Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Isa

New

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by Isa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:06 am

Me too, but what does it mean?! LSAC says I'm complete, but I haven't gotten the "complete" email from HLS yet.

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Isa wrote:Me too, but what does it mean?! LSAC says I'm complete, but I haven't gotten the "complete" email from HLS yet.
From what others have posted here, it's pretty normal to go from "application received" to "under review" without receiving the complete email. That generally comes later, and indicates that someone is actually reading your file. JR1s, when they happen, seem to happen soon after receiving the complete email.

Good luck!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm under review, also. Should be a quick review :lol:

rickysteves

New

Post by rickysteves » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Last edited by rickysteves on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:13 pm

I had my JR1 earlier today, and while I was definitely a little nervous at the beginning, I'll echo what everyone else seems to have said about JR being straightforward with his questions. There are no tricks. I'm hoping the call went well. I'm going to assume that if I don't get in, it's not because of my interview. My call lasted a little over 10 minutes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 pm

Have JR1's been coming in the order by which people applied?

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:56 pm

lz06 wrote:Have JR1's been coming in the order by which people applied?
i think for the most part this has been the case. you can get a better sense of it by reading this whole thread, if you're so inclined, or a more concise version (albeit with fewer people having reported) by reading the "JR1 statistics thread" that's bouncing around.

fwiw nobody's reported receiving an email since friday, as far as i can see

choculamaviva

New

Post by choculamaviva » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm beginning to be distressed. I sent in my app in late Sept and went under review quite quickly, but didn't receive a complete email til 10/22. Still no JR1 email....I was feeling fairly good about my chances, but at this point I think it's a long shot...

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:40 pm

choculamaviva wrote:I'm beginning to be distressed. I sent in my app in late Sept and went under review quite quickly, but didn't receive a complete email til 10/22. Still no JR1 email....I was feeling fairly good about my chances, but at this point I think it's a long shot...
Yeah with your numbers I'd start packing my bags for the lower t14... but don't give up hope yet, I think you still have a decent shot at Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:53 pm

choculamaviva wrote:I'm beginning to be distressed. I sent in my app in late Sept and went under review quite quickly, but didn't receive a complete email til 10/22. Still no JR1 email....I was feeling fairly good about my chances, but at this point I think it's a long shot...
I'm in the same boat...starting to worry :?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm a little worried also, although it looks more and more like I won't be going to law school next fall anyhow.

marbletop

New

Post by marbletop » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:59 pm

VoidSix wrote:I'm a little worried also, although it looks more and more like I won't be going to law school next fall anyhow.
Why's that?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Just had the final Teach for America interview, and I'm planning to spend two years there if I get accepted (Nov. 10th is the date).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm

VoidSix wrote:Just had the final Teach for America interview, and I'm planning to spend two years there if I get accepted (Nov. 10th is the date).
Good for you. I am finishing up my second year of TFA and am really glad that I took the two years to do it.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 pm

psychomohel wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Just had the final Teach for America interview, and I'm planning to spend two years there if I get accepted (Nov. 10th is the date).
Good for you. I am finishing up my second year of TFA and am really glad that I took the two years to do it.
Thanks for the support. reading through these boards and looking at the type of people in law school, I just felt like I was definitely missing a big "life experience" component that I couldn't get from internships and part-time jobs. It came down to me asking--why rush life? TFA gives me the opportunity to really get involved in public service at a young age, which has always been why I wanted to go to law school anyhow. Seemed like a logical next step.

Good to hear you enjoyed your time. Strangely, I mostly hear horror stories (thought not horrific enough to deter me--I always knew it wouldn't be the easiest job). Mind if I ask where you did your 2 years?

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm wondering if any international applicant has gotten a JR1 email as yet. My numbers are definitely not high enough for an auto-admit but I was hoping they'd at least warrant an interview. Submitted in end September, and so I'm thinking Harvard isnt very interested. :(

Come to think of it, I've tried searching TLS for international applicants who've been called for TS interviews in the past and its yielded nothing. So I dont even know if they call applicants based abroad. Anyway, until I see that rejection, I'm holding out the tiniest bit of hope!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 pm

if those are your real numbers in your profile, i have a sneaking feeling you'll pull through. it actually makes me feel better about my own chances (and those of other early but as of yet JR1-less applicants) to know that someone who is (still) very very likely to get in and who applied around the same time as me hasn't heard anything yet. so thank you for that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 am

To those who've had their JR1s already, I assume we should not be sending JR a thank you note right? I assume that would probably just annoy him...

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:12 am

Hmm... just browsing through the phone interview statistics thread--does everyone get a complete email? My status checker says I've been "under review" for a while now, but I never received a complete email. :S And for the people who received their complete email after their JR1 email, what did your status checkers say before?

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:33 am

Saya wrote:Hmm... just browsing through the phone interview statistics thread--does everyone get a complete email? My status checker says I've been "under review" for a while now, but I never received a complete email. :S And for the people who received their complete email after their JR1 email, what did your status checkers say before?
I was "under review" according to the status checker for a couple of weeks before I got my complete email, and my JR1 came less than a full day after the complete email. I don't think there is any status change on the checker between "under review" and when a decision is actually made, regardless of your JR1 status.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 am

I was "under review" according to the status checker for a couple of weeks before I got my complete email, and my JR1 came less than a full day after the complete email. I don't think there is any status change on the checker between "under review" and when a decision is actually made, regardless of your JR1 status.
I'm curious how you are actually notified of a decision then. I know in previous years, people got a TS2 phone call. Were they told before hand that they are getting a TS2 phone call or was it just a nice surprise?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:12 am

1) don't expect a status change before your application decision has been rendered - in previous years, the TS2 always came before anything showed up in the status checker.

2) you were not informed beforehand if or when the TS2 would come. in the middle of the cycle, it would frequently come only a few days after the TS1. at the beginning of the cycle and around the winter holidays, it would take longer.

people would stop answering calls around when they thought they'd receive the TS2 (the CJ, AR, and FD are unpredictable) just so that they could keep the voicemails.
Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:32 am

Notes on Halloween from the HLS blog:
Awesome Person wrote:"Our 1L year, a group of my friends dressed up like the characters from the famous tort case Ploof v. Putnam, a case that asks whether you are allowed to tether your boat to a stranger’s dock in the middle of a storm even though it will damage the dock. Most people’s intuition about this is yes, even without permission you should be able to dock your boat in an emergency. Then you learn that the people on the boat are pirates. This makes for a much more interesting legal discussion, and a much more fun Halloween costume—what calls for festivities more than an eye patch, a swashbuckler’s hat, and a question of legal trespass for private necessity?

I’ve also seen three guys dressed up like the fox and the two hunters from Pierson v. Post, which is the first property case almost every law student in the country learns. The legal question there is who owns the fox if you chase it around forever on a hunt and then another guy comes out of nowhere and shoots it, but for the purposes of Halloween parties it just means that whenever partygoers realize why the guy is dressed up like a fox, they chase him around for a minute."
I want to go to there... :!:

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 am

joshikousei wrote:people would stop answering calls around when they think they'd receive the TS2 (the CJ, AR, and FD are unpredictable) just so that they could keep the voicemails.
What do CJ, AR, and FD stand for?

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 am

psychomohel wrote:What do CJ, AR, and FD stand for?
calls from the deans of some of the other schools (CJ & AR: Yale, FD: Stanford)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”