCD
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby FCD » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

edit: nevermind, found the answer the way I should have in the first place (through search)

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Unitas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:35 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.


I read this and all I could think the entire time was "The Daily Show?"

emanon27
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emanon27 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 pm

I was wondering what people thought of the applicants who were held without a JR1. I'm in this category and just trying to stay positive. That being said, it seems like a weird category. A couple of questions for the board:

1) Has anyone held without a JR1 received a JR1 without a material improvement upon their application (e.g., a higher LSAT score, a higher GPA)
2) (Purely speculative) What do people think will happen to this category? Do you think they are likely to get JR1s? Are they in worse shape than those held JR1s?

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby notanumber » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Sogui wrote:
georgina wrote:off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/danglingparticipant
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

not that i'm waiting on one, but happened to notice and thought some of you might be interested.

i want my jr2 tomorrow so badly it hurts.


Finally some relevant information.

That stings though, it seems like JR1s have come down to a trickle. We were hoping that February was the "calm before the storm" of JR1s but I feel like Harvard is in the process of filling their last seats now :(


A more optimistic alternative explanation is that Harvard is only filling the class with the "must have" students right now and that JR is waiting until the adcom has processed the entire applicant pool before deciding on the borderline cases. Remember that this is the new dean's first year at the thing - perhaps he's being more conservative in his decisions. LSN admit numbers are pretty low for this point in time, right?

The next two weeks will be very telling.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 pm

notanumber wrote:
Sogui wrote:
georgina wrote:off topic (finally. this 175 retake issue has seriously been beaten to a pulp.), i wanted to report that though it seems nobody on tls reported a jr1 email this past week, this guy on lsn got one on thursday:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/danglingparticipant
171, 3.93, sent 1/26

not that i'm waiting on one, but happened to notice and thought some of you might be interested.

i want my jr2 tomorrow so badly it hurts.


Finally some relevant information.

That stings though, it seems like JR1s have come down to a trickle. We were hoping that February was the "calm before the storm" of JR1s but I feel like Harvard is in the process of filling their last seats now :(


A more optimistic alternative explanation is that Harvard is only filling the class with the "must have" students right now and that JR is waiting until the adcom has processed the entire applicant pool before deciding on the borderline cases. Remember that this is the new dean's first year at the thing - perhaps he's being more conservative in his decisions. LSN admit numbers are pretty low for this point in time, right?

The next two weeks will be very telling.


I'll agree with your prediction simply because I blew any of my credibility saying the same thing about two weeks ago :wink:

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Well, I wrote my personal statement about how I'm going to be a comedian politician. So I got press credentials and registered as a student for CPAC 2010 and then drove down from New York. Instead of being a non-religious liberal like normal, I played the role of a Jewish conservative, complete with kippah (though I am actually a Jew so I wasn't offensively misrepresenting myself). I met almost all of the major speakers and got ridiculous photos with most of those, and took a lot of photos of the event. As this conservative Jewish character I thought Ann Coulter was pretty hot so I tried to wow her with my LSAT score, but somehow that didn't win her over! Over the coming weeks I'll write several articles for my site about CPAC and all the things that happened to me, some in a satirical voice and some not.


Interesting. I got into several parties at the DNC pretending to be Jon Oliver from the Daily Show...it stopped working when he was at one of the parties, near the door. I don't think I'll be getting a Daily Show callback anything soon...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”