Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sogui

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:39 pm

I heard the first news about a JR1/holds/rejections when I left 3 hours ago expecting to come back to a flurry of activity and maybe even something in my inbox when I got back home.

No such luck.

2 JR1, 2 rejections.

I guess I should be grateful for more silence :|

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:Harvard definitely does not average LSAT scores.

I got an early JR1 with a 161 and a 169. Then again, I never got a JR2...

On the other hand, when we've seen applicants get unexpectedly held/rejected with a decent GPA and a high LSAT (175-180), it almost always turns out that the LSAT was a retake. Although it's clear that Harvard is not strict about using the LSAT average, I think it's also clear that they take retakes into account. At a minimum, they seem to count a lower first score as a negative soft factor.

Sounds logical.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Sogui wrote:I heard the first news about a JR1/holds/rejections when I left 3 hours ago expecting to come back to a flurry of activity and maybe even something in my inbox when I got back home.

No such luck.

2 JR1, 2 rejections.

There have been a few more rejections than just the couple reported here: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 pm

wouldnt it suck if HLS did rejections via phone calls as well?

and that they made the rejection phone calls on the same days they made acceptance ones?

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

alright most of us made it out alive without rejections today, it's 5 and they have closed their office. i bet the tougher rejections will start flowing soon, so far most of the rejections were predictable numbers

sukaili

Postby sukaili » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm

BenJ wrote:
dream wrote:Thank you^^

my numbers:163, 173, 4.0 (lsdas)
they received my app:1-19-10
under review:2-10-10
complete email: Mia

Good Luck everyone!

There goes my security blanket. Oh well, congratulations on getting a JR1! Fingers crossed that I'll get one some day...

+1
Congrats dream!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
Sogui wrote:I heard the first news about a JR1/holds/rejections when I left 3 hours ago expecting to come back to a flurry of activity and maybe even something in my inbox when I got back home.

No such luck.

2 JR1, 2 rejections.

There have been a few more rejections than just the couple reported here: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc

Thanks for the link, I wish they had a JR1 column = /

But I did kind of assume that TLS is proportional to the entire HLS applicant pool.

For example: Small blip in calls (last week of January, this Friday) = 2, 3 posts... a few more on LSN maybe 5x or more for the actual number of people affected by a given incident.

Big blip (NYU scholly email today) = 1-2 pages of unique posts.

I figure HLS is still fairly backed up on applicants and cherry-picked a few of the most interesting/promising ones... though the guy who went complete in November is definitely an interesting development.

Also: Congrats to the JR1s!

Also, also:
alright most of us made it out alive without [strike]rejections[/strike] JR1s today, it's 5 and they have closed their office. i bet [strike]he tougher rejections[/strike]tons of JR1s for every TLSer will start flowing soon, so far most of the rejections were predictable numbers

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 am

$1.99 wrote:alright most of us made it out alive without rejections today, it's 5 and they have closed their office. i bet the tougher rejections will start flowing soon, so far most of the rejections were predictable numbers

NOt me. I got my rejection email today. No JR1 or nothing. I went submitted my app in late November. My Numbers are 170,175 and 2.98 with pretty good softs - 12 years military and civilian work.

JohnnyTrojan08

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:08 am

Some more data for you:

Application received 1/22
Under review 2/8
JR1 email for interview 2/12
Scheduled interview 2/16

Thankfully one of my first clients got a clean sweep of Harvard, Yale, and NYU... and those are the only places she applied. :roll:

Hopefully she'll do a mock interview with me and I'll have some practice going in.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:10 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:Some more data for you:

Application received 1/22
Under review 2/8
JR1 email for interview 2/12
Scheduled interview 2/16

Thankfully one of my first clients got a clean sweep of Harvard, Yale, and NYU... and those are the only places she applied. :roll:

Hopefully she'll do a mock interview with me and I'll have some practice going in.

Thanks for the info.

That makes 2/3 of the reported JR1 emails going to people with applications in the final week.

I wonder if the rest of us will ever hear anything, if we keep expecting a "big wave" of calls we may be in for a disappointment, the idea of Harvard already being almost out of seats (hence the extreme cherrypicking on JR1 emails) scares me.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Just out of curiosity, does every single acceptance to Harvard go through the JR1---->JR2 process. I'm thinking about late acceptances, like those held until late April, or waitlist--->accepted over the summer or something. At some point does it just become a packet in the mail and that's it, or will someone on hold until May still get a JR1 e-mail if they get in?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:02 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Just out of curiosity, does every single acceptance to Harvard go through the JR1---->JR2 process. I'm thinking about late acceptances, like those held until late April, or waitlist--->accepted over the summer or something. At some point does it just become a packet in the mail and that's it, or will someone on hold until May still get a JR1 e-mail if they get in?

JR1 is a prerequisite to a JR2

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:06 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:Just out of curiosity, does every single acceptance to Harvard go through the JR1---->JR2 process. I'm thinking about late acceptances, like those held until late April, or waitlist--->accepted over the summer or something. At some point does it just become a packet in the mail and that's it, or will someone on hold until May still get a JR1 e-mail if they get in?

This I know, but does the phone interview process in general continue all the way for the few late acceptances that will trickle in is what I'm asking

Core

Postby Core » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:14 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

This I know, but does the phone interview process in general continue all the way for the few late acceptances that will trickle in is what I'm asking

Yes.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:20 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

yes, it may not be just prior to an acceptance or rejection, but you would have had a JR1 at some point in time during the cycle

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:15 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

yes, it may not be just prior to an acceptance or rejection, but you would have had a JR1 at some point in time during the cycle

So no one is ever waitlisted without getting a JR1? Or, if you get a waitlist without a JR1, is it basically the same as a rejection?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:00 pm

To get into Harvard you need to have a JR1 and then a JR2.

You can be waitlisted without a JR1 but in order to get in, you would need to get an eventual JR1 before your JR2.

Do not expect to one day magically get into Harvard without first getting an email setting up a phone interview. It will NOT happen.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 pm

crackberry wrote:To get into Harvard you need to have a JR1 and then a JR2.

You can be waitlisted without a JR1 but in order to get in, you would need to get an eventual JR1 before your JR2.

Do not expect to one day magically get into Harvard without first getting an email setting up a phone interview. It will NOT happen.

ITP, crackberry destroys illegitimate dreams.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:03 pm

crackberry wrote:To get into Harvard you need to have a JR1 and then a JR2.

Yeah, some people get waitlisted into the summer and then get a JR1 in July and a JR2 a little later. But personally holding out on a waitlist throughout the summer sounds awfully depressing. I would only do it if the school I was going to attend was near the school I was waitlisted at.

Zara

Postby Zara » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Good luck to everyone this week! Hopefully there will be a lot of jr2 calls going out tomorrow morning.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Zara wrote:Good luck to everyone this week! Hopefully there will be a lot of jr2 calls going out tomorrow morning.

With a total of 6 reported JR1 emails in the last 3 weeks, with some of those getting JR2s last week, I can't imagine that would be the case.

But I'm sure you've got one heading your way Zara.

I really hope we'll have some big waves of JR1s coming up, I have no idea how many seats Harvard has filled at this point but there are a lot of us waiting for JR1s and it seems Harvard finally broke their silence last Friday, here's to hoping that trend continues!

Core

Postby Core » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Are we sure the HLS admissions office is open tomorrow?

Zara

Postby Zara » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks! I hope so! I'm sure they'll be some JR1s going out this week so hopefully you'll get one! I have a feeling the sudden silence was because the application deadline had arrived and they needed time to take a closer look at the entire applicant pool.

I checked the law school's academic calendar and it says Classes for All Students.

edited this because I posted before seeing Core's question. Sorry!

Veritas2010

Postby Veritas2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:06 am

So got rejected yesterday. Not sure if I'm really upset with the yes from Yale. Oh well...

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:36 am

I went under review on 2/2, then got an e-mail last week that I was complete. No JR1. So that means they are probably about to send a rejection letter, I guess. Right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”