Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby adameus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Don't worry guys and gals, JR came to Vancouver to visit me (his favourite admit) and to party it up for the olympics.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


fewer, quite a lot fewer. about 80% of total admits were made at this point last year vs 65% now.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27958
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:31 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


fewer, quite a lot fewer. about 80% of total admits were made at this point last year vs 65% now.


Is that taking into account that 15-20% more people are using LSN this year? Just curious (and that number was just something I heard thrown around earlier in the cycle)

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Kronk wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


fewer, quite a lot fewer. about 80% of total admits were made at this point last year vs 65% now.


Is that taking into account that 15-20% more people are using LSN this year?


how can we have a reliable read on this? i wouldn't at all be surprised if it's true, i'm just wondering what grounds there are for such a precise figure

User avatar
nattybro
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby nattybro » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
Kronk wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


fewer, quite a lot fewer. about 80% of total admits were made at this point last year vs 65% now.


Is that taking into account that 15-20% more people are using LSN this year?


how can we have a reliable read on this? i wouldn't at all be surprised if it's true, i'm just wondering what grounds there are for such a precise figure


Looks to me like there are actually fewer people on LSN this year. Under "users" there's an option to "view all," and for 2009-2010 the list is 40 pages long... compare that to 66 pages for 08/09 and 102 pages for 07/08.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Kronk wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


fewer, quite a lot fewer. about 80% of total admits were made at this point last year vs 65% now.


Is that taking into account that 15-20% more people are using LSN this year? Just curious (and that number was just something I heard thrown around earlier in the cycle)

well if we are assuming that means a higher percentage of total admits are appearing on LSN (last year about 1/8 of total admits listed themselves on LSN) then its possible that only like 60 or 50% of total admits have gone out. But thats assuming a lot of things, firstly its assuming that there are more people listing their harvard apps, and I haven't checked that out.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Kronk wrote:Is that taking into account that 15-20% more people are using LSN this year? Just curious (and that number was just something I heard thrown around earlier in the cycle)


fwiw, i counted acceptances to date for columbia (thinking it would make me feel better to see that they're behind schedule), and the number for this year is remarkably consistent with previous years. it was like 140-something 2 years ago, 130 something last year, 140 something this year.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


and coal, a while back you made a subtle dig to my quartiles saying they would be a little better but still not good if they only included acceptances up to february each year, and i did that too (excel programming easy), and in past year, the quartiles up to february were pretty close, if only slightly on the high side, to those of the eventual accepted group. i know, still not a great metric, but better, right? and hopeful, too!

ihybridi
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby ihybridi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 pm

I know there's no way to tell for sure, but looking at the posts on this page...are we saying that Harvard at this point has sent out about 50-60% of its total acceptances?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:28 pm

ihybridi wrote:I know there's no way to tell for sure, but looking at the posts on this page...are we saying that Harvard at this point has sent out about 50-60% of its total acceptances?



Assuming LSN will in the end (that is, in May) contain approximately the same number of Harvard acceptances this year as last year, yes.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:38 pm

georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


and coal, a while back you made a subtle dig to my quartiles saying they would be a little better but still not good if they only included acceptances up to february each year, and i did that too (excel programming easy), and in past year, the quartiles up to february were pretty close, if only slightly on the high side, to those of the eventual accepted group. i know, still not a great metric, but better, right? and hopeful, too!


If that's true, then that just makes the increase in GPA's more terrifying to me as somebody whose GPA is only .03 above last year's 25th for GPA's. But of course a smaller portion have gotten in so far this year so I can hope that the 25th percentile for this cycle doesn't exceed 3.77.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Does anybody who has synthesized the data on LSN know if more people or fewer people have been accepted on LSN this cycle compared to this date last cycle?


and coal, a while back you made a subtle dig to my quartiles saying they would be a little better but still not good if they only included acceptances up to february each year, and i did that too (excel programming easy), and in past year, the quartiles up to february were pretty close, if only slightly on the high side, to those of the eventual accepted group. i know, still not a great metric, but better, right? and hopeful, too!


If that's true, then that just makes the increase in GPA's more terrifying to me as somebody whose GPA is only .03 above last year's 25th for GPA's. But of course a smaller portion have gotten in so far this year so I can hope that the 25th percentile for this cycle doesn't exceed 3.77.


the data's supposed to be comforting, not terrifying! nothing substantiates a significant change to target class profile, so the currently-inflated numbers seem to indicate a coming wave of more borderline admits, like you and me! that theory: auto-admits first, then fine-tune the numbers with the scrappier applicants.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 pm

BenJ wrote:
ihybridi wrote:I know there's no way to tell for sure, but looking at the posts on this page...are we saying that Harvard at this point has sent out about 50-60% of its total acceptances?



Assuming LSN will in the end (that is, in May) contain approximately the same number of Harvard acceptances this year as last year, yes.

Not to make everyone more pessimistic than they already are, but I think the 50-60% figure is low. In my experience, there are many people on LSN who keep their profiles private until after the admissions cycle is over. There are probably at least a few Harvard acceptances that have already occurred but that won't show up on LSN until April or May.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Dignan wrote:Not to make everyone more pessimistic than they already are, but I think the 50-60% figure is low. In my experience, there are many people on LSN who keep their profiles private until after the admissions cycle is over. There are probably at least a few Harvard acceptances that have already occurred but that won't show up on LSN until April or May.


yea i would have thought this, too, but the november acceptances are not significantly lower in number this cycle than in previous cycles, while the january/february acceptances are significantly lower in number this cycle than in previous cycles. weird, huh.

i agree 50% is a little low, but i think 60-70% is believable? yea? please?

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm

georgina wrote:
Dignan wrote:Not to make everyone more pessimistic than they already are, but I think the 50-60% figure is low. In my experience, there are many people on LSN who keep their profiles private until after the admissions cycle is over. There are probably at least a few Harvard acceptances that have already occurred but that won't show up on LSN until April or May.


yea i would have thought this, too, but the november acceptances are not significantly lower in number this cycle than in previous cycles, while the january/february acceptances are significantly lower in number this cycle than in previous cycles. weird, huh.

i agree 50% is a little low, but i think 60-70% is believable? yea? please?

It's believable. Although we probably can't pin a precise number on it, I think it's reasonable to assume that there are a substantial number of offers that have yet to be made.

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Genki » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:16 pm

So am I right in assuming that we have gone another day without any new JR1 emails going out?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Genki wrote:So am I right in assuming that we have gone another day without any new JR1 emails going out?

But JR1s usually go out on Fridays

:mrgreen:

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

crackberry wrote:
Genki wrote:So am I right in assuming that we have gone another day without any new JR1 emails going out?

But JR1s usually go out on Fridays

:mrgreen:


Right, of course. We'll all get JR1 emails tomorrow. Unless we get them on Monday. They usually go out on Mondays, you know.

:mrgreen:

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby PoorOrpheus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 pm

crackberry wrote:
Genki wrote:So am I right in assuming that we have gone another day without any new JR1 emails going out?

But JR1s usually go out on Fridays

:mrgreen:

I thought Fridays were Rejections, unless you're just being :twisted:.

:P

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby $1.99 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:50 pm

time for me to go into matrix mode and dodge the harvard rejection email bullet tomorrow

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby tomhobbes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 pm

$1.99 wrote:time for me to go into matrix mode and dodge the harvard rejection email bullet tomorrow


Shouldn't have said that dude, you set yourself up for a rejection plus the "Dodge this" line. :(

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 pm

$1.99 wrote:time for me to go into matrix mode and dodge the harvard rejection email bullet tomorrow


lame. true Neo Matrix mode is stopping the rejection email before it gets into your inbox, and shooting it back to JR (bonus if you force him to accept the rejection email too)

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby tomhobbes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:02 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
$1.99 wrote:time for me to go into matrix mode and dodge the harvard rejection email bullet tomorrow


lame. true Neo Matrix mode is stopping the rejection email before it gets into your inbox, and shooting it back to JR (bonus if you force him to accept the rejection email too)


Or maybe you could absorb JR then next year fight off 1000 angry Josh Rubensteins.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Anyone from late Nov/early Dec. UR batch who has not heard ANYTHING back yet?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac8876a, amberb94, Google [Bot], NotAGolfer, Snowjon and 18 guests