Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 am

notanumber wrote:
$1.99 wrote:with a 177 and a 3.9 gpa i think you will be fine if you just go to bed


Words that would be more comforting with a JR1. Also, those aren't my exact stats (gotta throw off the adcoms, don'tcha know. Not that I post anything offensive or incriminating. Hi Josh! Can't wait to talk to you!).


looks like you have a good bit of work experience as well though

so as long as your "functionally equivalent" numbers arent very liberal estimates (like by 177 you meant 172), you're golden imo

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby notanumber » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 am

DoubleChecks wrote: looks like you have a good bit of work experience as well though


Work? Me work? Perish the thought!

But seriously, I know I'm in a good spot. But I do have some significant potentially negative factors that might work against me and I'll remain on pins and needles until I'm accepted.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:38 am

notanumber wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: looks like you have a good bit of work experience as well though


Work? Me work? Perish the thought!

But seriously, I know I'm in a good spot. But I do have some significant potentially negative factors that might work against me and I'll remain on pins and needles until I'm accepted.


"Significant potentially negative factors" sounds really sinister.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby notanumber » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 am

BenJ wrote: "Significant potentially negative factors" sounds really sinister.


Sinister? Perhaps. But nothing I'm ashamed of. I didn't shoot a man just to watch him die.

But I do have things on my resume that adcoms might react poorly towards. And I'm not 100% sure that my LORs were particularly strong (long story that I'll be happy to share post-decisions).

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 am

notanumber wrote:
BenJ wrote: "Significant potentially negative factors" sounds really sinister.


Sinister? Perhaps. But nothing I'm ashamed of. I didn't shoot a man just to watch him die.

But I do have things on my resume that adcoms might react poorly towards. And I'm not 100% sure that my LORs were particularly strong (long story that I'll be happy to share post-decisions).


huh. did you shoot a man for any other reason?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 am

"What are your qualifications for this job?"

"Well, I've never killed a man."

Can anyone name that movie? Pretty obscure reference I know.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby notanumber » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 am

DoubleChecks wrote: huh. did you shoot a man for any other reason?

No comment.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:22 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
notanumber wrote:
BenJ wrote: "Significant potentially negative factors" sounds really sinister.


Sinister? Perhaps. But nothing I'm ashamed of. I didn't shoot a man just to watch him die.

But I do have things on my resume that adcoms might react poorly towards. And I'm not 100% sure that my LORs were particularly strong (long story that I'll be happy to share post-decisions).


huh. did you shoot a man for any other reason?


when I saw that i was like... lol of course you didn't, you shot him because that dirty cheater had to pay.. "nobody rips me off and gets away with it" right?

chopsticks3092
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby chopsticks3092 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:25 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
notanumber wrote:Okay kids. Legally Blonde showed in my mail today (Netflix). I sense that this is a premonition. I'll watch it tonight as I'm going to bed and Harvard will offer me a phone interview tomorrow.

You heard it here first.


She got the same LSAT score I did and she got into Harvard, so I hope that helps me.


But don't forget that she had a 4.0 and was a friend to the animals! :D

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:08 am

crackberry wrote:"What are your qualifications for this job?"

"Well, I've never killed a man."

Can anyone name that movie? Pretty obscure reference I know.

This is from a movie that I didn't watch closely (it was on cable at a friend's house), but I vaguely remember a scene where Benicio Del Toro is being interviewed at a sperm bank, and he kept insisting that the fact that he never killed anybody was a relevant qualification. Am I close?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27949
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 am

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:"What are your qualifications for this job?"

"Well, I've never killed a man."

Can anyone name that movie? Pretty obscure reference I know.

This is from a movie that I didn't watch closely (it was on cable at a friend's house), but I vaguely remember a scene where Benicio Del Toro is being interviewed at a sperm bank, and he kept insisting that the fact that he never killed anybody was a relevant qualification. Am I close?


Very close.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:53 am

$1.99 wrote:everyone ready for another round of jr1s tomm?


ohgodohgodohgod

User avatar
nattybro
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby nattybro » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 am

$1.99 wrote:everyone ready for another round of jr1s tomm?


yes please

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:34 am

question for you all-- has anyone seen any evidence outside of the TLS/LSN world indicating the change we sense JR and the economy have brought? like, did JR ever drop a line somewhere saying they intend to overtake yale in gpa this year, or that their admissions philosophies have changed, or anything?

the quartiles for those admitted this cycle on LSN so far are 3.87/3.97/3.98 and 173/175/176. the spreads are narrower than usual for LSN, and gpa's don't dip as low as usual for LSN. speculation, anyone?


jesus christ, no wonder i never got a JR2 at 171/3.9 with average softs. i know that the quartiles will be lower for those who actually attend but still.....

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 am

crackberry wrote:"What are your qualifications for this job?"

"Well, I've never killed a man."

Can anyone name that movie? Pretty obscure reference I know.


the way of the gun

User avatar
Consigliere
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Consigliere » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:41 am

Kronk wrote:
Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:"What are your qualifications for this job?"

"Well, I've never killed a man."

Can anyone name that movie? Pretty obscure reference I know.

This is from a movie that I didn't watch closely (it was on cable at a friend's house), but I vaguely remember a scene where Benicio Del Toro is being interviewed at a sperm bank, and he kept insisting that the fact that he never killed anybody was a relevant qualification. Am I close?


Very close.


Is that from the Way of the Gun? Edit: Damn, beat me to it

that movie has the second best opening sequence of all time, right after Super Troopers
Last edited by Consigliere on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
question for you all-- has anyone seen any evidence outside of the TLS/LSN world indicating the change we sense JR and the economy have brought? like, did JR ever drop a line somewhere saying they intend to overtake yale in gpa this year, or that their admissions philosophies have changed, or anything?

the quartiles for those admitted this cycle on LSN so far are 3.87/3.97/3.98 and 173/175/176. the spreads are narrower than usual for LSN, and gpa's don't dip as low as usual for LSN. speculation, anyone?


jesus christ, no wonder i never got a JR2 at 171/3.9 with average softs. i know that the quartiles will be lower for those who actually attend but still.....


hmm it would be a good idea to compute the LSN quartiles from last year and compare IMO

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 am

englawyer wrote:hmm it would be a good idea to compute the LSN quartiles from last year and compare IMO


LSN only, outright admits only:

09-10 173/175/177 3.87/3.94/3.98
08-09 172/175/177 3.8175/3.905/3.96
07-08 173/175/177 3.8/3.91/3.98
06-07 172/175/177 3.8/3.91/3.96
05-06 172/174/177 3.8/3.89/3.955

yes, i really do have nothing better to do with my time. jk, excel made it easy.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:58 am

why did your other post say 3.87/3.97/3.98 for this year and now it says 3.94 for median? yesterday's admits?

geez, the rise of that 25th percentile GPA is pretty phenomenal; it is bad news for both traditional splitters and for us 'soft' reverse splitters.....actually, i guess it is worse for us bc for traditional splitters their GPA will be below median no matter what but their LSAT will be way above whereas for 'soft' reverse splitters now our GPAs are may be barely above the 25th percentile and our LSATs significantly below 25th percentile

i think this data suggests that traditional splitters are going to be in a better position for acceptance in the next couple months.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:08 pm

That data makes me happy because the LSAT scores don't seem to have gotten better. You people need to stop freaking out though. The admissions cycle isn't over and those GPA's are going to go down as they admit more borderline applicants. A better way to do this would be to analyze the quartiles of people admitted up to this date in each cycle. And even that would be flawed.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:10 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
question for you all-- has anyone seen any evidence outside of the TLS/LSN world indicating the change we sense JR and the economy have brought? like, did JR ever drop a line somewhere saying they intend to overtake yale in gpa this year, or that their admissions philosophies have changed, or anything?

the quartiles for those admitted this cycle on LSN so far are 3.87/3.97/3.98 and 173/175/176. the spreads are narrower than usual for LSN, and gpa's don't dip as low as usual for LSN. speculation, anyone?


jesus christ, no wonder i never got a JR2 at 171/3.9 with average softs. i know that the quartiles will be lower for those who actually attend but still.....


i envy you for even having had the chance to hear JR's voice on the phone, i have same stats and was held.

mh7777
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby mh7777 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:The admissions cycle isn't over and those GPA's are going to go down as they admit more borderline applicants.


This.

Those numbers give me hope, because it shows that we shouldn't expect such a big jump.

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:why did your other post say 3.87/3.97/3.98 for this year and now it says 3.94 for median? yesterday's admits?


oh, uhh 3.97 was a typo and should have been 3.94. sorry, will go edit. i did add all of yesterday's people, but they didn't change the GPA numbers. this time it's copy/pasted from excel, so no typos.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:why did your other post say 3.87/3.97/3.98 for this year and now it says 3.94 for median? yesterday's admits?

geez, the rise of that 25th percentile GPA is pretty phenomenal; it is bad news for both traditional splitters and for us 'soft' reverse splitters.....actually, i guess it is worse for us bc for traditional splitters their GPA will be below median no matter what but their LSAT will be way above whereas for 'soft' reverse splitters now our GPAs are may be barely above the 25th percentile and our LSATs significantly below 25th percentile

i think this data suggests that traditional splitters are going to be in a better position for acceptance in the next couple months.


or it just means that higher numbers are admitted earlier.
here is the really important issue: harvard has only admitted around 60% as many applicants so far on lsn as it did last year: ~105 this year and around 165 last year. Thing is, looking at lsn there aren't very many january applicants with autoadmit numbers (most really qualified applicants apply earlier on). What's clear is that Harvard has held way more applicants this year than before and that many of these holds are going to be admitted. As I discussed earlier on the hold thread, it seems like holds might make up around 20% of the total admits. Even if thats generous I think due to new dean etc Harvard has mostly only accepted autoadmit applicants on a rolling basis and is waiting until later to get to its borderline-admits. There's no reason to think the 25th will be higher this year; it just seems that increased holds mean that Harvard is holding on to its numerically weaker admits until later in the cycle.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

$1.99 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
question for you all-- has anyone seen any evidence outside of the TLS/LSN world indicating the change we sense JR and the economy have brought? like, did JR ever drop a line somewhere saying they intend to overtake yale in gpa this year, or that their admissions philosophies have changed, or anything?

the quartiles for those admitted this cycle on LSN so far are 3.87/3.97/3.98 and 173/175/176. the spreads are narrower than usual for LSN, and gpa's don't dip as low as usual for LSN. speculation, anyone?


jesus christ, no wonder i never got a JR2 at 171/3.9 with average softs. i know that the quartiles will be lower for those who actually attend but still.....


i envy you for even having had the chance to hear JR's voice on the phone, i have same stats and was held.


i was held, too.....just after several agonizing mondays with no JR2.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, ramp_999 and 14 guests