Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sogui

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 pm

So no JR1s today?

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
lawgod wrote:but i talked on the phone to some guy Josh Rosenstein or something.

Flame

flame or ritard (think the hangover)

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm

swimbrad wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
lawgod wrote:but i talked on the phone to some guy Josh Rosenstein or something.

Flame

flame or ritard (think the hangover)

I think you're thinking of "rah-tard"

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:50 pm

alright congrats to all those who dodged JR's rejection machine gun today. no "dodge this" for me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:51 pm

$1.99 wrote:alright congrats to all those who dodged JR's rejection machine gun today. no "dodge this" for me.

There were only 2. hth

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:51 pm

$1.99 wrote:alright congrats to all those who dodged JR's rejection machine gun today. no "dodge this" for me.

Wait does that mean you failed to dodge it? Or there was no need because the rejection gun was pointed another direction?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 pm

And by 2 I mean 6.

Consigliere

Postby Consigliere » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:58 pm

I attribute it to the 5 D's of Dodgeball I learned back in grammar school.

Or, like my prelaw advisor always says "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a rejection."

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:24 pm

If I went complete over a week ago, how soon can I expect a ding?

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 pm

Sogui wrote:

Wait does that mean you failed to dodge it? Or there was no need because the rejection gun was pointed another direction?

lol it means the gun wasn't pointed at my head like that agent

Genki

Postby Genki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Sogui wrote:So no JR1s today?

Haven't you been following this thread at ALL Sogui?

Everyone knows that Monday is the day to watch out for JR1 emails... :wink:

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

buffalo

Postby buffalo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey all, I posted in another forum but have read a few pages of this mammoth thread and wondered if any Harvard hopefuls had some insight. I want Harvard/Yale next cycle and my numbers are 175/3.85. I thought I was almost a lock for Harvard, but I just read some of the recent dings and am pretty apprehensive about my numbers now! My softs should be strong even for Harvard/Yale, but should I be considering a retake if I really have my heart set on one of the two schools?

Good luck to all on their cycle this round! And congrats to all have already made it in!

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm

buffalo wrote:Hey all, I posted in another forum but have read a few pages of this mammoth thread and wondered if any Harvard hopefuls had some insight. I want Harvard/Yale next cycle and my numbers are 175/3.85. I thought I was almost a lock for Harvard, but I just read some of the recent dings and am pretty apprehensive about my numbers now! My softs should be strong even for Harvard/Yale, but should I be considering a retake if I really have my heart set on one of the two schools?

Good luck to all on their cycle this round! And congrats to all have already made it in!

What is your UG and is that a single LSAT score? Can't get a good read on your chances w/o that info.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 pm

i think you are ok, the person who got rejected with those numbers is an irregularity if you look at their lsn profile, they got waitlisted at many auto admit school.

buffalo

Postby buffalo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
buffalo wrote:Hey all, I posted in another forum but have read a few pages of this mammoth thread and wondered if any Harvard hopefuls had some insight. I want Harvard/Yale next cycle and my numbers are 175/3.85. I thought I was almost a lock for Harvard, but I just read some of the recent dings and am pretty apprehensive about my numbers now! My softs should be strong even for Harvard/Yale, but should I be considering a retake if I really have my heart set on one of the two schools?

What is your UG and is that a single LSAT score? Can't get a good read on your chances w/o that info.

Single LSAT score + University of Colorado Boulder. My GPA was great my last three years, suffered the first year, and course load was full of challenging courses. I've been out of school for a few years but have been doing meaningful work that I am certain will be looked upon favorably.

buffalo

Postby buffalo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:55 pm

$1.99 wrote:i think you are ok, the person who got rejected with those numbers is an irregularity if you look at their lsn profile, they got waitlisted at many auto admit school.

Thanks, I'll look up the profile.

chopsticks3092

Postby chopsticks3092 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Peter North wrote:JR himself was a "waitlist" late summer admit to HLS. Now that he's on the other side of the fence... I wonder how he's going to treat borderline (or those with compelling softs)... :? Machine-gun style dings... or more than a few sympathy admits... this is his 1st year as Dean of Admissions... so we'll just have to wait and see how he plays the cards...

Actually JR was not admitted off the waitlist. If you got that impression from this blog post you'll notice that it was written by someone named Anit, as JR clarifies during this interview with AdmissionsDean (LinkRemoved).

But it is an open question how he will treat borderline candidates as a first-year admissions dean.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:23 am

buffalo wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

Single LSAT score + University of Colorado Boulder. My GPA was great my last three years, suffered the first year, and course load was full of challenging courses. I've been out of school for a few years but have been doing meaningful work that I am certain will be looked upon favorably.

I'm glad you're not in my cycle. They can't accept TWO people from CU. ;) 173 / 3.91 from CU Boulder.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 am

Kronk wrote:
buffalo wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

I'm glad you're not in my cycle. They can't accept TWO people from CU. ;) 173 / 3.91 from CU Boulder.

Hmm with one take, and CU Boulder as a decent Tier One you probably have an 85+% chance at Harvard next semester as long as you apply early. Just get your app well prepared and get it in before October and you def won't need to retake.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:50 am

Na_Swatch wrote:
Kronk wrote:I'm glad you're not in my cycle. They can't accept TWO people from CU. ;) 173 / 3.91 from CU Boulder.

Hmm with one take, and CU Boulder as a decent Tier One you probably have an 85+% chance at Harvard next semester as long as you apply early. Just get your app well prepared and get it in before October and you def won't need to retake.

Already applied this cycle. I think HE is applying next cycle.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 am

Kronk wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:
Kronk wrote:I'm glad you're not in my cycle. They can't accept TWO people from CU. ;) 173 / 3.91 from CU Boulder.

Yeah that was aimed at him.. a 173, 3.9 is probably only 70% chance of admittance

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 am

buffalo wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

you have a good shot. i wouldnt retake the LSAT (unless you were avging 178+ and just messed up on game day) since it's really the GPA that would keep you out, not the LSAT (tho i know, its 1 point below the 75%)

if your softs are as strong as you think they are (you'd be surprised after lurking around on TLS how weak your softs may be haha, not saying yours are...but i had a rude awakening), then id say you have like 70% at HLS right off the bat. 85% seems a bit too high, unless these softs are REALLY badass or you're including chances off the waitlist or something (stress that'd kill me haha)
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:53 am

Na_Swatch wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

Yeah that was aimed at him.. a 173, 3.9 is probably only 70% chance of admittance

I think you're overestimating both chances tbh.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:57 am

Kronk wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:Yeah that was aimed at him.. a 173, 3.9 is probably only 70% chance of admittance

I agree. I put the first guy at ~65-70% and you at ~60%

you arent that much worse off than the 3.85/175 tho

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 am

Kronk wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Well just from last cycle 4 out of 5 people with a 173, 3.9 got into Harvard. Adding in the fact that CU Boulder is not a premier UG (though still decent) and the fact that this cycle is more competitive I would say 70% is reasonable (slightly higher than 2 admits out of three apps).

If the 173 is the highest LSAT or there is a lack of softs than the chances would probably be lower.

However, at the 3.88, 175 level with work experience and early app I think chances are quite high. You might be right tho, it seems this year anybody who is < 3.9 has lower chances..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”